Old 09-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #64

Good evening! Gloomy but no rain. It is high 70’s low 80’s here today. I haven’t felt well today, tummy trouble, but did make a dozen yeast rolls for dinner, did a load of laundry, unloaded and reloaded dishwasher and did my nails. I am getting pretty decent at it, but hardly expert. The powder color was a pale blue but dame out a greenish gray, but oh well. I’ll keep them on a couple weeks then redo them. I haven’t found tip powder to be successful as fill ins besides you can’t change colors that way.

I discovered I have a proof button on my stove and boy does it make doing anything with yeast easy. I used frozen yeast balls to make them and man easy peasy. I sprayed a muffin pan, stuck 2 balls in each one, covered with a cloth, stuck in oven, hit proof, start and 2 hours later they were perfect to bake.

CeeJay: Sounds like nephew needs to face the hard stuff now. Your sister does him no favors by enabling him. It’s not easy for sure. My nephew was drug addicted and an alcoholic and did rehab and even hospital care but nothing really took. His mom passed away and a few months later he took his life. Broke my heart, but he was in his 50’s no kid for sure. It’s so sad when this happens. Enjoy your new car! We have back up cameras, one on roof and a set across bumper. They’re great, but because we have the lift on, the one goes off every time you out the car in reverse.

Jean: Jack likes the Stouffers chipped beef for breakfast. It took me 6 weeks and 3 stores to have them finally in stock. We use a ton of p towels. I had to buy Viva thus last time and I hate them. They cling to the roll and make it difficult to tear off. I’m sorry I think no trick or treating is ridiculous. They don’t want gatherings so no parties and kids need to have some fun. I’d let my kid go in a heart beat. It’s my opinion. After Jack getting a false reading and then having to delay his surgery because they wouldn’t accept a second test from another source this whole thing just irks me. You know, there’s a cruiseline that’s been cruising 3 weeks now and not a hint of the whole covid thing. They’re not going to report that.

Well baseball is on. Jack sits in his machine and I have to get his foot velcroed in so have to go.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Afternoon
We went to church this morning and the visiting minister/pastor gave a good sermon. Attendance was very slim. Went back to the house to check on the cats and get nephew some clothes. He will be staying with his mom in Branson. I'm through with the whole mess. We also went by the other nephew's house to pick up keys for the house. This nephew changed the locks on all the doors. I need to take care of nephew's cats which he hasn't done in awhile. They were hungry and litter box full. It was nasty.
This whole ordeal made me extremely nervous and I let sis see it. She always tells me it's not her that makes me this way but it is. In the mean time I've been eating my emotions and have gained back to my highest weight of 195. Ugh. I'm starting back on program tomorrow.
Still getting more used to my new car and am loving it.
----------------
gma
I like Stouffer's chipped beef but haven't in a long time. I may see if I can find it. I understand about the Viva paper
towels. Nephew has been in detox for the past three days and will get out in the morning. I pray it sticks this time.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:53 PM   #3  

Good evening! Beautiful day here today in the 80’s and sunny. We went at noon for Jack to get a haircut then went to lunch at Freddys. I know CeeJay knows Freddys as they have one in Branson. I had a hot dog and some of those skinny fries. It was nice to be out for while. Our restaurants here were booming when we drove by them.

We have rehab and a grocery pick up tomorrow afterwards. It’s my birthday tomorrow but because of the rehab and groceries we’re going to go out to dinner Tuesday. I haven’t been to my favorite Italian place for months, so we’re going there. Jack bought me a beautiful hand painted handbag for my birthday and my sister gave me a lovely necklace. My bff called to apologize that my gift won’t get here tomorrow, but I don’t care. She’s had deviated septum surgery than developed a weird inner ear infection that’s kept her at home. She hasn’t been able to work because of it.

CeeJay: Our kids finally went back to school and like I said, places are starting to go back to normal. I hope he’ll get on tge straight and narrow. I know this whole thing is such a drain on you. Chin up. You can get the weight back off.

Have a good evening.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #4  

Good morning. It’s spitting rain here this morning and definitely cooling down to fall temps. Jack’s in his machine at the moment listening to an audio book. I got meat out of freezer for dinner, put a few more rolls on to raise, and will get cleaned up in a bit as today is rehab day and afternoon grocery pick up.

I am coming along on the long vest. Had to rip out several rows when I changed colors. I started new color on right side instead of wrong, but that was a fairly quick fix. I am knitting the back right now and am almost up to the spot where I decrease for the sleeve holes. I get a lot done sitting in the dar waiting for Jack.

I sure hope going forward we can get back to some normalcy. It’s too bad there is always panic with this type of thing. I have always firmly believed they let this thing out of the lab on purpose in China to see what it’d do and it got away from them so to speak. Masks I’ll deal with. I just want to go forward having the option of doing things. I also want this whole election thing over with, but I think it’ll be the biggest mess ever.

Have a good week this week.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #5  

gma
I agree with you about this virus getting out of lab on purpose. Happy birthday. Yep I do know about Freddy's I like their burger's but not their fries.

----------
Went to church yesterday and out to eat. Then over to check on the cats at the house. I 'd take the cats but sis doesn't want animals in the house so that will not do. I've found a non kill shelter and will call them today but nephew wanted to talk to his ex before I do any thing with them.
I will be working in the yard this afternoon. I'm waiting for the grass to dry.
We got some much needed rain yesterday afternoon but probably not enough. The ground is really dry.
I still am enjoying watching the cows graze in the neighboring pasture. One of my simple pleasures.
The temperature this week will be more like Fall. High of 69 and low 49. Very good sleeping weather.
I'm back on my eating program and told myself no more emotional eating this week. I will also be cutting back on the Coke's. That's all I've been drinking lately and it's beginning to take it's toll on the digestive tract.

Hi Jean
Old 09-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! It's a windy, cool, and a cloudy/sunny day in my neighborhood. We had about 30 seconds of rain earlier this morning. There wasn't much to count at church, then the computer wouldn't cooperate and the internet was down. Of course that was 45 minutes before the secretary was supposed to get there. So I left my pile and a note saying to call me when it was fixed and I would come back. Got home and discovered I had left my phone there so went back. By the time I got there, internet was back up and it took me less than a half hour to post. Bob is hauling off the farm fields again today after having a flat tire on the semi yesterday. It has all new tires this fall so will be interesting to find out what made that happen.

“Gma,” Happy Birthday to you! I know you will enjoy your new handbag! I would like to try the powder nails sometime. I can do my left hand but the left doing the right doesn’t look so good. I can almost smell your rolls baking. Baking bread is one of my favorite smells and I would eat way too many. We don’t hear anything about our local virus count. We have three local testing sites: the college, the packing plants, and a “public” one at the golf course/water park location. The state as a whole is on the rise again; prediction is that nationwide will be worse than when it started. I hope not! We have been careful but probably not as careful as we could be. Your friend’s surgery sounds like hurt. Will is having surgery where they will take out and replace bones (vertebrae ?) in his neck/back. They will do it from the front which just doesn’t seem “right” to me but according to Beth, there is less muscle and tendons to cut through than on the back.

Ceejay, we are enjoying our new pastor’s sermons. Sometimes he is hard to understand and yesterday he finally took his mask off. I hope you can find a place for the cats. If your nephew can’t take care of himself, he sure can’t take care of them properly. I am a stress eater so know exactly what you are going through. I can’t remember for sure but it seemed like WW said it took six weeks for a behavior to become a habit. You can turn it around, I know you can! The car wash does not like all the sensors on my car and the noise to get in and out is crazy. I use my front camera a lot in parking lots with angled parking.

I have towels to get in the dryer and another load ready for the washer. Tomorrow is a soccer game and Friday is football . . . "on the road again!" Hope you have a great rest of the day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:00 AM   #7  

Good morning! Today is rehab day so we’ll be out the door around 12:30. He’s sitting in the machine right now. Poor man had an allergic reaction to something and we’re nit sure what. The palm of his right hand is red, itchy and swollen and his left foot on the heel area he says feels like a lump when he walks and it’s red too. He quit taking the iron the doctor prescribed last night to see if that might be it. Since it’s not all over his body it’s doubtful it’s external like laundry or body soap, something like that. He had something like this years ago and it was a medication allergy so that’s the route we’re taking. I gave him a Benadryl last night for the palm itching and he was able to sleep. We’ll just see what happens and I’ll take him to a minute clinic if he gets too uncomfortable with it.

CeeJay: Don’t beat yourself up over the weight gain. At our age, we have nothing to prove to anyone. Just relax and do what you need to do. Poor kitties. Do you think church attendance was covid fears, not having a permanent pastor, or just generally people tend to slack off going anymore?

Jean: Oh gosh, that sounds awful to have to have that done. Hope Will will be ok. They put out numbers, but not sure it is actually sick people but positive tests. Who knows? That’s weird about the tire. Unless they’re worn, they usually don’t do that on a semi. You have more gumption than I going back and forth to the church like that. That proof button makes it so easy to make yeast things. I just put the roll balls frozen in the pan, put it in the oven and in 2 hours they’re ready to bake. I think about years ago how nice that would have been for women who baked their own bread.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 09-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #8  

Morning
I'm getting an early start today. Lots to do.
I spent 6 hours at the nephew's place cleaning it up. And playing with the cats. Littlefoot is aggressive but Sarah like to be on your lap. It was really a nice day so I opened the windows. The cats really liked that too.
Today I'm going to weed eat and do some more decluttering and laundry. I took a garbage bag of winter clothes to a clothing drop box in Springfield. I have some more things at nephew's house that need to be disposed of before sis can put the house on the market.
I turned the heat on last night as the low temperature was in the low 40's.

gma
Thanks for the "do not fret" over the weight gain. Guess that has been instilled in me through all these years of dieting. I really just want to eat healthy, and exercise. I may go for a walk later this morning. Yes, I think the small crowd at church is due to COVID some go camping this time of year also. I hope you dh finds out what is going on with his hand and foot.

Jean
Hope your day goes as planned.

Have a great Fall day.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:36 PM   #9  

Good Morning! It's another sunny and windy day in my corner of the world. It was a warm 83 degrees at the soccer game yesterday and very, very windy; I overdressed for once. The game was closer to home and Zowie's team won 4-0 so that made it even better. Coming home the moon was huge and so bright. I was thinking a harvest moon back in the days when the guys would harvest long after dark. They don't do that any more and I'm glad. I'm home for the day and won't see Bob until much later because they will be moving machinery to another farm place this afternoon. Bob said the drivers aren't allowed out of the trucks or tractors at the elevators. He always liked to get out and visit with the guys working there. He said yesterday he got to see the groundhog who lives in a hole beneath/beside one of the buildings. One of the employees brought the groundhog some leftovers from his lunch, among which was green beans. The groundhog ate them first. Bob had lab work then a visit with his doctor who goes to our church. The doctor didn't leave his house for the first month when our numbers went sky high; now he won't go anywhere (church) where there is a group of people. Bob had to zoom with him six months ago and he is still adamant about how bad the virus is for anyone. His parting comment was that people carry the virus, have no symptoms, and never get tested but spread it as they go. He just has a fit that Bob goes to the office without a mask. Bob has explained more than once that he sees the same two people every day.

“Gma,” when Bob had the hives and itching, the allergy doctor told him to take otc Loratadine at the first sign of either. Every once in awhile he will get a hive on a finger and the med stops it right away. He never tested allergic to anything so it’s anybody’s guess. I can imagine how miserable Jack felt. The truck tire had a nail in it and was fixed pretty fast. Will had to jump through everything they try first then finally surgery would be the fix. It’s not until November 3rd. I would not have been a good pioneer to cook and clean all day only to do it all over again the next day. My mom had a wringer washer and I remember the first automatic washer we got. Also remember babysitting when the tv went off the air after the 10:00 news. Little did we know what life would be like in our later years.

Ceejay, I’m sure the cats enjoyed your company yesterday! Where will your nephew go when he gets out of rehab? You probably said and I forgot. I really think that concentrating on what to eat and what not to eat is so frustrating! I just try to eat fairly healthy with some junk added in for good measure. Our family of six ate out last night after the game. The restaurant features all kinds a 1/2# burgers, nothing smaller. Bob and I ordered nachos to share and it was just right for both of us. There is no way either one of us could do a 1/2#; afterwards I thought we could have ordered one and split it. No wonder people are getting heavier!

Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday, last day of September.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:51 PM   #10  

Spent another day at nephew's house cleaning and doing laundry. I'm about through with both chores.
The cats escaped out the back door when I opened it for reason's unknown-guess I'm a creature of habit.
They spent most of the afternoon under the deck. One of the cats came to the window that was opened and meowed. and right before I came home the other did the same thing. Littlefoot is getting to be aggressive with Sarah. I may spend the night over there until I can surrender them to a shelter. I checked with the one where I thought I could take them but she said they didn't accept walk in cats. I may end up having to call animal control.
I didn't realize it but on the way home the temperature tonight is supposed to drop to 37 degree's. Brrrrrrr.
Hopefully that means I'm through mowing. We still need to mow at the other house. I still need to weed eat.
I'm not sure which of you asked about where nephew will stay. He's at his mom's in Branson right now.
He only went for detox not rehab. Rehab seems to be a waste of money for him and more like a glorified vacation. He can brown nose and sweet talk any one to do any thing he wants.
I'm getting hungry. I had a Jimmy Dean breakfast bowl this morning and a Stouffers chicken fried steak and potatoes for lunch- Tonight I'm going with a salad. I've started taking Nexium for my stomach and it's already feeling better.
Hope you two have a good evening.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #11  

Good Morning! Sunny, breezy, and finally warming up a tiny bit, it was 34 degrees when I came downstairs this morning. Bob covered flowers last night and will again tonight. I've been to the vet to get more insulin to the tune of $68 plus some odd cents. Stopped by the library to leave two books I brought home and didn't like, then picked three more James Patterson books. Finally hit the grocery store mainly to get a pumpkin for my squirrels. I saw pictures on FB of several eating pumpkins.

Ceejay, I’m glad the cats came back inside! I hope you find some place that will take them and find a good home for them together. Glad your stomach is feeling better. It sounds like fall weather has arrived for you too. I remember some pretty warm Octobers so I am not ready for it to turn cold so fast.

Now I am home until it's time to head for the football game. There will be food trucks so will eat something there. Hope you have a fantastic Friday!
Old 10-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #12  

Jean
It was 39 degree's when I got up this morning. I turned the heat on late yesterday afternoon and I slept really good.
I have never been one for outside games in the Fall or Winter months. It's too cold for me. Even when I was younger.
---
Not much going on today. Sis is upset with nephew but who wouldn't be.
The bills are still in my name at the house. Nephew was paying me but hasn't as yet for September. Sis had me to call and cancel the internet service. I did that.
We had a very light frost this morning. I still need to weed eat so I'm doing that as soon as I get through here. Hopefully this will be the last time to mow.
Put a crockpot of chicken stew on to cook. Wanted something Fallish for dinner tonight unless sis has other plans.
Best get to the outside chore for today.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:23 PM   #13  

Good evening ladies. It was sunny low 70’s here today. It’s been a little nuts the last couple days. Jack spent last night in the hospital. His original allergy reaction went away and the next night his other hand ballooned up and his tongue swelled so bad he had trouble swallowing and talking. Off to the ER we went and they kept him overnight. He is fine now, but we have no clue what caused such a violent reaction. On top of that, the dr basically checked him out around 11 AM this morning but the nurses sat on it until around 3:30. Jack blew his stack when he found out after calling for the nurse 3 times. He told his nurse he was tearing off the heart leads, getting dressed and she better print his discharge papers because he was leaving! She got off her butt then and cane rushing in and took his IV out. She tried to tell him they were busy with critical patients like he wasn’t important, yet she was sitting on her behind at the desk! My sil, who’s been a nurse 40 yrs, said she guarantees they were screwing around not overly busy. We tried to be reasonable, but the dr had released him to go home in the morning and he might still be sitting there if he hadn’t gotten mad about it.

CeeJay: I take Nexium, but I also take licorice root. I get it at Amazon. It helps a lot. Gosh I’m sorry you’re still dealing with the whole nephew thing. It has to be frustrating. We picked up Chinese on the way home from the hospital. Jack only ate the dessert from the hospital lunch and all they gave him for breakfast was a scrambled egg I guess drs orders. So, he was starved. He likes the fried rice, egg roll and pepper steak dinner so he got that and ate it all. He keeps falling asleep in his recliner watching college football.

Jean: I gave him Claritin, which is the brand name of loratadine, which only helped with the right hand itching not the awful swelling. They gave him steroids and an epipen just in case, but Walgreens didn’t have the one he wanted Jack to have and Tricare doesn’t allow it anyway. So, they were gonna call the dr and see about another brand. How well dies the cat do with insulin shots? Have you read the NYPD Red series or the Private series? The Women’s Murder Club series is good too.

Well, gonna get things done to go to bed early. I stayed up until almost midnight abd git up early this AM so I’m pooped.

Old 10-03-2020, 11:12 PM   #14  

Default weight loss links

Hello everyone new to this forum, very happy I found this thread. I read some of the post and everyone seems to be very friendly. love to chat and get to know some of you for support on my weight loss journey!!!!
tarapresti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:16 AM   #15  

Morning
Not going to church today. I was supposed to be in Branson but chose not to go since sis seemed to be in a tiff with nephew. I don't like confrontation. It's not good for my health.
I got to see the kiddo's yesterday. The boys came with their dad to eat lunch with their dad and nana and me after a soccer game. Their mom had the baby girl with her but brought her a bit later to visit. She's getting to be a chunk. She didn't recognize me with my mask on but when I took it off she was all smiles.
The organist at church called me yesterday and asked me when she could come and get my organ. I told her I'd get back with her. I think sis wants to move it to the church building and not let anyone inside the house.. We fit it in the other vehicle so it should go inside the new one.. So that will be leaving soon. When sis is ready to put that house on the market I will finish discarding the rest of the furniture. I will be calling 1800gotjunk to haul it off. I know it will not be free , but it's the most simple solution. The furniture is more than 20 years old and time to be discarded.

---------------------------
gma
I don't blame your dh for getting upset with the hospital staff.. As far as licorice root goes, I've never cared for the taste of licorice.

tarapresti
Hi Welcome to our small group.