Worldly Chicks go "Marching" With Gusto - And Igor

You're on Page 11 of 21
Go to
  • Sorry that I have been out of touch. So many sad things going on in the world that I actually feel guilty feeling good and excited about our plans and the new house.

Michelle- don't be getting down on yourself. You just have to be Gumby flexible about things. AND as we go through life, sometimes what worked in the past won't work now. I will swear to that.

As for the Flat Belly Diet, I did not realize there is a 4 day Jumpstart. I bought all the food for a week of sample menus and THEN I find out about the most restrictive jumpstart. You don't have to do that part of the plan!!!! It's like the Michael Thurmond 6 Week Body Makeover Diet. People put that one down (while Mel and I think it's a sensible plan) just because the 6 week kickstart is SO restrictive. That is designed for those people who want to lose 20 pounds in 20 minutes and so if they don't lose 10 pounds by the end of week one, they give up. The jumpstart is supposed to knock off water weight quickly and cleanse the palate of sugar.

I did start drinking the sassy water and I actually like it. Water with lemon slices in it gives me terrible acid reflux but I guess because this has calming ginger, I don't have an issue with it. My coworkers HATES the cucumber taste and I actually don't mind it. I make it the night before, fill up a couple of empty water bottles and drink it at work. I find myself drinking more water.

I can say that after a couple of days I don't feel the aches and pains I did as intensely as before. I think the sugar is inflammatory and the ginger helps calm that too. I wish it made my stomach calmer but this plan is also geared to low glycemic so I think that will help with the sugar. Yeah, it can be restrictive but like we talked the other day, I find the new WW plan restrictive too. More than ever before. I think you might be feeling a bit overwhelmed with having to deal with doctor's orders on your bronchitis and with DMIL coming to town again. Little baby steps Michelle. Make a couple of SIMPLE changes and let's just park the gung ho full head on blast for a little bit, ok? Just as you have to ease back into the every day routine, ease back into your plan again. Eat clean, walk 5 minutes twice a day if you can and next week add 2 more minutes. I keep reminding myself that people who have lost alot started by just walking 15 minutes a day and building from there - not rushing head on.

All kinds of alarms going on here - not sure if we are having fire drills or what's going on but I'd better be prepared to grab my purse and walk outside if need be. At least it's a gorgeous day.

Will get back to the rest of the Worldlies later tonight.
  • Morning all,
    Work is crazy at the moment. We have deadlines to meet and not enough people to meet them with. I'm trying to write doco, make simulations and sit through the S.I.T. testings and still get the lot done. The training manager is not happy with my progress, the team lead is pushing more on me. One of the blokes is at the meltdown point - don't go near him, he is contagious. I'm working longer hours again.

Haven't got much time for personals but.......

Michelle - You need to have your head in the right place in order to lose weight. You can't do that when you are still feeling sick and tired. I like Happy's suggestion of just walking. It is free and it does do you good. Go out there and think of how much distance you can achieve today. Tomorrow another couple of steps. It does work.
    Also I find that fresh whole food does the dietary trick as well. Forget the frozen dinners that contain piles of salt. Try fresh and raw if you can. Less calories, less cooking, more food in the mouth. I've never gone over 1400 calories when I am really motivated. (note to self - where is that motivation? did you stick that in the cupboard as well?)

Gotta go get on with the day. I will be back when possible to try to catch up with the rest of you.
  • Happy
    Good to see you posting again. Are you packing?

Michelle
    I agree with what Shad and Happy has told you. Don't worry about what MIL thinks about the clealiness of the house. I bet she would pitch in and help considering the circumstances. Feel better soon. Don't give up hope on the weight loss goals.
  • Good morning ladies,

It's off to the dentist for me this morning. You should hear the birds outside. It's like having a bird "sing off" - everyone is singing away, looking for a "friend with benefits". It's cool in the morning but in the 70's during the day. Too bad I'm cooped up in an office to enjoy it. Haven't started packing yet but we are setting some things off to the side for what we want to take on round 1 - coffee pot, aerobeds, towels, tools, etc. I think my DH is eager to move. Now. Today. Heck with this house.

Shad - it sounds like you are knee deep in the hoopla at work. You go like mad in short bursts. It's like your job is that of a sprinter. And then the contract ends and you get to catch your breath for a few weeks. Whew - not sure I could keep up with the pace. The company does not know (but I hope they do) that they have the best possible person for the job in you. I hope you don't get burnt out and get things under control soon. Good luck there mate.

Ceejay - good thing you got a pass on the drug test. They don't mess around with those. Usually not very understanding of extenuating circumstances either tho I'm sure they've heard lots of stories from cheaters.

Laura - I understand about the snacking thing. Especially riding on the train home - to me that was a habit as hard to break as late night eating. Finally I just dozed off (got unconscious) just so I wouldn't look for anything Maybe like they suggested, one of those 100 calorie snack pack things or a box of raisins or something. They make all sorts of stuff in 100 calorie packs - sweet and savory. Or how about something nice and stinky like salami to stink up the train car and annoy everyone? Geez I would hate it when someone would get on with a gyro with lots of onions. PEEEEEEEEE YEWWWWW. And they would be eating it like a ravenous wolf so you figured they probably had not had a chance to eat all day long so you didn't want to give them the stink eye for too long...

Mel - happy Walmart shopping. I'm so sorry they are cutting your little lifeline there. Just make sure they don't go hunting you down and taking advantage of you because you know they are going to miss you. The people in the office can pitch in a few bucks and pay you under the table - would be worth it for the extra help.

Michelle- I will make a renewed committment with you. My sugar numbers are creeping up - I too need to step up the exercise and give up the sodas. We can be accountable to each other. I don't think you are giving up - if you did you'd be typing you post with a big McD's shake in one hand and a box of HoHo's in the other and I know that's not the case. The weather is changing I think it's the end of the doldrums and hopefully a renewed spirit. I say you make 1 committment and don't give up on that. No matter what you will do that one committement for right now. Could be changing your eating or exercising or what. Pick it and we will decide tomorrow. Will be our first 30 day promise to ourselves. Ok?

Annie - I have the same problem with sleeping sometimes. Sitting on the couch I doze off and can barely make it to the bed. Put my head on the pillow and boom - wide awake!!!! or by the time I brush my teeth and wash my face - awake. Those nights I find I just slip 2 aspirin or an allergy pill to help get rested. As for the thoughts in the head, you need to divert that by doing relaxation exercises and get your mind quieted down.

Hi Ellen

Oh boy - gotta run. Later chicks.
  • Birds are singing here too!! Whew whoo...70+ degrees here today... think I will try to bug out early, go home a grill out, pick up the trash in the yard and play with Hella B, heck maybe even take her for a walk. That always boosts my spirits. So sunny, what an awesome day!!

Shaddie...be sure to save your doco every 2 minutes so you don't lose it...lol, may be a pain in the arse however beats redoing the entire thing. Stay away from the sicko's we have enough of sickness going through the Worldlies as is.

Happy...seems when I am in one of those "wake" times of night, not much helps. Relaxation exercises..hmmm there is that word again..exercise...lol. I am pretty sure I just think too much and try to analyze and resolve all the time. I would feel the same way as your DH on the new house and not wanting to do anything with the old one.

Ceejay...so glad you are feeling better today. I say we have at least one day of each month when all the Worldlies feel great. Starting with Chelle...

Mornin' to all the Worldlies..Chelle, MELLIE, Ellen, and anyone else I may have missed.

OH AND BY THE WAY....I am going to BOB SEGER on May 7, with girls from CVS...EXCITED!!

love and hugs
  • Oh and Missy Laura.....hidee ho to you too sista!!
  • Morning all.

Annie - The Adjustment Bureau was entertaining enough - but I suppose some diehards would try to pick apart the logistics of how the guys that are the "adjusters" do what they do. But bf and I both enjoyed it, and so did the other 3 of our group. One of them is gaga over Matt Damon, so we know she'd like it (and wouldn't fall asleep during it as she sometimes does during other movies, LOL). Enjoy Bob Seger! And you and Happy are right - I need to be sure to have an appealing snack ready for the train ride home to keep me from picking up the junk!

Ceejay - Glad you feel better. Will the drug test be rescheduled again?

Happy - A restrictive diet isn't for me, though that sassy water sounds pretty tasty. Now that it's getting warm, I'm sure I'll start getting back my taste for fizzy water with fresh lemon squeezed into it. So refreshing! I still need to research the DASH diet. I have a Borders gift card to finish using up - I wonder if they have any of the DASH books in stock at the store. The one by us is shutting down and is having a clearance sale. LOL re the people and their stinky food on the train. I feel sorry for them - I honestly don't get how people don't make time to eat. Sure some jobs they can't break away from to eat, but in most they can squeeze it in sometime. I just prefer they don't do it on the train!! You know, I don't know how you can even concentrate on work or anything else with this move and retirement coming up!!!

Shad - Sorry the job is crazy at the moment. The whole team needs to take a short break each day and do something to de-stress. I agree with you about the fresh foods - I'm pretty sure that's what that DASH diet my doc recommended is all about. And I like that it's simple too - grilled meat, steamed veg, fresh fruit, etc. Well, I like the IDEA of it - in reality I'll be rebelling against the though of no salty snacks and sweets. Just hope the brain could win some of the battles.

Hellos to Michelle, Ellen and Mel!

Today's sunny and mild and I'm definitely getting out at lunchtime since I didn't get out yesterday. I leave work a bit early today to get the EKG the doc wanted. Should be plenty of time to get to my circuit class tonight.

TTFN!!
  • Good morning ladies -

Thanks for all the words of wisdom and support. You chicks mean so very much to me. I call y'all my Worldly Sistas...and I do love ya' like sisters.

As of 7:00 am...

I still haven't decided about WW at Work...and the clock is ticking. I have until noon today to decide. I've never really successfully counted "calories" before. I've either used food exchanges, or WW Points. I know that logic would dictate that if I can count points, I can count calories, but will I? Now, don't go grabbing for the , I'm doing enough of that myself. I'm just so torn...and yes, so overwhelmed. And I'm not really overwhelmed about my DMIL's visit. I'm just not feeling very strong physically or emotionally..and I have lots of doubts that I can succeed at anything at this point.

As for the Y, on the 25th, I'm meeting with a good friend, who is also a Personal Trainer (and Zumba instructor) at the Y. We're going to discuss health, weight loss and exercise. If I decide to place a hold (or cancel) my membership, I need to submit the form 10 days prior to my April 1st billing date, and since the meeting with the trainer isn't until the 25th, it looks like I'll be keeping my membership through April. If I'm feeling up to it, I'm hoping to try a water aerobics class next Monday or Wednesday. I do have to ease back into exercise. Right now, because of being laid up for 3+ weeks, my muscles are shot. I had great difficulty walking last weekend...it was very painful. And DH and I are planning on going to a Gem, Rock and Fossil expo this weekend, and the thought of all that walking (and pain) is worrying me.

Later this same morning....

Okay...feeling better now. I told my friend/co-worker who has been encouraging me to sign up for WW that I'm going to pass on it. I also talked with the Nurse/Registered Dietitian/Wellness coach at my company's Wellness Center, who specializes in heart healthy and blood sugar healthy programs, and she is going to work with me one on one...meeting with me every week, which will be nice to have a little more personalized attention/coaching than I would get in WW, and it's free. I've been working with her off and on in a group setting for 2 years now, and she knows my health challenges as well as the physical issues I've been dealing with the last year. She recommends a few individual sessions so we can talk about the "head"/"heart" part of weight loss/getting healthy to get me in the game.

Starting today, I'm going to shoot for a calorie intake of between 1,300 to 1,400 calories...which is what she suggested, with plenty of lean protein, healthy carbs (including veggies, fruits and whole grains), low-fat/non-fat dairy, and healthy fats (MUFA's).

I feel optimistic because there are SO many free tools online. And I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders now that I know I won't be shelling out $185 for the 17-week WW program, but that I still can and will be following a program that includes journaling, and I'll have FREE one to one support from the Wellness Center (who will work with my physical therapist). I'm not feeling so overwhelmed.

Annie - Thanks for the vote of confidence! You rock, my dear sista friend. Enjoy the sunshine!! Yay for the Bob Seger concert!! He's awesome!

Laura - How was the Adjustment Bureau? Like you, I LOVE exercise classes with fun music and moves and the group setting. Right now though, I can't participate in them, and that is so frustrating! I have a hard enough time with walking right now, though I am going to try and go for a short walk (5 or 10 minutes) today during lunch because it is so gorgeous and warm outside. Interesting that the times you crave snacks are when you going to/returning to work. I think packing a snack for the train is a great idea...baby carrots, string cheese, or FiberOne/Special K bars would be good choices. Good luck with the EKG and have fun at the circuit class!!

Ceejay - Nice that you got out of the testing. I hope that the doctor appt went well.

Happy - First off, I want to tell you that you should NEVER EVER feel guilty about being excited, thrilled or even happy! We LOVE to share in your good news and excitement!!! You're not only moving into a new house, but a new retirement lifestyle, and that's WONDERFUL!!! I like your thoughts about baby steps, even if it's just walking 5 minutes twice a day, and gradually building up. I hope your dentist appt went well. I was up and on the way to work before the birds woke up today, but I hope to hear them at lunch time and this afternoon when I get home. As for the renewed commitment for 30 days...I'm all for that. I'm sure I won't be able to keep up with you in terms of exercise, at least not now. I'm going to make two commitments for the next 30 days: (1) give up sugared soda; and (2) keep daily net calories between 1,300 and 1,400. I say daily "net" calories because when I can exercise for 30 minutes daily, I MIGHT allow myself to go slightly over the 1,400 calorie limit, but for sure not over 1,500 cals.

Shad - You're right about getting my head in the right place. And I think that's why I was feeling so overwhelmed and pressured about signing up for WW (since today is the sign up day), and I felt like if I chose not to SIGN up then I was just GIVING up. Your idea about fresh and raw sounds great. I'm all for less cooking.

Melli - I hope you had a fun trip to WalMart and found some good bargains!

Lots of love, hugs and appreciation to all,
  • Ah Michelle - I'm so delighted that you have found something that is completely acceptable to you And it sounds like a good plan. A couple of years back when the chiropractor screwed me up so badly and I was twisted and in terrible pain all the time (and unbenowest to me - going twice a week to reinforce that pain with adjustments that made me worse instead of better) - I got to a point where I truly understood how having some bumps in the road can really knock you down. And it's hard to talk yourself out of those moments. I love the idea that you can meet with a coach to help you through this. Please share any good ideas with us! I understand also about counting calories. I thought points were on a bigger scale and I can do this but calories - that's SO TEDIOUS!!! Especially since I like to eat different things all the time. The calorie counters I know who were successful basically ate the same stuff over and over again. And I like fresh stuff, not packaged so you have to figure calories all over again. BUT then I stopped myself. Maybe I was looking for an excuse not to do it. I remember in WW - they said to compile a list of 1 and 2 point foods to build your meals around. Maybe it's the same thing with calories. Look up some basic fruits and vegetables, know your portion sizes and work from there. Ok whew not so bad after all I am totally with you girl and as for me beating you on exercise, I think not. Right now I'm doing nothing so anything is an improvement!

Just got called to look at an emergency fix at work. Will check back later...
  • MICHELLE....THAT'S NOT GVING UP. IT'S GETTING WISE THAT YOU DON'T NEED TO SPEND MONEY ON SOMETHING WE REALLY ALL KNOW HOW TO DO. IN THE END, IT'S CALORIES IN AND CLAORIES OUT. WITH SOME FORM OF EXERCISE IN T=BETWEEN. EVEN IF IT'S A SHORT WALK, OR PEDALING, SWIMMING OR STRETCHING. YOU'LL GET THERE WITH YOUR DETERMINATION AND THE BETTER WEATHER COMING. GIVE THE BODY A CHANCE TO CATCH UP AFTER BEING DOWN FOR SO LONG A TIME. BEEN A TOUGH WINTER FOR YOU MY LITTLE CHICK.

CEEJAY....GLAD YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE THERE. HOPE THE DR APPT WENT OK. HOW ARE THE NEW SINUS MEDS YOU BOUGHT WORKING?? JUST CURIOUS!!! I WAS THINKING OF TRYING SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

ANNIE....GOOOO DEEEVA!!! ROFLMYAZZOFF ;rofl: I WAS HYSTERICAL LAUGHING. IT JUST STRUCK ME FUNNY. OMGTOO CUTE. I LOOKED FOR BELLA'S GOODIES BUT NO DICE!! MAYBE NEXT TIME I'M WITH YOU ON GETTING OUTSIDE AND GETTING SOME FUN & SUN CHEER ME UP TIME!!! WE BOTH NEED "CHEERFUL" RIGHT ABOUT NOW MY FRIEND

HAPPY....I LOOKED AT THE FLAT BELLY DIET ABVOUT A YEAR OR MORE AG. A FRIEND WAS DOINGIT AND I THOUGHT IT WAS A VER SENSIBLE PLAN. SHE DIDN'T DO THE JUMP START THING EITHER AND L;OST WEIGHT. I WAS GOING TO MAKE THE SASSY WATER AND THEN FORGOT ALL ABOUT THE PLAN TILL YOU MENTIONED IT THE OTHER DAY. THANKS FOR THE REMINDER. I ALSO READ PART OF THE BOOK I BORROWED FROM THE LIBRARY....OR WAS IT 2 BOOKS?! I FORGET NOW!! YOU HAVE ALL THE RIGHT IN THE WORLD TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOUR NEW PLANS & NEW HOME. YOU BOTH WORKED VERY HARD FOR THIS! DO ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT REGUARDLESS OF THE NEWS ON TV. I AM EXCITED FOR YOU!!

SHAD.....DID YOU CATCH UP TO US YET??? HOW IS YOUR WEEKEND LOOKING THIS WEEK? I THINK I AM OFF. WAITING TO HEAR SOMETHING FROM ONE OF THE BOSSES ABOUT WORK OUTSIDE?!?! NOT ME....TOO CHILLY YET FOR SITTING THERE I THINK I CAN CALL ABOUT 3:30 ON MY SATURDAY. GOT PLANS FOR YOUR SUNDAY MORNING???

LAURA....HOPE THE EKG WENT WELL AND LOOK AT YOU WITH THE BE!! GO LAURA. I FIND I AM STARVING AT 4:00 WHEN THE OFFICE IS CLOSING. I CAN BARERLY MAKE IT UP TO MY APARTMENT TO EAT SOME DAYS. I WAS ALWAYS EATING IN THE CAR WHEN I WORKED. BREAKFAST IN THE CAR IN THE AM AND SNACKING COMING HOME BUT THOSE WERE THE DAYS WHEN I WAS SKINNY

WAVING HELLO TO ALL OF YOU. HOPE EVERYONE HAD A GREAT DAY.
    I WENT TO WALMARTS BUT DIDN'T REALLY ENJOY THE TRIP THE WAY I USUALLY DO. SOMETHING JUST DOESN'T FEEL "RIGHT" TO ME. NOT SURE WHAT IT IS BUT SOMETHING IS WRONG. FEELING VERY "DEFLATED". IT'S TIME TO BEGIN SCHEDULING SOME DR APPTS FOR THE UPCOMING MONTHS. I HAVEN'T BEEN OUT TO THESE DRS IN ABOUT 3 YRS I THINK....COULD BE LONGER. MAYBE I JUST NEED A GOOD DOSE OF GERITOL TO GET ME GOING AGAIN
    ONE MORE HOUSING MEETING ON TUESDAY AND THEN NONE FOR ABOUT A MONTH I HOPE iT'S ALL ABOUT A NEW BUILDING & HIRING CONTRACTORS. THANK GOD I ONLY HAVE TO VOTE ON ISSUES AND NOT MANAGE THEM I AM SURPRISED THEY HAVEN'T FOUND A WAY TO "GET ME THERE" BY NOW!
    I NEED A HOT SHOWER, SOME FOOD & REST SO OFF I GO. HAVE A GREAT NIGHT.
  • SORRY ABOUT ALL THE TYPOS....I SEE A MILLION OF THEM AND TOO WEARY TO FIX THEM

AND I ALMOST FORGOT............

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!
  • Happy - As for the chiropractor, I had a similar experience. I used to see one to help with neck alignments for the treatment/prevention of migraines. I'd go in with a migraine, feel better once adjusted, then 1/2 hour later, I'd be in pain again. I feel like I have been knocked down...and it's hard to keep this girl down, but that's where the prednisone did it's number on my emotions/attitude. I'm looking forward to the one on one assistance that the coach will provide. As for the calorie counting...I've been looking at some of the free ones online, including FitDay, SparkPeople and one I just found today My Fitness Pal. Of the 3, My Fitness Pal has LOTS of different foods in its database, even some unusual brands, which is great. And the database is easily searchable.

Mel - Thanks for the kind words that I'm getting wise to not spend money on stuff I already know. DH and I were talking about it last night, and he really helped sway my decision. He asked me what could I learn from Weight Watchers that I don't know already. I said, well the points are calculated differently. But in the grand scheme of things...my brain knows what to do. Calories in versus calories out, like you said. It's just getting my heart and body to follow. It has been a tough winter for me and lots of us. But Spring is just around the corner! I'm so sorry that WalMart wasn't fun for you and you're not feeling "right". I hope you get in to see the docs soon and they get you feelin' up and at 'em again soon. Have a nice, relaxing evening.

Less than two hours 'till time to go home. It's been a really stressful day at work, and I am SO looking forward to relaxing! And I'm thrilled to be working from home tomorrow, which means I can sleep in until 6:15 or so...just so long as I have enough time to stumble out of bed and turn on the laptop before 6:30!!
  • Michelle - I have the My Fitness Pal app on my iPhone and it is very easy to use!
  • Laura - That's good to know, as I just installed it on my Android phone...and it seems to sync up to the data I entered online today just fine.
  • Morning all,
    Get these done before the office wallahs come beating down the door. Hey man, I was actually employed as an instructional designer not a tester! Hey man, why am I fixing your typos and grammar in a document you HAVE ALREADY distributed to the bigwigs upstairs? Hey man, why do I have to do a 5 min dissertation on what I have been doing all day with testing when really man, who the **** cares - they are only worried about their own.

All that aside, I am actually enjoying this job - believe it or not. They are mostly fun - and I have scored the best team I think, compared to what the other trainers seem to have to put up with.

Anyway - can't do a lot of personals, so forgive me for that.

Mel - hope the 'it's not right' feeling goes away real soon. Sorry you didn't enjoy Walmart. Never mind - you can always stay at home and play with your toys!!!

Michelle - Now you are getting your head in the real space. Try to find a recipe book which has already counted the calories for you - all you have to do is find the ingredients - and if you work your shopping list right, and plan the weekly menu you can group together things that need the same ingredients - green leafy veg don't last too long in the fridge unless you grow them yourself. Speaking of which I had my first home grown tomato this morning. Oh yummmmm.

Happy - be happy, haven't you worked long and hard for this move. Haven't you spent some years doing things you hate just to get to this point?
    Don't make me come down there

Hi to Laura Ceejay Ellen and our Annie I'll try to get back to you all later. Mean time it is Friday morning over here and a whole weekend in front of me. Yeee haa