Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 10:38 PM   #496  
Hot Stuff

Cerise, luv, you didn't mean for this to happen! Don't blame yourself! I know how horrible you must be feeling, and how hard it would be to watch your Frankie die. You did the right thing, you stayed with her, and it was all you COULD do. Losing a loved pet is never an easy thing, and you have every right to be upset and cry. You should, in fact. Don't try to bury your grief because you feel guilty. We will have none of that! I'm so very sorry this happened.

wsw, glad to see you surface and hope better days are in store for you!
Old 04-28-2004, 06:50 AM   #497  

Hello all!

Yes, wouldnt it be great if Friday was here!

I think I will keep that in mind all day and then think " I would've missed this event ( circumstance, etc) if Wed didnt happen .....
We're thinnking along the same lines again!
I've went yardsaling alone Saturday and realized many times that by only looking at a few things I was overlooking other things...more than once, there would be yard sales in adjoining yards but I wouldnt realize until I was leaving the first....

Sometimes by just changing our direction slightly, the view changes dramatically....

SO! Its chilly here this am ... turned the heat on for a second to take the chill out of the air but its off now! So! That means, the a/c isnt needed today!

Storm appears to have passed so my towels can try and dry again outside!

Thought of the day :
"Every good thought you think is contributing to its share to the ultimate
result of your life."
---Grenville Kleiser

Question of the day :

" Are a famous soda company delivery drivers on strike in your area? Will it
matter to you?"

Kettle is on!
Old 04-28-2004, 08:18 AM   #498  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Message to all s, I think the consensus may be that the yahoo group is not going to take off, so I'm going to kill it this a.m. ... don't want it out there for too long ... no hard feelings, I'm just leery of this site because of aforementioned issues but this site is working well today and spam is down. Taking a hiatus for a few days and likely will be back ...
Old 04-28-2004, 09:09 AM   #499  

Now I know we have few "rules" in the Court, but I think there is one that says no "likely"s are allowed. We need our Empress.

QOD - if they are, I don't know about it. And no personal difference to me, but dh might be affected 'twere it the other company. (Come to think of it though, my dear TAB might run out before the strike be settled and that's delivered by the apparent drivers of the apparent "off" workers = so I guess it would depend.)
Old 04-28-2004, 03:56 PM   #500  
caffeine free!

Howdy!
Back from DC. It was definitely an experience. First of all, I got some drugs for the flight, and it was really no problem. Lorazapam. Excellent. I flew in on Saturday night and arrived at Dulles at ten, so I had a bit of an adventure getting to the hotel. It took an hour and a half. When I got there my co-worker had just arrived and found out that the room was not actually paid for, just reserved, and that instead of two beds they had only given us one. Fortunately it was really enormous. Then I found out that my return ticket was for the wrong day. I got it straightened out, but it another $100. Yikes.

We went to the march on Sunday. The crowd was amazing. Heard some good speeches and got a sunburn on my nose. Then we went to Dupont circle and found one really stupid bar and then one really good bar

On Monday and Tuesday we had the conference and lobbying. I was expecting just to kind of sit there and let other people talk, but I ended up as the person to talk about one of the issues. Crazy. Mostly we met with staffers, but one of our senators actually came to the meeting which was really cool.

I just narrowly missed getting to go to the supreme court hearing regarding the VP and the energy companies. Unfortunately it conflicted with one of our lobby visits.

I am, needless to say, super glad to be home. Very tired.

Cerise - I am so sorry to hear about your dove. You did the right thing.

Amarantha - do not be gone too long. I missed the whole yahoo group thing.

QOD: nope, they are not on strike, and even if they were I do not drink that stuff.

Hello to everyone else. I must type up my extensive lobby notes.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:11 PM   #501  
deleted2

What's the controversy going on here? Has there been some problem? Clue me in, somebody!

Alls well with me. Did 5 tours for first graders today and it was fun but I'm tired! Feel in need of a treat---not food though!

Old 04-29-2004, 06:18 AM   #502  

Hello all!

Since we all have different computer systems, browsers, security, etc., its hard to guess what can happen to other folks computer systems.... but I do see here above the "reply to thread' box the warning in bright green about NOT including your email address as if you do, it WILL be picked up by Spambots ..... I do not know what a Spambot is although I am guessing its an automatic program looking for matching words to send spam related messages. Perhaps someone else can enlighten us....

Seems as though there are problems w/ Yahoo too....I've belonged to other groups there and unless you make them "by invitation" only, there is lots of xxx rated trolling.... and by inviation only can be awkward to get in and out if if you have to change passwords for some reason....
Then I belonged to another on MSN and for some reason, my system suddenly would "dump" everytime I tried to post there. And that's even more frustrating.....

There must be another alternative.... we are just not thinking of it at the moment....

I know some mail systems allow you to block "unrecognized" addresses.... but I don't think I have it ....

Except for the problem of a spam mail containing a virus, I pretty much act like they were a telephone solicitor.... just get rid of them as fast as I can...
But then again, I do rely on my Virus Security probably more than I should.

Thought of the day :

"Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses."
---Confucius

Question of the day :

"Have you tried the new "invisible" 'paint -on' Bandaids?"

Must be gone, need to get in early as I hope to take tomorrow off.

KETTLE IS ON!
Old 04-29-2004, 07:50 AM   #503  
deleted2

Thanks for the info, Kaylets. I thought that I'd missed something! I just hope we can all stay together; I'd hate to see the queendom fall to ruins. We can't let that happen!!!!

About those paint-on bandaids: haven't used them myself but they've been great for the dogs when they have little wounds.

Anybody shopped for bathing suits this year yet? I haven't bought a new one in 3 years but I'm going shopping today--wish me luck and courage. [I just wish that I'd used a little self-tanner last night. I'm white as a trout's belly!]

Old 04-29-2004, 08:21 AM   #504  

Hmmm - interesting. I don't have "reply to thread" or any green message. Only time I've ever used e-mail address was in a pm but guess they aren't as private as I thought. Plus my email address showed up when I googled anagram. But this problem is much more recent than when I pm'd address last fall. Plus I have a gazillion popups all of a sudden. I'm sure not all (or even many) are attributable to 3FC. But there is a longlasting Special K one that is particularly irritating.

To be nice here today and I hope to take advantage of that - before and after the dentist. Finally seem to be over cold or allergies from ****. Roughest I've had in years.

So glad to see you back, wsw. And hope things are looking up.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:28 AM   #505  

In searching for green message found a green one called "ads by google". I do google a lot and that may explain why the increase in junk. Even the annoying special K popup since no one else seems to mention it.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:15 AM   #506  
caffeine free!

I installed a pop-up blocker a couple of months ago and my frustration level went down significantly.

I have a special email that I use for signing up for things, so it just gets junk mail. I figure if the powers that be are going to send me into junk mail land I can give them my junk mail address. So far it works pretty well because I just delete everything that I get.

QOD: nope, never tried paint on bandages.

For some reason I feel really good today. I guess it is the calm after the past few days (and weeks) of hectic activity.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:25 PM   #507  

Thanks, zadie. I'll talk to my techson about the popup blocker when he shows up to spybot for me.

Went to buy the paint on bandaids the other week and the particular store didn't have them.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:13 PM   #508  
Hot Stuff

Just a thought, but we could simply do an e-mail chat. All we'd have to do is include everyone's e-mail in the Send To field for the first e-mail, then everyone would do a Reply To All rather than just a Reply when answering (like we do here in posting) the e-mail. This would keep our "posts" strictly in an e-mail. There shouldn't be security issues with that, and no spam. Each time someone replies to the e-mail, we would receive a new e-mail containing all the replies. Only problem might be if anyone has limited in-box size. We could start a new one weekly, maybe?

Just a suggestion.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:44 AM   #509  

Hello all!

See what I mean, when Anagram clicks on "Reply to Thread" she doesnt get the green message I do... which I am seeing right now as I type..
The Special K IS very annoying... I see how fast I can click on "close"...getting very quick I must say... the other popups I try to treat like commericals....although there are some that I have had to especially block their addresses as they have the nerve to set up their own home page, tool bar, etc....and have the audacity to know if their first address is stopped, to send a default.... THAT IS VERY ANNOYING....

A round robin email is ok by me...
Except we don't seem to have Punkin's current address-- if I remember she
changed services recently...
and I think we are short a few other members too..

Empress... its way too quiet when you arent around....

This story was posted on my WW's thread and thought everyone might enjoy it....
A Story of Tragedy ... and Triumph

Brothers Michael and Chris were both born in the early 1960s and grew up in a mostly black neighborhood in Richmond, California, right outside of San Francisco.

Both boys were well behaved in school and brought home mostly A's on their report cards all through grade school.

But coming from a working-class family with eight children, money was always tight, so the boys often had to go without. In fact, things were so tight, the two growing boys were often hungry.

So they did what many boys do when they're hungry and have no food - they stole. From the time they were five until they were well out of high school, the boys stole. They stole crackers from the cupboard in the middle of the night ... they stole cookies from the grocery store ... and they stole sandwiches from the sandwich shop.

If it wasn't nailed down and was worth something, Michael and Chris would find a way to steal it. They even stole money from their parents from time to time. But more often than not, they stole to satisfy their hunger.

When it was time for Michael and Chris to attend high school, they were bused across town to Kennedy High School. It was during high school that something happened that made Chris decide to change his behavior. At the end of his freshman year in high school, Chris had received three A's and three F's on his report card - the first time he had failed anything in school

Because Kennedy High School only allowed three failures over four years, one more F and Chris would be kicked out of school. That's when he made up his mind to change. Years later Chris would recall that defining moment in his life with these words:

"I sat outside my house at the beginning of that summer knowing that I was letting my chance slip away. One more F and I'd be just another high school dropout, hanging around the neighborhood, hoping to get on with the county or to get into the service.

"At the time I didn't know my brother Rusty would end up in prison ... or that my brother Harold would die without having seen much of the world. I certainly didn't know what would happen to Michael. I only knew that I had to get out of there. I wanted to see San Francisco every day, to pick out my own clothes, drive my own car, and be whatever a man could hope to be, not just a black man, not just a man from the flats of Richmond. I wanted no limitations. I wanted to be whatever a man could hope to be."

Chris' decision to change his behavior wasn't an easy one. He took a lot of grief from his friends for choosing to excel in school, instead of squeaking by with C's and D's. But that decision to change took him in an entirely different direction from his brother Michael, who resisted changing his unproductive behavior.

Chris went on to graduate from high school ... graduate from college ... and graduate from law school. For 15 years he worked as a Deputy District Attorney in Los Angeles, California, prosecuting murderers, drug dealers, gang members and crooked cops. Today Chris is better known as Christopher. You probably recognize him by his full name - Christopher Darden, one of the lead prosecutors in the trial of the century, the O. J. Simpson trial!

What became of Christopher's brother, Michael? After high school Michael joined the army and returned to his hometown shortly after his tour of duty. Back in Richmond, Michael continued his pattern of anti-social behavior - hustling in the streets ... and stealing to support himself and a growing drug habit. On November 29, 1995, Michael Darden died at the age of 42 ... from AIDS.

This story of triumph and tragedy serves to remind us that when it's all said and done, who we are and what we become is determined by the choices we make.

We can choose to get better ... or we can choose to get bitter. Whether we make those choices to improve at age 14, like Christopher Darden ... or at age 64, like Colonel Sanders, those choices have the power to dramatically increase our value in virtually everything we do.

That's what the saying "change ... or be changed" is all about. Christopher Darden changed. He changed from being a criminal ... to prosecuting criminals.

He changed his attitude from being angry and sullen ... to being open and accepting.

He changed from an underachiever ... to an honor student who took responsibility for his grades and his education.

He changed from a disillusioned teen-ager with low self-esteem ... to an optimistic young man determined to turn his dreams into reality.

His brother Michael, on the other hand, was changed. He was changed by grinding poverty ... he was changed by the code of the streets ... he was changed by illegal drugs ... and finally, he was changed by an insidious disease.

Christopher Darden made the tough choices ... he made the changes in his life that helped him accomplish his dreams.

His brother Michael, on the other hand, took the easy way out - or at least what he thought was the easy way out. He kept hanging around the same group of loser friends ... he kept practicing the same self-destructive habits. As a result of the changes they did or did not make, both men chose their fates: Christopher chose to became a successful prosecutor. And Michael chose to become just another sad story of the streets.

The sobering truth is, "Either way, you pay!" The truth is the price that Michael paid for refusing to change was much higher than the price that Christopher paid for seeking to change.

I'd like to think that Michael didn't die in vain. I'd like to think that by hearing this story, some people will finally understand the profound importance of making positive, productive changes in their lives.

When it's all said and done, you have a choice.

You can choose to become Michael.

Or you can choose to become Christopher.

You can continue to do the things that will lead to frustration and unhappiness.

Or you can make the changes that help you get what you want most out of life.

Don't choose to become like so many people who COULD HAVE become a millionaire ... or who COULD HAVE become happier ... or who COULD HAVE become healthier ... or who COULD HAVE made a contribution - but didn't.

Start making the changes you need to make TODAY ... so that you can become the person you want to become TOMORROW!

-- Excerpted from You, Inc. by Burke Hedges and Steve Price © 2000

Thought of the day :
" We can choose to get better ... or we can choose to get bitter. "
--Excerpted from You, Inc. by Burke Hedges and Steve Price © 2000

Question of the day :
" How often do you buy lottery tickets?"

I am home today getting ready for a yard sale--

ANAGRAM! You're right! THIS IS SO MUCH WORK!
But..... 15 minutes at a time, right??? Get the most important things out there right???

Kettle is on!
I will do my best to come poke back in as I plan on this being my "break" !
Old 04-30-2004, 07:53 AM   #510  

Default Ceara

Ceara- Just saw your private message and tried to reply but 3FC says you have chosen not to recv private messages.....

Send me your email address ok?
Closed Thread