Old 01-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #100

Good Afternoon! I could tell it was a bit lighter when I drove in to church at 7:20 this morning! It has warmed up to 12 degrees and the sun is shining! Church was cold this morning; common sense (?) would be to turn up the furnaces after several days of below 0 temperatures. I made more coffee and have read the paper since being home. This afternoon I need to pick up the clutter piles I made yesterday cleaning out another drawer and cupboard.

"Gma," I just assumed that Verizon would carry batteries for the phones they sell/sold. I personally think this guy (manager) is good at passing the buck! He indicated Samsung no longer makes this phone and thought batteries wouldn't be available either. He told me to check on Ebay; I don't think so! I'd probably end up with a car battery! The phones are through Bob's business and due for updates. I just didn't want to have to learn a new phone before we went to California. There is another Verizon store in town and we are going there tomorrow. FYI, Beth bought a refrigerator from either Lowe's or Home Depot, and when it needed to be serviced, there was none available through the store. She ended up calling another appliance store; they did come but were going to charge her big time. It turned out it was a bad computer panel and would cost more to replace than to buy new, which she did and from the appliance store. I notice Sears and Penneys are both closing more stores. Sad sign of the times.

Bob just asked, "what's for lunch?" Guess that is my clue to get something going. Hope you all enjoy a day full of sunshine!

Last edited by Jean; 01-11-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:54 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Nice day in Sunday afternoon

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JANUARY MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

We went out to eat after church services with a nice couple and sat a long time after we finished eating to yack. He is a pumping well inspector from Texas and will be here a couple more months. We will make arrangements to visit them when we leave here.

Not much out of the ordinary going on here this day. I got some new plastic see through boxes with locking lids to put some more things in to go in the basement of the MH. However most of them will probably be stored in that room we have in our friends house in Texas but some go in the MH with things we will need while on the road.

JEAN Thanks for starting a new thread. With the economy iffy there will probably be more big stores closing. Being that the oil prices are down that will put a lot of guys out of work also.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up

Last edited by Maggie; 01-15-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #3  

Good evening, ladies It's finally warmed up to the 30s.

I'm glad to report I'm still among the living for I don't think I have ever been so sick or taken so long to recover. I'm still coughing. I never got short of breath or a fever, just broncritis that wouldn't stop. Ut;s beeb 3 weeks and I'm still wobbly on my feet. I lost 14 pounds in that time - doc says I need to gain at leat 10 back.

I'll have to take some time to read all your posts and then write more.

Have a wonderful evening!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #4  

Good morning ladies! We have had rain most of the night but the temps have stayed up so it isn't slick. The temps are going to drop today though so I hope it is windy enough to dry out roads and such as I have another dr apt tomorrow. Luckily, Jack is going to go with me.

We made our wallets significantly lighter over the weekend but nothing we bought was not planned in the budget except the stove. So we bought new back and front storm/screen doors which they should call about installation today and I am hoping they will do it a week from today as Jack has the day off next Monday and Tuesday. We bought a beautiful stove that we saved $200 on. It is stainless and has 5 burners instead of 4 and they are much bigger than my current burners. My old stove has a lot of unused space in the middle of the cooktop. It also is a convection oven and has both steam and regular oven cleaning. We wanted to wait until at least next year, but between the one element going out and the sensor for the auto cleaning on the oven we decided to get the deal and we got free delivery and haul away too and for some reason a reduction on our sales tax. We also bought a good quality paint sprayer so we can start painting the downstairs soon. Jack went and got new windshield wipers and Auto Zone installed them for free. So guess I am going to be busy for the next couple weeks.

Kelly is having major surgery on her knee tomorrow so keep her in your prayers. She broke the kneecap and has to have ligaments and stuff replaced. She will be out of work 2-3 weeks and a long rehab too. I am taking them dinner on Friday and then next Thursday and am taking Thomas to his dentist apt a week from tomorrow. I told her I could take her to rehab appts if she needed me too also so I will be busy considering I have to stick more surgeon appts in there every week until the fluid build up thing gets stabilized.

Weigh day was this morning and last week was over the top. I lost 10.5 lbs!!! I am doing two weeks of the boost then going back to regular pts. The boost isn't radical but it does reduce your pts. Jack lost 4 lbs this last week so we are on our way.

I am starting a new knitting project. I tore out the sweater I had started because I really didn't like it. I am making a lovely sweater in purple. I am stymied though because my first patterned row is not coming out right and I have gone stitch by stitch 4 times to see where I goofed and I haven't. So, have to work on that before I can go forward.

The kids are supposed to come down the first weekend in February to see Kelly and I think we are going to take Jackson to Incredible Pizza Company on the Sunday they are here. I doubt Thomas wants to go, but we will invite him of course. He is getting too old for most of the stuff pretty much.

Susan: I hope you will continue to improve and get better and your weather will start warming up soon to help also. How many times do you get to post on a weight loss thread and you have to gain weight? All kidding aside though we were very worried about you and are glad you are starting to get better.

Maggie: One of the companies here in the area that makes pipes for oil laid off 40 employees with rumors of more coming. They said with oil prices dropping the need for new pipes is just not there. We don't have any JC Penneys here that are closing, one of the stores up by Jay is closing I know. We are getting our racks next month and I can't wait. I then can finally get things put away and organized. Drives me nuts to have a mess, but I just have to be patient.

Jean: That's the way it was with the stove. Cost almost as much for them to fix it as buy new and since we were going to eventually put stainless in the kitchen and they had a sale going on we jumped on it. It will be nice to have bigger burners and we have a couple that are called quick boil, which supposedly mean the water heats up faster. We shall see. You are having a heat wave. I know Amazon sells the phone batteries.

Well girls, I haven't eaten yet so need to get on that and get my work done upstairs before the delivery guys come. Have a great day. faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon! It's a cold windy day in my corner of the world, but the sun is shining! The weatherman promised that warmer weather is on the way. Ha ha ha! Church counting went fast but my part was a snafu from the get-go. Today was auto bank pay which adds another list of givers to the weekly regulars. If I can enter their account number, the name pops into place and I just have to enter the amount. Today none of those numbers worked. So I had to type each name separately, pick the paper up to double check the amount, put the paper down, type, and move on to the next name. Then some of the envelope numbers didn't match the name on the envelope. I was just a little mad, no I said that wrong, I was a lot mad! The wind is wicked today and I needed bread and milk from the store. The parking lot is wide open to the wind and carts were rolling across the lot. Stopped to pick up the gift shop money and on home. I am home to stay! Bob was kind enough to make my tiny deposit on his way back to the office.

Maggie, I am curious about the basement in your motor home.

Susan, I was so glad to see you today! I hope you feel better as each day goes along. You've been so diligent about your eating, how will you ever gain 10#s?

"Gma," is your new stove a smooth top? You are getting larger burners and I'm wishing I had smaller ones. I have one burner with two "rings" -- one for a smaller pan and the other for a larger pan. It is to the front and I use it the most. Another burner is bigger yet, in fact bigger than any pan I have. I'm sure you will enjoy the new stove. I hope Kelly's surgery goes well. That sounds like "hurt" to me. On the GREAT loss this week! Good luck in figuring out the knitting challenge. You can do it!

I need to put my paperwork away for another week. I'm going to have some HOT tea and warm up. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 01-13-2015, 07:08 AM   #6  

Good morning to you all. It isn't too bad this morning though I don't really know how cold it is outside. It is supposed to be warming up again for a few days so I am all for that. Jack got some fancy pants new windshield wipers on the car so now it can rain if it needs to! Actually, we just needed new wipers and I told him to get the ones that say they never smear and such so we shall see.

Jack set up the appointment to have the new doors installed a week from today so that is done and he will be home so he can deal with that. We also have to have a pane of glass replaced in the back set of windows and they will come and do that on Monday and Jack has the day off again so he can deal with that too.

I have a dr apt this morning and my sneaky husband thought he got away with something, but I figured it out. He took today off and I wondered why. He kept saying he wanted to go with me to the dr's. I thought he might be worried about something but that wasn't it at all. Had nothing to do with my dr appt. Last night we were watching the college football championship or I should say he was and a light bulb came on. I realized he took today off so he could stay up late and watch that darn game. I cornered him and he admitted it and we had a big laugh over it.

I sure do hope my Kelly comes through her knee surgery ok. They are doing some pretty involved stuff and the rehab is going to be killer I guess. I know she is afraid as she has problems with anesthesia and this isn't something they can do an epidural block or something like that. Mom will just be doing some praying this morning. I sent her these cute flowers yesterday, but haven't been able to get anyone to verify they were ever delivered. Going to have to get tough and find out about that today.

Jean: My stove has one of those huge burners with the fast boil thing in the middle and then the three others plus a warming. Yes, I have the flat top ceramic. My other one was the same thing and I really liked it. I need to get some of that stuff to clean stainless though this weekend when we go commissary shopping. I see it is going to be a full time thing keeping it clean. Glad you were able to find the snafu. I too figured mine out and I was never doing anything wrong, just counting it wrong. I have put in about 8 rows now of the bottom and it is coming right along.

I guess I better get upstairs and get showered and dressed. We have to leave here at 8 AM and I haven't done my blood sugar or had breakfast besides so I better hop to it. Have a great day. Faye
Old 01-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining brightly but the breeze is blowing and it's still cold outside. It was -12 when I came downstairs this morning. I had an appointment with the hospital accountant this morning. I couldn't get the December bank statement to balance and asked her for help. Turns out we had two invoice checks that were "lost" in the mail or someone tossed them not realizing there were checks in the envelopes. Anyhow, the hospital computer accounting system tosses those two check amounts out when I reissued them, and I kept them in the checkbook balance as outstanding checks. Another "glitch" was a credit card amount I entered as a debit. When I asked about it and found out it was part of another list of debits and credits, I put it back in the balance which canceled the first entry -- should have entered it back in twice. How was I supposed to know about ( )s, etc., etc. She was very patient and kind! My checkbook is pretty sad looking! I had used different colors of ink and highlighters trying to find my mistake. She crossed out and penciled in new balances as she went along. Her adding machine sits to the side, and behind her main desk, she is a whiz on it without looking! Then I went to the gift shop to inventory the greeting cards. By the time I got home it was time for lunch. Have a load of laundry in the washer which should be done. I think I have worked hard enough for one day!

"Gma," will Kelly spend the night in the hospital? I'm glad her surgery went well according to your FB post. I hope your doctor's appointment was a good one too. My oven has the steam clean feature, but I have never used it. If something bubbles over I wipe it out as soon as the oven is cool. I did notice the glass in the door could use a good scrubbing.

It's time for a tea break! Enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 01-13-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #8  

Good evening, ladies! 34 degrees and they say snow and ice are on the way!

I had to venture out to the grocery store today - pantry and fridge were pretty empty. I spent $213! Since I hadn't shopped in 3 weeks, that was pretty good. I can tell you it wore me out . I sat down and immediately fell asleep for 3 hours.

Prednisone is a wonder drug but it gives me bad insominia. If I sleep 4 hours a night, I'm doing good. I try to convince myself that lying quitely is as restfull as sleeping, but it doesn't really happen.

I'm getting a hair cut tomorrow - or I'll have to get a dog license. My hair is a mess.

Faye, I'm glad Kelly's surgery went well. Poor thing! I haven't been to the gym in over a month and I'm weak. Hopefully I can get back in a few weeks - that depends on the eye doctor. I'm not supposed to lift more than 10 pounds.

Jean, I'm really afraid to try to gain weight but what I'm doing is just adding a couple of protein shakes between meals. You are becoming quite the bookkeeper.

I'm thinking what to eat for dinner. Problem is I have no appetite. I guess it'll be chicken and broccoli and a salad.

Have a wonderful evening!
Old 01-14-2015, 07:25 AM   #9  

Good morning all. Not too bad this morning but supposed to remain chilly then warm up nicely tomorrow through the weekend. I am already sick of winter.

I went and got my nails done yesterday and spent $75 at Walmart. I was supposed to get milk and bread and hamb buns and came home with a bunch of fruit, these eggo things that looked good and weren't bad in points and some premade tuna salad and chicken salad. I also had to get soda since we are out. Ahh well.

Kelly is doing very well. She was texting me at 4 AM this morning. One of her medications when mixed with narcotics gives her insomnia. She has to take her med and she needs the narcotics for pain so she is having a bit of trouble. She isn't in pain though, which is good and she said she isn't having a problem walking either, which is good.

This may be a total disaster as I am totally void of any art ability, but she and I are going to take a painting class on the 24th. Supposedly any idiot can paint, but they haven't dealt with this idiot. Give me yarn, yes, a paint brush well it remains to be seen. I told her she had to sign a confidentiality agreement!

I have to go to the hospital a week from today and get the drain put in. He says the fluid is not draining off like it should. I can't go until then because I have nsaids in my system as I took Advil yesterday and I take baby aspirin. Monday is a holiday and Tuesday I have to take Thomas to the dentist so it has to be Wednesday. I am not looking forward to once again being cut on but hopefully it won't take long and it doesn't cause me any problems. I hope I don't have to keep it very long either.

Today is clean the bathrooms day so will attack that in a bit. I am doing a load of laundry at the moment and will eat breakfast a little later.

Susan: Did you get any of that icy weather they were predicting? I heard on the radio yesterday North and South Carolina and VA was going to get icy conditions. At least you have been to the store now so if it does hit you have food in the house and won't have to go out. I have the 10 lb limit too so Jack is having to do a lot of stuff I would normally do myself. Irritating but don't want the mesh to tear for sure. Feel better soon! I always look forward to the hair salon as my roots are usually showing pretty badly. Dark roots wouldn't be so bad, but at my age they are white and it makes me look like I have bald patches.

Jean: I would never make an accountant. I get too irritated if my checkbook doesn't balance to the penny let alone something big like a corporate account. I made a mess of the church school's checkbook way back in the 70's. I quit to move to another duty station and it probably took them weeks to figure it all out. How is Bob feeling? No Kelly wasn't at a hospital but a clinic. It was the same one that did Jack's first knee surgery then they got bought out by Methodist, who are not in our network so Jack had his other knee done at another clinic here in town. They are basically mini hospitals though not clinics like dr office clinics.

You gals have a good middle of the week. I am going to balance the checkbook and pay bills. Faye
Old 01-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #10  

Good Morning! It's cloudy but a little warmer today. I have lunch bunch at noon. It won't be much of a bunch as one gal has been fighting a bad cold so is staying home, one is babysitting grandchildren, and another is having some testing done because she keeps having mini strokes. I just sprinkled catnip on a rug and Sonny is just acting goofy rolling in it. He's a talker and I wish I knew what he was saying.

Susan, I'm glad you were able to brave the store! I hope the weather turns out to be better than the forecast, but at least you won't starve. Hopefully your strength will increase as you feel better and able to move more.

"Gma," it sure doesn't take long to spend $75 anywhere these days. I have no artistic ability either; you are a good sport to give it a try! I'm sorry about the fluid situation. I hope the drain will solve the problem for you.

I need to finish getting ready to leave; have a couple errands to do on the way to lunch. Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #11  

Good afternoon, ladies! 34 degrees and rain! I got up to an ice covered world - looked beautiful but took down a tree in the back of my house. Fortunately it is just over the property line and on the common property so the homeowners assoc. is sendi9ng a clean up crew.

It warmed up enough the roads were clear so I got my hair cut. It feels so much better.

I'm spending the night with Sandy since she has to be at the hospital at 6 am for her cataract surgery. It's near her house so will save my getting up and driving to get her. We're going to Ruby Tuesday for dinner tonight.

Faye, ouch to the drain. Hopefully it'll do its job quickly. I can't believe how much groceries have gone up.

Jean, I hope you enjoyed you luinch bunch. Schools were on a 2-hour delay this morning.

Have a great evening!
Old 01-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Thursday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JANUARY MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

Last year sometime a bump on my back about 3 inches below my left shoulder came up. It was about the size of a quarter under the skin and it pushed the skin up about the size of a dime. I went to the dermatologist and she said that I could have it removed but chances were it would come back. Well since it would probably come back and didn’t hurt at all I elected to just leave it be. Well here it is now I felt it when I showered and low and behold it has disappeared on its own. Gone ~ absolutely not there anymore. Like she said though it may come back but it may disappear again like it did. Strange and more common than one would think.

Not much is happening around here this day. Will is at the museum. I did show a pound at my weigh in but that is normal for me to show a bit of a gain after a large loss like last week.

We are going to have one huge yard sale come spring. We have a house full of furniture to get rid of also. Any of the “good stuff” we can take to the consignment shop to sell for us. We have done this before so we know what is in store for us to down size. Thank goodness we have that room in Texas so we can put some needful things there. I have a wonderful sturdy table with legs that fold here in my office which will be great to take for me to do crafty things on. Will has his sturdy work bench to do his leather work on. We have a friend here that will loan us his truck and an enclosed trailer to haul the “stuff” in to Texas. Or maybe when our friend in Texas comes up here to pick up the dining table and chairs they want he can haul some of our stuff back and put it in that room. His grown son would help him unload it all. We shall see when the time comes just what we will do for we have time to mull it around and decisions to make.

OH my ears are itching today ~ they don’t make wax so I have to medicate them with some Fluocinonide 0.5 mg which is prescription only. I can use it on any external rash that itches I may have or get. It’s powerful stuff. I was first introduced it years ago and my doc had prescribed for a rash I got on my ankle area. The doc here said I could also use it in my itchy ears. I don’t have to use it often but when I do ~ what a relief it is. My tubes of it always expire before they are used up. The druggist said that it is one of the items that gets weaker and not stronger when it reaches the expiration date.

SUSAN That is good your hair cut worked out for you. How fortunate that tree lived where it did so you you didn't have to pay for the removal of it.

JEAN Sonny is showing his appreciation to the kitty feel good you gave him.

DONNA FAYE Hope that drain works for you and does it job quickly so you don't have to wear that drain thingy long.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up

Last edited by Maggie; 01-15-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:03 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and it has warmed up to 32 degrees this afternoon. There is a breeze so still need a winter coat outside. This morning I made a WM run and forgot to add outside cat food to my list, so will have to go back in a few days. Then I drove to another little town that has a woman's clothing store looking for something new to wear to the wedding. I found a multi colored jacket to wear with black slacks and top I already have. It has clear sequins that reminds me of fish scales. It will work although I didn't really want to wear black. The clerk tried to talk me into a dress and the fabric was "slinky." It made me look like a marshmallow with a string tied in the middle -- not a pretty sight. The town has a tiny K-Mart and I like to stop there. Found a hot air brush that no one, WM nor Walgreens, in my town carries. We have a meeting at church tonight; Bob has another one before the one we go to together, and has been in a crop meeting all day. I'm betting he will be tired tonight.

Susan, that is too bad about your tree. I'm glad you don't have the expense of removing it. A lot of our area schools had late starts, or canceled, because of the wind chill factor last week. Here in town the buses have pick up spots around town, but the kids still have to stand out in the weather and wait. We had two busses collide Monday, guess the second driver wasn't paying close enough attention that the first bus was slowing down. There was $5000 damage to one bus and $10,000 to the other. It knocked windows out of the first bus and sent one driver, an aide, and two students to the ER for cuts and bruises. There were elementary students on one bus and guess parents were called to come to school, and make sure their children were ok, and calmed down.

Maggie, just thinking about downsizing gives me a headache! I guess I'm very partial to my "stuff" and just don't want to part with any of it. I even have a hard time changing pictures on the walls. Bob has a tractor collection in his office that he thinks he will try and sell. I've offered space for it even though really not a good fit either. You know just what to do about that pesky pound that sneaked back on! Glad you have something that works for itching. Much better than being miserable.

I need to put my purchases away, and think I feel like a nap. Shopping wears me out! Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 01-15-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #14  

Good morning all. Missed yesterday I see. I do not know how I do that. My excuse right now is trying to help Kelly out as much as I can. The nerve block has worn off completely and she is in severe pain now. On top of that narcotics will invariable cause constipation and she has that to deal with. We are taking her dinner tonight and I am going to help her get her laundry done. She said she is on her last set of pjs that fit.

My new towels are coming today so that will be nice. I bought them at Penneys and happen to hit on a big sale so I basically bought one towel and got one free. I have plenty of hand towels and wash cloths and they won't match but it is just the two of us. We no longer have a guest room for someone to stay so I don't need fancy sets of towels. I paid $12 apiece for them so hope they are nice and large and fluffy. I hate stiff towels. Ours are about 5 years old so they have had a nice long life and are getting a little shabby looking now around the edging. I always keep old towels as they are great for cleaning up messes and such.

I am on my way with the sweater and it is coming along nicely. I have finished the bottom edging and am on the body of the sweater now. I am going to lengthen it a bit though as the pattern comes right to the belly button and I like it to hid my belly bump.

Jean: Hope Bob got some rest after a long day. Your jacket sounds pretty. Maybe you can jazz the black up with colored jewelry like red. When do you leave for the wedding? We are supposed to be in the 50's today so I hope it gets up there.

Susan: I dread the drain but it has to be done. I have never had one so don't really know what to expect except they cut me again. How is Sandy doing?

Maggie: I am definitely going to be happy getting this stuff packed and sent to Goodwill or wherever. I am tired of it and tired of dusting it all. It seems to get dirty the minute I am finished. We are definitely going minimal in the house when we buy new stuff.

You gals have a lovely weekend. Our is going to be busy. Jack has to go to the dealership and get a new key, Kelly needs us and we have commissary shopping. Faye
Old 01-16-2015, 02:44 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon!The sun is shining and we are heading towards 40 degrees this afternoon! The snow will turn to slop in no time. I was asked to bake bars for a funeral at church. Dumb me, decided to make a recipe I've never made but had at another funeral lunch. Well, my baking skills have become nil, and lesson learned. The recipe said to bake 25 minutes and mine were close to 40. I'm going to buy a brownie mix after lunch and call it good. The first pan got brown around the edges and were still soupy in the middle! I'm thinking they're going to church anyway! Bob did a taste test and said they were fine.

"Gma," we go to Omaha the 27th and fly out the 28th. Our plane leaves about 10 but with unpredictable Iowa weather we go down the night before. We are 21/2 hours from Omaha. The motel is close to the airport and they run a shuttle according to plane schedules. It's nice of you to help Kelly. Will she have physical therapy eventually? I've heard that is painful too.

I was interrupted by Bob coming home for lunch. Sort of lost my train of thought which isn't unusual these days. Have a great day!