3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Diet, Exercise & Support #7 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/38399-diet-exercise-support-7-a.html)

debee 03-27-2004 09:06 PM

Hi,

Just a quick note to quick in...Cjunk I loved your story! Cyan, this morning I finally got some exercise in...my son 's school had a 5k run and walk so ( am.m in the rain we did it...it made me realize how out of shape I am...I didn't run but walked the whole way...after in the gym they had free cookies, pretzels and pasta stations ... a carb blow-out for the walkers and runners...I was good only a few bites of chciken in tomato sauce.

Food today was as follows:

two eggs over medium for breakfast, lunch was a soft chicken taco and nachos (cheated on the carbs but I was hungry) and dinner was grilled chicken in spicy sauce, snack was adkins chocolate bar (taste pretty good and only 2g) hubby and kids had pizza and I never even took a bite(good girl) and 6 jellybeans and green tea. Wore level 2 pants until mid day and then needed break to level one-o. It is hard to keep up healthy habits on the weekend!

newinspiration 03-28-2004 09:24 AM

Mercy Me!!! Have I missed the posts! I've been reading for over a half an hour, and finally had to skim the last few days. It sounds like suddenly we've become a very lively group! And I know that liveliness and commitment I've sensed will help us all. Today is my birthday :hb: --I'm 48--I think I'm the oldest in this crowd--that doesn't matter though, because I only feel older in that there are more years to remember and more experiences to call on when I am doing life today. Except for a few minor aches and pains (sciatica and probably arthritis) in my hips and legs, I really don't feel old physically. I was blessed last night with a compliment from an old friend I hadn't seen in probably 4 years--she said the nicest thing to me--I'm going to try to quote--she said, "Barb!!! You look so good! You don't age!!!" Now, tell me, did that feel good to me? You bet it did! As my birthday present to myself, I am going to walk around the track in the park this morning. I haven't done it since November, so I miss it desperately. The weather here in Chicago has moderated--in the 50's and 60's without too much wind, so I can go out without freezing.

The reason I didn't post all week was that I was very tired :tired: from all the housework and paper grading I did last weekend, plus it was an absolutely crazy week. :crazy: Last night I finally finished grading these periodic reading tests I have to give to my students--lots of reading for me in the grading part because they write out a lot of answers. Then I have to fill out all this paperwork on each student's results--involving which questions they got wrong and right--then make up master sheets with all of the students' results posted. There are two tests like this. The tests total about 75 questions in all, plus two essay questions written in two booklets (so I keep having to turn pages to find out what they are doing). Multiply that by 28 students, and that's a lot of work!!! :dizzy: That is, of course, in addition to my daily work and carting my older daughter to dance and flute lessons and the younger one to a sleepover, after, of course, buying a birthday present for the girl involved, dealing with a husband with a toothache (does the word CRABBY spell crabby?) He's getting the tooth out tomorrow, thank God! He wants to have a dental implant to replace the tooth, which will probably not be covered by the insurance we don't have yet, but I agree with that plan as opposed to the bridge or leaving a space options. So we'll fork out the $2000 :eek: it costs. Luckily we're both working again. I still have more papers to grade, and quarter grades are coming due, but I am finding the whole thing more manageable. Also, I will start teaching math to my fifth graders tomorrow in a switch with the fourth grade teacher. She was teaching math to 4th and 5th grade, and I was teaching them English. Scheduling was too difficult, and the students aren't mature enough to be out of a self contained classroom as much as they were, so we're starting the switch tomorrow. I still teach 4th grade social studies, but I don't have to teach science at all!! I just don't think I'd be very good at that.

Now--to the crazy week I had. This all pertains to school. I started Monday going to a conference sponsored by the Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago to help teachers deal with the problem of sexual abuse of children (because of that whole priest sexual abuse scandal going on in the church right now). That morning the media announced that 6 local Catholic schools (not mine) were closing and consolidating into two. So many of the teachers at this conference (some of which I knew from my days working at the teachers' store) will be losing their jobs. Also, in my childhood, although I was never sexually abused, I experienced physical and verbal abuse in my home due to my father's alcoholism, which I believe helped me to be affected more emotionally to the abused children in two videos we saw in that conference Monday. My parent-teacher conference Tuesday went well, but those things require a lot of energy, which I really didn't have. The school days on Tuesday and Wednesday were pretty good, except for the discipline problems in my class--I've narrowed it down to three boys--from nine 6 weeks ago when I took over the class. Then on Thursday I received a very upsetting, critical, threatening phone call from a parent (this woman is known for being a troublemaker in the school and harassing teachers) whose twin children I have in 4th grade social studies (where we have been learning about the history of the southeast United States, including slavery, civil rights, etc., and even relating it to the apartheid system that formerly existed in South Africa) mentioned to her that I uttered the "n" word in class, and she decided it was inappropriate that I had done so (even when I told her that I was answering a question a student had asked me about language that has been historically used to put down African American people in America, and there was no way to answer the question properly without discussing that word). She said she was informing the principal and pastor about what I had done, and then she asked me not to discuss our conversation with anyone and questioned my professionalism in suggesting that I might treat her children unfairly in class because she had spoken to me!!!!! :stars: :censored: :faint: :mad: Now the principal was away at a meeting that day, and I didn't know what the pastor would think if he heard the story from this woman before he heard it from me--like I said, she is a troublemaker--I actually feel sorry for the kids. Anyway, I did talk to the principal by phone that evening. She agreed that I had done nothing wrong, and the next day she reassured me that the pastor felt the same way. But then Friday morning I started my day at 8:20 a.m. with one of my discipline problem children flinging a pen cap across the room and hitting another child in the eye--I was writing on the board at the time, so I didn't see it. :nono: Of course, the kid didn't admit doing it. Shortly thereafter, a policewoman who regularly comes into our classroom to teach an anti-drug/anti-gang program arrived for her lesson, and I got the principal, and for the next hour we investigated the incident by asking the students in the class to write anonymously what they knew about the incident, plus questioning individuals who seemed like they could be involved. :headache: Finally the guilty party confessed :stress: (we weren't doing anything until it was resolved) and received a punishment, and the principal and I are meeting soon to discuss some tightening of structure for those students. I also have outlawed pen caps and pens with pocket clips, pencils with erasers worked out of the metal end, uncovered rubber bands (even for hair or holding pencils together)--stretchy pony tail ties are okay, as long as they are covered--student-owned scissors (a kid last week took apart a pair of kid scissors, and it looked like two knives), rulers (another kid a few weeks ago broke his ruler into little pieces and threw pieces around the room), paper clips (they were bringing them to school, unfolding them, and throwing them), staplers, staple removers--yes, this is a Catholic school, and no, I don't allow this sort of thing to go on--it's been something that they have been doing on the sly, when I am writing on the board or looking at the book, or something like that, and it's hard to catch a student in the act. :devil: I've confiscated things, told kids to take things home, broken a kid's ruler when he brought a new one in after I took the pieces of the one he broke himself and was throwing into a girl's hair. Now if any child has any of the things I have outlawed, he will be given a detention, no questions asked. :drill: :judge: Parents, I'm learning, aren't always cooperative these days, so even talking with parents about the behavior of their children often doesn't help. :headache: The mother of the kid who threw the pen cap knows her kid is a problem, but she pretty much accepts that he is just like that. I don't think she knows what to do with him either. So I'm often on my own, with the help of the principal only, in a situation like this. :stress:

Anyway, in trying to calm down after my day, I stayed after school pretty late to just putter around my room, which upset hubby. I wasn't too nice to him in response to what he said about it, and later when he spoke sharply to me later about something else, I absolutely went off on him. :bomb: Then yesterday I, for no good reason, went off on my older daughter about something she has been doing that is bothering me, but I hadn't really discussed it with her. :bomb: :bomb: I apologized to them both, and discussed the issue I needed to with my daughter--probably better than I would have had I not blown up--but too bad I just couldn't have done the right thing in the first place. :sorry: I can have a sharp tongue, and I said some pretty mean things to her, which I can never take back. :rollpin: :cry: I also discussed with my husband that I need to find a way to express feelings of anger that I can't express at school without hurting people at home. He agreed to be in charge of dinner :chef: on Fridays so I can just come home after school and crash. :faint: Anyway, that was my week. I didn't really follow my eating plan beyond the second day, though I didn't do too badly either. Starting April 8, I am off school for a week and a half for Easter break, so I am going to try a Phase 1 low carb period and walk every day at the track. Maybe I can lose three or four pounds. :cheer: As of last week's weigh-in, I was still at 156.5, unbelievably--only by the grace of God, I'm sure. :thanks:

Well, Cjunk, as you can see, I am also a chatter. :blah: I have gone on and on with these ladies for months now, and they still like me. It's nice to know that there's someone else out there that's also very verbal. :)

Welcome, Wubba! The girls give nicknames here--I'm Newie--short for newinspiration. I love it. For me, it's a sign of affection and caring. :goodvibes How interesting to me that you're from Australia. I've had a penpal from Australia for about 11 years now. She also is from the south. I think she lives somewhere she calls Wesburn. She lives out in the country, and that is what I write on letters I send her before I write Victoria and Australia. Are you familiar with that area?

Well, cyan, you are sticking to your plan well. :cp: You're helping me hang in there, as are the rest of you ladies, with your enthusiasm. I know I'm going through a very stressful time right now. :stress: I am still happy to be back in teaching; it's just a lot different from what it used to be.

Well, I'm going to go now. I've been on this board for over two hours now. Tomorrow I've got a conference with another set of parents :stars: --of a behavior problem child--not the one who threw the pen cap, but the one who drives me the most crazy. I'm going to try to be good to myself today. Hubby just told me to go for a walk. Thanks for listening to me, ladies. :wave: You're life savers, all of you!! :) :)

newinspiration 03-28-2004 09:42 AM

Hey, it's just me back, testing to see if my last, extremely long post actually posted. My browser closed on me when I pressed "Submit" and I practically freaked out that it could all be lost. It seems okay, but I want to be sure. Bye for now again. Newie/Barb :coffee:

MikiG 03-29-2004 09:14 AM

Hi everybody! I am still just thrilled with how busy our thread has become lately. For awhile there, it was really lonesome around here, right Cyan?? I have missed you all bunches lately. I've only had a chance to post a couple of times in the last 3 weeks and took me forever to get caught up again reading. Things have been hectic around here.

My uncle( my dads brother) has had leukemia for almost 2 yrs but for the last 6 months has been feeling good and enjoying his retirement with his wife. Three weeks ago, he started feeling bad and was put into the hospital on a Sunday. On the next Thursday, he was sent home with the news that the cancer was back with a vengeance and past the stage where any treatment would stop it now. He was given 2 months to live. He made it less than 3 weeks. His funeral was this past Wed. I've been a taxi service lately picking up and taking family members to the airport 60 miles away. My cousin/best friend/my uncles daughter, Vicki who moved to CA a year ago came in the first week to visit with him while he was able to do so. Had to pick her up and take her back that week. The very next week, she had to return for the funeral. I am sooo glad she came when she did the first time so she had that time with him. Her boyfriend came in from CA also but couldnt come in on the same flight or day so had to pick him up and take him back also but at diff times. I think I have made 6 trips to the Airport in less than two week's time.

My aunt ( my dad's other brother's wife) had a heart attack during all this with my uncle. It happened that first week and she is still in intensive care now 3 weeks later. The worst part of her situation was that she had the heart attack on the same day she was to attend her mom's funeral!! She and her family all missed the funeral. The kids wanted to be at their grandmother's funeral but didnt want to leave their mom to do so. Hard time for them all. My uncle hasnt left his wife's side during all of this but that meant he has had no time to come deal with the death of his own brother! We all understood that his priority was with his wife of course, but he has had no kind of closure concerning the loss of his brother because he never got to come visit him after he was sent home, then missed the funeral also. Really sad situation.

Ok, also during all this, my sis's 12 yr old son was having stomach pains and went to the doctor 4 days straight. He ended up having his appendics taken out so of course we had to go see him which was also an hour away. On the day he was admitted to the hospital, another of my sisters was here for the weekend. We had planned my neice Kaylen's 3rd birthday party for that day while they were here. I feel like I"ve just been living in a whirlwind lately!!!

Spring Break was right in the middle of all of this also, and I didnt want it to be just dealing with sickness and death so the kids and I did a few things. Went to the zoo, ate out alot, etc. Needless to say, my food choices havent been the best. Ate more for convenience than for health. I am happy to report tho that other than the weekend, I have walked at least 2 miles every day!! :D Dont know how I managed to fit that in, but I did and felt better knowing that.

Well, that pretty much catches everyone up on what's been going on with me lately. Now, if I dont jump in the shower, I'm going to end up late for work.

Hope everyone has a great Monday!

MIKI

cyan 03-29-2004 09:47 AM

Its Monday Again

Hey Ladies

Hey Miki..sorry to hear about yor Uncle and your nephew having his appentics taken out. I hope he feels better soon.

Hey Newie...wow you've have a hectic week.

I bought a fancy new digital scale over the weekend...Its made from glass and steal...very sleep and ultra modern...but on the downside...its says I weigh 173 pounds in the morning and in the evenings...it says I can weigh as much as 178 on a full stomach with clothes and without clothes ..it says I weigh 174.5 to 176 :?: :eek: :fr: I hate scales.... I have been so good with the eating and the exercising and now this new scale has be weighing even more that before. Oh I am soooooooooo depresed and angry...but I will see what happens my the end of this week with this new scale.

today's breakfast was 1/2 cup of all bran with one cup of skim milk
lunch is black bread with turkey breast and hummus spread
dinner is sole fillet with broccoli
snacks are sugarless jello, mixed berries and sugarless yogurt

I will also cycle my usual distance

wish me luck

Cyan

cyan 03-29-2004 09:48 AM

oop

I meant sleek

and you've had a hectic week

ugh

reina_mia 03-29-2004 11:25 PM

Hello everyone.

Happy Belated Birthday Newie, Another ARIES....I love it...

Miki, I am soooo sorry to hear about all that sadness going on in your life. What a horrible thing to be going through. My prayers are with you and your family....

Cyan, I hate scales too, Keep up the good work, one of those darn demons will give you the right measurements.

I will post more later, I am still trying to catch up on all the post. Miki is right,everyone is so lively lately.

I just wanted to catch you up on all that is happening. I went for a birthday dinner with my family and it was really nice one. And cjunk, this is for you. Live vicariously and put the diet mind away for a moment..... We had a Family styel dinner....Here is what was on the menu: Ceasar Salad, Chopped Chicken Salad, Lemon Chicken Piccata, Mostoccoli with meat sauce, Spaghetti Aglio Olio, Chicken Vesuvio, Bruchetta, Fried Zucchini and drum roll please...................For dessert..Tiramisu & Strawberry Cheesecake..... It was delicious.
Ok, now back to reality..... Just because that was all on the table doesn't mean I ate it all. I did eat very very small portions of some of the stuff. I just tried little bits of most of it. OK, and now for the truth. I really had a nice big piece of Tirimisu. I JUST LOVE THAT STUFF..

Well, I am off to bed, and when I wake up, another year older..... Flav, Alex and I will be dining out tomorrow, so I will catch up with you all later in the week. By then I will catch up on all the posts. Cjunk, I have to read your story.....

You all stay OP and I will touch base later!!!

Later gators!

cyan 03-30-2004 09:24 AM

Its Tuesday

Hello Ladies

Hey Happy Belated Birthday Newie... :hb: :gift: :queen: :balloons:

I'm an Aries too...my birthday is coming up on april 16th :lol:

Anyway, breakfast this mornign was all bran cereal with skim milk

lunch will be ham sandwhich with cheese on black bread

dinner will be oven roasted chicken with green salad

snacks are sugarless jello, mixed berries

beverages are diet soda, water, coffee and white tea

I cycled last night but only for 15 minutes...5km's ...the music sucked...oh well...I will cycle more tonight.

I hope that new scale complies with my wishes and start showing losses the next time I step on it...which will be on monday...or else I will lose my mind.

Have a great day everyone

later
Cyan

cyan 03-31-2004 09:15 AM

Hey Ladies

Just a quick note..still plugging away at it.

Today's meals

breakfast 1/2 cup of all bran buds with 1 cup of skim milk
lunch whole wheat pita with chicken and hummus and 1 cup of broccoli
dinner scallops and shrimp with spinach
snacks sugarless jello, 3 mineola tangerines
beverages water, diet soda, white tea and one cup of coffee

Have a great day folks

Cyan

cjunk 03-31-2004 10:07 AM

Hi There,

Just a quick post to say that I have been trying to keep on track this week. Went to the gym yesterday and used the treadmill for 45 minutes and almost got 5km in on a grade of 6. Was pleased with myself but determined to get 5km in within a 45 minute timeframe. That will be my new goal. Then maybe I might enter a 5k race sometime just to say that I did it--(with a time like that I definitely won't win!!). Mostly walking fast and no running until I build up my cardio.

Plans to go to the gym today as well. I hope to get there at least 3 times per week. Last week I only made it 2x but it is much better than the winter where there were many weeks that I didn't make it at all.

Cyan--good for you for keeping on track. I don't pay attention to scales much--in fact I don't even own one. I like using the measuring tape instead as I think it tracks my tone change as well. Even then I don't use it much.

Newie--Happy belated birthday!! Great to read your posts--so nice to have a talker like me online. Read the whole thing and it sounded like a really tough week--hope you are giving yourself some wind down time this week to compensate. Create a pamper yourself day. Your description of watching the video at the conference would be difficult--almost like re-living elements of your childhood. You deserve to have a peaceful moment or more to let those things that poison your system leave you--do you have a relaxation exercise that helps? Mine is swimming because I have to concentrate on breathing and staying afloat (I am a terrible swimmer) that nothing else can occupy my mind.

Miki-My goodness you also had a tough week. I am so sorry to hear about your uncle's passing. Also your aunt and her heart attack. Also your nephew and his surgery. That makes three--and if you are in any way superstitious, it means that the challenges are done. My thoughts are with you and your family in this time and I hope that things improve. How is your aunt now? Amazing that you could put in the time to walk during all of this. That clearly shows a lifestyle change...and a positive one at that!! Great work!

Debee--congrats on the 5k walk/run. I am still working up to the run part!! Eventually I will get there. Great work. I am wearing skinny pants again today. Already a bit uncomfortable at the waist but it is what is keeping my mind on the gym today!!

Reina_Mia--Your birthday dinner sounded awesome!! Man did I live vicariously through you for sure!! The only difference is that I would have indulged in the cheesecake instead of the Tiramisu--the sad reality is ...I am allergic to chocolate (even though I love the taste of it). Cheesecake is definitely one of my fav's. Have a great week!!

Betty and Wubba--look forward to hearing how things are going!!

Talk to you all soon,

Cjunk

cyan 04-01-2004 09:40 AM

Its Thurdsday

This week has kinda went by fast.

I have been doing very well foodwise...its great!

although I got confused with yesterday's menu...I thought I was having the shrimp and scallops but it was sole I had with salad instead of spinach...all in all ...it was still under my calorie count even with the two peanut butter cookies..which I make with reduced sugar and no flour...and yes they are good...I had semi sweet chocolate chips into the mix for that added umph!

Anyway I didnt exercise last night...I had to take care of Momma..it was her bath time and I did some grooming like clip her toe nail and finger nails...ya know..stuff like that.

Anyway...
Breakfast: all bran cereal with skim milk
lunch: smoked meat with tabouli
dinner: broiled hamburger pattie with portobello mushrooms, spinach and feta
snacks: medium banana, sugarless jello
beverages: diet soda, water, coffee and white tea

Have a great OP Day everyone.

Cyan

MikiG 04-01-2004 01:43 PM

Just a quick post....just returned from my aunt's funeral...the one who had the heart attack. Turned out that her heart was the least of her problems. Now about to head out again to get Luke from school. He broke his glasses this week so I've got to take him to the eye doctor which is an hour away. Just wanted everyone to know I'm still around and will get back regularly as soon as possible. Miss you all!!

MIKI

cyan 04-01-2004 03:27 PM

Miki ...Oh Dear..let me get this straight...Your uncle and aunt both passed away and your sister's son had surgery...yikes...that is tough..I send you a big hug

hang in there

Cyan

cyan 04-01-2004 03:27 PM

I feel very sad for your uncle that survived his wife's and brother's passing. I send him a big hug too

Cyan

cyan 04-01-2004 03:29 PM

I'm all confused...explain again please when you get the courage

sorry for my confusion..ahhhhhhhh