Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 07:44 AM   #1  

Default Terrific Two Weeks --Sprint IV -- ALL Welcome!

Here ye! Here ye!
Welcome to the world renown ( well isn't it?) 2 Week Sprint!!

Because in so many ways, Less IS More, especially if you are like me and sometimes suffer a short attention span....

Please join us for the Fourth 2 week sprint! For just 2 weeks, all you need do is what YOU need to do...

My challenges are to continue some of the progress made....

Remember my amazing ability to retain water by sometimes only LOOKING at salt, never mind eating it... and that means any kind of salt... and that means...READ the ingredients if its packaged foods....

and on that same note... continue to push my water intake...

on a mental note, continue to enjoy and learn more as I garden...
Again, its a constant lesson in how little things add up, planning ahead makes a difference but then again, you have to be flexible as you may not get what you expect....
I am finding, (AGAIN) that the less complicated I make it, the simpler ways work just fine... For example, when I did some research about composting, I read again and again about how the true test that the compost pile was "working" was if something you put into the compost pile took root and even started producing.... in fact, its mentioned so often in the articles I've read these "volunteer" plants are called "what's it's?" again and again....
Well... I've got one or two... DH thinks its watermelon, I'm not sure, yesterday I was convinced it was canteloupe....
We aren't measuring our "green" ingredients vs our "brown", couldnt tell you our nitrogen level but ..... the box doesn't have a strong smell and we do have "What's it?" growing around and around....

BUT my point is... that for me... the more complicated I make my eating/excercise program, the more difficult it becomes.... to keep up, to readjust if my schedule changes, if certain foods aren't available .....

so, rather going on and on....

Watch salt intake
increase water intake
Keep it simple
continue finding ways to build activity into daily lifestyle....

and as a special assignment this next 2 weeks...
Celebrate the progress I have made....

so, who's with me?
Old 08-15-2004, 08:14 AM   #2  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Wink

Mornin'!

Compost...ah....it's ready when the worms are there.....same thing with manure...if worms live there, it's ok for plants. Your "what is it" plant may be a hybrid...vines cross pollinate and don't remain true to their parents...the seeds could be a cucumber-cantalope cross or what ever you had planted, may produce fruit...but it likely will not taste good...but the compost is good right?

Am off to church this a.m. Have to get the rest of the girls out and get ready....so...have a great day all...

Kaylets thanks for starting new thread, and yes I think we all should contemplate where we've been and appreciate how far we've come!

Ceara
Old 08-15-2004, 01:08 PM   #3  
wsw

kaylets-thanks for starting the new sprint thread! so glad to hear your folks were ok and in fact, able to wait out the storm in nice digs instead of a shelter.

hi ceara-i too agree how important it is to take time out to appreciate how far we have come. hooray for all of us!

wildfire-hope your wrist and other banged-up areas all heal quickly as possible! sounds like it has been pretty rough! take it easy, please! seeing the pix of your wrecked car scared me again just thinking how close you came to being hurt even more severely. so glad you are safe! enjoyed seeing the pic of you and arabella-thanks for posting.

hi anagram-liked hearing about your time at wolf trap. sounds like it was fun. enjoy your relaxing day today.

hi arabella-enjoyed seeing the lovely pic of you with wildfire. nice to think we could all meet in person someday. something very peaceful and reassuring about that thought for me.

yesterday was a little challenging with the food calling me, but so far, today much better. also love the idea this is the beginning of a new sprint. always something so hopeful and invigorating about a fresh start. for this sprint, i will keep it simple too: stay within 1200-1400 cals/day of good, nutritious food; continue exercising regularly; continue on with making my home more "user-friendly" (more organized, and more handicapped-friendly and accessible); and listening to my relaxation tapes.

hi eydie, amarantha, morrigan, cerise, punkin, zadie, frogger, and to all the remaining royals. take good care. hoping your weekend is/has been pleasant.

wsw
Old 08-15-2004, 07:59 PM   #4  

Thanks for the new thread, Kaylets. I too plan to stick to the basics

water
exercise
cut those calories but eat healthy stuff
stay positive
have fun
AND continue the "organizing in a disorganized fashion" - it's actually been fun that way.

Eydie, I think you hit it. I don't think I liked the two being sort of tied together. But if losing weight would have taken care of the knees, well that would have been a lot less painful. I know she meant well and really wanted to compliment me. She is a very gracious person.

The food's been calling me too, wsw, and at the same time has not been very satisfying. This food relationship is always coming up with some new way to confuse me. I've done well enough so far today though as long as I don't blow it this evening.

I agree with the celebration of how far we've come even if I haven't come very far lately. Tomorrow's another Fresh start.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:39 AM   #5  

Hello all!

As you might remember, I post on WW online as well...
( But you here are my favorites!!)

Anyway... we have a daily challenge but for some reason, was amazed to realize that for nearly a week our daily challenge had not been part of the post... don't know how it disappeared but its back now!!!
Reminds me of the day I finally admitted that "No, you're clothes are not shrinking ... No, you do not look like you did 50 lbs ligther,... No, double chins are only attractive on babies and certain breeds of dogs...."

I'll never forget when asked how I thought I gained the weight and I honestly said I didnt even know WHEN I gained it... Literally, it seemed to me that I just turned around and it was there....

Of course, I just refused to see it... was having to much fun "Because I deserve this.. because its a good buy... I have coupons... for the family... because I deserve it... etc... "

Instead, now I wonder what possessed me to think I deserved carrying nearly a 100 extra pounds around...

And then when I realized I needed to do something and got myself to WW's I wouldnt even look at the card to see my weight till nearly a month after joining...
Like a little kid w/ my hands over my eyes....

but we live and learn...

So that's what my thoughts are this am... which are a far distance from when the alarm first rang at 4:30 and I wondered " WHY ME!!?!!"....

but a cup of coffee, some magnesium, a cup of tea and I feel more optimistic...
after all....
I don't think I'd be happy w/out a job... so....

Today's thought:
There are many versions of this story originally credited to Loren Eiseley, an anthropologist and writer. Often on Monday mornings, I need to be reminded that even though things seem overwhelming and too big for only one person to change, that my small piece does matter.

So today's thought is :

"The Star Fish Thrower"

A man was jogging down the beach after a major storm had just come through the area. He was dismayed by the huge number of starfish that the storm had washed up on the beach. He thought that there was nothing he could do because of the immense numbers. As he continued down the beach he saw an old man throw something into the water. As he got closer, he saw the old man walk a little farther down the beach, bend over, pick up a starfish and throw it back into the water. As the jogger approached, the old man stopped again, bent over, picked up another starfish and was about to throw it into the water. The jogger stopped and asked "Why are you doing that? There are thousands of starfish on the beach. You can't possibly make a difference." The old man looked at the starfish, threw it back into the water, then replied, "I made a difference to that one, didn't I?"

Let's do it!
KETTLE IS ON!

Official weigh in tonight... I'm hoping for another loss... might just maintain... whatever!!

Old 08-16-2004, 08:50 AM   #6  
Hot Stuff

Don’t feel guilty for making time for yourself. It's not selfish to make yourself a priority. Neglecting yourself can mean having less than 100 percent to give back to everyone else. The first step toward more balance in life is to believe you are number one and your needs are important. So, congratulate yourself for identifying the fact that you are a priority.

Found this in my e-mail from e-diets this morning. Rather appropriate, too, since I'm having major guilt for being home on a Monday and knowing my boss is probably flipping out as I type because I'm off work until tomorrow. But you know what? Tough luck. As anagram so wisely pointed out last week, if I were there it wouldn't be appreciated anyway, even though it is expected. The time off to rest along with the medication and heat therapy seems to be helping.

Kaylets, I bet you were feeling the same about taking off a couple of days last week. Sometimes you just have to do it, right?

Fresh start Monday! Saturday was an off day for my plan, but worth every minute! We drove down to Niagara-on-the-Lake to the Jackson-Triggs winery for a tour and tasting, then saw Jesse Cook (my absolute favorite musician!) perform in the outdoor amphitheatre at the winery. What an incredible night...my favorite music, perfect starlit night, wrapped up in a blanket with DH and all the wine we wanted.

anagram, I can understand how you feel about the comment. If it were me, I would at least take comfort that the comment came from someone who had her own weight battle, and not some slim thing who didn't have one clue. Now that would make me angry!

Eydie, hope your computer problems are resolved soon!

Amarantha, nice to see you pop in! Hope all is well.

Good morning to wsw, ceara, Arabella, morrigan, and all our wandering s! Not all who wander are lost...
Old 08-16-2004, 08:59 AM   #7  

Now, I like that. So I officially proclaim that no one is ever lost from the palace, they are merely wandering.

Also like the ediet quote. Somehow I think we KNOW that but acting on it still carries guilt and a fresh reminder is always in order.

Sounds like a great weekend despite the discomfort, Wildfire. Nice prescription - wine and a blanketed hubby.

OK, fresh start. New Week, New Sprint. Had a really good day yesterday and a really good night's sleep. Off to pool this a.m. and hoping to continue with my relaxed mode.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:24 AM   #8  
wsw

hi arabella, amarantha, eydie, ceara!

anagram-hoping your relaxed mode is continuing!

wildfire-your weekend sounded lovely.

love the idea that this is a new week, sprint, and fresh start. actually, i ended up doing fine yesterday, but with a lot of effort. this morning, i started off with my morning meditation time and in a much better place. off to a good start on this 2 week sprint. i worked on some lists over the weekend which were rather fun for me and enlightening---lists of what would really make me happy, what gifts i would like to be able to give to others(emotional and practical ones), what gifts i would like for myself, etc. making the lists somehow gave me permission to think about these things more concretely, and there was something very peaceful and soothing about it for me. well, hope everyone has a good start to their week. take care, and thinking of you all.

Last edited by wsw; 08-16-2004 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:21 PM   #9  
deleted2

Thanks for starting the new thread, Kaylets! Liked your musing about the compost. Sometimes I enjoy the progress of the compost pile as much as the garden itself. Love the fat worms and the lime-y smell of it when it's all broken down! Thinking about planting some nutritious greens for this fall. I'm thinking a couple of rows of kale because it's so hardy and will survive the frost.

Loved seeing the pic of you and Arabella, Wildfire. I trust you're still recovering nicely?

I think, I hope our computer problems have resolved themselves for now. Still, I'm going to cut this short because I'm afarid I'm going to get kicked off. Will write more when I feel 'safer'!

Old 08-17-2004, 06:25 AM   #10  

Hello all!

Well, official weighin last night showed 1 lb up from the 2.8 drop last week...
I could only shrug as I have a very clear conscience this week....
Did put some salt on my tomatoes for lunch but .....

I can only "keep swimming"...
I know I did not get as much water in over the weekend as I would've liked...
that might be a factor too....

But again, I have a very clear conscience....
NO GUILT is a wonderful thing...

Eydie-- do you put newspaper and cardboard in your compost pile?? Thought this was forbidden till I read a book by Rodale over the weekend... am excited that I may be able to "recyle " my own trash a step further....

Am also finding the "cool" vegetables will need more room than I have pots ...
will begin to use the milk jugs ..... a cabbage or broccolli or cauliflower to a milk jug just might work...

Am looking to put in a crop of garlic, maybe a couple varieties as well as some herbs, especially basil ... the basil is primarily as a gift but we will see...

Really am feeling like that 20 yr old hippie I yearned to be but was distracted by other youthful detours!!

Thought of the day :

" I have never had an affliction which was not turned into a poem."
---Goethe

Question of the day :

"If you could rid the earth of one thing, what would it be?"
------From IF (2) by Evelyn McFarlane & James Saywel

Wildfire... hope you continue to feel better each day....

To everyone... have a good Tuesday...

WSW-- the lists sound terrific... tell us more... It sounds like another "NO GUILT" process of making ourselves our first priority...

KETTLE IS ON!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:11 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

It is great to have you here, Kaylets, your musings give me lots to think about and some inspiration as well. I keep sticking around, trying to get things going, but seem to fall apart about the time I get near food. I bought a candy bar for the first time in I can't remember how long yesterday (several years). Not going to lose weight that way.

My garden is making a comeback after a month of neglect. Some things didn't make it, but the cucumbers/beans/carrots/zuccini are doing fine. I wish I had chard. Maybe a late planting is in order. My DH has been a bit stressed, always running late. I have always maintained it is a good thing he is salaried and has flex hours. He would be fired at an hourly job for always being late, of course when you put in 10+ hour days all the time, no one cares if you got there 15 minutes late in the morning. I gave him some of my favorite books to read Janny Wurtz and Raymond Fiest, "Daughter of the Empire", "Servant of the Empire", and "Mistress of the Empire". A top-notch fantasy series with a strong female lead, very empowering.

So I am thinking of going back to streaking (not the running around naked kind), but the kind where I just try to get a handle on things one day at a time. Two weeks has been more than I can seem to manage lately.

So here is to

Day 1: only a nonfat latte, kashi, blueberries so far. Here is to a good day.

Last edited by morrigan; 08-17-2004 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:28 PM   #12  
deleted2

Just checking in, my friends! I'm feeling a bit off-balance as far as my program goes, and I don't know why. Nothing extreme, just gotta keep an eye on it. I don't feel particularly stressed or anything. Maybe I need to do something different?

Kaylets, I don't use paper in my compost, Kaylets, tho I hear you can. that's not altogether true--when I first started the pile I put down a thick layer of newspaper to kill the grass.

Old 08-18-2004, 05:53 AM   #13  

Hello all!!

Thanks for the kind words Morrigan. I too, have to focus on one day at a time...sometimes one meal ... one hour at a time...

I was talking to some coworkers and someone mentioned some type of bbq that I never really liked even b/4 I began this journey ...yet, my mouth started watering as if they had mentioned Godiva or Haagen daz....
I'm right there w/ you for focusing on "this choice "....

Eydie..still planning on teaching the Pilates class?? Found a book w/ a DVD in the cover... believe its by an Austrailian (sp?) lady... havent had a chance to view the DVD, book seems very staightforward...

Everyone... did I ever tell you that you're my favorite??

HERE WE GO WEDNESDAY, HERE WE GO!

Dogs came in from outside only a little wet but I can hear rain in the downspouts...
at least yesterday was dry enough that DH got some lawns mowed...

I'm leaving early to take advantage of some Overtime offered. Its much easier for me to go in early. Dh leaves by 6 am so its almost as though he doesnt even realize. But when I stay late...then he feels like
"I never see you"...

Anyone watching the Olympics?? So inspiring to me.

Here's the thought of the day :

Today's Thought:

"Usually we think that brave people have no fear. The truth is they are intimate with fear."
--Pema Chodron

Question of the day:

"If you could have witnessed one event from your family's history, what would it be?"
--
------From IF (2) by Evelyn McFarlane & James Saywel

Let's make this a great Wednesday!
Kettle is on!
Old 08-18-2004, 05:13 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Struggling day 2 - already at 1250 and it is 2 pm, planning very light dinner. I have been a whirlwind cleaning house today while DH is home playing with kids. Have a good day everyone!
Old 08-18-2004, 05:28 PM   #15  

Interesting QOD. I've always been interested in the ancestors who travelled here from other countries and made me an American. So think I'd like to have shadowed one of them. Today I'm thinking it would be a great-great grandmother who came over in her 50s. She had emigrated from Ireland to England as a young woman with young children. Later as all her children variously came to this country, she also came (I believe she was widowed by then and probably had no other source of support) and also at that age and later raised some of her grandchildren after their mother died. Once I got to that age (and older) I was fascinated about the second emigration and how different it must have been from the first when she was young.

Have been really out of kilter today. When hay fever hits me, it's more an overall thing than a sneezing thing and I tend to feel down. Plus last Saturday was the anniversary of my Dad's death and this Saturday it will be a year since my Mom died. I think it's all sort of hitting me a bit this week and I am making no attempt to be cheerful right now.

I did tell myself that I could (if I really wanted it) have some kind of gooey type treat. There's pie, cake, candy, ice cream, cookies in the house and I actually wanted NONE of them. (Maybe if anything were peanut butter flavored, I'd go for it.)

So I have to believe I've sort of gained an upper hand on the stress eating. Now if I could learn to handle the social eating!
Closed Thread