Old 07-30-2004, 06:38 PM   #1  

Default not a good

I dont think this is going to work im only 2 weeks into this diet and have been very good and i have not lost a pound iv done atkins before and i should have lost at least 8 to 10 now im not sure what to do ??? it seems like whats the point? I would go see a DR. but the last one i saw tried to put me on antidepresents well i saw what they did to my mom no thanks. One of the women i work with had that gastric bypass surgery done and she said you have to be 100 pounds overweight well im there i cant believe i had to say that i have never been this big before 5'3/216 i quit smoking after 30 years so i could be healthy well this isnt it. Not sure which way to turn.
scsbxrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:17 PM   #2  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Sandy, what did antidepressants do to your mom? There are all kinds out there, not all causing weight gain.
Maybe the best thing to do is sit down with your DR and ask to see a nutrienist. If The DR can't come up with a solution for you to follow.
Angie
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 08:53 PM   #3  

no he wanted to give me them because he thought i was big because i was depressed my mom is real small i dont know if she had a bad reaction to them or what she couldnt function. i wasnt depressed i was getting older and eating things i shouldnt and not working out as much.
scsbxrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:03 PM   #4  
RosieKate

Welcome Sandy

Have several family members on anti-depressants and have to agree with Angie. There are many different kinds that do different things. Sometimes it takes ongoing treatment by a doc to get just the right drug and dosage for your medical issue.

I'm just putting in my two cents 'cause I feel that if you do have a medically diagnosed depression it should be dealt with first....it could be a really big obstacle to lasting weight loss. If your doc isn't supportive....well can you get a second opinion?

Glad you are here - this is a great, supportive group of women..... hang in there
RosieKate
Old 07-31-2004, 06:19 PM   #5  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

oh ok Sandy,,,didn't know what you ment,,,thought you were saying your mom was on meds and gained a whole lot,,,which is common.
Like what KR said, treat the depression first,,,which like a vicious cycle just adds to the feelings of wanting to lose weight.
Losing weight I have to said (MHO) is about 80% mental....
Angie
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:17 AM   #6  
solitas...lacuna

Sandy, I understand about not wanting to be on antidepressants. The simple fact is, that they alter chemicals in your body which affect your mood and state of mind. Having a bad reaction to something which has such a powerful effect on your body is a terrifying thing. I know people who say that antidepressants saved them, and others who were almost destroyed by the terrible side effects. My thought is, unless you really NEED them, DON'T take them. Don't let anyone pressure you into taking them.

I am morbidly obese and almost every doctor I've seen assumes I have an eating disorder and I need drugs to correct that. They tell me I am depressed. One even said "you're depressed and just don't know it." That's stupid. I pulled myself out of a years long suicidal depression as a teen. I know what depression is. I am not depressed. I don't have an eating disorder. I just made bad food choices and led a sedentary life style. Through my own will power I decided to change my life and lose weight and I have! I've lost 34 lbs in 6 weeks. You can do it too. It is just a matter of finding the eating plan that works for you. ALL bodies are NOT the same. Some people do really well on Adkins. Others do not. Also, YOUR body changes too. Just because it worked for you before, doesn't mean it always will. You have to listen to your body and let it tell you what it needs.

Go to www.room42.com and enter your info. It will tell you what you can take in to lose weight. www.fitday.com will help you calculate your foods. Eat resonably. Cut back on processed foods and eat more whole foods. Control portion sizes, but don't starve yourself. Cut out soda. Drink LOTS of water. Most importantly EXERCIZE. These things will help you to be HEALTHY. Tailor it to your needs. When you are eating healthy, drinking water, and exercizing you will lose weight. It won't happen overnight. There are no quick fixes to safe healthy weight loss. You can do it though! I weighed 377 when I started and I am doing it. I'm conviced that if I can, ANYONE can. All it takes is desire and determination and I believe you have all of that you need. You don't need drugs to get there.

Last edited by The Lumpy Shadow; 08-01-2004 at 09:23 AM.
The Lumpy Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote