Old 04-16-2007, 06:09 AM   #136  
loves kleenex box art

Jeez. A maggot. That wasn't supposed to cheer me up now was it?

Not to worry. George and Sugar and on the job.
Cowpernia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #137  
loves kleenex box art

Bagz, is that the baby picture that won her the scholarship? This girl is SO BEAUTIFUL that if she were a celebrity, she'd be called "The Most Beautiful Woman in the World."

I know I've told this before but it sticks with me as an example of motherhood. When I visited Bagz, this dd wanted to go to the mall to meet friends. She couldn't drive so Bagz took her out there. As she got out of the car, she instructed Bagz to be back at a certain time .. not to be late. Bagz agreed then, after the girl was gone, said to me, "Like I'd leave her here by herself." That girlie and many of our kids don't realize how precious they are to us. We don't need reminding to take care of them and they take it for granted so easily.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:16 AM   #138  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

I actually think that maggots can be QUITE cheerful. It's all in the perspective, I imagine. One must get rid of those preconceived notions and irrational dislikes, and be open to how very nice a maggot can sometimes be. I say, give them a chance. They often try very hard to be pleasant and considerate and caring. One truly shouldn't be so rigid in his/her attitudes toward them.

I, of course, still dislike Imus. On second thought, calling him a maggot is terribly unfair to maggots. I am officially rescinding my allegation.

I am tremendously impressed at George Clooney's letter. I had no idea....

Good grief, Schatzi!!! Are you BURIED in those books? Come out and say hello, fahgoodness' sake!

My birthday is coming up. My children are harrassing me about what I want. Why is it that *nothing* is so completely unacceptable? A nice card and some flowers? They can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that anything I want, I just go ahead out and get for myself. What else do I have to do? They're all grown and gone. I get them stuff, too. I LIKE getting them things that I know they need and would like to have. I may have mentioned - or you may just generally know - that the cost of living here, which is where three out of my four kids lives (the other, as you also know, is out in L.A., where the cost of living is even HIGHER) is downright horrific, so with their mortgages, heating costs, transportation costs, etc., etc., and raising my grandchildren (except for DS who has none yet, thank GOD!) they often don't buy much for themselves - just like I didn't, when I was raising them. Now I can and do - and I love having dinner or brunch or lunch or whatever with them, but expensive gifts that they will have to pay for over the next six months on a credit card are just NOT NEEDED!!!! How do you explain that so your kids GET it????

Pouring hard, here, but the marathon is ON. Good luck to 'em. I'm staying tucked in, warm and cozy...may even have a nap.

Have a good day, all..

Ellabella
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #139  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpernia View Post
Jeez. A maggot.
WHO ARE YOU CALLING A MAGGOT???????????????
Kiwonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #140  

Well, Kiwi, my DD has been throwing up due to pregnancy. We're having a wedding on June 23rd. I didn't tell her to - that didn't work out so well the last time I told someone they should get married......... but I am sure that your DD just has cramps..... don't want to freak you out........I'm freaked out enough........she's 27, you'd think she'd have things figured out by now......

Peachez, what a trial you've been through...... hope DS recovers quickly and has no other problems....

Hi Leenie, thanks for the

Sugar's gonna pose more often. She said so. What are you posing for m'dear? Home remodelers weekly? Expat daily? Bi-lingual ladies home journal? Canadian-German Gourmet?

Trainwreck signing off here..............
Wabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #141  

Oh, on the Gpa Jim front ---- my sil has picked him up from the nursing home and has moved him in w/ her ----- she's called to say that "this is way more complicated than I thought it was going to be" He needs diabetic care -- testing, insulin injection, feeding him within 30 minutes of injection, other meds at certain times of day....... and he still can't walk by himself...... I don't know what it was that she expected-- I tried to talk him into going on medicaid and moving into an assisted living apartment, but he'd have none of it.... He did feel good enough to tell me his physical therapist at the nursing home was "absolutely gorgeous" and "built like a million bucks"........ at least his eyes are still working. I think his care will be too much for DH's sister in AZ to handle. I'm trying to step back and let the sil's work it out.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #142  
Member w/ messiest house

Okay, I know who was called a maggot, I was taking it personally for fun. Of course a maggot is after all a dead-flesh-eating larvae, so that might be slander. In any case, here's a good read that I just happened on in the NYT (but you have to subscribe to read it there; this is a free link). Some of you will enjoy it, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
expensive gifts that they will have to pay for over the next six months on a credit card are just NOT NEEDED!!!! How do you explain that so your kids GET it????
You could do what my mother in law does and take everything given you back to the store. It's not that she dislikes the things we give her, she just "doesn't need them" so she returns them. Then she gives the money to her grandchildren or buys them something, and sometimes she just gives us wads of money in a birthday or Christmas card. It is a bit trying, but she's a love so what can you do?

Nobody ever asks me what I want for my birthday, except for my mother. And she makes me go through catalogs over the phone until I find something she can buy me. Family - what can you do? If I were you I would ask for flowers specifically (as opposed to "Oh flowers or a card or something"). I love it when people give me flowers.

We now have 3 inches of slush and it's raining. You wouldn't think that slush would hold up, particularly on an incline, but our driveway is covered with slush too. I almost slipped and landed right in it while coming down the driveway from the mailbox. And there is a lovely layer of mud under the slush. Fortunately I managed not to fall, but I sure got wet out there playing with the dog. What a mess. Crappy day for a marathon, I should say. Usually it's pretty nice for the race, it seems.

Quote:
my DD has been throwing up due to pregnancy.
Oh my!! Just what you needed, more turmoil! I hope they aren't marrying just because, y'know? Hope it's more of a good idea they just needed a reason for. Yeah, I know, wishful thinking, but .

No, I'm not worried about that with my DD, but I am worried about cramps getting so bad as to lead to throwing up. And not once, but half the night. I'm making her a gyno appt for when she gets out of school next month.

Must go. Need more coffee

Kiwi
Old 04-16-2007, 07:56 PM   #143  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

WELL,!!! EVEN IF IT'S A DRAG HAVING MORNING SICKNESS,I AM EXCITED THAT WABBY IS GETTING ANOTHER GRANDBABY!!!!! i was in my late twenties having the dd's so it's good timing!!! i am sorry she is feeling like crap though,cause i do remember that---AND i am glad someone else is getting a taste of gpa jim and his care issues--maybe some appreciation will waft over to you wabs!!!! ----unfortunately i turned on the tv a little earlier and i am in shock about the Virginia university massacre----it is impossible to imagine---all those students and their parents are in some kind of **** today----if we can pray----let us manage to.
Bagzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:43 AM   #144  
loves kleenex box art

I have been up all night barfing from a migraine. Am only posting to say that Ella is full of it.

Precious moment at work that's sticking with me. Read a book called "Do Pirates Take Baths" to the kids. Each page poses a question and answers it with a 6-line poem. They enjoyed answering the question before I read the answer but one page asked "How to pirates sleep?" They sleep, it said, in hammocks in the bottom of the ship and dream of their mothers. Pictures showed rough old pirates dreaming of round-faced mommies. They kids stared it this like it was a real live puppy. I held it up especially long and two of them could not contain themselves ..... they had to jump up and hug me.

I'm kinda excited about the grandbaby, too. Grandbabies who get Wabby are lucky lucky lucky. I watched an adorable movie this weekend called, "The Castle," about these Australian rednecky sort of people who lived in an "eyesore" that the government wasnted to take so they could expand the airport. It's all sweet and all the family members love each other and everything is expressed in endearing terms. (Even when the dad call an attorney "You dickhead" in court, he's attempting to console on a loss.) Anyway, the narrator, a 14-year-old boy mentions that a new addition came to the family when his brother's baby was born. "They had a nice wedding four weeks later." I don't know why I'm repeating them. Am delusional from migraine.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:18 AM   #145  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
I have been up all night barfing from a migraine. Am only posting to say that Ella is full of it. ....... Am delusional from migraine.
I don't think being delusional as the result of a migraine is what prompted your analysis of me, dear Cowp. MANY before you have noted just how full of *it* I am...full of wisdom, humor, caring and compassion, that is. I think it's admirable the way you were able to recognize that, and make note of it - I'm honored, actually - despite the pain.

Hope you feel better soon, incidentally.

Congrats, Wabby....I sure wish I could get myself a new grandbaby! My youngest is five now, and I'm missing that sweet new baby smell.

Y'know, Kiwi, I may just start returning gifts and using the money as you described. What a GREAT idea!!!!

Have a wonderful day, all -

Ella
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:05 PM   #146  

My new avatar is a Wabby "before" picture.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:19 PM   #147  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

wabby!!! you like like a child star from the sixties!!! how adorable-----my newest pic is from when dd was on the johnson and johnson baby calendar.
Bagzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #148  
fatter than U

Cool

I cannot compete with cutie patootie baby pics. All my baby pics are on the other side of the Atlantic, or Pacific, or whatever. I am keeping my puffy hamster for now.

What happened at Virginia Tech is simply shocking.
SugP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:54 PM   #149  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabby View Post
My new avatar is a Wabby "before" picture.
That is beautiful!! You look a lot like my DD in that photo. See?
Quote:
They sleep, it said, in hammocks in the bottom of the ship and dream of their mothers. Pictures showed rough old pirates dreaming of round-faced mommies. They kids stared it this like it was a real live puppy. I held it up especially long and two of them could not contain themselves ..... they had to jump up and hug me.
Wow. Don't you love the emotional honesty of little kids? I love those picture books that really have something lovely to say. It's almost too bad that we put them aside after a few years, isn't it?

Is there going to be a duel? Peachie, I thought you had kicked migraines with herbs or vitamins or something. What gives?

I got some cheapo kitty litter recently and it is very heavy on the perfumy dust when you pour it in the pan. So now I can't get that smell out of my nose, and worse, apparently I smell of it all over because DH commented on it. I'm going to sneeze.

I finished my Easter Candy. Somebody make me stop eating.

Kiwi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1990BlueCoat.jpg (46.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #150  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugP View Post
What happened at Virginia Tech is simply shocking.
I know, I can't get my head around it