Old 10-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #1  

Default I really need some help today, its really just not a good day!!

Omg, I cannot believe what happend today when i stepped on the scale, 248??!! I mean i know ive havent monitored the scale like i should have the last few weeks but this is a major set back and ive been sticking to my diet and excercising regularly and the weight seems like its been pouring off, everytime ive stepped on the scale before ive lost three and four pounds at a time, now im three freaking pounds heavier than when i started my whole diet!! What is the deal? Im so ready to just give up. So ive been researching all morning for a new diet or diet supplement that will help me at least get back where i was, but i have no idea what i should do, any suggestions?
biggiefries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #2  

Hi biggiefries hang in there girl, your just having a bad day. Believe me, we all have them. I went through the same thing, working out like crazy and watching what I eat and than wham the extra pounds just showed up out of now where. I thought WTH is going on here. Hang in there girl, keep working out and eating right and soon you'll see the results of your hard work.
fitnessdiva044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

If you are sticking like glue to your plan, then you should be loing. Perhaps it is TOM or something else that appears to show a gain? Or are you completely on your plan?

I'm not much help, I'm afraid, but I wanted to give you at least a hug and a response, and tell you to remember this is the weekend, so if you don't get a lot of replies right away, don't give up just yet, k?

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It doesn't have to be a major setback unless you choose it to be.

Some people find it discouraging, but I have to weigh every day to stay on track. However, I don't look at "staying the same" as failure either. For me, "staying the same" is a major success, and even gains of up to two pounds aren't a setback. If I saw staying the same or even small gains failure, I'd be wanting to quit all the time. Every month, I gain up to 10 lbs of water weight with TOM (I know it's water weight, because I'm monitoring my food in my journal. If I'm not eating off-plan, the only logical explanation is water-weight. Especially since if I stay on plan those 8-10 lbs disappear as quickly as they came).

I don't know if you are experiencing a water-gain or if you truly regained some weight. It doesn't matter unless you make it matter. This isn't "starting over," it's an opportunity to learn. Maybe you need to weigh more often and more consistently (maybe there's something else).

I find that I do best when I weigh daily, as long as I don't look at staying the same or even minor gains as failure. I have to see staying the same as something to celebrate (and not just in the "it's better than a gain" way), and minor gains as something to be expected.

Remember you're mountain climbing here, if you slip it's not in your best interest to throw yourself to the bottom of the canyon.

Large losses "pouring off" is almost like an addictive drug high. It feels so awesome, that anything less than that peak high feels like a low. I truly believe (it's certainly been true for me) that in the 40 years I've been dieting, I never quit a diet because I was failing. I quit because I felt like failing when I was actually just succeeding slower than when I started. Having lost 11 pounds in one week (once or twice in my life), made losing less than apound (or less than 5 even) like the worst failure - every bit as bad as gaining. And an actual gain (even if it was TOM water gain that I knew would go away if I stayed on plan) felt like a knife to the heart.

I chose to see failure. It was my interpretation of the scale results, not the results that warped my sense of success.

You aren't failing, you're learning. Just maintaining the attempt (not quitting) is success, because most people do just give up. If you don't give up, you're already winning.

Last edited by kaplods; 10-30-2010 at 04:04 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 208.8/186.8/128

Height: 5'3"

kaplods, I think you gave terrific advice and in site regarding gaining and losing wieght when you are trying to lose weight.

I too find it very beneficial to weigh myself daily. When I don't, that is (for me) the starting point of potentially letting my dieting (eating to lose weight) slip away from me.

Instead of saying dieting or eating to lose weight, I used to say "eating right", but I am on the Ideal Protein (IP) plan at this time and it definitely is not an "eating right" program; it is an eating to lose weight program. (If you are not familiar with IP it is a higher protein, little fat, little carbs, and no fruit diet - well it for at least the first 80% of your targeted weight loss amount.)

The chiropractor who is in charge of the IP program where I go for weekly monitoring and discussion of my diet said something very helpful to me regarding whatever a someone's favorite food is and the company that makes that particular food... "_________ is not going out of business. They will still be in business when I/you reach the point of being able to have it again."

Mary
mtrchristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 325/270/125

Height: 5'2"

I agree with everyone else. I think you should wait a few days and see if the scale doesn't budge. Evaluate your eating and exercise and if it isn't that TOM, then you might consider alternative methods than what you're currently trying. Just keep your head up. We all have these issues sometimes.
fatgirlonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:39 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitnessdiva044 View Post
Hi biggiefries hang in there girl, your just having a bad day. Believe me, we all have them. I went through the same thing, working out like crazy and watching what I eat and than wham the extra pounds just showed up out of now where. I thought WTH is going on here. Hang in there girl, keep working out and eating right and soon you'll see the results of your hard work.

Hey,

First off id like to say thank you for responding and giving me those up motivating words they really helped me out because i was kinda on edge lol. Also i read your diet blog and the things you say are very helpful and uplifting and one thing in particular that you were talking about caught my eye, it was a weight loss supplement and I believe the name of it was "bnew" and and the way you spoke of it made me more and more interested in researching it, and you seem to have a little bit of insight about the product so if its not too much trouble i would be very happy if you contacted me back and gave me more additional information about the product. I look forward to hearing back from you and again thank you for your response it was much appreciated. Ttyl

Paula.
biggiefries is offline   Reply With Quote