Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 11:32 AM   #1  

Default Carbohydrates!

I just finished reading Carbohydrate Addict's Diet (CAD) and they were talking about me! The continuous munchies, never feeling satisfied, irritability, drugged feelings after eating, being able to go all morning without anything but feeling ravenous within an hour if I ate carbs for breakfast...... It goes on and on. I knew in my heart that I needed to go low-carb, but with such a hectic life, it is soooo easy to fix hamburger helper, macaroni and cheese, etc. or grab a burger or pizza on the way home. With this diet, I can eat low-carb for 2 meals then indulge in some during the 3rd meal. I can even have dessert. I am really excited (and scared at the same time) because I really think I can do this kind of eating style.

Their website even says that I don't have to eat breakfast! I feel so much better when I don't (plus that's one less meal I have to plan). LOL I have even actually taken the time to plan out meals for the week and a grocery list. This afternoon I am going shopping and doing some stuff like bake a lot of bacon in my oven and wrap it in wax paper and freeze it so that I can make bacon in about a minute on any hectic morning that I feel the need to eat. I am using the computer to plan out a lot of menus of things that I like to eat and all of the ingredients. That way, I can edit and refer to it from week to week. Does anyone else have problems with carbs? Have any of you ever tried CAD and, if so, did it work? Thanks.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:12 PM   #2  

Height: 5'1"

Wink

Oh my.... are you sure that the book was referring to you? I think they were talking about me.... it sounds so like me. I will have to find this book and check it out. Where did you find it?

James and I decided to hold off on starting the Atkins plan until next month. He is in the process of trying to switch jobs, he will be driving a chip truck. (at least we're hoping he will be) right now he's working at Hynix. A semi-conductor plant. Work is easy he says but not worth the time if you're only making $9.50. People who've worked there for over two years are still making that!!!
Anyway, we've decided to at least cut down on the carbs and by next month, we'll be getting used to that. That is of coarse we even decide to go ahead with it. Cutting down may be just what we need.
I also told him to get our membership at the gym open. Right now it's on hold... we had so much going on during the summer rebuilding the house, that we felt that we were just throwing away the money if we weren't going!! I sooo want to be in shape by March!!

OK...I should be in the chit chat thread.... I will stroll on over there.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:45 PM   #3  

CAD was written about 10 years ago but they have new books out now. I got the original- $6 as opposed to $15-20. What can I say- I'm cheap! There have been just a few changes, but they talk about that on their website. You eat low carb for 2 meals (or on the site, they say you can skip breakfast, which is just fine by me). The other meal starts with 1 or 2 cups of low carb veggies then anything you want (even ice cream, cake, pizza, etc.) BUT you must have 1/3 protein, 1/3 low carb veggies, and 1/3 high carb food. It can't just be an all out twinkie pigfest. LOL There is no measuring, weighing, counting calories, -just dividing your food out and eating until you are full. Oh, and you must eat that Reward Meal within an hour to prevent an extra insulin release. That's it. I can eat macaroni and cheese and still diet. Woo Hoo! Sounds too good to be true but I am gonna give it a whirl tomorrow.

I am ready for battle! I have the refrigerator and pantry stuffed to the gills with low carb stuff and recipes ready. Wish me luck.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:41 PM   #4  

I totally am with you all on the sluggish carb loaded thing. Last week when I was eating crap I felt like it. Now I'm finding it difficult to get back into the swing of healthy eating because that sugar and white bread is calling my name! Naaaataaalllliiiiiieeeee?

I think in the midst of all this carb hating our good carbs have gotten a bad wrap. The key to balance is eliminating white flour and sugar. I switched to all whole grain food and non-processed foods and it's really made a difference. So don't be afraid of carbs all together. Sweet potatoes, whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta are all great to eat! They are processed differently by your body because they are complex carbs. They key is get as close to natural as you can.

Now I feel like crapola from eating all that processed sugary food. Ugh.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:10 PM   #5  

I am on Day 2 of CAD and I really felt draggy today. They say that happens for the first few days while your body adjusts to not having carbs to burn for quick energy. I ate my carbs for supper tonight and my brain feels clearer. I hope this passes. Maybe I am coming down with a cold. It's an easy diet though. I haven't had any problems with cravings. I know I can have anything I want at supper and that helps. See y'all.
Closed Thread