Old 06-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias — #24

Good Morning! Another 63 degree, rainy morning, but NO wind so far. We had 1.63” of rain in the last 24 hours plus the multiple inches in the days before! I need to have a chat with the rain God! My flower pots have standing water in them and most of the flowers are hanging over the sides. We made a quick trip to SAMs Club yesterday then met Beth and family for supper. She had my grandmother’s china and really didn’t want it taking up space any longer, plus it can’t go in the dishwasher. I’m going to see if the same bed and breakfast gal, who took my mother’s set, might want it. Otherwise, our church has a china luncheon in the fall and I may take it with a “free to a good home” note some time when no one is around to see me. Different gals set up theme tables with china and sell tickets, which I have no desire to do. I am waiting for the bathtub guy to show up and measure so we can get this project going. I have to go to the grocery store after he finishes.

“Gma,” it sounds like we are having the same kind of gloomy wet weather. The rain can quit any time! I never heard the word macerated! I used to watch the food network more often than I do now. We were sold to another cable company with all different channel numbers. I know the three networks and the college sports channel, otherwise I either scroll to search or dig out the number guide which doesn’t spell out the name of the subject channel. We have to take old TVs, computers, etc., to the landfill. I think they charge $10 a piece for smaller items. Our city council is trying to decide and mandate a garbage policy. There is a major problem of “you know who” dumping in commercial dumpsters downtown. Right now they want to make everyone use the same size garbage cans instead of the garbage bags, and add the charge to our water bill. I personally don’t want to have to haul a can around if Bob is gone. I have a good friend who uses a cane. Her driveway is quite steep and there is no way she can manage a garbage can. I told her to give it a shove from the top of her driveway. We already have people who leave their garbage cans in front of their house which looks tacky imo. Then we have the “you know whos” that pile a blocks worth of bags on a corner so no one knows who the bags belong to. The main complaint is WM and grocery bags littering the town because people don’t use cans nor the big garbage bags. We’ve already had major fireworks going off after being banned from last summer’s fiasco. I know what your mental picture of a tractor seat must be. His is a thick padded seat and back cushion, arm rests, and with a spring system like long haul truckers have in their semi seats. His steering wheel also tilts so he can stand up if he wants to. He’s thinking this ride will be 50-60 miles long. I just hope the weather shapes up!

I have a water logged robin looking for the cat food bowl I brought in when it started to rain again. He will fly away when I open the door but will come right back. Smart bird! Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday - first day of spring!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:58 AM   #2  

Good Morning! The sun is shining and it looks like it is going to be a nice day! The bathtub guy came yesterday and was here maybe 15 minutes. No problem he was aware of so materials are ordered and hopefully will be installed in August. I just want it done! I need to do some serious cleaning as dusting and vacuuming at least. I can see better with sunshine!

Hope you all enjoy a fantastic Friday and enjoy!
Old 06-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 289/289/145

Height: 5'5"

Good morning from Washington, D.C. Cool and rainy Friday here! I am new to all of this. Hope it is ok to jump in to this group.

Elaine
PERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:41 PM   #4  

Talking

Elaine! We are a very small group, but mighty! We are glad to have you join us! I live in rural Iowa where we have had a lot of rain in the last few days. The sun has been playing hide ‘n seek this morning. I visited Washington, D.C., many years ago as a child. It is on my bucket list to visit again. Come back soon!

Old 06-23-2018, 07:16 AM   #5  

Good Morning! I am up earlier than usual this morning because Bob left for his tractor ride at 5:30. I was the nice wife and fixed coffee plus microwaved his Jimmy Dean sausage/egg/cheese biscuit for him while he was getting ready. I most likely won’t see him until around supper time as he will take the tractor and trailer back to the farm before coming home. One of the small towns on his route, to get to the start location, has carnival rides set up on their Main Street (a big challenge for the guys pulling tractors on trailers), then the town where they are to eat lunch has flooding from the recent rains. We drive through there on our way to ball games and the flooding isn’t close to the downtown area but over the bridge on the far side of town. I have laundry to do and am determined to get my Good Will pile ready to leave the house. I also need to line up and check my July (yikes!) church birthday cards. I don’t address them too far in advance just because everyone is 80+ years old!
I need to shower and get my day chores going. Ernie is sitting here watching me like “why are we up so early? I hope you all enjoy a super duper Saturday and Sunday!
Old 06-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #6  

Good morning! Looks like the sisters did a big update to the website. I noticedJean gets to be the big Kahuna for this thread as it says “thread starter.”

Today is downstairs housecleaning day. I have to get it done this weekend as I have stuff to do next week. Since Jack is home, I rarely get anything done, but it is a must today. He’s going to smoke ribs tomorrow so that will keep him busy.

I have been having a ball buying clothes for my best friend. Ever since we surprised her with the cruise, I’ve been starting cruise clothes buying. I thought buying clothes for plus people was hard. She is tiny and buying size 4’s can be difficult. She’s always been a beige, black, etc person and her best friend is bringing her into the color and print age. I bought her a darling sky blue polka dot cocktail dress for formal night and a gorgeous long one that is yellow, black and white with large flowers. She is going to look wonderful. I did stick to mostly solid tops, but nice bright colors like puples and greens, etc. I bought her cute patterned skorts, which she’s never worn and two super cute skirted swimsuits, one in coral and one in an aqua pattern with tropical flowers. Anyway, I have had a blast doing it. I can now freely talk to her about it since she knows and we spent two hours on the phone with her asking me questions. Fun, fun!

Jack went to get us some breakfast as I want to get going on the house. Chicken. egg and cheese bagel from Chick fil a, yum.

Jean: I guess I was thinking he had an antique tractor with those old style metal seats with no backs. Hey, what do I know about farm stuff. My friends in Indiana are grousing about the huge amount of rain they are getting. They keep predicting rain here, but except for the heavy shower that lasted about half an hour, we haven’t gotten any more. Can you believe we are almost into July already? We are going the first week in August to Kansas and I can’t wait. We haven’t seen our cruise friends in several years and we are anxious to connect back up with them. Since Jack is on the HOA board now I told him I want him to put the screws to the board about that neighbor that is living in filth. They were out racing there until after 10:30 last night. Calling the cops doesn’t help they never show up. Took them way over an hour when that guy threatened Jack a few weeks ago. Guess that’s what you get with city living.

*Spoke too soon. Storm moved in and it’s a whopper. Thunder, lightening, heavy rain and really strong winds. Thank goodness Jack’s back home.

Elaine: Welcome and please consider us your new thread. Like Jean said we now have become mighty small, but are good friends after all these years. We tend to just gab and pretty much weight loss stuff has become non existent but we are glad to have you. My husband is retired Navy and we lived in Va Beach a couple times so have been to your part of the country. We took a trip to DC early in our marriage in July and I was hugely pregnant. Climbed up the Lincoln Memorial and then couldn’t get back down. Dumb! We live in Memphis, TN and have for about 17 yrs. I am originally from Northwest Indiana and my husband is from southern New Mexico. I have two children, a boy and a girl, and two grandsons, one from each. Jackson is 11 and Thomas will be 18 on Monday. You’ll have to tell us all about yourself.

Well, looks like it may be quieting down and we didn’t lose power so guess I better get to it. Have a great weekend!
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:11 PM   #7  

Good Morning! The sun is shining really bright today and I can tell the humidity is on the rise. I have the suitcase full of clothes and ready to haul to Good Will. There were lots of jackets with skirts and slacks; I can tell I have shrunk because the jacket sleeves hung way beyond my wrists! I wore these outfits to school or church but that’s been 9/10 years ago now. Time flies for sure!

”Gma,” I hope you have a sunny day. The sun sure helps my attitude! Bob’s tractor is an antique, 1966 model, and refurbished with correct paint and parts (except for the seat). The Oliver has not been manufactured for many years and the plant in my hometown was torn down 25+ years ago. We went back for a tractor parade and then the tractors were on display where the plant had been. The locals were going around and pointing to where their work machine had been, some of the bolts (?) were still embedded in the cement. There was one other Oliver tractor on the ride and in visiting with the driver, Bob’s dad sold the tractor to the guy’s dad. Bob would love to get a hold of a tractor or piece of machinery his dad sold. It’s awfully nice of you to buy clothes for your friend. I don’t think there was a size 4 when I was growing up! If your crummy neighbors think you are the one complaining, they might get even worse. Some people just have no manners! There is a class for immigrant kids, this summer, teaching them about food choices, proper manners, etc. The picture showed the teacher holding a knife correctly and ready to cut meat on the dinner plate. The caption said a knife is to be held like a pencil. That is something I didn’t know and don’t do; I put the knife between my thumb and index finger with the rest of my fingers around the handle. My “thing” is holding the fork or spoon like a shovel! That and putting the toilet seat down are the two things my kids grew up with and now their kids are doing the same!

I have laundry in the washer and it should be done by now. That maybe the extent of my “work” efforts for today. Leftover ham loaf, fresh green beans, and lettuce salad for lunch! Hope you all enjoy a nice day!
Old 06-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all. It is overcast but not raining right now. We had a hard storm yesterday and Jack went to the store and got caught walking to the car. He said he was soaked in about 3 seconds. We stayed in the rest of the day. I am not going out today as I want to finish the downstairs. I had a real problem with my arthritis in my shoulders and arms and couldn't even raise them up very far. I took some anti inflammatory and sat with heating pads and Icy Hot all day long. They are still bothering me, but not like yesterday. I hurt all day long.

I have nails tomorrow, hair on Wednesday and waxing on Thursday so won't get back to house stuff until Friday and I will get the upstairs done then I guess. The lady that owns the salon does my hair now and last time suggested we do something different. She wants to do a base of red, then copper and the tips a golden color. I told her have at it. I am all for different as long as it remains age appropriate. If Cindy Lauper as 65 can have pink hair, guess I can be a little wild.

I am kind of excited to hear what my girlfriend thinks of the surprise coming today to her house. The blue polka dot dress I bought for her needs a bit of altering in the chest area, but I saw on Amazon a gal who posted a picture of the exact dress and she worn a crinoline underneath it and it looks so cute. I bought this beautiful blue crinoline to put under it to make it nice and full but I didn't tell her what I was shipping just a surprise. I did screw up and accidently shipped her dress sandals to myself so they should be delivered to me today and I will just put them in the mail when I am out and about this week. So far everything I have sent her she loves and it fits. I am hoping for the best with the shorts, skorts and capris. She has a larger waist and no butt so I went with fitting it in the waist. Again, we will pay for any altering that needs to be done, but they may fit fine. They should be there tomorrow.

Jean: When we did this, we told her we were paying for everything so that includes her clothes. I wanted her to have the whole experience. This cruise even we get to go somewhere we haven't been. One of the ports of call is St Kitts and we have never been there. We still have many months to go, 18 to be exact, but it will come. Gives us lots of time to get everything done for her that needs to be done. Bob tractor looks great. My niece sent me pictures of my nephew's memorial and they did such a nice thing. They had a table set up with his pictures and things he loved. He was a brick layer so they had a level and he loved to fish and bbq so they had a fishing pole, etc. It was really nice. I sent azaleas because I thought my niece could plant them at her new house. I don't imagine they would know who complained as we have never said anything to them, they don't know Jack is on the board, and they have a former board member who is a real crotchety old lady that lives next door to them so I imagine she would be the complainer. The board meeting is tonight and I am hoping Jack can convince them to send a letter to whoever owns the condo as I think they are renters. It is disgusting down there. There is trash everywhere and their garage is filthy and disgusting. Ripe for rodents and bugs for sure. I hold my knife like you do and my fork is I am cutting meat between thumb and two forefingers. Jack knows not to leave the seat up ever. It is a pet peeve of mine. I also have him trained not to leave lights on when he walks out of a room and not to leave shoes, etc all over the place. We have a dual hook right next to the back door where his keys go and that way he doesn't lose them. He is bad about taking off his glasses and leaving them places though. He needs to go to the eye doctor again so I am hoping his cataracts are bad enough to finally have surgery as he takes his glasses off all the time.

Well, off to get work done. Have a great day!!
Old 06-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #9  

Happy Monday! It is raining in my corner of the world right now AND we don’t need any more rain! An oil tanker train derailed several miles northwest of us dumping oil into a river, there is flooding up around the lakes area where “our” cabin is located (can’t help but wonder if it as bad as when the cabin was surrounded by water several years ago; Bob’s mom left in a canoe!), roads and bridges are closed, and many farm fields are under water. Not good! I could have made ice cubes in the church office this morning it was so cold. I was glad there wasn’t much to count so it didn’t take long. I stopped by the hospital to leave a check and came home to make a grocery list, which I should have done yesterday and didn’t. After lunch I headed to the grocery store, have put everything away, and now “what’s for supper?”

”Gma,” this font seems awfully small to me, and I don’t see where there is an option to change it. You have a busy week planned! Your neighbor sounds like what our town is becoming. There are ordinances on the books but no one enforces them. Most are visible like cars and trailers parked on grass, yard clippings in the streets, junk piled up in driveways, yards, etc. The local police are oblivious as they drive around town! There is a place on FB, “You might be from Storm Lake . . .” and today someone wrote about visiting here then driving by their old home which is now run down as well as the neighborhood. Several comments as well as one from my #1 son! Our diversity is so wonderful says those eating free breakfast and lunch at our church! They will be lining up for free school bags and supplies come August. The paper had an article about the locals getting nervous about their status in the U.S. even though they have the temporary papers. Bob is pretty good about keeping track of his stuff. He carries a small pocket knife and thought he lost it when we went to the evening tractor/car get together a month ago. He wore shorts with pockets that weren’t as deep as others and he even called the host to check the yard where he sat most of the evening. I just found it down in a chair cushion where Ernie likes to sleep. Bob doesn’t sit there very often and told the hostess I finally got around to cleaning!

I have towels in the dryer to fold and put away so better it done. Hope you all are having a good day!
Old 06-26-2018, 08:36 AM   #10  

Good morning all. Sunny and hot today. It was pretty miserable according to Jack. Going to just wait out my nails until next Monday as they are too busy on the weekends and this is grocery weekend anyway. I still have housework that needs doing.

I finish here I have to get my meds made for the week. I don’t know why I hate doing that so much but I do. Maybe because it’s like busy work, who knows.

Jack had the board meeting last night, but not much new. They did raise the fees to $200 starting in Sept., but that’s a drop in the bucket as to what is needed. Our gutter on the garage is rusted through, but when Jack told the manager last night he said they have condos where the siding has become so bad and the soffits rotting, rain is coming into homes. On top of that, they haven’t finished roofing all the condos because they ran out of money and that sewage problem we had that cost thousands, has cropped up three more places in the complex. They finally enforced parking in front of garages and Jack said they towed the truck across the street that made it hard for us to back out after he was warned twice. Costs $160 to get your car back. Seems his truck has been noticible absent since then. I am hoping his landlord can toss him soon. They are squatting as they filed bankruptcy a day before their eviction notice was up. His landlord is a board member and owns the condos on both sides of us, so he talks to Jack. At least now when we have a problem with either one we know how to get ahold of the owner when we can’t reach the tenants. Sometimes I wish we’d just stayed in rental property. I imagine we’ll end up replacing the gutter ourselves.

Jean: If you lose something in our recliners they’re gone forever. Hopefully the board can start enforcing stuff and giving out fines as they are revamping the condo rules. Biggest one is not leaving trashcans out all the time. They leave them out and then cats and such get into them. Sounds like you have a real mess up your way. I think we’re in for the opposite, which won’t be great for farmers either. I see fruit and veg prices going through the roof again. Do you have any idea why the hispanics are so heavy in your part of the world? It’s kind of unusual place as they seem to like bigger cities. The people that are not baby boomers but are adults seem to have no decency. When we were growing up you didn’t see garbage all over the place and filth like there is nowadays. They don’t care and think somebody else should take care of it and them. I am so sick and tired of hearing the stuff certain groups seem to think is their right to do to other people. Criminy, when I was a kid you could go into a restaurant barefooted and now if you’re not politically aligned with the owner they kick you out??? I saw an article the other day where a sports announcer I think it was in Oklahoma City got fired for saying “cotton pickin’” on air. Good grief. You can say the “f” word and every other filthy thing, but an old expression offends people. I told someone off on FB because Jack chopped cotton in high school. I said he was white. It’s just become a sad place to exist anymore.

Well better get the day going. Have a good one.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:17 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon! We got up to more rain this morning. Beth cancelled her plans to go fishing with Bob today. Instead of my monthly coffee date, my friend and I met for a late lunch date. Three hours later I am home again! The sun has come out and the streets are dry once again. I cleared up the clutter pile before I left this morning so I am calling that my good deed for the day!

“Gma,” can you get 90 days of your meds at one time? I fill our pill containers for a month at a time. It sounds like maybe your board is making some progress and trying to improve the looks of your condos. I hope they can enforce the fees. We have lots of packing plants (we have two - turkeys and pork) in Iowa as well as FREE everything from food to temporary housing to medical care. Once here it is cheaper living because multiple families pile into one house even though they are labeled one family dwellings. They get food stamps which has no requirements as to what they can buy. The ones who come to our church for free food supplied by the hospital, college, our congregation generosity, and restaurants’ left overs all have smart phones and many drive newer cars and pickups. Locally we have transplants from California and Texas because they already have relatives here. At one time the local pork plant was advertising in Texas (snowbirds took pictures and sent them home) for a free bus ride here, and free motel room for two weeks. The locals raised cain so they stopped but the damage was done. I can be offended, but it doesn’t make any difference! Now I will get off my soapbox!

Bob is home and peeking in the refrigerator! I guess he is ready for food of some sort. Hope you all are enjoying a nice day!
Old 06-27-2018, 06:11 AM   #12  

Good morning everyone. We are going to broil again today with no rain in sight, though that usually just makes it more humid. The website was acting crazy this morning and took me 4 times to get the post going. It kept dumping the posting area.

I have a hair appointment this morning, thank goodness. It is driving me crazy. We shall see what it looks like after she does what she wants to. Her salon was voted number one in the city and she has earned it. Everyone of her stylists are top notch with a lot of advanced training. Of course you pay for that privilege. My cut and color and tip cost $175. It’s why I only go every 8-9 weeks.

I see Jack is actually getting a full paycheck this week. Been awhile. They pay “hazard” pay a big $7 a day, but any day you aren’t there they take it away. For example, sick time, vacation days, any holidays, etc. So usually he loses at least one day since he has holidays every month except August and Oct and has taken sick time for his tooth repair, which still isn’t finished. You have to change the password for the city website every 120 days so that always keeps me hopping thinking up new ones.

I started working on a menu and grocery list for this weekend. It is tough trying to find stuff that doesn’t heat up the kitchen and that Jack will eat. He won’t eat anything with mayo so that chucks out things like chicken or tuna salads, etc. It was so hot yesterday I had him pick up dinner at Olive Garden last night.

Jean: I see. Well, now I understand. We were blessedly quiet last night with those bozos not revving and racing until around 11. Jack was sound asleep and I was dozing off when the neighbors motion flood lights came on and so did a car alarm. It took forever for someone to turn it off. Both of them are security guards and they work weird hours so you’ll often see the lights come on at 3 AM or whatever. The condos have motion flood lights above the garage side door and their are particularly bright. They have them positioned where they shine on their and our property. Does Bob just go fishing there in Storm Lake when the kids come to fish with him? Jack never has fished. I used to go with my dad when I was realky young, but never since then. I couldn’t be away from a bathroom that long with my issues anyway. I wouldn’t know what to do with a fish if he did. I’d mangle it like I do peeling potatoes I figure. Sounds like you had a nice visit with your friend. Vicki and I usually talk about 2-3 hours every couple weeks or so. Now it’s usually about cruise questions.

Well, Jack is downstairs now so I’d better go. Have a good day.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:39 PM   #13  

Good Evening! Another strange weather day of clouds and sunshine up NO rain. This morning was my day to work in the gift shop and I was fairly busy which made the time go faster. After lunch we decided to drive up north and check the water level by the cabin. We drove through two towns on the way, and have never seen the water so high in either place. Lots of flooded farm fields on the way. The area around the cabin is still dry but the water is hitting the bottom of some of the docks. If they get more rain they will be in trouble. Bob also said if a strong wind comes up the docks will look like toothpicks. On the way home we stopped at a furniture store and I bought a new rocker. When Bob moved the car he came back inside and said the four boxes of china were still in there. The salesman commented his wife sets up china display tables for the fair which is supposed to be the largest county fair in the U.S. I offered the dishes to him and he said no, she already had more than enough! As he was loading the chair I said, “last chance to win big brownie points with your wife!” He took the china! Now we need to find our where her display will be so we can go see it this fall. The orphan mother cat, and her two kittens, have been on the deck most of the day. She’s been sleeping which is unusual for her, I hope she’s not sick, just tired of being the mom.

“Gma,” I hope you like your new hair color. I pay $18 for a haircut and $57 for a perm, both are pretty much what everyone in town charges. Supposedly the packing plants pay so little the white men won’t work there. I couldn’t work there no matter what they pay. Bob’s favorite place to fish is Canada. He fished in Minnesota the summers we went there. He would fish up at the cabin, boat or dock, either one. I will fish if someone else puts the worm/minnow in the hook and takes the fish off.

​ I am off to read in bed! Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow! June is winding down.

Last edited by Jean; 06-27-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:42 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! We’ve had clouds, sunshine, rain drops, and more humidity today! Crazy weather continues! I went for a pedicure and to have my nails filled this morning. They open at 9 and I am always there first waiting for them to open. The last couple times the owner and wife straggled in an hour later after another gal opened. She is my favorite gal for a pedicure because I have icky (imo) toenails, and she does ok on my fingernails so I call the day before for an appointment, otherwise it is walk-ins. When I got there before nine this morning there were four cars there and my gal was working on someone else. I said to the owner that I had called for an appointment and my gal moved right over to me. I’d never seen any of the others there before so not sure if they are local people or not. We took my old rocker to a mentally challenged facility where the clients are in supervised apartments. Then I made a WM stop and Bob cooked lunch at a local restaurant. Ian was supposed to have a game tonight but it was cancelled because his team didn’t have enough players. I can’t help but wonder if the kids are getting discouraged at losing. The game was an hour further north than usual so we hadn’t planned to go.

I need to unload the dishwasher and think about something for supper. Enjoy a nice evening!
Old 06-29-2018, 08:32 AM   #15  

Good morning! We got some rain overnight, but the clouds have moved out and it’s blue skies now. The heat is pretty fierce though. Just have to deal with it. I told Jack I feel for the old folks living in those old houses with no AC. The city usually has places open to accomodate those without AC and MLGW does try and get window units to elderly, but then they don’t turn them on because of the expense of running them. It’s a no win and sadly, they always find a couple of folks that have passed away due to these types of extreme heat. Heat index was 101 yesterday. I went out at 1 pm to my waxing appointment and my car temp was 96.

Today just staying in, doing housework and laundering some tops and capris I bought. I wanted a couple denim style and they had buy one item get 9ne free so I bought 3 new tops and 3 prs of capris. Saved about $160. They are such lightweight material so they’ll be nice and cool. Now the only hot thing will be my “fire” hair.

Jean: I imagine it’s tough on kids that age to lose constantly. I mean, I get irked when the Cubs lose several in a row and I don’t even play. I am not sure I’d want to work at any meat processing place. I guess you do what you have to do. I mean Jack works as an electronic technician at a waste water plant. Not his idea of the greatest job, but it pays extremely well, gives him a lifetime pension, and most of the time the work isn’t difficult. He says the hardest part of the job is usually getting to the places to fix something, ie, climbing four flights of stairs in this heat, or rowing out in a flat bottom boat in a lake of sewage to fix the electronics on a pump out there. His mantra is, “It pays for our cruises.”

Well I guess I should go. Ya’ll get back in here and post. Jean and I get lonely!!