Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 04:56 PM   #76  
deleted2

Yes, I forgot to comment on the pics, Wildfire----nothing as cute as a fresh new baby! Speaking of which, I wonder how Frogger's doing.

Punkin, I'm really digging my reduced sugar experiment. It's been 10 days and I swear that I'm thinking clearer, and I definitely am handling stress beautifully. Found out today that I have to make dinner for 50 people this Friday and instead of freaking out, I just started making all the necessary lists. Ain't no big thing! Thankfully it's a casual thing. We're having our first pow wow at work, and I get to make dinner for all the drummers and dancers.

Kaylets, don't sweat the .5 pound. I know how frustrating it is, I also have a body that loves to hang onto weight---slow but sure. What kind of peanut butter do you buy? I buy only the all-natural stuff now; I really like it, but it doesn't have the same "eat-it-up" allure that the Skippy/Jif kind has.

wsw, how are you?

Amarantha, so good to see you here! I'm still counting calories so I'll be cipherin' along with you!

Old 09-28-2004, 05:55 PM   #77  
Hot Stuff

Hello!

Kaylets, that is my daughter in the third picture with Jase. Don't sweat the .5lb. Good, though, that you've had a chance to take a step back and re-evaluate. That is always good for renewed motivation. Hope you are enjoying your time off!

Eydie...a pow-wow? How fun!

Punkin, I'm tired just reading your post! You've been busy. Congrats to BoBeena! Yes, we had a little smash-up derby on Aug 4. Not my fault, so at least my insurance won't go through the roof. I'm left with this nagging neck injury, though.

Anagram, hope you've had a peaceful day and are feeling better now.

Arabella, how goes the EOM battles? I'm in the middle of those myself, but they are welcome....I'm so bored in this new job.

wsw, hope all is well!

Have to drive DD to work...she got a new job in a Naturalizer shoe store...I'm thrilled! (25% discount...wonderful shoes!) Then off to the YMCA for a swim.

Toodles!
Old 09-29-2004, 07:42 AM   #78  

Hello all!

Really wild evening here in Delaware... DH was just feet away from a tornado touchdown
but didnt realize it.. He just thought he was in a horrific thunderstorm... Roads were flooded, roofs torn off, B-53's slid into each other at the airport... Cars were lifted up and then dropped from 25 feet up...
Sure puts things back in perspective !!!

We got so much rain, I have a couple empty 5 gallon buckets on the patio that are nearly full of rain water!!!

So... I feel more cheerful than the past few days... Things could be lots worse and I just need to remember that....

****Today's thought:

"Never mind what's behind us: What's important is what is in front of us."

--Unknown

Question of the day :

"Tornado or earthquake?"

so, how was your day yesterday?

Wildfire-- I am glad that the photo is your daughter because I was really wondering how your sister could look so trim after just having a baby! I was amazed!! Your daughter is a CUTIE! Bet the boys at school agree!!

Naturlizer is my longtime favorite shoe!! I have a pair 2 yrs old I've worn nearly every day that I have to replace... would rather not but the heels are getting worn and shabby looking... SO COMFORTABLE!!

Anagram-- How goes the yard sale prep?? My favorite hint is to price everything as soon as its dusted off .... that way, no matter how what, its priced .... And don't forget, if you can't decide to price it ... go w/ the higher price and bargain later... You can always come down, you can never go up once the customer has seen what you've marked.

Eydie-- This question is long overdue... What exactly is the Homestead??
Is it a famous person's home? Like a President's home?

Empress--Any news on the career move??

Arabella-- Dh is searching and searching for Tai Chi / Chi Gung class...
Down here, its either outrageously expensive or just impossible to find a night class....Can you recommend a really good video?? He is especially interested in the breathing techniques....

oh well....
I am now off to check the basement for water damage... am afraid of what I might find....

KETTLE IS ON!
Old 09-29-2004, 07:43 AM   #79  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Default Good morning!

Second to last day of EOM sprint. Yesterday my editor told me not to kill myself, that we were ahead enough that I didn't need to get a lot done. So... I'll just get the horoscopes posted and do a couple more things and call it a month. Don't get me wrong -- that's still more than enough work, but I feel a bit less pressured. AND I won't be working on the end of September into October, which could go a long way towards getting this organization thing on track.

Wildfire, I hear ya on that holiday envy! Let's all take up residence at the spa (it's on the shore, right?) for a month! Congrats on DDs job -- and the future new shoes! I love Naturalizers

Amarantha, I wonder if a different browser would help? I downloaded Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/fire....html#download) and it seems faster and more stable. Plus, protects against spyware.

Eydie, it's a revelation, isn't it, how transformed we feel without sugar (wheat for me, too). So many of the minor ailments gone, plus that clear-headedness! Haven't had that for a while, but I've been having all-bran cereal and the soy milk I use sometimes has a bit of sugar in it. I've never been sure what my exact problem is, whether a yeast thing or a carb thing or what, but when the symptoms are gone it's amazing! Actually, it's kind of like the opposite of the feeling I get when I've had too much sugar the day before

Kaylets, that .5 will be gone in no time! I think that ignoring hunger pangs is a bad idea. We train ourselves to be out of touch with our body's signals. Don't eat when we're hungry, and then what does make us eat? Stress, fatigue, etc. One thing I really like about the Core program is that it emphasizes eating when hungry and not otherwise. And you know they arrived at this after a lot of research.

Punkin, I was thinking of you in the light of the full moon! I'd love to have a regular gathering for it. Wonder if I could pull that off? It's so much the kind of thing that I think I might do on my own, but am so much less likely to do when DH is home. Gotta get over that!

Anagram, I'm with you on the spiritual "spiffing up" -- I need to take some time and just do yoga, meditate, etc. DH has a trip coming up and I'm definitely going to have myself a little retreat. If all goes according to plan, DS should be moved out by then too... Om shanti!

And, with that, I'd better drag my sorry butt to work (metaphorically, of course. My butt is already firmly planted in my office). Love to all, mentioned or unmentioned. Let's make this a good one!

Old 09-29-2004, 08:24 AM   #80  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Wink

WOW! I can't believe it's been nearly a week since I even checked in! Busy!

This week has flown....the show was fine...2 more judges hit my s**t list...Sometimes I think we should wear paper bags on our heads...the dogs aren't judged (in some cases) just the handler. Quite aggravating. I also saw some of the people who were central to a club break-up...it is still in existance, I pay my dues and don't go to meetings...screws up the quarum...like they follow their own rules! WHOOPS! I'm detecting lingering hostility! And this occurred at least 3-4 years ago. However I was civil to the person....not cold, not warm. Civil.

Then Monday am was the dreaded "Book club"...which is not one...a club. It is mandatory training and terribly mind draining...boring not interesting. Then a full shift in the branch, then training class after 8 with the young heathen. Tuesday was the same way...Toddlertime, storytime, the pool guys came, short shift at the branch and then the highlight of the day.....dinner out with the girls! A B-day party for one of us...the one who lost her husband last January. I still miss him. So, this morning I have actually read through the thread and am replying

I have a bit of running to do...and I need to get some new shoes for showing in...my Naturalizers are likely 12 years old...just "granny" shoes, with good soles and lace uppers but...I can run in 'em....however after my sore"ish" soles on Sunday...I'm wonderin' if I need new more supportive foot wear....I think these may be breaking down!

Good to see thee Punkin' and thee too fellow Canuck Wildfire. Any snow up there yet? We've not had a frost yet, but I think it isn't far away.

Anagram, when can I book you for my garage!? And I did quite a bit of admiring of the moon these past 2 days....it was just splendiferous! Kaylets, you are on vacation? I like fall vacations...I'm off next Thursday and onto Colorado Springs...won't be back at work until October 25th!!!! EOM....yuck...programming for November to do today...and reports. Shoot.

Munch Monkey is defeated at the moment...am still successful in my pursuit of water...and weigh-in is tonight...

Anyway...wanna go for a walk before I put my behind into the car and do errands...

Ta-Rah!

Ceara
Old 09-29-2004, 12:37 PM   #81  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Another me-me postie ... to be honest, I'm in a very me-me mode these days, just hanging out on my private mental island. Really apologize for coming here and not responding to anyone ... noting everything, though ... great pics, Wildfire!!!!

Still having trouble posting here ... thanks for the link, Arabella. I'm going to look at that, but suspect it's the ad blocking software ... even on DT, I have to disable it to change my user data ... then I just turn it back on because I hate looking at ads, even though I know they pay the bills.

No news on the career change thing ... but it'll take time (and more school) ...

Resting today, though I have paying work to do but will do it later in the week as I need time off sometimes ... there was another bomb scare in the neighborhood ... a pipe bomb blew up at 2 a.m. ... very loud, very unnerving ... no suspects ... sigh.

Noted on a car license frame today (car driven by very large man): The Goddess lives. There's magick afoot.

Was like an omen for me.

Yup.

Details of my Hallowe'en challenge relevant to weight loss journey are on the DT journal. I will succeed.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:51 PM   #82  

Kaylets, I heartily recommend Living Arts A.M./ P.M. Chi for Beginners: http://video.barnesandnoble.com/sear...zx&frm=0&itm=3 I've got them on two tapes, which might be more practical. There are links on the same page to the separate tapes.

T'ai chi, at least the form I'm familiar with, is too complicated to learn very well from a tape. I didn't even find the tape to be much help when I was also taking classes. On the other hand, I found that practicing these two had a wonderful effect, and really didn't take long. Good luck!
Old 09-29-2004, 04:36 PM   #83  
deleted2

Kaylets, "The Homestead" as we locals refer to it, is R.J. [Richard Joshua] Reynolds birthplace. Yep, the tobacco king. God knows I'd rather it be the birthplace of the tofu king but you can't have everything. It's owned by Virginia Tech and is a great place to work---well, mostly! The historic home is still there and we give tours. And there's a continuing education center there where we have lots of programs and classes. and folks can rent the space for weddings, parties, etc. I'll have to send you a calendar! I've been meaning to put everyone on the Xmas card list here on the mailing list anyway.

Arabella, 11 days of drastically reducing my sugar intake. I baked cookies at work today and I was afraid that they might be burned so I tasted one-these were like double chocolate brownie cookies---and I only had one bite and I swear it's as if all those serotonin receptors that I've read about flew open and screamed "MORE!" I mean that one bite was just intense---words fail me, truly! I stayed on top of it, stayed aware and resisted, but all day the little devil on my shoulder has been saying things like, 'wouldn't you like a little caramel syrup in your coffee?' or 'how about the tiniest little drizzle of chocolate syrup on that banana?' So far I've been able to resist. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people that thinks sugar is evil, I just don't want to be controlled by it, and dependent on it.

Amarantha, magick is afoot indeed! Never doubt it!

Old 09-29-2004, 07:15 PM   #84  

Ah, Queens, 'tis such a happy, cozy little thread when so many are reporting in. Glad to hear from you, Empress, Punkin, Ceara (and, of course, all royals). The new princess referred to Frogger's expected arrival who hopefully must be here by now.

Empress, I too am having problems. Computer running SO slowly. Thought it was my machine but DS checked stuff when he was here so I am now forced to assume the site and my computer don't get along. Been slow to the point of discouragement.

Kaylets, I've already asked "self" whose idea this garage sale is. DH assures me it's not his but he was a big help today. I could go on forever picking things to put out but think I'm going to add very little more. We're only going to be able to do it one day and then heading off to DDs the next and what's not sold will have to sit in the garage until I get around to removing it. Overall this will have a net good effect on my garage but will make it look messy again and I just finished getting it together.

Did pool again today and plan to tomorrow as well. This later time works well for me. It will be continued for at least the next two weeks so I'll take advantage of it while I can.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:36 PM   #85  

Kaylet, I was so sympatico w/your statement on "perspective" (and glad your dh is ok after that close call). Yesterday I went to a rehab/nursing home to see a lifelong acquaintance of mine. So sad and I left feeling like I ruled the world. She had called me last week to let me know she was there after a week in another hospital. It's right next to the place I go to the pool and she knows I go there. We're not enemies but not what I'd really call "friends" because we don't see each other in person often (usually when she's hospitalized). I've never met her dh or her children nor has she mine. A few years ago, she heard I had knee problems and began calling me sometimes a few times a year, sometimes a few times a month.

Anyway at the point she had called me last week, her d(and in this case it's not dear)h had only been in to see her twice, nobody had brought her clothing she needed, etc. I tried to find something in store she could wear but could not as even a 4x (had I been able to find one) would not have fit. Most of her clothes are special made or at least special ordered and then adjusted to fit. She is 300 pounds and about five feet tall or less. Her health problems are numerous and her family/social ones are too.
She's got a somewhat negative attitude but is a good soul at heart. Life is very painful for her but I knew her as a child and know some of the reasons behind some of her attitudes.

When I got there yesterday, they had just told her the doctor is taking away her drivers license as he thinks she gets "confused". Well, yes, but she sort of always has been that way. But it's a good idea anyway as she's had many accidents. But life as she's known it will be over. She eats out every night even though she may sometimes cook for her husband. She can tell you the menu and good points/bad points of almost every restaurant in the region. She's a good cook but her physical limitations have made it tremendously difficult. Her other "outings" are usually to grocery store, farmers markes, etc. Food has been the center (or close to it) of her life.

The whole point is I was so distressed to see how bad she looked and how much heavier she seemed to be than when I had last seen her (she made a great physical effort to get to my mother's funeral which I tremendously appreciated). I also felt distressed that there is almost nothing I can do for her. But above all, I felt my aches and pains and problems were nothing compared to hers. We're the same age and I couldn't help but compare my life and hers and feel grateful that mine seems to have worked out so much better. By last night her dh had been in and one daughter and someone had brought her clothes. One of his comments had been that if he knew she was going to be in the hospital so long, he could have gone away on a trip he's been wanting to take. So achy though I started yesterday morning, by last evening I felt really like a - that perspective is marvelous magicke. (Stolen from Empress)
Old 09-30-2004, 08:01 AM   #86  
the sword bearer

Thumbs up

Mornin' Royals!

Yes Anagram my heart goes out to your friend too, and I agree with you that we just have to try and support people. We can't change 'em and they won't change themselves until they're able to see the need to change. I had a similar conversation about someone changing just the other day. Anyway, you are right. We need to appreciate where we are at, and how we got there and just be thankful....we could be so much worse off.

Good day yesterday...weigh-in was down 1.5 lbs. So that is the lb I'd gained the week before plus a bit more Oh well, at least the scale went in the right direction! Plus food and water was good....had my dinner too late but since I've adopted a more relaxed attitude, lasagna at 9 pm is OK. It is way better than cookies, ice cream and cereal...which is what was happening with the munch monkey in residence. I think he went to visit somewhere else for a bit.

No walk yesterday but I have high aspirations for this morning. Got a cool pair of shoes yesterday...size 8, which is my "True" size...I usually end up going 1/2 larger because I have duck feet...but these are wide and have an inner sole that is cool...there are little prongs underneath and support sections...they feel like you are walking on air. I wore them to work to check the blister factor...so comfy. And I got a few groceries and managed to pop a frozen lasagna in the stove for the menfolk...since I don't come home at supper on Wed...weigh-in is at 5:30, can't do it all...and made a pot of cauliflower "cream" (1% milk) soup. I was busy!

So...am off like a herd of turtles....need to write a couple letters as chair of the church today...plus work plus walk plus get to the vet and bank...you know what? I'm tired already!

Ta!

Ceara
Old 09-30-2004, 08:28 AM   #87  

Me, too. I'm tired for you, Ceara! You are so active and busy. Fun, I hope. I'm feeling lazy but will shortly get into gear. dh golfing today - sort of an all day thing. And we got lots done last night for garage sale so may be able to pop in a bit of shopping today. After the pool, that is. Looks like another nice day here.

I'll probably not sell a thing tomorrow but whatever, it's been a good exercise in "decision making". I think I'm asking too much for everything but decided to go higher and of course go down. Have enough .50/1.00 items as well so maybe I'll make a dollar or so there. Then all's looking busy after that. Daughter's Sat/Sun. Our anniverary Monday and no special plans yet. Then appointment after appointment the rest of the week.

And it's getting to be Foliage Season. I am a real fruitcake about the changing leaves and I'm telling me that this year I will not chase after them but will wait until they come to me. So I'm saying, but I'll probably get caught up in the beauty of it all and make a trip or two to some of our fave peeping places.

So, up-and-at -t time.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:06 PM   #88  

Hello all!

Took a Best Girl Friend to breakfast and then bought myself a small CD/cassette player on sale and 200 lbs of potting soil too. Got rained on and had to put on a sweatshirt and drink 3 cups of tea to warm up....

So its Thursday and I can't believe how fast the week flew by...
Ah well...
Did read lots and lots of Herb Companion... bought a box of them at a yardsale ... turned out to be nearly 10 yrs accumulation.... amazing how much I've learned ... for instance, dandelions have more nutrient value than spincach, oranges, and a whole bunch more .... Trouble is finding clean dandelions...

I'll stop back after I take a quick nap....
Old 10-01-2004, 08:01 AM   #89  

Fly-by -- Day before yesterday I realized I've got a urinary tract infection. And lo, when I read up on them, I find that sugar is one of the major culprits. So I'm taking cranberry extract, acidopholus, extra vitamin C, echinacea and goldenseal. Drinking gallons of water , avoiding sugar and alcohol (even more than I had been) and limiting caffeine and carbs. Hoping to avoid antibiotics. I feel kind of cruddy, but I had mostly for a while now, and I think this may be something systemic. All of which should be addressed by the changes.

Well, that's my thrilling news I'll be back! Aw, let's take this day and do the best we can with it. Love to all!
Old 10-01-2004, 08:13 AM   #90  
the sword bearer

Cool

Hail All Royal S!

'Tis a be--oot-i-ful sunny morn in my part of the kingdom...a bit brisk on the nose hairs tho' Reporting a stellar day yesterday and a further defeat of the scale...just hope I can maintain this steam through the week-end...my downfall. Good choices yesterday...did walk, light weights, water and portion control. Almost had a sideswipe last night with an icecream bar. But got outta that by talking with my roomie from the States, and then as a further coping mechanism...went and took a bath. At least I recognised the sabotage before I did it...a purely stress and pissed-off trigger....I wonder if that means I should carry a bath-tub around with me?

Bit quiet in the palace yesterday...and today is a new month...are we starting a new thread? Must be that EOM thingy again. Got half of mine done....my new work to rule rule...no staying to get things done. If it is busy in the branch and I can't get'em done...tough. They'll come, or give me more paid time. I'm tired of being an employed payless volunteer for them! Oops. Climbin' down Seem a little prickly there too!

OK....so off for walk and maybe brekkie with my DD...who went to a fortune teller...I gave up on the pys...etc word. Cain't spell this morn. Or type. Anyway what she was told is quite interesting..... Then I will shop and maybe bathe that poor dog that I've been trying to do for 2 days!

Have turkey 19lbs out thawing...one of last years' crop...I'm always away for T-day...so I'm doin' it early!

Ta!

Ceara
Closed Thread