Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 270/270/150

Height: 5'5"

WardHog - I actually got the idea for the diuretic from Jillian Michaels. She suggests drinking a water mixture to reduce water weight. The mixture is:
60oz water
1tbsp unsweetened cranberry juice
2tbsp lemon juice
1 dandelion root tea bag

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any dandelion root tea, but I did find it as a capsule, so I opted for that instead of nothing. Dandelion also helps with digestion.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #47  
mtiger

S/C/G: 251.5/177/145

Height: 5'4"

Wink Good Morning

Good job Bumble and Foucault on getting moving and eating right. I have been getting extra cardio these past two days as it won't quite snowing here in Mich. I have been shoveling for the past two days, plus I am alternating a cardio workout with a curcuit workout. I am really trying to eat more. I know that sounds funny, but yesterday I got up to 1270 calories.

I've been doing this for 5 days now, no progress in the weight department so I was really depressed this morning. I did notice that my curcuit workout was easier to do yesterday and even added a few reps. So that is at least encouraging. This is where I start to lose steam, when that stupid scale won't budge. I know I need to stick with it, but come on throw me a bone. A pound, a 1/2 pound, something.

Keep up the good work everybody. Stay strong and motivated.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #48  

Weight loss is a funny thing. I remember there being several times when I would be staying the same or even gaining for a week or so, the suddenly and with no apparent reason *bam* three pounds gone over night.

I wish it were a steady, predictable process. But it simply is not.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #49  

I agree with you, Annie. It took me a while to accept the fact that our bodies don't necessarily do what they "should" do when I'm trying to lose weight. I think if my body turned extra calories into fat overnight I'd not be in the situation I am in now! I am pretty sure that if the scaled registered a couple pounds the day after devoured chocolate cake out of control I wouldn't have been cocky enough to devour chocolate cake out of control AGAIN. But, the fact of the matter is that there is rarely IMMEDIATE rhyme or reason to how we gain or lose weight...but I can always count of my body to respond accordingly eventually.

I was packing my lunch and got irritated by all the planning that is involved with counting calories (the only way I've ever been able to lose weight) and then I noticed how full my lunchbox was. I suppose that is the trade off...I am always amazed by how much food it takes to add up to 1600-1800 calories when it is the RIGHT kind of food. So, now instead of being put off by all the planning I'll remind myself that I'm actually eating MORE than before and still losing weight...not a bad payoff for a little bit of time and effort!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:08 AM   #50  
go on girl!

Thanks foucault and mtiger for the props. I hope y'all are feeling good about your progress. I got through another day on plan. It was a near thing at the grocery store on the way home from work though. I had to stop and get a few things for a yummy soup I wanted to make and I was really hungry. My head did turn a few times walking through the bakery and deli, but I remained aware. Each temptation I came acrossed I concidered "Will that taste good enough to justify blowing my whole day of efforts to be a better me". The answer was always "no, you are just really hungry and at the store, don't be foolish." I'm not made of steel though, I did "sample" one maple covered peanut. But my soup was fanastic, tomato barley w/carrots and mushrooms, and tasted so much better than all of those ready made foods with three times the calories.

I wish you all strength to make it through tomorrow if you struggle, sending out good vibes for all.

Last edited by bumble; 01-03-2008 at 01:09 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #51  

Height: 5'7"

Hello,
I missed getting to the board yesterday. We had a snow storm and it seemed to take all my time and energy to get to work.

I am happy to report that I have been staying on plan and that I got a small notebook to carry in my purse so I can journal that food right away and not get behind and then just not do it. I know that I must in order to meet my goals. It's one of the tools that works for me when I work it.

I feel that I'm lucky in the fact that I love to workout. That comes so easy to me. I've only missed one day working out this week and that was Tuesday. I like working out when I can go to the Y. I'm not one to work out to much at home by myself. In the warmer weather I like to walk outside but I don't like working out inside my house. I think it's because I'm such a social person and even if I don't talk to anyone when I go to the Y, just having people around me doing the same thing is what I need.

Tonight will be my TOPS weigh-in. I hope the scales go in the right direction. I've made up my mind that no matter what they say, it's just a number and a place that I'm starting from. If they are up--and they could be because I don't really know how much I gained in the week that I didn't weigh and I ate everything that my heart desired,--that will become my new starting number and the next week it WILL go down.

Have a good day everyone and let's continue to choose what we want most and that's to be thinner and more healthy and to be happy with the way we look.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #52  

mtiger - Glad to hear the workouts are getting easier on you! That's just as important as what the scales say.

Tealeaf & Lucky - I know what you mean about the scales being wonky! If only I could get a direct reward/punishment from them after I eat right/wrong. I'd eat right all the time if that were the case.

bumble - The grocery store is my enemy, too. I'm very good about just getting what I need in most of the store, but my head does turn when I get into the bakery and deli. It's the yummy smells and the fresh bread. Well, that and the donuts in the case along the wall. ;-) I'm glad to hear you managed to avoid buying unnecessary items while you were there. If you don't have it, then you can't eat it.

Susie - Glad to see you got a notebook to track your food intake. I'm like you - I can't lose a pound if I don't track my food in a diary. I went a year without tracking my food and I lost a big fat zero pounds.

As for me, I'm doing well. I packed my usual breakfast and lunch today. They're combinations of fruit and veggies with cereal (breakfast) and a sandwich (lunch). I'm thinking about making some homemade vegetable soup. That way I can control the sodium, calories, and fat grams. I just need to find a thermos that I can pop in the microwave at work. Does anyone know of a good brand?

I did some strength training yesterday with five pound weights. I made sure to work all the muscle groups and even did some crunches and whimpy-girly push-ups using my knees. I also did about twenty minutes of cardio (a kickboxing video) before I did the weights. Surprisingly, I'm not sore today. I felt the burn yesterday evening, but I'm a-ok this morning. Today is walking for about 40 minutes (2 miles). I'm looking forward to getting some fresh air since it's supposed to be about 50 degrees here today. Winter is tough for me since I'm cooped up in the house whenever I'm not a work.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #53  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Hey guys! I went to the gym today for a Group Ride class and 45 min of additional light cardio. I stuck to my food plan yesterday and I am on track today.

I know what you guys mean about wanting some feedback from the scale. I am still sitting at 161.4. :sigh: I might not be drinking enough water, but it's hard to do when it's so cold.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #54  
mtiger

Wink Weigh in day

So today is official weigh in day. Last Friday I was actually up to 243 and today I am at 241.5, so I've lost 1.5 pounds. I have to be happy with that. That is actually a good weight loss for a week. I must be doing something right. I am doing some type of workout everday and trying hard to get that calorie count up. I'm getting around 1300 a day. That is tough, since I feel like I am eating all day long. Since I am a teacher I have been off for almost two weeks. That has made it easier for me to plan meals and keep track etc. I will have to work a little harder next week when I go back to school. But I am pumped and excited so I know I can do it.

Stay strong and keep your eye on the goal.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #55  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Congrats on the loss, mtiger. Keep up the good work!

I did a Group Power class and 45 min of cardio today. I stuck to my eating plan yesterday and I am on track for today.

My weight remains the same.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #56  

I am happy to report a .75lb loss. Not great, but then it's a loss so it's in the right direction. I guess I just need to wake my body up a more by fueling it and working it out.

I'm having trouble today with staying away from chocolate. I'm nervous about a situation with my hubby's job. Now, why do I think that the chocolate will make it better? I've not gone overboard but I didn't want to have any to start with. I know that if I'm not careful the sugar will set me off into a binge and I don't even want to go there!

This is going to take some self-talk, and journaling to get through.

It's so inspiring to come here and read your posts and replies.

Keep working hard everyone...our efforts will show!
Old 01-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #57  

Susie and mtiger - Good job on the weight loss! Any pounds or fractions of pounds you don't have to worry about is wonderful news.

WardHog - How do you like the gym you go to? I've looked around and requested information from several gyms, but I'm still on the fence about whether I'd like to join on not. Right now, I'm lifting dumbbells at home on the same day that I do a 20-25 minute cardio kickboxing video. I walk every other day and both Saturday and Sunday. However, sometimes I can't walk due to cold weather.

My scales were still at 230 yesterday. I definitely shouldn't complain because last Thursday they were at 232. I sneaked a peek on Monday and the new number was 230, so that's what I put on my ticker to make myself feel better. So, technically, I lost two pounds in the past week. I just jumped the gun on updating my ticker. I am sooooo looking forward to 220's. I haven't seen them in quite some time.

I eat my breakfast and lunch at work, and I'm trying to come up with good, healthy meals to bring with me. I'm a vegetarian, some I'm limited on a great deal of food that involves meat or chicken broth.

I found a recipe for Tuscan vegetable soup that looks delicious. It yields 12 small bowls of soup with 138 calories, 3 grams of fat in each bowl. Or you could double up a serving and have a large bowl of soup. Anyway, it sounds like it would be super tasty with some whole wheat rolls. I found a recipe for some whole wheat dinner rolls on the net, too. They're only 89 calories and 2 grams of fat each. I was thinking of having the soup/rolls for lunch because I found a neat little thermos by Aladdin at Target. It's completely plastic with a small spoon hidden in the lid. You can put your food in it, microwave it before you leave home, and it will keep your food warm for up to four hours.

For breakfast I've been having cereal, fruit, and yogurt. If anyone has any recommendations on ideas for a fast and portable (and HEALTHY) breakfast/lunch, I'd love to hear. I'm the type that likes to cook several portions on the weekend and divide them up for eating during the week.

As for exercise, I got in my 20 minutes of cardio and my weight lifting today. Tomorrow (weather permitting) I plan on taking a nice, long three or four mile walk with my dog.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:24 AM   #58  
go on girl!

Its sounds like everyone is staying strong through week one. Good, good.... I think that's good. I am trying to keep an eye on the prize an not forget what I'm about. I am doing well though. I was a little shaky this afternoon. Have you ever had a meal that was so disappointing (yet expensive at the same time) that it actually made you hungrier than you were before you ate? I did this afternoon, and I was so mad that I wasted the calories. But I didn't give in and go through a drive thru. I though about it, but I didn't do it.

Congrats to everyone who has lost this week!

Last edited by bumble; 01-05-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #59  

Well, for the first weigh in of January, I was under 180. Only by half a pound, but I'll take it.

Man, I want to burn through the 170's so bad!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #60  
mtiger

Wink Good Morning

Congrats Mychoice and Tealeaf on your weight losses. I know that sometimes it doesn't seem like much but we have to be happy that it was a loss. Also good job to all those that are sticking with their plans and eating right, avoiding those fast food places and working out. I have been so faithful, I haven't missed one day of working out in some way or other. Over Christmas break I've been kind of stuck in the house and am feeling the need to get out and go shop or something. If I go to the mall I will have to avoid some of my faves like Auntie Anne's pretzels. Can I do it? Since we have so much snow here it will also be a good place to take a brisk walk.

Does anyone have a motivating outfit set aside that they are aiming to fit into? Last night I bought a new winter coat. The x-large was just a wee bit tight so I went for the 1X. Wish I had been brave enough to buy the smaller one with confidence that it would fit perfectly soon. I so want to fit into smaller clothes, but I will also be happy to just have my current clothes not feel so tight.
Closed Thread