Old 05-28-2004, 09:46 AM   #31  
GmaTo8

Good morning ladies,

Thanks to you all who shared your prayers with us for Dale... they sure helped!!

Susan - To answer your question from a few days ago, Gina is 31. I do so hope you get the position at work! I had no idea what a "yurt" was, either. It sounds like something from Whoville, lol.

Cristi - Thank you for taking care of telling our sisters here what was going on. I really really apprieciate it. I hope you're going to bring your scrapbooks to Evansville. Now, missy, I better never hear you say "Just" a housewife anymore, lol!! That is the most important job you could ever have! I've worked outside the home (for years and years) and I've worked as "just" a housewife, and the latter is way more hard to do well! We can tell from your posts how dedicated you are to your family.

Marti - YAY for you getting a good grade in Adv. Word.!! Our plans for Memorial Day is that Sunday we're having some of Neal's siblings and their families in. There will be around 30 people here. Mary and Gina are helping with the food, thank goodness. I am making some points-friendly dishes, too. Have you decided what your plans are yet?

Angie - where is my picture of you??? I can't wait to see it! The way I read your post is that you are spucing up the house to give it more curb appeal and not that you are planning to stay there. Is that right? I also saw Shrek 2 and thought it was hilarious!!!

Sue - since you like the Dreamsicle cake, I have to tell you - try using lemon flavors instead of orange for a change. It is delicious!! I used the diet Minute Maid in a can, but you could use 12 ounces of any sugar-free lemonade. And then also use the lemon sf jello. Yum-yum!! The ladies I know who went to Curves liked it, but complained of it causing knee pain. That is one reason why I never went, but it not hurt your knees at all.

I got an extra 2 hours of sleep last night - 9 instead of 7 - and I feel great today! We have had 5.2" of rain since Tuesday, and now the sun is shining so I plan to go pull some weeds. I think I'll post photos of my astilbes - they are gorgeous!

Have a good day!
Jana
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:50 AM   #32  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Smile Good Friday Morning All~

Jana~I am so happy and relieved to hear about Dale, as I know you all are too! And you are so very welcome, it was the least I could do. I am just glad that everything turned out fine. You know, you are right. I don't know why I said 'just' a housewife because I do do A LOT even though some days it seems I do nothing, or hardly anything. Because just having a house gives one lots to do.

Angie~sounds like you are having a rough day. Poor Brandon, geez, he has had his problems with that toe. I hope they get to the root of the problem so he doesn't have to suffer any more. Haven't seen the movie yet, but my son will probably buy it when it comes out on DVD and I will watch it then.

Marti~thanks for clarifying what a yurt is. I have never seen one before. Poor James, I bet he was worried to death about you. I know I worry if I can't get a hold of Vince or if he is late and I know he is on his way home. Of course he worries to.

Susan~hope you and the girls get a yurt and have a wonderful weekend camping out. Yeah, that is why I never touched anyone's laundry!

Hey to everyone else Hope all is well with you all.

Well, I was up early this morning not sure why. But I did get an early start on the day. Just sticking around the house today until Vince gets home and then headed out to do some shopping. We are going to finish up the front yard, actually just around the shrubs with some mulch and brick and get some paint for the deck I don't like the look of raw wood. It has already faded so bad and looks dirty and ugly, to me anyway. Think we are going to start the fence in a couple of weeks, can't wait for that. Anywho, going to do a little bit of cleaning today, and laundry of course-going to be a lazy day today which is fine with me. Hope EVERYONE has a great day today and a great weekend!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:47 PM   #33  
RosieKate

I think YURT stands for Year-round Urban Recreation Tent? Our family likes yurts, too. I grew up really roughing it. Dad was an avid flyfisherman and we camped and backpacked all over Oregon when I was growing up. I married a city boy, however, whose idea of roughing it is a hotel with no room service. After 18 years of togetherness, we reached a camping compromise of yurt camping. They have heat! And if all that togetherness gets on our nerves, we could even rent a tv and vcr! Haven't had to do that thankfully.

They book up very quickly, and I've had no luck getting one for this year, so we are going to try tent camping in August, which we haven't done in about 5 yrs. The kids, of course, are very excited, I'm very excited, DH is adjusting to the idea and even acts like he's looking forward to it. I think as long as he can get a shower and a newspaper, he'll rise to the occasion.

Susan - hope you get one at Fort Stevens. That will be one fun weekend. I enjoy that park. I have a friend who does civil war re-enactments and living history stuff there, so I've taken the kids to see her do her thing.

Jana - I'm so happy for your good news! and it's so nice to check in here and read your posts - glad you are back

Marti - Hang in there - you are almost done! the last few weeks are the worst, I think. A real crunch time. Then - you will feel free!

Everyone else - have a great day and enjoy your holiday weekends. David has taken his athletes to Eugene for the state track meet, won't be home til tomorrow late. He's been so busy with track n field stuff, we just haven't bothered to plan anything for Memorial Day. OMSI ( our science museum) has a new Titanic exhibit which James is very excited about, so maybe we'll do that.

Rosie Kate
Old 05-28-2004, 02:36 PM   #34  
GmaTo8

RosieKate - I just noticed that I left you out earlier, and I didn't mean to! I always try to comment to anyone who has posted after me. Regarding your earlier comments about South Beach, I think people do lose really well on it, (especially in the belly, it seems) and it is refer to as the Healthy Atkins. I personally like WW because you can tailor it to your own family's likes and dislikes and no one food group is limited. Also, I meant to mention how cool it is that you got the strawberry plants from your neighbor!

Cristi - I also don't like the look of raw wood, and would never leave it that way. It just looks.... unfinished, or something. Have fun in the yard today.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:56 PM   #35  

Height: 5'1"

Hello ladies--

Here I am.....thanking god it's friday. And having 3 days of no school!! How great is that? Plus,....the sun is out!! It has POURED the last two days!! "Darn Oregon weather"

I believe I drank too much coffee today!! TOO MUCH!! I'm feeling a bit gittery (did I spell that right?) I need to put that extra energy to cleaning my house,,,,,I'm having company.....my pal Shanna who I haven't seen in weeks!!

Took my audit test in Accounting.....I felt great leaving the room. That should help my grade in the end! (or I'm hoping anyway)

Angie--I haven't seen Shrek2 yet, but Jhanai is wanting to go see it. Also wants to go see Harry Potter. Might go see both the next weekend she is with me!!

Jana--Sounds like a big crowd you're going to have this weekend!! Enjoy every minute with your family. I watched Oprah last night (didn't know she was on at 9:00pm) and it was an interview with Sharon Stone and about her head issues....I can't even imagine what she went through!! Near stroke or anerysm (I can't spell today!) She spent three days with out help. Made me want to cherish every day to the fullest and not sit around sulking! (which I'm sure I'll still do)

Cristi--I will be looking for your postcard this weekend. I believe they have some at Walmart that is just for Cottage Grove. I love getting post cards from other states and towns!! (hint hint to you other girls!!)

RosieKate--My daughter is having an overnight field trip next week and OMSI is one place they will be going. Her dad is going with her and that really ought to be interesting for others to see....a bunch of kids with this fully tattooed and pierced father! Jhanai is very excited.

Ok...I gotta go clean up. I will check in later tonight!

Marti

Ahhh!! Just when I say the sun is trying to peek through and I hear the rain!! It is pouring out!! What is up?!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:28 PM   #36  
a work in progress

Default hello hello!

Hope everyone is having a great day

Jana, I am sooooooo glad everything turned out ok and Dale is fine!!! That was wonderful news to read this morning...

Susan, have my fingers crossed for you about the job and the new place. Camping in a yurt sound like a real adventure. Tim was an avid camper and canoer (is that a word?) when he lived in Michigan, but hasn't been camping since he came out to California to live with me. I did my share of Girl Scout camping when I was a kid, and I like the scenery and the fresh air of camping, and like to cook over a campfire, but at night I want a comfy bed and NO BUGS! So, I'd probably "camp" best in a nice RV or in a lodge at Yosemite I'm sure we'll work out a compromise eventually, heehee...

RosieKate, homegrown strawberries are awesome! I have some that were growing in the front flower bed when we bought our house, but they never produce worth a darn because it's just too shady. I have been trying to decide if it would be worth it to try to transfer them to one of those big strawberry jars in a sunny spot, or if I should just go buy some new plants. About South Beach...I have a male co-worker who went on South Beach, his mom needs a kidney and the doc told him he had to lose 40 lbs before he could even be tested to see if he's a compatible donor. It worked really well for him -- I think he's lost over 50 lbs. He loves to cook, and said there are a lot of good recipes. I am very leery of low-carb diets -- I've looked at Atkins and similar plans and it just looks very unhealthy to me -- but South Beach seems much more balanced and a much healthier eating plan. I do agree with Jana, though -- WW is tried and true, and I've had the most success in the past on WW. The thing is...you gotta watch yourself and maintain, and keep on top of it, or you will gain it back, like I did But I guess that's true of any weight loss endeavor, no matter how you do it.

Suetalks, I like the idea of the Curves program, but it's pretty pricey around here. My husband has been talking about joining California Family Fitness, but to be brutally honest with ya, ladies -- I don't think I could handle trying to huff and puff on an exercise bike next to all those gorgeous, trim, tanned, young things. *sigh* Catch 22, huh -- too out of shape to go to a gym to get IN shape. Tim says I worry too much about what other people think. I do have a gym at my work that opens at 6am. It's small, but only about $20/month, and it's certainly convenient. And I heard that not too many people are in there early in the morning. I'm not an early morning person...so I'd really have to get motivated to do it before work. Motivated = massive amounts of caffeine!

Cristi, I wish you lived around here -- I'd drag you to Lake Tahoe this weekend! I'm fighting a summer cold, but I don't even care...I've got three days off work and I'm going to the mountains with my sweetie

Angie, haven't seen Shrek 2 yet, but loved the first one, and I'm looking forward to seeing this one. Pretty sure I told you we saw Jesus Christ Superstar at a local theater; one of my friends at work is playing the dentist in Little Shop of Horrors, so we will go see that in the next couple of weeks. He must be doing pretty well, because they approached him to play the lead in The Music Man next I am so sorry to hear Brandon's feet are causing him so much trouble! Poor guy...hope the doc can do something to relieve the pain.

Marti, you are in the homestretch. Congrats on the good grades so far! Are you taking a break for the summer, or are you taking summer school? Tim is trying to decide if he is taking math or English comp over the summer...

omigosh, this was a long post! Well, I had to make up for being away so long Hope you all have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. How do you guys post pics for others to see? RosieKate, Suetalks, and Rita, if you like to exchange snail mail cards, PM your addresses to me...I think I have everyone else's address, just about...

Hugs,
Katie
Katiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:18 PM   #37  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Did I mention Im helping out with this new play? Kiss Me Kate? Well I brought home a very long curly wig that needed some TLC,,,it had a bit of a friz, no big deal,,,left it on the table this morning,,,went to work and came home to,,,soemthing that looks like a rat's nest,,,yes you are guessing right,,,Skittles *sigh
She is a character that dog....lol

Well one of my friends has an interview next week at my work...need to email HR and get my other friend in...lol
oh ya a Strike party is,,,,,tearing down the set,,,then actually partying afterwards.

well off to the mall I go...may need to buy a new wig...lol
Angie
ps Jana this is horrible of me to say,,,but i don't have your email...I sent the pic to all those' emails I have....
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:47 PM   #38  
RosieKate

Hey I'm back-
David is out of town, kids are watching Veggie Tales, and I have some extra time! When does that ever happen?

Katie and Jana (and others I can't remember) thanks for the input on South Beach. I had some success on the Zone (sounds similar to SB) several years ago, but it's hard to keep everything balanced at every meal and snack and feed my family as well. I like your input about WW, also. I'm going to read the SB book, out of curiosity, maybe I'll get some ideas. We are eating pretty healthy now, so if I still need to get my butt in gear, WW is still looking like the best fit. The ebay prices on starter kits is very reasonable. I get pretty skeptical about the "latest" diet, 'cause it all comes down to pretty basic nutrition and exercise at the end of the day. But I can see something like SB getting the momentum going.

Marti - If I see a fully pierced tattooed gentleman sobbing uncontrollably at OMSI, I shall offer my support 'cause we all know what a bunch of pre-adolescent girls can do to a poor defenseless daddy! They should have a good time - I just got the OMSI magazine and the Titanic exhibit looks really good. There's going to be a live hookup to a diving expedition to the actual Titanic. Maybe Jhanai will get to see some of that - I can't remember when that part starts. My son is all worked up about the Omnimax movie about the Titanic - gonna have to take him to that, too.
Have a great holiday everyone
RK
Old 05-28-2004, 09:09 PM   #39  
GmaTo8

Hi ladies,

Neal is watching a ballgame, so here I am!

Marti - hope you enjoy your long weekend. Sounds like you got some fun things planned.

Katiecat - I post pics at yahoo photos for free. If you go that route, be sure and click on edit, then make the album public or we won't be able to see it.

Angie - I pm'ed you my email addy, okay? I had to laugh when I pictures Skittles with the wig.... shaking it all around, lol. Hope you can salvage it, lol.

RosieKate - if you want something to get the momentum going, WW's fast track is good at that! I lost 8 1/2 pounds the first week. It is very limiting, but I felt good because the foods I ate were so healthy.

I posted a pic below of DGD Madison smelling the astilbe flowers in my yard. Isn't she just too sweet?? The color of them is called Bressingham Pink.... not easy to find, but so pretty. There are some lavendar ones coming up also, but were just planted this year, so they are behind. Can't wait to see how they turn out. For those who don't know, these are a real good shade flower. The blooms only last about 3 weeks, but wow they are really something.

See you in the morning with a report of my weight loss. I have been OP all week, even during the funeral dinner, so I feel good about that.

Ta ta,
Jana
Old 05-28-2004, 11:09 PM   #40  
GmaTo8

At my DD Katie's request, I tried "photobucket.com". Trying something......

(photo edited out by Jana)
Old 05-29-2004, 12:07 AM   #41  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

I want a little girl,,,Jana can you ask Mary if I could ummmm have one of hers? She has 3....
shes soooo cute...all in pink...*sigh Does she have her ears pierced?

Yes I did save the wig...took some elbow grease...and Tanner wearing the wig while I combed out the really bad tangles...gawd I hope I haven't scarred him...lol Monte wouldn't do it and I couldn't trust Skittles,,,she still was eyeing the wig like it was something to kill. And well Brandon was at work...plus he did wear it once and acted like he was a rock star....he was playing his guitar and everything ....lol yes there are some days we live a colorful life around here...lol
Boy is it ever cold outside,,,rainy and just plain miserable. Tomorrow will be sweater and thick jacket day while yard saling...
Went to Pennington's tonight,,,hadn't seen one of the girls since I left,,,she was with her mom and sister shopping,,,her mom even hugged me...it was sweet. So many pretty clothes...so little time...*sigh
Angelika and I went for a walk in the mall tonight,,,we are going to start dating these dresses...so gorgeous.
well off to bed I go...
Angie
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 12:14 AM   #42  
kitty Momo

Madison is a beauty!! Beautiful picture, thanks so much for sharing!!

No YURTS in my future. So plan B is to help my father at his place. Taking a chair over that he needs and perhapes clean his apartment. Would really like to see him moved because his place is too small. We'll see. If I could get some of the other sisters and brothers to help subsidize his rent that would be great!
Thinking of going to see Troy.
I kind of talked with my supervisor ((not my boss.....my bosses boss))via email tonight. He thought I did a good report on my vacancies.He asked if I thought about applying for Site Managers position........duh. I wrote back saying I HAD........he wrote back saying that he was glad to hear that. He said he thought I would make a good manager. His only concern was putting me in such a big complex. I DO manage at the 2nd biggest in the HAP profolio....lol.
I truthfully am not scared of the size (175 units) I am pretty confident that I can do it. Most of the places are 80 units.
Whatever happens...........happens. I was adding up my net today and when I add $500 credit (...because now my housing is free) I am doing pretty darn good!!
I just wish I had a final answer...........
My boss is sweet.........he keeps saying " I am pulling for you!!".....lol

I guess I better go. Leaving early to hand over a cell phone for someones on call weekend and pick up the Gabster.

Tomorrow is weigh in??? Wow........time goes sooooooo fast.
Best of luck Jana!! Congrats to everyone else that is losing!!!

TTFN

Last edited by Mom2Gaby; 05-29-2004 at 12:17 AM.
Mom2Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 01:28 AM   #43  

Height: 5'1"

Everyone got chatty after I left!!

Well today ended up being a LONG day! I called Shanna late in the afternoon, to see if she was still coming over, and when she answered she sounded tired. So I told her to stay home and not drive all the way to my place...I had some errands to do in town (grandpa is still out of town so I"m still watering his plants) I went to the bank to get my name changed on my checks and my debit card. Can't stay with the old married name for too much longer! Mailed some letter that needed to be sent and then came home. And have been doing pretty much nothing since I got here.

Shanna--Hope you woke up some and got to enjoy the rest of Friday. Hopefully BF took you out and did something fun.

Jana--Cute picture of Madison! She is so cute. I love photos of little ones smelling the flowers!! That's definately scrapbook worthy!!

Katie--Home stretch is right!! Can't wait for it to end. I'm not going back to school so I will be looking for a job. And hopefully it won't take too long to find one....but of coarse I know it will. I sure miss working for Sony and having 4 days off and only working 4 days!!

Angie--I started giggling when I read about the wig and your dog! Then I started picturing my dogs with a curly wig and just started laughing!! They kind of looked at me weird. (see what happens when I'm all alone and no one to talk to??....I get weird!!)

RosieKate--The last time James and I went to OMSI we went to the OMSIMAX...watching a movie in there can make you queasy!! But I really liked going! I believe we watched something on the pyramids....don't quite remember. Oh...and Jhanai's dad.....let him cry!! He's putting himself in the situation!!

Susan--Ok....call me clueless because I know you explained before, but what is it that you do? And how come your housing is free now? How cool is that? Sorry for getting lost with that!

Let me tell you all how mad I was with my dog, Cocoa!! She made me really upset. Both dogs have been very good at not going pass a certain area which leads to the road. Yelling at them pretty much keeps them away. But since James has been gone, they've decided that I'm not worth listening too and so I have been grabbing the leash when I take them out. But this afternoon, I thought they were behaving quite nicely and didn't grab the leash.....well...Chewy came right in..."Good Boy" Cocoa....she did her thing then I thought she was coming right in, but she caught site of a guy walking past and bolted out of site. She ran right into the street...and ran right beside the guy....here I am in my sweats and slippers running and yelling at her. The guy tries to ignore her and finally I ask him if he would help me catch her (she was not letting me touch her!) and so he tried to talk to her (since she was just trotting with him) and then she bolted back to the back yard.....I apologize to the guy and ran back to the house......took her in and spanked her like there was no tomorrow!! I felt bad, but man...there was traffic!! She just looked at me and sat there. (apparently I'm not spanking hard enough!) So no more going out with out a leash until we get a fence up!!

How do you think I looked in my comfy sweats and slippers running down the road yelling at a little dog??

Ok...I've rambled on long enough. You all have a good night....I'm going to grab the leash and take the dogs out!

Take care
Marti
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 07:38 AM   #44  
GmaTo8

Good morning ladies,

Angie - thanks for the picture of you. You are so very pretty!! Something about your smile made me think of Kate Hudson right away. Yep, Madison has her ears pierced.... all of Mary's girls do.

Susan - it's good the big boss knows who you are. Maybe he will have some input on who gets the position. I'm hoping it will be you.

Marti - lol, Cocoa must have thought you needed a little excitement in your life.

I'm down 2 1/2 more pounds and feeling real good about that. When we had the fear about Dale, I wanted to munch like crazy, but stayed with raw veggies. Boy am I ever glad I did!

Gotta do some cooking today for the party tomorrow. Katie and Kayla (her friend who is like one of the family) are helping out with the cleaning to repay for some concert tickets I bought them. That's gonna help a lot.

BBL,
Jana
Old 05-29-2004, 12:14 PM   #45  
RosieKate

good morning gals!

Jana - Your DGD is awfully cute, she look about the same age as my DD. The astilbes are beautiful, and your hostas aren't too shabby either! Mine are just limping along. I keep dividing them for other parts of the yard. I need to just leave them be for a year. I have a shady north side of the house the could use some astilbes...hmm...hmmm, I'm gonna need DH to tie me to a chair - I'm dangerous in a nursery!
Marti - lol - well, you could have been wearing a bathrobe with curlers in your hair! Glad your puppy is safe and sound.
Susan - thought about you yesterday. The Oregonian had an article about a HAP property off of Burnside. I hope you get this job. Maplewood ELem. sent home yearbooks yesterday and I saw your daughter's pic. Lee's class, right? I can see a resemblance for sure - she's cute! Is she looking forward to graduating and moving on to middle school?

Well, I sneaked a weighin today ( usually I wait til Monday) and I lost another 2 lbs. This was after breakfast, with TOM, to boot. So I'm doing a happy dance..... gonna hold on til Mon - so the scale says the same then, too
RK