Old 08-06-2004, 07:24 PM   #1  

Smile exercise motivation

Hey Ladies-

Hope you dont mind me starting a new thread.

I would like the purpose of this thread to be:
1. a place that people can talk about their exercise.
2. a place that people can exchange ideas about different types of exercise.
3. a place to motivate each other to get moving.

I hope this helps us keep on track. every weekend I feel like I am falling off the wagon. But, hopefully, if others participate, we can see that others are off there buns and we should too.

Please, tell me what you think. I hope everyone enjoys.

T. J.
tjmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 07:59 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

Thumbs up

Great thread, TJ

I waited until I lost about 30 pounds before I started exercising. But now I do the treadmill every other day. On the in-between days, I do crunches and arm lifts with weights. I have to admit, though, if I have been really, really active with the grandkids, I call that my exercise for the day.

Although I am big all over, my waist measurement is way out of proportion with the rest of me. Don't really know what to do about it - think maybe some of it's due to my age. Older women, after menopause - get thick waisted. It's a sad trade off for no more visits from Aunt Flo, lol.

Any suggestions? Keep in mind that I am still fat, and still old, so no acrobats, ok?
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 08:13 PM   #3  
RosieKate

I have had a rotator cuff injury that I am starting to get some PT for, so I am looking forward to getting back into working with free weights at home. I like to feel strong and when I work out with weights, I find that i have firmness and am more shapely regardless of my weight. I like the 8 minutes in the morning workout regimen.

Other than that I scored a very reasonably priced folding stepper from GIjoes online. When the weather is good, I pack up the toddler in the zoomer and go for a walk. When it is not, i use the stepper at home or do a video of some kind. If I don't get in any kind of cardio this way, I try to get out and work in the yard for an hour or so. I make sure that I do squats instead of bending at the waist...it's a pretty good workout.

I like the approach of trying to be active in general, taking stairs, walking more - that kind of thing.

RosieKate
Old 08-06-2004, 08:44 PM   #4  

Height: 5'1"

I have been doing what ever I can to get exercise in. Walking, talking (that counts doesn't it? ) the exercise ball, free weights, lunges and squats and I do pilates....my favorite.

Pilates allows me to do a workout that is not strenuous yet I can really feel it working on me.

I have other tapes that target the abs....I am determined to try and rid of the belly fold that is happening....and I would like to start targeting my thighs.

I will eventually start up a gym membership again...but must wait to get a job so I can pay for one! I love going to the gym and was feeling my best when I was there.

Great thread.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 11:05 PM   #5  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Great thread TJ!

I am just getting back in the habit of doing exercise after a loooooong stint of none. I did do the Leslie Sansone videos until I broke the VCR! Ooops! Now if the weather is nice I like to get in a walk outdoors, but have been walking on the treadmill because it has been too hot. I also have a stationary bike that I enjoy riding, and doing some weight training which is probably why my arm is hurting.

Don't have a set routine yet because I just started but will get in the hang of it and get something set up. I know I can't keep doing everything in one day like I have. Am going to aim for 3 days of walking and 2 days of weight training. We are fortunate that we have the stuff at home. But I am not going to try and kill myself not yet anyway.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 07:11 AM   #6  

hey ladies:

thank you for participating with this thread. it is greatly appreciated.

so here goes:
Jana-Sounds like your doing a great job being active and exercising. as for the belly, have you tried doing the leslie sansone videos that are specifically for the abs??? they are non-strenous and wk the whole body. no wild moves and they come with their own equipment which is a belt contraption with stretchy bands for the arms. no trapeze needed. LOL

RK- being more active in general is great. I need to get off my big butt and be more active. usually im stuck in this house the majority of the wk. ive been thinking about tackling one room at a time and washing down walls and moving the furniture and doing "deep cleaning" it needs done and it would keep me active. whatchya think? any other ideas???

Marti- I have my fingers crossed for the job interview. going to the gym sounds wonderful. i checked into the ymca here and it cost $436 a yr and you pay up front. this only includes access to the equipment. if you want to take any aerobics classes and such you pay for those individually on a monthly basis. and the cost varies depending on the class. etc. isnt that crazy????

Cristi- over training (doing it all on one day) isnt healthy. your goal of 3 days one thing and 2 days another is excellent. will you take 2 days off for rest??? or will the cycle start over at the end of that five days??? or are you leaving 2 days a week open as a buffer in case you dont have time to exercise???

Keep up the good work and thanks for the motivation.

tj
Old 08-07-2004, 01:02 PM   #7  
One day at a time

TJ~cleaning house and walls is definitely a work-out! As is gardening and stacking wood! Yes, I will just take two days off. I get so lazy on the weekends and usually if I go anywhere it is usually then. But I am not choosing any specific 5 days, just leaving that open. I have done exercise on the weekend because I was bored, or because I didn't get any in during the week. But for the most part I am aiming for the 5 weekdays to do the exercise and leave the weekend open. I'm not saying I will actually do the five days, lol, but that is what I am aiming for-and no less than 3 days. I know I am not going to lose weight totally from the exercise and I don't want to try to kill myself doing it but I do want to be healthy and not get out of breath when I walk up a flight of stairs. So we will see how that goes.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:16 PM   #8  
moccamaiden

Default Motivation & Weight Lost

Hello I am a newbie and I just happened across this web site today. I am so glad that I did.

My name is Nish and I need all the motivation I can get when it comes to weight lost. Thanks for the new thread. As for my exercise program, it is more 'hoping and a wishing and a praying' right now. However, I did join the gym last week. I just need to schedule times for me to go and make it a priority.

Nish
moccamaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 06:22 PM   #9  

Thumbs up

hey ladies, good saturday evening.

cristi- i am so proud of you for making the life saving decision to be healthy. every exercise session you do burns calories, stored energy, builds endurance, makes your heart happy and healthy and releases feel good endorphins in the brain to fight depression. your plan sounds wonderful. keep up the good work.

nish- welcome!!!! good for you. a gym membership will be great!!! if your anything like me, you'll wanna get your moneys worth. i hope you stick around. the jaded ladies are extremely friendly and supportive. i look forward to getting to know you.

keep up the good work. i hope to get back on track first thing mon morn.
t. j.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:38 AM   #10  
One day at a time

Really needing the motivation this morning. I think after I do my errands this morning since I will be close to the park I'll get a walk in there, unless of course it rains. Haven't gotten any exercise in this week yet and the weather is perfect for walking outdoors. I like walking outdoors best because once you start you can't stop till you either get back to your car or back home! Of course since I am going to PT for my arm I am not supposed to be doing any weights which is a bummer because it really makes me feel good, but not good for the arm righ now.

Thanks TJ for the movitvation!

Welcome Nish! Hey, a membership to the gym is a good start. Now to get in there and get to working out!
Old 08-11-2004, 07:26 PM   #11  

hey cristi---

actually, i need some motivation. would you like to do a friendly challenge??? something to do with the amount of exercise we do??? im not sure, maybe whoever gets the most exercise gets a card from the loser??? that doesnt sound very good. can you come up with a better one??? im willing to try anything to get back on track.
pls let me know.

tj
Old 08-11-2004, 07:53 PM   #12  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Taking my white gloves off,,,head up,,,looking down my nose *sniff I challenge you to 100 crunches and squats per night!

( I had that in my head for a challenging dual)

Angie
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:05 PM   #13  

angie= your on, ill start tom. LOl

tj
Old 08-11-2004, 09:06 PM   #14  

My exercise for the time being is Denise Austin's "hips, thighs and buttocks" video. Its about 30 minutes long and I try to do it about 5 times/week. I also try to fit in walks whenever I can.
I have a question....My belly is probably the biggest problem I have but I don't really know what to do besides lose weight, because I know have muscle under there...its just covered in fat. Im just shooting for an absence of a belly and not a 6 pack. Is it OK to not do crunches???
UnCafeCvooPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:10 PM   #15  

dear cafe-
my advice for your tummy is to do taebo or pilates. it works on the muscle underneath (which you are already working on) and will help melt away the fat on top. denise austin has a pilates tape called Yoga Plus! Pilates. also, the yoga on this same tape is good for strength training without using wts. alot of positions that call on different muscle groups. good luck and hope you stick around this area.
tj