3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias #28 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/267576-steel-magnolias-28-a.html)

gma22 10-10-2012 07:35 AM

Good morning to you all. It is slightly warmer than it has been overnight here and I even ran that fan on low last night. Looks like a nice sunny fall day today.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my hubby today. I asked him if he feels 63 and he just smiled and said, "Some days." He said mostly because of his knee and his plantis faciatis is acting up again which causes him pain in his foot and so he is going to have to go back to the dr and have him set up rehab for him again I guess.

I am finally putting the instep in Jay's sock so it is coming along. It has gotten to be a boring knit so I will be glad when it is done and I can get them blocked. His birthday is in a little less than two weeks so I have to get on the ball.

Jean: So you don't wind your yarn into balls when you knit, you just knit directly from the skein? I always roll my skeins and my hanks too, but like I said yesterday when they are in hanks, it takes more effort because I need the extra pair of hands. One reason I always roll my skeins is I have found pieces tied together or broken completely apart. I had one skein that was basically shredded in the middle and this way, you have no surprises. Also, I have found that pulling from the middle you can get a wad of yarn that is all knotted up and can be a pain to try and undo even having to cut it and splice because you have already started the project and there is no way to undo the knotting. I bought a $90 pair of sandals for the cruise that I thought would be great and I didn't even take them. I had walked outside on them so I couldn't send them back and the place I bought them said they didn't carry them anymore so I am stuck with the darn things. I have two pair I bought several years ago at Land's End and I love, but they don't make them anymore. I took the one pair, which is kind of beat up and wore them a lot on the ship. They were a lot cheaper than $90 for sure. Jack hates flannel sheets as they make him sweat so we usually use an electric blanket, but ours has gone kaflooey so I need to buy a new one.

Maggie: Cats hate being taken out of their homes, I know Butterscotch hated it. We always just left him in the house and had Kelly just peek in on him from time to time. They are so much more self sufficient than dogs. We would open up the doors and curtains on the second floor and he loved to sit and "talk" to the birds. I imagine Fortune is going to have to get used to kenneling again when we don't take him with us as I don't feel right asking Kelly anymore to keep him since we can trade dog sitting anymore. I keep forgetting to tell you about a soup I had one night for dinner on the ship. You would have loved it. It was a poblano pepper and corn soup. It was a disgusting green color but the taste was to die for.

I hope you all have a great middle of the week. Gonna get back to that sock. Faye

Jean 10-10-2012 05:11 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The painters came this morning and one is still here. The ceilings are done and she has started on the dark green kitchen wall. I hope I like it! I had a "no cavities" check-up first thing this morning, ran a couple errands, picked up more paint, went to lunch bunch, and have bell practice shortly. Ernie isn't too happy with his house being rearranged.

Maggie -- It was 23 degrees here this morning, and 65 in the house. :brr: The sun is shining and it's a beautiful fall afternoon. I'm glad the vet can keep your pets but feel bad for Cecil being separated from his brothers. :(

"Gma" -- :hb: to Jack! I've had the plantar faciatis and feel for him! I have wound yarn in a ball but this seemed to pull so easily. I did have to tie a knot because I left it on my chair when I got up to answer the phone and Ernie chewed on the yarn. :o I cut the gooey part out and tied a knot; it worked to the back side so will weave the ends in later.

I need to change clothes and head for church. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening! :wave:

Maggie 10-10-2012 07:21 PM

Wonderful Chilly Wednesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS :comp:

We have been out and about on this beautiful cool day. We stopped and bought 3 of those little pumpkins which I will use for a table decoration with some silk fall leaves I have.

We have changed our plans and will not be going to go to Texas because Will is on call that time and it is a busy time of the year with folks needing things. He wasn’t originally scheduled for that time and did not think to look at his calendar before we made our out of state plans. So a good thing is that Cecil won’t be traumatized after all and another good thing is we won’t be traveling on the road on the busiest day of the year.

I am thinking of getting another pasta machine. I used to have one and homemade is so much better than store bought. I made lasagna and ravioli and other types also. It is one of those appliances that I used to have but got rid of when we moved into that motor home. I have slowly replaced the ones that I really thought I would use and not the ones that I didn’t use much. A pasta machine is one of those I didn’t use much but when we wanted pasta I would make homemade for it is so good. Will was wanting some homemade ravioli and I said that it was absolutely too much work without that machine to roll the dough out so thin. So guess what ~ he wants me to get another Atlas next month so I can make homemade pasta once again. It is so much better. I won’t even have to spend “my allowance” on it. :lol: There is a nice electric pasta maker out that mixes the dough and makes 10 types of pasta but doesn’t make lasagna nor ravioli noodles. I have other ways to mix the dough and would rather have the hand crank model so I can make the wide dough.

JEAN As it is now the animals will be all together and their routine won't be mixed up since we will stay here. I think we will put a turkey breast in my indoor smoker and see how that works on that. Be a good time to experiment with a large piece of bird. It has worked great on every thing else we have pressure smoked in it. I can easily make some dressing and cranberry sauce to go with it and whatever else "traditional" we want. You will have to tell us how you do like that dark green wall and if it visually shrinks your kitchen. :congrat: on your good dental check up. I get to go get my little cavity taken care of on the 19th. :o

DONNA FAYE That soup sounds good for I like those peppers and mixed with corn would be a nice combination for a soup. That sounds like a combo I might experiement in my blender. I know you will want to dance a jig when you get that pair of sox completed.

Have a great day Magnolias. :wave:

gma22 10-11-2012 08:26 AM

Good morning gals! It got kind of cold overnight and my knees are killing me this morning so unless they quite throbbing, no cleaning for me today as today is my upstairs day. I only have sweeping and mopping so if the knees quite hurting I might exchange tomorrow's mopping for today's upstairs cleaning, but they have to quit hurting. I am going to put Icy Hot on them as soon as I finish here and take some Ibuprophen.

I worked a lot on Jay's sock yesterday so am now on the foot and whizzing right along. I hope to have it done next week early. I have to mail it by the 19th Priority so he will get it by his birthday. Alicia told Jackson Nonny bought him presents while on the cruise so she says he goes out and looks for the box every day. :lol:

Well, I surprised Jack for his birthday and booked another cruise for Oct of next year but this one is a western and goes to Cozumel, Mexico and a couple other places. Jack wants to swim with the dolphins, so I am going to book him an excursion to do that. I want to do the "Salsa, salsa, Margarita" cooking class where you make 9 different salsas/dips and different margaritas, but it depends on how much you have to stand up to work. I even got us the same room so likely we will have the same room attendent. He is now all excited all over again. :lol: Time to start a new excel program and have Jack bring down the cruise folder to start putting stuff in. We are saving a lot of money this time since we don't have to get any new luggage, which was $529, the cruise is $200 cheaper than this year's, no tux this time as he has decided to take his suits so that saves $100, no new passports which saves $150, the choc covered strawberries he had delivered to the room for my birthday were horrible and $50 so savings there too. That saves us about $1000 from the trip we took this year. I already was able to book the same hotel package in Florida so am glad about that. It went up about $20, but since you get the room, hot buffet breakfast, shuttle to and from the port terminal, and you park your car in their secured lot for the week. Right now, a 7 day cruise to park at the terminal costs, $120 for the week! I shouldn't have to buy many clothes as I have sizes that I should be able to fit in by then and I also have a lovely gown with jacket I wore for Jay's wedding and hopefully will be able to wear that and not have to buy something new.

I am keeping myself on the straight and narrow WW wise by reminding myself of the agony it was for me to do the lifeboat/safety drill thing. First off, you have to take the stairs, which was tough on the knee, then the weather was so hot and humid, around 90/80%humidity, then you had to stand in line like soldiers and it was quite a long time as they check your sea pass and everyone has to do this so until everyone has been checked through, you stand and wait in the heat. Then the captain comes on and blabs for like 5 more minutes and you wait some more and finally you they let you go. I am surprised people weren't keeling over. I got in line in the back so at least I could lean against the ship, but agony is the only word to put on this. So everytime, I am tempted, I remind myself of this and it keeps me straight!

Maggie: So sorry you don't get to go to Texas at Thanksgiving. Can you go some other time? I would like to buy the pasta attachment to my kitchenaid sometime down the road. I like the fresh pasta.

Jean: I laughed out loud at your yarn being gooed up by Ernie. Butterscotch used to kick my off my lap or whatever then chase the ball all over the place.

Hope you all have a good Thursday. I am off to put some meds on my knees. Faye

Jean 10-11-2012 11:04 AM

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a gloomy, windy, cold 48 degree morning in my corner of the world. :brr: The weatherman said it would be sunny today, but guess he was on the wrong page for that one. http://forums.delphiforums.com/dir-icon/0/2/tongue.icon I'm going to lunch at Bob's office today. One of the other agents (male) likes to cook and is always bringing food in. Today is potato soup. Yum! Since the painting gal is here, and working in the kitchen, I couldn't cook if I wanted to. Then I have crafty club this afternoon, so there will be more food. :rolleyes:

Maggie -- I, too, am sorry about your Texas trip but glad Cecil will be a happy cat. ;) The gal for whom I have babysat their cat called last night. They are going to be gone for two months this winter and she is lining up different cat lovers to take turns. They tried to find a place so they could take the cat but no luck. I feel bad for the cat because she is such a lover and gets so lonely. We usually watch tv for an hour or so when I visit her. Her name is Boomer, like a boomerang, because she was a stray and kept coming back until they invited her in to stay. :lol: Both of us like the dark green color! The wall with the sliding doors doesn't have much wall space so don't think it will be overwhelming.

"Gma" -- I hope your knees are feeling better after you put the meds on them. :crossed: It's nice you will have the time to prepare for the next cruise; it sounds like a fun one. :yes: I didn't think about actually having to do the safety drill but am sure it's a good idea. At least you didn't have to crawl into the life boats did you? I am marking my knitting rows with a pin and will check for mistakes every few rows. It's a fast knit/crochet so doesn't take long to fix but I would hate to rip out too many rows.

I need to decide what I am wearing and do another load of laundry. Enjoy a terrific Thursday today! :wave:

Maggie 10-11-2012 01:34 PM

Titilating Thursday

It is currently 56ºs and it is said it will get up to the high 70ºs here in the ♥-Land before this day is over. We like it, our Jeep likes it and the animals like it so all is well around our house. The Jeep has always run better in cool weather. It didn’t run bad in the heat but it just seems like it runs better now that it is cooler.

I have some meat to bag and get into the freezer this day for Will found some more Italian sausage in the used bin and this batch has the hot :flame: spices in it. There are also some other cuts of beef and chicken I need to bag. Just a little sausage gives a nice kick to scrambled egg beaters. I take the casings off one link and just crumble part of it and cook it along with some chopped onions & bell peppers then add the beaters and it makes a yummy mix for a meal. I keep chopped onions and bell peppers in the freezer for I use them a lot in different dishes. :cp: I have larger sized pieces chopped for beans and smaller ones for dishes like the scrambled beaters.

When we were at the nursery yesterday I noticed a bin with broken up pieces of marble counter top type pieces of all colors. I got a piece that is 6” x 12” long and an inch thick that is black and gray marbled and nice and smooth on one side which is polished. The ends are both broken off and not smooth which make it have a rustic look. I can use it for serving cheese and crackers or other snack type things at a get-together. I am going to set it in the middle of the table for this season with those little pumpkins I got and some leaves around it. It cost a whopping 62ȼ. :yes:

I have yet to decide on what to make for dinner. I am leaning on something from the WW Comfort Classics book. There are many recipes in that book I want to try for a lot of them sound so good. I can have something ready to go into the oven when he gets home. This is the day Will will be home later than usual, for there is a board meeting after his volunteer time at the museum. Those folks on that board want Will there for he is a wealth of information about what the museum may need and how to fix things that need some care. Also he is to give a report on how the raffle tickets are being sold. Now all the money from the tickets that are sold goes into the coffers of the museum, for they do have enough to cover the cost of the gun already. They still want to hire him but he doesn’t need another job. :no:

My Cuisinart® Mini-Prep Plus Processor arrived just now. So great for cutting the work time down by slicing and chopping all kinds of veggies for different dishes. It will also aid me in making all those neat yummy pesto, sauces and marinades we like to enhance our meals with. This model is so much better than the one I used to have that I used for years. Maybe it’s going to make me want a new bigger model. :lol: But that will have to wait if I really want it because I do want the pasta machine first. I can’t think of another appliance I do need to replace. I will have a shelf set up in the pantry room to put my appliances so they will be easy to reach when Will vacates his office and moves it downstairs. It will certainly free up some of my kitchen counter and give me more work space in there. I am really going to like having this new little processor and will use it often so it will have a place on my counter. :yes: In fact I may do some re-arranging in there this day.

JEAN Will you be making something seasonal at crafty club today? Your weather is a might cooler than ours is now. They are still saying we all are in for a colder winter so I am sending my favorite coat to the cleaners soon. I hung it out on a hook by the back door to remind me to take it when we go out and about. That is great that you will like your new kitchen paint. Every room in this house is the same off white. But we have decorations up ~ like pictures and hanging plants, etc. A good time to have it all re-painted is when we move out ~ whenever that may happen. We don’t have any plans on vacating this place soon. We want to get a motor-home to do some traveling on our “vacation time.” That is the plan for next year sometime when we find a used one that is suitable. The new ones are outrageously priced. Plus it may all depend on how the gas prices look when we get ready to buy.

DONNA FAYE I know you will be joyous when you actually do get those sox in the mail on their way to a pair of happy feet. :cp: I really feel for you for your knees hurting. :hug: Sure makes it hard to do anything when they do hurt. I have a prescription for mine and when they hurt regardless I take an over the counter arthritis med as a kicker. Your upcoming cruise sounds delightful. Now you have something to plan for in a different type climate and save some money to boot. I am happy for you that both of you have found something you really enjoy doing together. That is so important for a married couple. :yes:

gma22 10-12-2012 05:50 AM

Good morning to you all. It is fairly pleasant outside this morning around 60 degrees. We are supposed to be in the 70's for the most part for the next week or so, except tomorrow it is supposed to be in the mid 80's.

Scheduled my mammogram for this year. Kind of early to get your boobs squished (8 AM) but I need a morning appt so it doesn't interfere with picking up Jack from work and sometimes you have to sit for a long, long time. Guess I can get some sock work done while I wait!

Maggie: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!:woo::bday2::celebrate: I hope you have a very nice day today. Sounds like you got a nice addition to your kitchen counter or table or whatever. You can do some beautiful mosaics with broken countertops too.

Jean: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :balloons::bday2you::hb: I am doing yours a day early as I may not get in here until late tomorrow and wanted you to know I remembered. Lots colder where you are for sure. I bought stuff to make chili and potato soup as I thought it was going to be colder, but the forcast says warmer so will just wait it out! :lol: No, we didn't have to do anything with the life boats, which sure aren't what you see on tv. They are huge things with bench seats and canopies. We don't have to wear our life vest either. They are in our closet in our cabin. I did put mine on in the cabin though so i knew what to do just in case. It was the most miserable thing I think I have ever done and from what Jack says, the western caribbean trip will be more of the same; hot and humid.

Coming along on that dang sock. I want to work on the other pair as it has a pattern in it and is fun. Like I said, this has become boring partly because it is so long. I emailed Kelly about T's shoe size and the kid is into a men's size 8. He is gonna have feet like his uncle at this rate! :lol:

Nothing else exciting going on around here. I am still waiting for my refund for that horrible hotel stay. We shall see if he follows through. I kept his email address so if I don't see it in the bank within a couple weeks he will get another scathing email from me.

We are having breakfast with Kelly at 8:30 tomorrow morning:yawn: for our birthdays. She just combined the two since we are so close together and I was gone for mine. I then have a haircut in the late afternoon with my miracle gal. It's too bad a lot of my cruise photos don't really show how nice the haircut is because the heat and humidity caused a lot of problems with keeping it in place.

You gals have a very nice weekend. Faye

Jean 10-12-2012 02:30 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a cool, windy, sunny day in my neighborhood. The painters are finishing this afternoon and I will have my house back again. :cp: I am doing laundry and should make a grocery list in case we don't go to the game in the morning.

Maggie -- :woo: :celebrate: :balloons: :hb: :bday2you: Hope you are having a wonderful day! I know you will enjoy your new "toy." Everyone, at crafty club, just brings their current project to share. I am surprised that the same color of paint looks different depending on how much natural light is shining on it. We both like all the colors. Whew!

"Gma" -- It's only 56 degrees outside; not sure what the wind chill might be. :lol: Hope you didn't have to wait too long for your mammogram and all is well. Thank you for the birthday greetings. I don't feel any older . . . yet. I know you will be glad to get the sock finished. I have my mistake corrected and the pulled out rows back in order again. I hope the hotel refund comes through without any hassle. Enjoy your birthday breakfast with Kelly and family tomorrow.

I need to fold towels and start another load of laundry. Bob said it's time for long sleeved shirts. Enjoy the rest of the day! :wave:

Maggie 10-12-2012 04:58 PM

Rocktober 12 My Birthday Day Today This Day

It is a chilly day here in the ♥-Land and we are back from a nice drive about and in the country. We took the dogs and they really enjoy when the weather gets cooler for they get to go for rides more. We never like to take them on :flame: hot days and go in somewhere and have to leave them out in the heat in the Jeep. Today we bought them some new tennis balls and beef ribs so they are happy, happy dogs. We didn’t take them along though when Will took me out to lunch at our favorite place and I had BBQ shrimp on a skewer and a sweet potato without the butter. I get to pick what I want for a birthday present and I have been doing some thinking on that and haven’t exactly decided yet. I am strongly thinking about a S&W 22 for plinking around. All in all this has been a wonderful day for me and I don’t feel a bit different just because it is my BD. The restaurant gave me a piece of chocolate cake and some ice cream in a go bag. :yikes: I think I will have a small taste and let Will eat the rest. I am drinking the sf ff latte with a double shot of espresso they gave me at our coffee place. :cp: I didn’t tell either place it is my birthday but Will did. He got such a kick out of doing that.

DONNA FAYE Thanks for the BD wishes! It is a shame if you have to have a long wait once you get to the place to have your mammogram. Do they make too many appointments for the same time slot where you go? I really like the gal that does my mammogram for she takes me in at my appointment time and is very efficient. In fact she is the best I have ever run across doing them during my lifetime of having to have them. They have the state of the art equipment here and it is so much better than how they used to do it. I am so glad for you that you are almost finished with that sock. :cp: Next start on one of your fun to knit projects. :p

JEAN How nice to now have your remodeling all done and nice fresh painted room. That painted wall sounds like a treat since it changes with the light. Do you ever take something to work on while at craft club? Thaks for the BD wishes. I don't feel any different either and am glad I don't feel any older. :lol:

Maggie 10-13-2012 11:28 AM

Saturday ~ Chilly This Day

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS :comp:

O – Let the rain come down – We had a gulley washer last night with lots of thunder and lightning which kept the dogs barking and disturbing my sleep. We sure needed the rain though so I am not complaining. :no: The temperature this day is going to get up to 75ºs and not higher so say the talking heads. It is currently 63ºs as I type. I am just waking up to the world and having my first cup of coffee. Cecil is in the bedroom and the dogs are asleep in the front room and Will is out at the mall selling raffle tickets. I am home alone and just starting to think of what to cook for dinner this day. I know for lunch I will be having a bowl of my Peal-A-Pound soup. :cp: I think for dinner I will make grilled chicken breast tenders. I can use a cast iron square pan that has ridges built up in the bottom which is called a “grill pan.” It works great for I get it real hot and then I have a flat cast iron top with ridges in it that I heat on another burner then press it down on top of the meat and it cooks from both sides at once. I have had this method of grilling indoors before I got my Cuisinart Griddler® that has several plates and works as a grill or a griddle or a waffle-er. I think I will use the griddler for it is much easier to clean up afterwards. :lol: Grilled chicken, seasoned rice, green beans and fruit sounds like a yummy dinner to me.

We have a start on gathering up the food for Thanksgiving for we now have a turkey breast and cans of whole cranberry sauce and mandarin orange slices. I like to mix the cranberry sauce with the orange sections along with a few chopped nuts. Makes a great spread for a leftover turkey sandwich. It will depend on if we have guests over for the meal on how much I will be making. I will mix up a batch of refrigerator rolls which are so good to have frozen for later meals. I like to make these for a holiday meal because you can mix the dough up ahead of time and keep it in the fridge till you want to use it. It will last a few days in the fridge. I hope the weather is conducive for Will to smoke the turkey breast outside. I like to pull back the skin and rub spices on it then pull the skin back over it. It is so good that way and I do discard the skin before slicing the meat. It is so good cooking it that way ~ nice and juicy and not dry at all. While he has the smoker going I like to smoke some other cuts of meat also for later meals.

JEAN :bday2you: :hb: :gift: :balloons: May you have many more to celebrate. :celebrate: What do you have on your ticket to do this day to celebrate? I am a day older than you :lol: well ~ many days that is. Life is good.

DONNA FAYE I imagine you had a fun breakfast this day with your daughter. It is nice to have someone to celebrate with. :hb: Is her pool put to bed yet or does she still use it for awhile?

gma22 10-13-2012 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Afternoon girls!!! I hope you all are having a nice Saturday. It is gorgeous here, in the low 80's. I had to change my outfit this morning from long sleeved sweater and long pants to capris and cotton shirt to go out to breakfast as it was already in the 70's when we left.

Breakfast was terrific. It is a nice little cafe restaurant with great food. I splurged and had their cinnamon stuffed french toast with fresh strawberries and two strips of bacon. The splurge came from the stuffing, it was Nutella, YUM! Have to work it off. The kids gave me a subscription to a knitting magazine and an Amazon gift card. I bought myself a new watch, 2 skeins of sock yarn (see below) to make ME a pair of socks eventually and the new J D Robb book that just came out while I was on the cruise for my Kindle.

I have to leave around 3:30 to go get my haircut but Becky won't be doing my hair. I got a call yesterday from them that her fiance is on his deathbed with brain cancer so she is out of the salon for awhile. She assured me that all the stylists were trained by Becky herself so I shouldn't be worried about getting a good cut. I just feel so bad for her. She is such a great lady.

Jack is going to stay home and watch the Boise State game. He is welcome to it. I am not a football fan anymore and haven't been since high school, though I watch enough to converse with him about teams and such. This way I will miss at least 3/4 of it! :lol:

Jean: Happy Birthday to you again! I hope you have a nice birthday today. I guess I confused you. My mammogram is Nov 2. For insurance purposes I have to move it up a month every year because I can only have one mammogram in a calendar year unless there is a problem. I don't know why they are so slow there, but it sure seems to take a long time to get in. Maybe it was because last time it was later around 11 AM or so I think and a lot of folks had come in by then. It was really warm here last night. I was almost tempted to put on the ac, but thought by morning I would be freezing and too lazy to get up so I just put on the fans.

Maggie: Kelly and Tom close their pool around the middle of Sept usually so yes, it is closed. They told me this morning that my nitwit dog would go out and fall into the pool or actually on top of the pool cover trying to get at the water on the pool cover. Tom said you could see him out there just prancing around on top of the pool like he owned the place. :lol: They told me a lot of funny stories about him. Jack kept telling her he was sorry Fortune was so much trouble, but she would laugh it off. He is just so clingy and gets up so much in the night.

Well, I guess I should go make myself some lunch. Have a good weekend all! Faye

Jean 10-14-2012 05:42 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a beautiful fall day in my corner of the world; it's sunny, bright blue sky, chilly, and the never ending wind is blowing. It's raining leaves from one of our huge maple trees, wish the other three would get busy so Bob could mow/bag the leaves. I was up bright and early to be at church by 7:30 for bell practice. This afternoon we've been putting the house back together again. I didn't realize I had so much "stuff." Everything is dusty or gritty. Bob is off to pick up some blank wall covers for tv hookups that no longer work. He has a pile of light switch and outlet covers to paint. Tomorrow I will stop by the paint store for register paint.

Maggie -- Thank you for the birthday wishes. At the retirement party, we knew most everyone, and they sang Happy Birthday to me. One of the little kids asked how old I was and my delightful grandson, Ian, was happy to share! :lol: The mother was so embarrassed. I took my afghan yarn to share at crafty club since I had made a mistake and ripped quite a few rows out the night before. We just visit, share projects, and have dessert and coffee or tea. We drove in rain yesterday almost half way to the game. It was cloudy and a slight breeze there so I was glad I had my winter jacket and a blanket. It was a fast game and I was glad! :yes: Some of the spectators only had on sweatshirts; the coach had on shorts! :eek: It made me even colder to look at him!

"Gma" -- I love the sock yarn you chose for yourself! :yes: I hope you like your haircut since your favorite gal wasn't there. That's sad about her fiance. Do you get your mammogram a month eariler or later every year? We have to wait a year plus a day. :dizzy: I don't think anyone would want to do medical screenings just for the heck of it. :no:

I have laundry going and hear the dryer buzzing. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening. Tomorrow starts a new week; October will be a half day short of being half over! :wave:

gma22 10-15-2012 08:43 AM

Good morning to you all! It is back to being chilly in the morning again, but hot mama here has the fan on anyway.

We had a fairly nice weekend. I was a total grouch yesterday because when I feel unorganized or stressful I get grouchy. I am under a time constraint with that sock, though I almost have the foot done and can do the final toe decreases, and I got behind on cleaning not having gotten the upstairs done yet. I was crabby to Jack so I had to apologize to him and tell him nothing was his fault, etc. He just asked me if I was ok. So, I hope to finish the sock and the upstairs today. Bless his heart he said he would vacuum for me this evening and I will run a dust cloth around things this evening then I am back on my schedule and everything will be fine.

Jean: The gal that did my hair was the girl who did my eyebrows and shampooed me last time. She did an excellent job on cutting my hair so until Becky is able to come back, I will have Connie cut my hair. I didn't recognize her at first though. Last time she had dark hair and this time she had it colored in bubble gum pink and creamsicle orange colors. It is that kind of shop, but they are so very nice and do some fine hair cutting for sure, though I still have to wrap my head around $60 for a haircut and tip. Jack just keeps reminding me that I get what I pay for and since I have always had trouble getting a good haircut because I have a couple of tough cowlicks and very fine hair, I have to remember they are well worth it and a cut of the same caliber in like LA would cost me two to three times as much. I thought the yarn was really cute. I am not sure I bought quite enough since I have large calves and long feet, I am going to get a contrasting color for the heels and calves after the yarn comes and I can see the different hues of color. This will only be my second pair of socks for myself. The first pair was the very first pair I made to see if I could knit socks! Those have kind of bumpy scratchy yarn so I don't wear them much, but I think I am going to start making myself more socks to wear for fall and winter months. I would bring along my knitting and join you at your crafty club if I lived close enough. Now you are crocheting your afghan, right??? Does she need it in a time frame or just whenever you get it done?

I broke my durn reading glasses this morning around 3 AM. I got up to go to the bathroom and came back and couldn't get back to sleep so turned on the light and was knitting. They were dirty so I washed them and broke around the bottom of the glass. I think maybe it had broken before and I fixed it with crazy glue as it looks repaired. I just glued it back again. I have another pair I keep in my handbag so can use those if need be, but I like having a pair at my chair for knitting, which is the only reason I need readers at all. Besides, these are cheapo kind you buy at Walmart or Target not optical shop ones.

I am down 8 lbs since we got home and 3 lbs for the week, which I will gladly take. :dance: I just have to keep focusing on the drill and how awful it is and stay on track. Jack and I do great during the week, but weekends are a killer for us. I got a certificate for a free bowl from Genghis Grill for my birthday so maybe next payday we will use it for our dinner out. Breakfast with Kelly was our treat this payday.

Everyone have a great start to their week! Faye

Maggie 10-15-2012 02:20 PM

Monday Monday

It is in the 50ºs right now but they say it will get up to the low 80ºs before this day is done. Feels a tad bit chilly in here this morning. At the museum sale the other day Will bought me the cutest snowman family. They are stand alone type. The man stands 42 inches tall and the woman stands 37 inches tall. The bodies are made of white bumpy plush that resembles snow. He is dressed in corduroy pants, black shoes, and has a vest on and a suit jacket and bow tie with a black felt hat and is holding a broom. She has a corduroy dress on with leggings and a sweater and jacket along with a neck scarf and beanie type wool hat. She is also holding a baby snowman that has a beanie hat and neck scarf. Her jacket and hat are of the same material as his jacket. They are so cute and since they stand alone are quite remarkable. I think Will said he got them for 3 bucks apiece ~ but from the looks of them when they were originally sold they were very spendy from just looking at the quality of their clothing. The clothes look like the real thing and the jackets are even lined. The broom looks like it is made out of shredded corn husks. Our animals all checked them out and thankfully are leaving them alone. They will look cute standing by the fica tree we put Christmas lights on that is on a table in the front room. I don’t know where these snow people came from originally but am happy to give them a home. I think they can stand in my office until the Christmas season is over then they can stand in a closet. :yes: They are across the room from me and when I look up there they are smiling at me.

I have decided that I don’t really need a big stand alone mixer and don’t really need a bigger food processor. I have a mandolin that slices things up quite nicely. I just need to get that pasta maker so I can roll out some bodacious lasagna noodles and ravioli. My bread machine can mix up the dough and I don’t need a larger food processor or mixer to do that job. I have a wonderful hand mixer with whip attachment blades that works just fine for what mixing & whipping I do. Look at the money I just saved by not buying those two appliances. Talked myself right out of it. :yes: We don’t eat a whole lot of pasta but when we do I want it to be a recipe that I can control. Homemade ravioli is so good. That is what started this whole thing ~ Will wanted me to make some homemade ravioli. :lol:

I know I am up in the weight department this day ~ too much birthday. I am back on track and will do better this week. That is my plan and I am sticking to it. Will has gone to pick up the dogs from the groomer and they will be clean for the afternoon. Well, Ragg Mopp stays cleaner than Beanie for he is not as exuberant. Beanie is just about two years old and still a puppy.

Will just got back with the dogs and lunch. He stopped by Subway and got me one of those new chicken sandwiches which is very good and I ate all of half of it for it was loaded with grilled chicken. :cp:

DONNA FAYE :congrat: on your loss. You really do great losing when you have your mind set to it. Reading glasses are so inexpensive now days in all types of degrees. :cp: I have a pair in each room I frequent here in the house and have a pair in my bag I take along to WW. Don't stress ~ it's not good for you. :soap: Easier said then done isn't it.:p That yarn you have for your own sox is nice. It is time you make some for yourself. :D Happy feet.

JEAN Aren't kids wonderful about revealing things. I remember once when someone asked my daughter what made her such a good little girl and she said, "My mother always counts to 3." That worked for her if she didn't comply whe she was asked to do something I would say, "I am going to count to 3" and she would say "Don't count me!" and then do what it was she was supposed to do. She never found out what would happen if I reached the number 3. She just didn't want to be "counted" for some reason. All kids are different and that won't work for all of them but it sure worked for her. She was a terrible two though. I have stories about that! :lol:

Jean 10-15-2012 07:21 PM

Good Evening, Flowers! It's been a beautiful fall day here -- sunny, NO wind, and 75 degrees this afternoon. Church counting took longer, actually it was the posting because the automatic bank contributions process on the 10th of the month. I picked up the gift shop money but will count that tomorrow. I had a meeting this afternoon and card club later tonight.

"Gma" -- :congrat: On the GREAT loss! You are doing so well. Weekends are hard for me too. Don't be grouchy, be happy! You will get the sock done soon! Cleaning will be there waiting for you when you finish. ;) I am working on the afghan; I just started the second skein, out of 18+.

Maggie -- The snowman family sounds cute! I got a kick out of your daughter's 123 story. That is a hoot. :lol: I hope you are pleasantly surprised at WW tonight. Good luck!

I need to change clothes and head to card club. Enjoy your evening! :wave: