Old 10-18-2004, 06:17 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #42

Good Afternoon/Evening Flowers!
Just peeking in to say "hello" and read the posts. I have card club tonight so may not get back here depending on how late I'm out.

It's been a gloomy day but fairly warm compared to last week. Rain is predicted for the middle of the week so the farmers are going fast and furious to try and get most of the harvest done. DH left at 7:30 this morning and probably won't be home until around 9 or so. He loves it but I don't think I would want him to do it full time. I'd never see him in the fall and spring!

"Gma" -- Funny you should mention backing a truck up! My DH has oftened mentioned that he would back the pickup close to the bedroom windows and I could just toss. He has even offered to toss for me! My problem is that I have to "look" before I toss and usually decide I can't part with something that has memories attached to it. I do need to sort through clothes though!

Gail -- Thanks for the website, I will check it out. I have a few unfinished projects to finish first. I started a Christmas stocking for Amanda 5 summers ago and it still isn't finished. Now I need to make one for Ian, Madaline, Will, baby #3, and baby #4. I'll never get caught up until I retire . . . someday!

Not much else is newsy from my corner of the world. I hope you all have a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:47 AM   #2  

Morning ladies!

Gail: I used to knit, but it kills my hands anymore and I also did cross-stitch and it too has become difficult because my eyesight has gotten worse. I am now on my new kick and even am starting a business with soy candles. I am just starting and experimenting to get wax, dye and fragrance combos right but it is such fun. Not for everybody I suppose, but what woman doesn't like candles? I went to that show and not one booth had candles. What dh and I want to do is work on the product and do one show at Christmas time NEXT year and see how they sell and if they do well, then start slow doing mostly holiday craft shows and eventually a website where they can be purchased direct. I am going to start with 24 varieties, but as I am finding out, the fragrances and colors are ENDLESS! I love candles a lot and figure, if they don't sell I can use the inventory, right????

Jean: It is thundering and lightening here and back in the 80's. We had a couple tornado fatalities about an hour or so from here but we didn't get that, thank goodness. They did wipe out tv viewing for the night with their continuous weather coverage, which really made me mad. Our favorite show, Las Vegas is on Monday night and it wasn't shown at all! Had to watch the baseball game instead, WHOOOOOPEEEEEEEE!

Today there will be no walking so guess I will do some weights indoors. It is clean the downstairs day so will probably get started on it early this am since I am up.

Have a great day gals!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:39 AM   #3  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Happy Tuesday morning even though its very gray and dark and rainy outside. I left a little early this morning for work because traffic always backs up when there's bad weather...and I need my coffee from WaWa.

Jean, I found out there are two kinds of knitters: Process Knitters and Project Knitters. I think I'm a Process Knitter as I'm in love with the doing of knitting and the feel of the fibers in my hands. I do complete projects but I do have many WIP (works in progress). I haven't tackled a project like a stocking--to tell you the truth it intimidates me. Knitting, for me, is the most calming thing in the world...besides praying. Praying and knitting goes hand-in-hand with me I think. I was awake at 1:30am this morning...knitting...couldn't sleep... And I can't wait to retire! 17.5 months to go!

Faye, I used to x-stitch too! I gave that up because I got burned out and then there was the eye sight thing. No matter how bright I'd get the lighting it just became a chore. My favorite thing to x-stitch were replicas of 17th and 18th century samplers. I have quite a few of them hanging on my dining room wall and in the guest room. I even have one in the bathroom! And then I re-discovered knitting... The soy candles sounds like a good hobby too and a very possible money maker! I didn't know that candles were made with soy? The main thing with a hobby is the enjoyment it gives you.

Maggie, did you go to Yosemite after all?
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 08:57 PM   #4  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
I went to WW tonight and I was disappointed because I gained a #. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised since I missed last week . . . next week will be better!

My day started early with a 6:30 phone call saying the teacher I spend most of my time with was home with the flu. We had a 7:30 staff meeting so I went in early to check lesson plans for a sub. Yeah right, I ended up being the sub and no sub for my job. This is Red Ribbon Week for us (drug free) so we had an assembly this afternoon. It was a group with loud music, a "we care about you" speech, some guys tearing Omaha phonebooks in half, and another guy breaking a pile of cement blocks with his elbow. The kids seemed to enjoy it so I hope they got something out of the message.

"Gma" -- We still haven't had any rain. Our weather has warmed up again although only into the low 60s. It's nice for this time of year. You must have the squeakiest clean house on the block!

Gail -- I haven't awakened during the night for a long time but I hate it when that happens! My trick is to nap in the evening and then I can't get to sleep when it is my regular bedtime.

Not much else is going on that I can think of. It was a nice day in my corner of the world and is supposed to be nice again tomorrow. I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 10-19-2004 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:37 AM   #5  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good morning.

Jean, I wish I could give you some of our rain. I'm sorry about the gain. I don't think I ever told any of you what I'm doing when it comes to weight loss. I'm going to WW also. I'm losing every so slowly this time around. I'm trying not to think too much about it though. I'm trying to stop eating after 6pm as that is my "trigger time" and I find if I don't start (eating) then I don't have to worry about stopping. Knitting is helping me a lot--I definitely cannot eat holding a knitting needle in each hand. Last night I held on to those needles like grim death! I didn't dare put those "sticks" down! And I stayed out of the kitchen too. I slept a little better last night...thankfully.

Today is a busy day for me. Besides working, I have a luncheon to go to, I'm meeting Heather at the mall after work--I'll be eating dinner there. And then we go to a Pampered Chef party. I just found out I'm invited to another Pampered Chef party on Sunday afternoon. I have to make good food decisions today--I know what to eat and what not to eat. No excuses.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:54 PM   #6  

afternoon ladies!

Gail: Actually, soy candles burn clean, no smoke, better what they call scent throw and are easier to deal with I guess. I don't know, but I will sure find out! I LOVE Pampered Chef stuff. Like those stoneware pieces. I only have a few, but really like my bread pans and their pizza cutter, bread board and their cheap paring knives and the corn cob holders that you can put straight on the corn and into the boiling water. The only thing I have found I don't like is their chip clips. I like the actual clip style better, I think.

Jean: Bet your assembly was a real whoopteedo for you, huh? We are still getting rain and bad weather. I walked in sprinkles this am. As for the house, I don't have anything else to do, so I clean house a lot, though I wouldn't want people to see in my closets. They are all a disaster because they are too small so everything is shoved in them. I need to get some kind of organization going and will probably do that before I start my candle making stuff.

I have been trying to find a battery for our old cell phone so I can take it to Nashville with me. I finally found a place online fairly reasonable so will probably go ahead and order one and get it turned back on. I want a new phone, but for right now, this would be cheaper for us and give me a way to keep in contact with Jack without using the hotel phone or using up my dd's minutes on her phone.

I better scoot as dh will be home soon and i have potatoes to put on and a roast to check.

Faye
Old 10-20-2004, 06:16 PM   #7  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's a gloomy day here but no rain so far. It was another nutso day at school with the math and English teachers attending another computer training session. Somehow the kids seem to know that they are still in the building but will push the subs to the limit. I was just a bystander today and I like it like that!

Gail -- I just can't seem to settle down to do any projects in the evening. I don't know if my lighting isn't what it should be or my eyeballs just don't work as well at night. I'm fine in the natural light so have a feeling it is the age of my eyes! I also spend part of the evening on the computer which isn't very productive either!

"Gma" -- I have no idea because I haven't checked them out but Dr. Laura has been promoting Trac Phones as being a good deal. You only pay for what time you use. My phone is on DH's business plan so I have no clue about the cost. I don't carry it with me unless I'm expecting a call, otherwise it is in the car and "off." We have an OnStar phone in the car but have never had to use that either, which is good. I have a soy candle and I really like it. We have a soybean processing plant in our corner of the state that makes soy "treats" and candles.

I have bell choir tonight and need to make a stop at the grocery store. I'm trying to decide if I should go early or stop afterwards. Decisions! First I need to make a list!

I hope you all have had a good day! Tomorrow is on the downhill slide to the weekend . . . have a good one!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 10-20-2004 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:15 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
Where is everyone today?

It is GLOOMY in my corner of the world and has been misting all day long.

I had to sub again today but it was fairly easy since the teacher's biggest class was 6 students. There was one jerk this morning but other than that it was a "normal" day. We have a half day of classes tomorrow and will have a speaker in the afternoon . . . I hope he's good!

I hope the sun is shining on you, wherever you live. Have a nice evening and a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-21-2004, 06:44 PM   #9  

Evening girls!

Jean: Actually, we HAVE tracfone. It can be more expensive per minute, but if you are like us and not big users, it works out great. We just bought one of their new phones and like it fine. I found a battery online for $18.00 but I decided to just use my phone card instead. When we moved into the condo, I didn't get long distance because of the cost. I just buy 250 minute phone cards (for about 5 cents a minute or less) and use them to call like my sisters and son etc) The only hassles is all the dialing but it doesn't bother me. BellSouth wanted something like 30$ a month for long distance BESIDES charges so I said absolutely not. My card lasts me several months sometimes and I can use it with any phone not just my home phone. It worked out perfect for us.

Today was the dreaded "commissary" day and as usual it was awful, lots of empty shelves and of course it was stuff I wanted like sweet n low! It wasn't crowded though, for once. Of course, it wasn't a military payday either and I went right after they opened up in the morning. Had to do Wally's too and get my nails done, grabbed a bite of lunch and paid some bills online then it was off to get Jack and home and then we went out to get a bite to eat. I was a bad girl and had Olive Garden's seasonal Pumpkin cheesecake. It is so yummy and YES I ate it all!

We have been staying up to watch the baseball playoffs until 11 sometimes so we are pretty pooped getting up at 5 am. I am about ready to fall into the keyboard and snooze!

It was a beautiful day here, warm with a breeze. Hope it stays this way as our utilities are going up $50 a month the first of the year they said. They just raised the water/sewage rates like 40% a couple months ago. The city owns the utilities company and the city is 30 million in debt so they are taking it out of our hides one way or another including whacking yearly raises. Besides that, our Mayor is no where to be found and hasn't been seen since the beginning of Sept! His assistant says he is "out of town" and gets snooty if you ? her more. We figure he is hiding from the FBI as they are investigating him for something. I tell you we are more corrupt than Tammany Hall.

I guess I better get going. Take care everyone!

Faye
Old 10-22-2004, 09:08 AM   #10  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Happy Friday!

Faye, when I went to a pampered chef party on Wednesday night I was in a house that three cats live in. I had a terrible allergic reaction to them which irritated my eyes so badly that I couldn't work a full day yesterday. I went home and vegged out on the sofa. Because I spend so much time on the computer at work that when I go home I don't log on as much like I used to and when I do I'm not on-line long at all. That will probably change when I retire though.

Faye, I know zilch about candle-making. But when I go to the next craft show I'll look for candles and especially those made of soy. Thanks for letting me know about that. I wonder if Yankee Candles have soy in their candles? We have a store at the mall I go to and I'll ask.

Well. I need to do some work. We're closing the office early this afternoon.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:58 PM   #11  

afternoon girls!

I am pooped and my ears are still ringing a little and the palms of my hands are still bright pink and a little numb. First off, Jack wanted DONUTS for brkfast this am and only likes them from one place so we got up at 4:30 am and drove to Howard's. (BTW, I didn't get ANY for myself ) then at 7 did about 20 minutes of weights, around 7:30 am I got out on the deck and started cleaning it up (we have a big tree in our little strip of dirt around the deck and 2 trees next door so ...) I cleaned the cloth patio chairs with Tilex (does great to kill the mold from rain etc), wiped them all down, cleaned the glass top table and cleaned the outside of the grill, THEN at 9 am (this is where the hands and ears come in) I took the blower and blew all the leaves to the street and blew out the garage too (wanted to vacuum them up, but couldn't figure out how to make the blower suck them into the bag! ), THEN went back and reswept everything. I put up my outside broom in the garage, closed the door and walked back on the patio, the tree decided to be "funny" and dropped a bunch of leaves back on the patio! I said to heck with it and came inside, muttering to the stupid tree! So now, I have the rest of the day to screw around.

Ok, I have to tell someone this story. I went and got my nails done yesterday and was sitting under the dryer. The pedicure chairs are right next to the dryers and I was watching the nail tech doing this ladie's legs. This place does a great pedicure with massage. Anyway, I digress. I looked at this lady, who happened to be black so you would have thought it wouldn't be obvious, but OH BROTHER! She had more hair on her legs than a gorilla! I kept thinking about the nail tech having to massage Magilla and oooohhhhhh! I mean, it is one thing to either get lazy and not shave, not shave during winter, or be "european" in your thinking, but man, don't make someone massage your legs then......

Gail: I doubt very much Yankee Candles use any soy as there is debate about it. I saw a message board on a candlemaking website where they argued about it, one saying it was tree hugger mentality and the other lady who uses soy exclusive made a very very good point. Soy is a VEGETABLE product, parrafin which is the ingredient in most wax is a PETROLEUM based product so it makes sense that it would smoke, burn less clean etc than a vegetable based product. It doesn't seem more expensive though. My dd loves soy candles over the others and swears by them. ICK, what an awful thing to happen at something you should have been able to enjoy. Problem is, most pet owners, cats especially, are not very diligent about cat hair etc. I know that Butterscotch sheds, though Fortune not much at all, but I have a powerful vacuum and clean it out after every vacuuming and there is always loads of hair in it and that is just the floors. I know it can't ALL be my husband's hair!

I guess I better go and find something constructive to do. I have been listening to a book on tape today and may go back to that or read the 2 new paperbacks I bought yesterday.

have a great weekend everyone!

Faye
Old 10-22-2004, 05:47 PM   #12  

Talking

Happy Friday Flowers!
I am doing a happy dance . . . I am ready for a couple days away from school! It has been foggy and misty all day again. It's 72 degrees and feels like a spring day . . . I wish!

Beth and Maddy are coming tomorrow and will stay overnight. I am looking forward to spoiling Miss Maddy a bit. I'm hoping Ian will come on Sunday so the house will be really lively!

Next week we get out at 1:00 on Tuesday and Thursday for conferences and there is no school on Friday. Some students do not do well with schedule changes and they are a challenge. We are having a luncheon/baby shower for our juvenile court liaison gal on Friday.

Gail -- I can sympathize with you and the cat fur! My own cats will make my eyes itch if I handle them and then touch any area close to my eyes. I try to keep ahead of the fur but if someone is coming that doesn't know I have cats, I always warn them. Did you buy anything at the PC party? I love to sample the food!

"Gma" -- Can you leave your patio furniture out all year round? Our chairs store beneath the table and there is a canvas cover over the whole thing so ours stays outside. The outside cats like to crawl underneath or often sprawl, on top, in the sunshine. That is a good job to have done! We need to do windows but hate to do it before the rain is finished for the season. Our house doesn't have much overhang and the first time it rains, they are all spattered again. I don't think Yankee candles smell as good as they used to or else my smeller is going bad. I had to at your pedicure lady story! We just had some Sudanese people move to town and they are REALLY black! One of the high school girls is 16, married, and pregnant. There was an article in the newspaper about them -- that is typical in their culture. Her husband is looking for a job. DUH! I imagine the school nurse will be asking for baby donations before that baby arrives.

Not much else is happening. I've got laundry going and need to vacuum up the fur hunks before Maddy gets here.

Hope you all have a nice evening and a great weekend!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 10-23-2004, 08:04 AM   #13  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Its Saturday morning and its COLD. Wayne won't let me turn on the heater until he returns from flying and stops at the Home Depot to buy a new filter. I need to make some coffee just so I can wrap my hands around something warm.

Jean, I don't think we're going to see the 70's again this year. Its been in the high 50's and low 60's for a couple of weeks now. Did I buy anything at the Pampered Chef party?! Of course I did! Now keep in mind this is the THIRD PC party I've been to since August. Anyway, I bought the deep dish pie plate in their new color of cranberry, a baker's mat, a pastry blender, and a pie ring (to keep the edges from burning) and because I spent over $50 I get a free small Mix n Scrape. I've been invited to a Pampered Chef/Longaberger Baskets/something else Open House tomorrow afternoon and since Wayne is going to be down in Virginia Beach with his Dad I'll probably go over there about 2pm...and see if I "need" anything. I'm determined to have a well-stocked kitchen fit for a gourmet chef by the time I retire in...17 months, 1 week, 1 day...

Faye and Jean, I don't think its so much the cat hair but the dander. Anyway, my eyes are starting to look normal this morning and I don't look like I've been on a 10-day drunk...not that I know what THAT looks like!

Faye, all that hard work you did out on the deck and that tree goes and drops leaves again! Last Sunday evening, Wayne and I took in all the deck and gazebo furniture for the winter and put it downstairs in the basement. Now my deck looks so empty and so sad. I still have some pots of flowers (mums and geraniums) out there but the geraniums are looking very sad right now. I need to clear those out as well. It was a good thing I wasn't drinking my morning coffee when you told your story about that lady and her legs--I would've spluttered it all over my computer monitor! I wonder how the lady felt massaging her legs?

This morning I'm going to go check out a new yarn shop I've been told about--its only 15 minutes away from me. I can't believe I didn't know about that one. Also, going to do some more Christmas shopping. I'm determined to get it done by Thanksgiving this year.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:24 AM   #14  

Talking

Good Morning, Flowers!
I'm just popping to say "hello and hope you have a great day!"
It's still wet and gloomy in my corner of the world. The leaves aren't nearly so pretty when they are stuck together and wet. We still have lots left to fall from our four big trees. The neighbor's yard looks like it is a carpet of gold from the leaves dropping from his huge back yard tree. There are no kids around to mess them up. LOL

I've got laundry going and need to make a grocery run before Maddy and Beth get here this afternoon. DH left to check out the farming operation to see if it is a "go" or not. It isn't any dryer than yesterday so I have a feeling he is at the local coffee place with the rest of the area farmers.

Gail -- I have quite a bit of PC stuff and have given some of it to my daughter because I never used it. Sometimes I think it is more work to drag it out, wash it, and put it away again than to just "do it" my old way. I don't even like to cook but I enjoy looking through cookbooks and looking at all the kitchen gadgets! There is something wrong with that picture! Maybe when I have more time I will try new recipes. I was planning a day of Christmas shopping next Friday and we may still go for the afternoon but DH's manager called a meeting and I have a shower luncheon to go to. There is no place to shop in our small "burg" except Wal-Mart and the Hallmark shop where I do do alot of gift shopping. But sometimes I just can't find what I'm looking for and this year I have suggestions for the grandkids, Beth, and Amanda so that's what I want to look for.

Not much else is happening and I need to get busy. Have a great day and do something nice for yourself! I plan to get lots of Maddy hugs today and tomorrow!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 10-23-2004, 07:00 PM   #15  
Web Nana

Good Evening Magnolias

It is the first night of the World Series and Boston is all revved up. We are not the most enthusiastic Red Sox fans but now that they are where they are we are getting caught up in the excitement. DH watched the last series and I did watch the last few innings of the last game when they clinched the pennant. It was great fun since we did win. However, the outpouring of students from the Boston colleges were very roudy and the police used pepper spray balls on them and very unfortunately it hit a young lady bystander in the eye and she died. It is something I cannot fathom....why you have to drink and behave so badly that the celebration turns to tragedy! It also happened when the Patriots won the Super Bowl in January. Maybe that's why I don't like sports as much anymore.

We are having a very cold day and night and it is windy....can Winter be far behind?

JEAN: Congratulations on #3 & #4 grandchildren. Wow! Nothing like doubling your GK count in one fell swoop!!! You will be having lots of fun with them.

GAIL: I know what you mean about your eyes and cross stitching. I did a lot a few years back but then I ran out of space to put the finished product on my walls and my eyes were crossing instead of the stitches I now play with the computer and read....that what I really like to do.

FAYE: We love candles, too. Have not tried soy but will have to keep my eye open for them. I do like Yankee Candles. We have visited the home store in Deerfield, MA and it is quite a place. It is hugh and they not only have candles but a kitchen section and a very large area that looks like Barvaria with fir trees and snow falling and lots and lots of Christmas items!
They also have a section devoted to kids toys and games. I heard they now have a 'Home" section but haven't been there for a while so I don't know what it's like. In the same complex of buildings is a first class restaurant called Chandler's which has real good food and what I like was that at night the whole place is lit by candle light only. So romantic!!!!!

Hmmm....now that I am thinking of Yankee Candle maybe I might opt for a trip out that-a-way for my Christmas shopping.

MAGGIE: You haven't been in for a few days, I hope it is because you are away and not because you are having trouble to get on the site. Miss you.

Gloria in MA.....hoping my nerves are up for this week of Baseball.
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote