Old 01-16-2007, 05:54 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #3

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's cold here too! The sun is shining, but the thermometer says it is 3 degrees outside. This morning our thermometer said -17 and the TV said -13; the car said -13 on the way to school. Either way it was too cold! We were sure spoiled by the mild November and December. Today was another SSDD at school. I get so tired of trying to talk kids into doing their assignments; I tell them to put an much effort into doing them as they do making up excuses and they would be done in the process.

"Gma" -- I just had to at your WARM 28 degrees this morning! I know it seems cold to you when you are not used to it. Right now that would feel like a heat wave here! Thanks for the email . . . I will check out the site. For some reason my badge always turns backwards, which is fine with me! I look like an old hag . . . worse than my driver's license picture any day!

Susan -- I have been thinking of you and Stan. A calendar quilt sounds interesting! What colors are you using for it?

I need to scoop out the litter box and pick up the junk mail. Have a nice evening and a wonderful Wednesday. Another week is flying by.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:58 AM   #2  

Good morning gals! Don't notice the time stamp. I think I didn't get enough water yesterday and feel a bit crampy so I decided to take a couple aspirin and come downstairs for awhile, do my morning chores and maybe knit for awhile and see if I feel a bit better. Nothing serious, just a bit of discomfort.

Susan: I sure hope they can get Stan up and going well again. You have just had such a rough year. I applaud you on how well you are doing with Curves.

Jean: below zero! I don't think I could stand that anymore. I thought yesterday was freezing. It is 26 here right now and I am cold. We keep the furnace down if we can, but the last couple days I have been so cold I turned it up some in the daytime.

While I am waiting for my dd's yarn to get here, I started my top and decided to do it on circulars to see how it would turn out. It is such a simple pattern it should be ok. I just checked and looks like my yarn for the baby sweater will be here today as well as the yarn to make the sweater, hat and booties for our baby to go with it's blanket that it may get for high school graduation at this rate. I bought 3 sets of double pt needles too since Joann.com was having a big sale. I need to get my needles and stuff organized so I can find stuff a lot easier. It is a mess at the moment. I also checked and it looks like my yarn for my dd's sweater should be here tomorrow so I will have lots of yarn for projects. I will get the baby sweater finished first then put my top aside and get the one for my dd working since I owe her a Christmas replacement present.

Everyone keep warm today and have a wonderful Wednesday!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:47 PM   #3  

Hi, ladies - I'm here in the tropics - 38 degrees and I'm about frozen. Hate the cold air - it makes my asthma flare.

Jean, my quilt is a red, green and gold metallic print, gold for the frames and an white with tiny gold specks for the background.

Not much going on today - my quilting bee meets tonight and I'm going teach them a new way to applique.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It supposedly has warmed up! Actually it is above 0 but the wind is blowing hard from the south so the wind chill is hanging right at 0. The sun is out so that is good. Not much newsy from my corner of the world today. I have bell choir practice at 6 and need to make a grocery run afterwards.

"Gma" -- You will be knitting in your sleep with all of your projects! I hope you are feeling better by now. We keep the furnace turned down during the day while we are gone. Our last heat bill was $150 and it wasn't all that cold so I'm almost afraid what the next one will be.

Susan -- Enjoy your quilting bee tonight! Your quilt sounds very pretty! I would love to see it when it is finished.

I need to make my grocery list and fold a load of towels. Have a relaxing evening and a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 01-17-2007, 05:44 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Arrow I'm Back

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNONIAS

I got back on line much quicker then they first said ~ A YEAR. Anywayy it got all straightened out and they did some more drops out here and here I am once again.

Don't have time to type much but just HAD to come say HOWDY to my cyberfrieds.

Type at you later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:39 AM   #6  

Good morning ladies. I seem to be right as rain now. I think I am going to have to get something like Beano to help with gas as that seems to be what it was I guess. I am eating much more fiber and thought maybe my water was the problem even though I was drinking at least 64 oz, but it seems to be gas.

Our Maggie is back! Great to hear from you Maggie!

Susan: I'm with you! I don't like this cold snap either. It was supposed to warm up here to 50 yesterday and didn't get out of the 30's. I can't ever seem to get warm when it is so cold anymore.

Thought you might like to see the baby layette complete as a set. I got the yarn yesterday afternoon and finished up the sweater last night. The yarn I bought for our baby's set matches the blanket perfectly even though it is a different brand and type. I didn't do a lot of knitting yesterday as I really did feel under the weather the whole day. I hope to make a little progress on the blanket from **** today.

Jean: Thanks for the crochet site. I got tickled reading about the lady having containers in her truck with yarn in them. I belong to a knitting forum and there are several male knitters there. One of the men is a truck driver! He took up knitting to have something to do when he had to sit in his truck and wait for whatever reason. He has his picture as his avatar and is this big strapping bearded man with a pipe. He really loves it as do all the men that post there.

Well, I need to get my morning chores finished so I can shower when Jack gets up and get the upstairs straightened for the day, get outside and get my exercise in as I missed it completely yesterday and maybe have a better day than yesterday was.

Have a wonderful Thursday gals!

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #7  
Web Nana

Hi All!

And a big welcome back to Maggie! Glad you are finally connected.

Faye! That baby set is so cute and I bet you can hardly wait to see him/her in it.

Jean, I think you have sent your cold weather this way. Winter has finally reached us. Yesterday in didn't even get in the teens.

My good news is that I had another appointment with the eye doctor yesterday and it has been a month since he put me on two different meds (eye drops) for my glaucoma and it worked! For the first time the pressure in my eyes had dropped 7 points and that is a good thing. He won't need to see me for 4 months and if it keeps up I will be thrilled.

I am in the middle of laundry, again, but I just wanted to let you all know the good news.

Gloria in MA
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:51 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining, but the wind is blowing like crazy. The loose snow is beginning to drift in places which makes driving a bit tricky. It's a good night to stay home! Nothing new nor exciting from Iowa. Tomorrow is an early dismissal at 11:30; I have a project to do for a teacher so will work an hour or so longer. She's come up with the idea of math and English worksheets, in individualized folders with score sheets, for study halls where kids say they have nothing to do. I'm supposed to monitor these yahoos and still be available for the ones who are actually working and want/need the help. Not my idea of a good time for me!

Maggie -- Glad to see you are back with us!

"Gma" -- I'm glad you are feeling better. I've threatened to buy Beano for Bob and he thinks I'm kidding. He says that's a natural part of the aging process! The layette is such a neat gift and something they can hand down to the next generation. I think it is nice that men knit! When Bob was little his grandma taught him how to embroider.

Gloria -- What wonderful news about your eyes! I'm so glad the new eye drops are working so well. I'm sending the cold wind your way; I've had enough!

Hope you all have a relaxing evening and a fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 01-19-2007, 01:01 AM   #9  
Thin Within

Arrow

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

I have been busy this afternoon downloading necessary up dates for this computer. I have been off line for a week and it is amazing how much up dates were required for protection. I showed a loss of 1.4 at WW this morning for which I am graeful. Quite grateful in fact.

FAYE When a body gets a lot of fiber it isn't used to ~ it rebells. One must slowly introduce fiber into the system and let it gradually get used to a little more and more each day. That, my friend, was told to me by a medical person so I give it to you for free. That baby outfit is simply precious. You are definitely a professional knitter!

GLORIA How nice for you that those eye drops are working for you. Isn't it great you don't have to visit that doctor now for months.

JEAN Burr that wind is going right through me. That is what I dislike most about cold country ~ the wind. I so so glad that they now make wind breaksers that are wind and water proof and breathe and are light weight and warm. Love the new technology they are putting into clothing for inclimate weather. Don't have to wear "woolies" any more.

SUSAN Your quilt sounds quite lovely ~ I second the motion to see a picture posted when it is finished. I am thinking about doing some quilting on sweatshirs and some bead work on top of that. High falutin' kind of stuff. Ouch with the asthma in this weather, poor you. My sneezing and eye moisture kicks up and I use a lot of tissues.

Everyone sleep well and wake up refreshed to face FRIDAY. Does the time go by fast for ya'll like it does for me? This month is already over half gone and I don't know where it went.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:31 AM   #10  

Good morning flowers! I doubt most of you are blooming much, but hibernating might be a better word. We are at 33 degrees right now so that is better than in the 20's I guess. It still makes for a chilly walk and wearing a hat, I end up when I get home with a wet head from sweating. It is too cold to do without it though.

Gloria: I am so glad those glaucoma numbers are going in the right direction. Good for you and the doc that is getting the meds right on.

Susan: I agree. We just have to see your quilt when it is finished. I guess because I order so much yarn online, I got a quilting supply catalogue the other day!

Jean: I read your post last night and kind of chuckled at it and Jack asked me what was funny. I told him what you said and told him I think you ought to just give it all up and retire. It is getting ridiculous to work there anymore.

Maggie: Thanks for the advice. I try and have cereal one day, egg beaters then yogurt than back to cereal etc., but I think the veggies contribute too and I am trying not to eat potatoes or rice at dinner and eat veggies instead so that may contribute to the problem. I am sure it is going to right itself.

If you remember, I told you the yarn I got for my dd's sweater knitted up like velour so I sent it back. I reordered this gold color, got it yesterday and it is the color of Cheese Whiz, the only way I can describe it. Yellow, but lots of orange in it. That is a definite no so it goes back and I do it again. I found a great varigated greens, tan, cream color I may buy or may just go with a nice camel color. I have never had so much trouble with yarn before. It has always been pretty true to the color card.

I have the hat and booties knitted in yellow for our baby and am on pattern 7 of the blanket. I figure if I can do one pattern a day and stretch it out so I don't get tired, I can finish the darn thing in about 2 weeks or so and still have lots of time. The hat and booties are even cuter in the yellow and the pattern comes out more prominently I think. I am starting on the sweater when I come back from walking this morning.

I did a mini spring cleaning and we will finish up this weekend with cleaning the upstairs carpets. I removed and washed my bedskirt and took my comforter to the cleaners and had them launder it because it is too big for my washer. Sheesh! $30 to launder it. Ahh well, it needed to be done and now is all nice and clean. I haven't put it back on the bed as I change sheets on the weekend so will put the skirt and comforter back on when I change sheets because I need Jack's help to remove the mattress.

Everyone have a good Friday and a great weekend! Hope we get some warm up.

Faye
Old 01-19-2007, 11:46 AM   #11  

Hi, magnolias! Cold today! I'll put a picture of the quilt on when it's finished but it won't be a fast project - I do it by hand.

Sun is shinning but it's only 41 degrees at noon! Cold for here.

My jeans are feeling looser and I think I could probably move down a size. Maybe I'll just try a pair on to see. I've been trying to work a little harder at Curves so maybe it is paying off. If I could just figure out a way to keep my top as the bottom gets smaller...
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I worked until 2 and decided to quit because I had some questions and the teacher I was helping went home sick. The pile will still be there on Monday I'm sure. The sun is shining brightly and it's 25 degrees outside; it feels like a heat wave! We are supposed to be getting more snow this weekend. I was hoping to see the kids and grandkids, but will wait and see what the weather does.

Maggie -- There is NO wind today and I think that is why it feels so warm. It's the kind of day one could really get spring fever after being cooped up all winter. If it were a tad warmer I would open windows for a few minutes just to get some fresh air inside.

"Gma" -- Retirement does sound inviting but I have to keep reminding myself that I have 100% paid health insurance plus a paid $15,000 life insurance policy; Bob is pretty sure I will have a hard time getting health insurance because of the different bp meds I am on. I've been on several different ones over the years because they work for awhile and then don't work. I just read in the paper where they want to increase full retirement age to 67! I have NO intention of staying at the school that long!

Susan -- Congrats on loose jeans! Enjoy your quilting this weekend.

Bob just walked in the door so I best get a move on. Hope you all have a relaxing weekend.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 01-19-2007, 08:37 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Arrow Evening

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It is just after 5 pm and it is 55 degrees so I haven't a complaint about that. I made 450 post cards to be delivered in this little valley as a welcome and an invite to a Chili and Soup and etc, etc patio party we will be having in February. It will certainly be interesting how many do come. Will is going to be driving the stage coach tomorrow as a trial run. When the place opens up in the Spring there will be hold ups. I think I will take a ride in it as a passenger. What fun it will be when they get the rodeo arenas opened up and going. We will certainly have to keep Ragg Mopp on a long lead here at home. He loves to go over there and hang out with the horses.

FAYE Your system will get used to your new routine and be happy for it. Our bodies love fiber. Sorry about your yarn woes. That color is certainly a far cry from orange. I also did a mini spring cleaning ~ of the clothes closet. Since we live in a motor home it isn't very large but does have storage shelves in it and places on the floor for "stuff" that is necessary but doesn't need to be out to be used on a daily basis. Like I have a little sewing machine that lives in that closet and my Christmas village and other few decerations. I got rid of some clothes that I have shrunk out of because I won't ever be that size again. I like to go through that closet every once in awhile and reorganize it some and make sure everything in it is used.

SUSAN How many sizes of jeans have you shurnk out of? Isn't that a great feeling to have your clothes feel looser. You go girl.

JEAN I bet you are so glad that the wind isn't blowing. I agree with you about opening windows. I love the cool fresh breezes of spring. How nice that you got to leave school early even though you will have to pick up where you left off on Monday. But you have a whole weekend before you have to go back. Hope the snow that you get falls nice and easy.

Well folks I will say for I am going to go make dinner now.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:15 AM   #14  

Good morning gals! It is still chilly this morning, but it is getting better during the day a bit. I just wish it would warm into the 50's and I would be happy with that!

I finished the sweater set for our grandbaby. It is knit in one piece from the neck down and I am ssssssooooooo dumb! When you get to the place where the sleeves are knit, you knit a certain amount of stitches, put on holder, knit some and leave on needle, than transfer the rest to a holder. The ones on the needle are the sleeve and you follow the directions and finish the sleeve. Anyhow, I had the sleeve FINISHED and off the needle and had a brain puff and thought I had knitted the front as the sleeve so tore the whole thing out and discovered I had the sweater turned around when I had looked at it and just tore out the sleeve! Boy, how stupid can you get? I redid the sleeve and did the other one and finished what is left of the back and fronts, which are all on the needle together. I have one more set of these to make, but I have a bit of time as the girl's baby isn't due until August. I am leaning towards white this time, but we shall see. I don't like to knit stuff gender for baby's because then if the person has more children and the opposite gender they won't be able to use it for that child and I want my stuff used until it falls apart or until they put it away for their kids to use or whatever. I got the nicest email from my niece yesterday. She had helped me decide on a color for her mom's sweater for her birthday and I had sent her a picture of it when it was finished. She talked a bit about that then said she had given all of Luke's clothes to her sil for her new baby because it is going to be a boy, but she kept the outfit he came home from the hospital in and my baby blanket. She said she would never let anyone have that and that Luke loves it. I told her it was nice that she thought so much of me that she would do that. I bought the wildest yarn, actually it is more like a ribbon, for a summer vacation top. I started the top just to see what it would look like and I love all the colors. I have pink, yellow, white capris that will go with this top when it is finished. If it seems too sheer to wear alone, I will buy a white tank to wear under it I think. It is sure different than knitting with yarn, though

Jean: Join AARP and buy their life insurance policy. No health ??? and it is a $10,000 policy. I pay $35 a quarter for it. I know that isn't much, but it will bury you, at least. That is what I have and there is no way with my size anyone else would insure me. The health insurance, I can't help you with! I just feel for you as I know the job stopped being enjoyable a long long time ago.

Maggie: Sounds like you are going to have a great party! Are you plannning on doing the cooking for a possible 400 people???? I clean out my closet from time to time too!

Susan: Here's hoping you can go down a size!!!

I need to get out and walk, but I have to get my body moving a little first and work out the kinks! Terrible thing when you can't just jump out of bed and scurry around anymore!

Have a great weekend gals!

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Arrow

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a bright sunshiney day here and I am going to have an OP day. I look out my window and see that the neighbors dog (down the way) has gotten into the trash and it is strewn over quite a bit of land. Thankfully isn't a bag of "ours" but Will is going to pick it up for our friend. She has 4 dogs and we have the one and none of them bother the trash. The lid was on the container and Boo got it off. Poor thing probably doesnt' get enough food at home.

FAYE OH that isn't our private party. I made the invitations for the church. We will not get all the 400 or so to come but probably will be like the 1% like the experts say respond to such an invitation. I hope there will be more come but you just never know. I do plan on making a huge pot of chili and also a pot of chicken noodle soup. (Everybody at church will bring some also.) Along with some bread and a desert. If there are any "left overs" we plan on giving them to the guests in plastic containers to take home. The party we had at Christmas time was fun and we had a good turn out in the Summer for our BBQ. Our building has a huge covered front porch which makes a great place for a get-to-gether.

That is so nice of your niece. What you make will last for years for sure. I remember when I was 4 years old one of my dear aunts made me a croched natural color dress and I loved that so much. My mother made me different colored slips to wear under it and so it changed the look. I had natural, blue, pink, yellow and white. Plus she made satin sashes to match. I was stilin'. When my cousin got to be 4 it was given to her and she saved it for her daughter when she had children. There are pictures of all of us wearing that dress. Your projects will live on for years to come. Sorry about your ripping out that sleeve. I think all knitters have had that experience... me included.

Well I think I will go and do something useful. Will has gone to drive the stage coach and I didn't particularly want to ride in it today! When it warms up I will go for a jaunt. Not everyone gets the chance to ride in a stage coach do they. I can't imagine they are very comfortable. Yikes, bouncing around on those hard seats. I may ride shotgun up top with the driver. Now that would be a sight to behold.

Type at you later