3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Way Over 40 #11 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/47791-way-over-40-11-a.html)

Lizziepie 10-10-2004 10:23 PM

Way Over 40 #11

Siwa: I searched a bit and found the secret. At the top of the Support Group page, there is a box which says forum tools. I clicked on that, and down came a menu and one of the choices is to start a new thread.

Yes, they found a malignancy, but the Dr. assures me that it is early and there should be no reason not to expect a complete cure. But surgery is what he reccommends, so I see the Surgeon on Thursday the 14th. And then I'll know more about what is going to happen and when.

It sure was like a kick in the belly, when he first told me, as I had never even thought about such a development. I was always concerned with breast cancer, since my mother had a masectomy.

But I know God is good, and I put my trust in Him and that things will be all right.

Hope you all had a nice weekend. I'll keep you posted. Ann

Lizziepie 10-12-2004 02:58 PM

Siwa:L Look for where it says Forum Tools, and the menu drops down. Where is everyone? Ann

aleka 10-12-2004 06:41 PM

Hi,

I do lurk here occasionally just to see how everyone is doing.

Ann, what a terrible thing to have to go through. Thank goodness they found it in time. Good luck with your Dr. appt on Thurs. I'll be thinking about you and will keep you in my prayers.

Hi Barb, Siwa, Candace :wave:

Alice

Lizziepie 10-12-2004 09:32 PM

Oh Alice - So glad to hear from you. How did you fare with the hurricane problems we in the "Plywood State" experienced. Are you all settled and happy with your new home. Please don't just lurk, let us know how you are doing. Thank you for your prayers. Ann

aleka 10-13-2004 01:08 PM

Hi,

We made it to FL ok, but it was a bumpy road getting here. Our first night in the house was when hurricane Jeanne hit. We fared very well with Jeanne only getting high winds and a lot of rain. We never lost any of our services. Thankfully we didn't own the house when Charley hit and the only damage was a couple of shingles that blew off. The people who we bought the house from were in the process of building a new one and thankfully that only had minimal damage. We have since been down to Port Charlotte & Punta Gorda to see the devastation. They have been cleaned up a bit, but it still looks like a war zone.

Because of hurricane Jeanne we had to wait 2 weeks for our furniture to arrive. The movers left NH 1 or 2 days after we did, they were in NC when Jeanne was approaching. So, the dispatcher called the truck back to NH. The driver had driven as many hrs. as he's allowed so the truck just sat in NH. After the 1st week DH called the movers and when he found out the truck was still sitting in NH he practically bit the guy's head off. We did get our furniture and stuff last Fri. We had been sleeping on a blow up mattress sitting in some lawn chairs, and using cardboard boxes to eat off of.

We passed papers on the house Aug. 27th and told the couple we bought the house from that since their new house was nowhere near ready to move into they could stay in the house until we moved in towards the middle of Sept. About 2 nights after we passed papers, the hose to the washing machine burst flooding the entire house with 1 1/2" of water. Thankfully they were still living here. They had just gotten home when they discovered water running out of the garage. They immediately called someone and they came up to dry the place out. They had caught it in time before the mold would set in. The kitchen floor was gone, that was ok because we were going to put ceramic tile in right away. We were going to live with the carpet for a while, but that had to be replaced too. Thankfully we did have insurance.

We arrived at the house late afternoon on a Thurs. intending to move right in. The guys had been in that day to lay the ceramic tile with no grout. There was yellow caution tape all over the place where the tile was. We had no bathroom facilities. So, we had to call around to find a motel that would take the dog. We did find one in the next town, Englewood. But, they were not taking reservations because of the displaced people from hurricane Charley and the work crews who were helping with the cleanup. It was on a first come first serve basis. DH explained our situation and the desk clerk said that there were 2 rooms available and if we got there before they were taken, we could have 1 of them. So, we rushed out, found the motel, and snagged a room where we spent a couple of days. It wasn't the cleanest room in captivity, but at that point beggers couldn't be choosers.

Anyway, we're here and unpacking. It was an experience, and one I do not wish to repeat. ;)

Ann, how did you fare with all the hurricanes? I believe your area got hit by them all. DH & I were glued to the WC when the hurricanes were heading towards FL. We were in the midst of packing when Charley hit and we stopped until we heard from someone. Good luck tomorrow with your appt.

Alice

Lizziepie 10-13-2004 08:52 PM

Alice: In comparison to many others in our park we fared very well. We will have to have a new roof, from Charley, but frances and Jeanne also took a few more shingles. We lost one piece of facia on the front scree porch, and had a small hole in one screen section, as well as one other one which blew in. But that is minor. Many houses in our park were totaled. The residents in a park near us still can't get into their homes because of flooding. It damaged their sewer system and the Bd. of Health won' allow them to move in for at least 4 to 5- weeks later. they have all had to find alternate living.

And you are right - all three went right over our part of Polk Co. It was a unique experience, I hope we don't have to live thru again. We stayed in our house during Charley, but when the next one came - I said never again, and we found a shelter at our church where we could take our dog with us.

It is nice to hear from you and you have certainly had your troubles too. Hope when you get all unpacked that you will be back with us. This board has been very quiet.
Talk to you another day. Ann

Siwaoasis 10-13-2004 11:12 PM

RE:quiet board---I was out of town at our cabin but where is Candice?? She's always here but no word lately.

It was an absolutely perfect 3 days at the cabin for leaf viewing. 69 degrees, sunny skies and gorgeous leaves this year. My parents and a friend were with us and we had a great time.

ALICE--What a time you've had with the weather and all you wanted was to escape cold winters. Hope that things are going better and that you are all settled in by now.

ANN--I'll be thinking of you with your appointment tomorrow. Keep us posted. Thanks for clueing me about how to begin new threads.

Candicej 10-15-2004 06:34 AM

I'm around, I couldn't get this site to work for awhile. Sounds like you all survived the florida weather! (Alice and Lizzie)

I think I got my yeast thing under control...what a time I had, couldn't even sit for very long or even walk! No oven, it's on the blink, we think it just needs a new element in the broiler. I would like a new over but DH says no for now:( So no baking yet! Did do a WW pumpkin pie a few weeks ago.

Lizzie, I will keep you in my prayers....that has to be scarey for you.

Siwa....rainy here and cold. Got the graden all pulled up but still have some outside pants to cut back and bring in.

Siwaoasis 10-15-2004 09:52 AM

CANDICE--We still have not had a freeze. They keep threatening us but it never materializes. I've quit watering the garden cuz I know the end is near. Just picked 5 gorgeous dahlias last nite and there are many more buds that won't become flowers. I can't even dig those up til they freeze. Have 100's of tulips to plant yet. Just can't get myself out there in the dirt. Raining today so I guess I'll just have to put it off for another day.

DH and DS are going to the cabin this weekend to put the boat and dock away for the winter. I have no special plans

Lizziepie 10-15-2004 03:08 PM

Just a quick Hi. Just got the call and the surgery will be on the 26th. Another whole week to wait. But that is the way it goes sometimes. At least that will give me time to make all the calls I need to do, etc.

We are supposed to have some much cooler temperatures here over the weekend. Maybe in the high 50's. Brrr!:D:

Candice: My oven went on the fritz late this summer, and I have wanted a new stove with the glass top, and our stove was about 20yrs. old. So I have my new stove. The oven works like a charm. I love it and the top is so easy to keep clean. Hope you can talk your DH into a new one, since sometimes the repair of the old is more costly that one things. And you still have an old stove. I bet he misses the baking.

Talk to you all later. Ann

Lizziepie 10-19-2004 01:01 PM

Okay !!!!! Where is everyone? I'm on the count-down now. See you later. Ann

Siwaoasis 10-19-2004 08:48 PM

Worked in the garden 4 back breaking hours today planting tulips. First I had to prepare the ground by digging up all the thistles and other weeds that had invaded the space since summer. Then I planted only 120 bulbs this year. Also dug up the dahlias. Nice day for working outside tho--overcast and 50 degrees. I didn't get hot or cold and no sun in my eyes. Supposed to be 60 tomorrow and then 4 days of rain. Lots more garden to cut down so hoping for nicer weather next week. I still have a few things blooming--mums and monk's hoods and even some impatiens next to the house that were able to survive the freeze. Just about time to bring the fish in.

ANN--I'm counting with you and will be thinking good thoughts for you on your day.

Candicej 10-20-2004 08:08 AM

Cleaning day was Monday and I'm pooped and sore of course. Got my pots cut back but they are still in the garage.

DH does not want to purchase a new stove right now so we ordered a new element.. hoping that is what it is..I sure miss my baking! The stove is 28 years old and it is smooth top but badly stanied form years of use (the smooth top is white). I really want a new one but will have to wait I guess.

Did you all get a flu shot? We got them early before all the fuss about the shortage.

DS is doing well in med school and has to decide where he want to do rotations next year, he is thinking Michigan or Ohio. He will be here on November 11th for supper and to sstay all night on his way to a wedding (his old roomate is getting married).

Our other son needs another sinus surgery (his 3rd)..he trying to lose some weight before he has it. He has really bad allergies and asthma along with sleep apnea.

Lizziepie 10-22-2004 07:36 AM

Well, thanks to the Dr. having to go out of town, my surgery date has changed to Nov. 2nd. Good think I elected to vote absentee this year. Hope everyone has a good weekend. Ann

Candicej 10-22-2004 08:17 AM

Bad day today..not sleeping well.......need to fine some kind of med I can tolorate to help with the pain when it gets bad.

Sorry Lizzie about your change in schedule:(

aleka 10-22-2004 09:07 AM

Ann, sorry about the change in schedule. I'm sure you just want to get the surgery over with. I'm still thinking of you.

Alice

Siwaoasis 10-22-2004 09:35 AM

Sure could tell it had been a few weeks since I'd been in the garden. The sore muscles lasted for a couple days. I always think that because I go to Curves I'm working most muscles and gardening shouldn't be such a pain--literally, but it doesn't work that way. Those people who think gardening isn't exercise must only have flowers in a couple pots! All better now tho. Taking our oldest cat to the vet today. Wondering if the changes in him are just old age or if there is some problem. Had a crown prep yesterday and it went so quickly that it was a breeze. Unfortunately it's probably because I'm getting used to the procedure cuz I've had it so many times. I just hate the fact that I'm having so many crowns but.........the dentist said it's happening to all the baby boomers due to the silver fillings expanding and contracting so that they crack the teeth. Oh well, such is life!

Had a good time last nite at Red Hat 500 club and I'm not even a card player. I'm just learning and so I just plunge right in w/my bids thinking I'll never make them and then I often take more tricks than I bid. I am somewhat of a timid bidder. I haven't learned when I have enuf to do well.

ANN--I've changed the date of your surgery in my mind and so November it is.

soready 10-22-2004 07:50 PM

Ann, sorry to hear you need surgery but you certainly will be in my thought and prayers that the outcome will be good.
Alice,Sounds like you have had quite a welcome to Fla. We were told we lost some screens on the lanai but we will deal with it when we get back. We leave Dec 2 and we can't wait. The leaves have turned and they are falling fast. It's getting cold here and I can't wait to come back to Venice. Perhaps we can meet for lunch.
Haven't posted here in a while cause I couldn't find you guys.
I'm not concerned about the flu shot as I have never taken one. Figure if I stay out of crowds and do alot of handwashing I should be OK.
Hope everyone is doing well. Bernice

aleka 10-23-2004 07:04 AM

Bernice, we got a nice big welcome from Jeanne :lol: Thankfully we had no damage whatsoever. I think we were just south of it. Getting together for lunch sounds like a great idea. This weekend they're having some sort of festival in Centennial Park in Venice. They're closing off parts of Venice Ave. & Nokomis Ave. We had planned on going, but when we heard how many people were expected, we decided to stay put, as we don't like crowds all that much. The weather here has been hot. Last Sunday was delightful, we were able to shut the air off and open up the whole house. One day DH & I were somewhere, either Walmart or some other store, and I saw a lady walking with about 4 or 5 little white dogs all on leashes and I thought of you.

Ann, hope you're doing ok. Has it cooled off where you are?

Hi Siwa, Candace :wave:

Have a good Saturday.
Alice

Siwaoasis 10-23-2004 11:40 AM

ALICE--I used to live on Nokomis Ave here in MN! We also have a Hiawatha Av, Lake Hiawatha, statue of Hiawatha, etc. All those indian names are all over here.

Lizziepie 10-23-2004 09:01 PM

Hi everyone:
Bernice: How nice to hear from you. I think you must have a new email address since I haven't had any luck with kashapuppy. Glad to hear you didn't get much damage from any of the hurricanes. We are waiting for new shingles, but we are not leaking so of course we are not on the priority list. I had been wondering where you finally built your house. Do you like the Venice area? My SIL and BIL go to Bonita Springs every winter. They like it, but we don't like the traffic. Central Fl just doesn't get the
enormous amout of traffic yet, but I am fearful it is coming because there is so much building going on all around here.

Siwa: I'll now be finding my 'other' muscles, (as I do Curves too) as I spent most of today transplanting amaryillis bulbs, and doing some chrysanthemums out front. I wanted to get all that done, so they could get a good start, before I go to the hospital. Right now everything looks very pretty. I hope they all survive.

Alice: I'm with you and crowds, and right now I sure am staying away from them. Don't want any bugs. I did get a flu shot this past week. It was available, and so I took advantage of it. The Dr. said it didn't matter before or after, so I picked before.

It is some cooler, but not a lot. We had one really cool Sunday, and it was nice to have the air off. We had a good breeze today, so I didn't mind working outside. Ordinarlily, I wouldn't work outside during the afternoon. I would do it early in the a.m. or wait until after 4:00p.m. I got a bit of sunburn on my face. That is unusual for me since I most often wear a hat, but didn't do it today.

Where are you this weekend, Candice? Making cookies?

Have a good one, everyone. Ann

soready 10-24-2004 12:12 AM

It's getting cold here up North and we can't wait to head South. We have all those indian names here too and a town called Lake Hiawatha. We didn't think Venice or the surrounding area was that crowded, remember we come from NJ which is super congested. Never had trouble getting into restaurants and any place where there was something going on was not at all bad with all the people. Plenty of building going on in Sarasota County too. Wasn't me with all those doggies but we are acoming. The only thing I don't like is they have to be taken out on a leash where here I open my door, they do their business and come right in. But the pluses outweigh the minuses so I just make the best of it. Ann, add tellurian . net to the first part and you have my e-mail addy. Alice, we definetely will meet as we live so close. Catch ya all later. Bernice

Candicej 10-24-2004 06:25 AM

No baking here....still no oven and I really msis it! Spent 3 hours getting the garage ready for winter but still not done, we have DH's side to do yet...got all my pots emptied out and stored finnally. Over 50 pots..........I think I need to cut back! I know I use alot of muslces when I garden too. I thought you all would be so fit going to curves..wonder why that does not get all the muscles?

aleka 10-24-2004 07:30 AM

Good morning,

Siwa, the town just north of Venice is called Nokomis, and the welcome sign has an American Indian on it, who I believe is Hiawatha, but it looks more like a woman to me. In NH we had a lot of Indian names too. Lake Winnepesaukee and most of the lakes around were Indian names. There were also a few streets. Down here some of the streets have a Spanish origin.

Ann, right now the traffic isn't too..too bad. We've been told that in the winter months it takes you twice as long to get somewhere. There seems to be quite a few accidents. I'm going to have to be on my toes a lot down here, where I'm not used it coming from the sticks. Where I live now there are quite a few empty lots with a lot of vegetation on them. Our street is a relatively quite one, for which I'm thankful. There is a lot of building going on around us though. I think North Port is just seeing its boom.

Bernice, you're on for lunch some day. To me, Venice has a lot of traffic. :eek: Especially Rte 41 & the by-pass. Rte 41 is awful during the winter. But, in the off season you can fire a canon down it and not hit anything. :lol: You would be amazed at the difference.

Candice, good luck with getting your garage ready for winter. I know that iss quite a chore.

Have a great day.
Alice

soready 10-25-2004 02:36 AM

Hi Alice, We spent our first winter in Venice and even tho all us snobirds were here and there was traffic I still didn't think it was as bad as the way people drive there. Took some getting used to, to have people cross over 4-6 lanes of traffic when you are going 50 miles an hr on 41. Kamikazi driving. Here in NJ we have jughandles which I know is an anethema to those not used to it but we don't take our lives in our hands trying to go across the highway. Found out what defensive driving means.
North Port will experience a huge building boom proposed for the next 10 years. Can you imagine what 41 will be like then? Actually the only roads are 41 and 75 and when a truck took out the bridge on 75 you can't believe what was doing on Jacaranda and 41. It went on for days till they could rebuild the bridge. Erik Estrada is the spokesman for a development company pushing lots in Northport. It runs on TV here all the time. 24,ooo dollars for a 1/4 acre lot I think.
Have you been to Siesta Key? Fabulous beach. We land up there several times a week for an hr or two. I just love the blue green water of the Gulf. Time to go to bed, can't sleep so I put a load of laundry in and it's 2:36 AM so I'll say good-nite. Bernice

Lizziepie 10-25-2004 09:23 AM

Even tho' I like the beach, you have just described why we aare happy here in Central Fl. Being a sort of 'country girl' that traffic just boggles my mind. We took 45 min. to go 6 miles last winter with SIL in Bonita Beach. That is just not for me.

Today DH goes for another epidural. I sure hope this relieves the pain he has. A busy week, but I'll be back now and again. Ann

Candicej 10-28-2004 01:26 AM

Sounds like florida is getting to crowed!

No sleep today and yesterday we got the oven fixed so I got it all ceaned up, went for a hair cut ( too short again) and then off shopping and it was rainy and windy the whole time. Now I am very tired......baked some ham and potatoes in my fresh cleaned oven! So hope I can sleep today.

Candicej 10-31-2004 06:52 AM

:D ;) :lol:

aleka 11-01-2004 07:41 AM

Good morning,

It's awfully muggy here this morning. I was wilted by the time we got back from our walk.

My IL's were here for a couple days before heading to Ft Myers. They loved the house and my MIL was all set to move in. :fr: :lol:

Ann, good luck to you tomorrow. I will be thinking of you. :lucky: :goodluck:

Bernice, we've had some lovely weather here. On Sat. we had the house wide open and it was great. We have been running the air these past couple of days though. Sat. we went for a ride to discover Englewood. It's nice over there. When my IL's were here we went to Venice for dinner one night. Being New Englanders, we went to Bit of Boston. It's one of our favorite places to eat. It won't be long before you'll be heading this way. There really aren't too many people around yet. It should be interesting to see how crowded it is this year with so many places destroyed by Charley, the rentals are few and far between.

Hi Siwa, Candice :wave:

Have a good day.
Alice

Lizziepie 11-01-2004 08:45 AM

good Morning everyone: I'm sticking close to the bathroom as I am working on the colonoscopy procedure. Have to go in this a.m. The Dr. will mark the spot for tomorrow. So you probably won't hear from me for about a week.

Candice: You were talking about not sleeping. does the full moon affect your sleep? It does mine. I can almost always count on one or two bad nights when there is a full moon. And this time with the eclipse it was 3 nights, up in the living room reading etc.

Alice: We are having nice weather. It is so nice. My DD ishere to be with us when I have the surgery. It is nice to have her here.

Hi Siwa - Bernice- Hope you all are having good days. Say a prayer or two on Tues. Ann

soready 11-01-2004 02:25 PM

Ann, Good thoughts and prayers are being sent from up here to you. Wishing you an uneventful recovery.
Alice, Today is beautiful but the leaves are almost all down so it's getting ugly to look at the naked trees. Can't wait to come back, we are on a countdown. Doing last minute things like trying to eat out the house of stuff in the freezer and pantry as we will be gone 5 months. Getting the dogs tuned up like having their teeth cleaned and shots up to date and groomed. We have some last minute medical appointments to get out of the way. We are starting to plan what to bring back with us. You won't see much of a change in population till about January when most of the snobirds come back. Most of them don't rent but have that second home They seem to leave at the end of April so it really wasn't that bad. Where you are located it is even quieter. Venice is busier and of course Sarasota is where its happening. If you like ribs I recommend The Golddust I think it's called right after the Bridge on Venice Island. That place gets really busy cause they have all you can eat nights. We found lots of good restaurants and can't wait to try lots more. I love when you can open up the whole house and the outside becomes part of the inside. Probably what I like best about Fla living.
Hope all the rest of you have a good week and didn't blow it with Halloween. Only had 15 kids ring the doorbell so it was great. Bernice

Siwaoasis 11-01-2004 03:49 PM

Not much going on here. Having a nice long fall but lots of cloudy, misty days lately. People are complaining cuz we haven't seen the sun for a couple weeks. I did about 4 hours of garden clean up today. Have lots more to do but 4 hours is enuf at one time. I have the critical stuff done so if it snows now it will just have to wait til spring.

ANN--Thoughts and prayers going your way until we hear from you after the surgery.

CANDICE--Did you have a 70 degree day last week as we did? Was also very humid too.

It's pretty certain that we won't be going south this winter and I'm not looking forward to winter at all.

Candicej 11-02-2004 12:56 AM

Yep Siwa and I worked outside...like you critical stuff done but still more to do......Cold and wet here so hurting of course!

Lizzie...thinking of you :goodvibes :grouphug:

Candicej 11-04-2004 07:25 AM

:d

Coolmom 11-04-2004 07:43 AM

Question for u guys.....
Way over 40.....is that age?????
CM

soready 11-05-2004 12:57 PM

Hi Coolmom, Yes, that's over the age of 40 as we are a lovely group of woman in our late 50's.early 60's and 70's. All plagued with the same problem of obesity and struggling to control our weight. Please feel free to join us. Has anyone heard how Ann is doing? Bernice

aleka 11-07-2004 07:25 AM

Good morning,

Coolmom, WELCOME!!! Yes, we are all well over 40. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Bernice, in Ann's last post I believe she said that she'd be missing about a week. I hope she's doing well. DH & I went to an art show in Venice yesterday. They blocked off W. Venice Ave. We were looking for something "Floridian" to put over our sliding glass doors in the living room. Everything was beautiful, but so expensive. We did come away with a ceramic wall hanging of a Boston Terrier, which DH hung over the sliders. It looks lost on the wall, but it will do until we find something. It has cooled off, it's been in the high 70's to low 80's, with low 60's early in the morning. I've put on long pants for the first time since we got here.

Siwa, will you and your DH be going to Alabama this winter like you have in the past?

Hi Candice :wave:

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Alice

Candicej 11-08-2004 04:56 PM

I'm hurting, to much cleaning I guess, been at it for a few days trying to pace myself but it still hurts! My son will be Thursday so gotta go get the sheets on his bed. My cleaning help called in sick today so I'm doing it alone.

..my IBS was so bad this weekend...might be the whole batch of lemon bars a made and ate:D

My son ordered me a refurbished inkjet cartridge and it is leaking everywhere and it is still sealed ink all over!!!!!!!!! I reordered some new ones from Office Max..no one seems to carry them in the stores anymore, a very old printer but it still works good. Stilll checking into cameras....DH just does not want to spend the money on anything good! Do you all know anything about digitals?

Candicej 11-09-2004 01:08 AM

:)

soready 11-09-2004 11:10 AM

Hi Alice and Candice,
As for the digital camera we have a Kodak DC215 which we hate because it's heavy and we never understood how to dock it to the computer so we bought a Casio Exilim EX s3 which I love because it's the size of a credit card and 3.2 megapixels. I carry it in my pocketbook, very light and extremely easy to use. Beautiful pictures,has zoom and makes 30 sec movies.
The docking statin is small and it's easy to download on the computer. I think we paid about 300 dollars for it.
The art fair in Venice is twice a year and the artist had beautiful and yes expensive items for sale but it was art and not craft type items. We bought a watercolor for our bedroom that I just love. You will see there are arts and crafts shows going on all the time and sometimes you see the same thing over and over. We found there was plenty to do and go and see. There is a good show in Sarasota in the middle of winter with music, food and activities. It was fun.
We actually are flying to Fla Sat as My DH's aunt died and will be buried here tomorrow and so we are going down to clean out the apt. Lovely job but someone has to do it. We will come back only to drive down to our house 2 weeks later. It's getting bitter cold here so I really don't mind the idea of one less week here.\
Have loads to do when we get there as we have furniture and window treatments ready to be delivered. Want to look for wallpaper and do the bathrooms and kitchen. Would have loved to have bought a model home and have had nothing to do. Oh well! Have a good day ladies. Bernice