3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Home of the Loozing Floozies, #08 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/101068-home-loozing-floozies-08-a.html)

vouge09 01-07-2007 05:35 PM

lynn- thanks so much when a problem comes arise I know who to ask , I think i am still figuring out if I want to stay here and get my associates at community college and masters at uf or if I am going to go straight to univeristy , I am aching to get ou of this town but I also know how much I could save staying here. so yeah its a pro con sort of situation and I have like 2 years to decide. That hand thing too is amazing!

I have so many things I want to major in not to mention right now I really want t travel and I am considering planning on joining the peace corps for a while. All I want to do is make a diffrence in pepoles lives, I want to help pepole , so I really wanna travel too see and expereicne other cultures so i wanna go into the peace corps and i know some colleges give your college credit for spending time in the peace corps. I would like to spend some time in Ghana instructing about aids and teaching english and I want to spend some time in the carribieen too.Like in Fiji and Samona I dont want to go to the middle east that I wont do , I am not even considering there, btu I would love to do some work in africa and fiji live with the pepole the way they live and help them have easier lives .Its tough but I know the diffrence I would make. I know its all vollenteer work , if I could find a way that I could save money( in america like stocks or something) for a few years while i am in the peace corps I could come back and finish college with money saved while I made a diffrence in pepoles lives. So I am still figiuring out what I want to do.

You know last year I wrote an essay for a contest about what i could do to change the world? And I worte about hunger in africa and how I wanted to help it , I had a teacher proof read it and you know what she told me ? She said that it was all fine and dandy but she didnt think they would beleive that a teenager really cares that much to give up nice chlothng and electronics to go live in a villiage with no runnign power or water without getting paid. I took my paper from her and said you know what? I dont think they would belevive that a teacher would try to discourage a student from trying to solve the problem of aids and hunger and I left proofread it the best of my ability and won 100 dollar savings bond for 2nd prize in the contest.
So this is something I am commited too. I dont know does anyone know anyone who has sereved in the peace corps? I belevie in solving the world problems with ideas and communication and coming together not guns and bombs.

ShelleyM 01-08-2007 05:42 AM

Vogue-Keep on getting good grades, work on getting high scores on your SAT and ACT, and you will be able to go however far you want to. You have a strong will, and committment. Good for you! BTW, Becky was accepted to UF, but we had already given all the deposits and everything for USF. She really likes it there, but I think she would have preferred to go to UF. The only problem with them is that they don't have many grants available. You will need to find scholorships on your own, which I'm sure you won't have a problem doing!

Gayle-I agree with the meal thing. Just be there for them if they need anything. That's about the best thing you can do, in my opinion.

vouge09 01-08-2007 09:48 AM

shelly- Yeah , well I am hoping to get accepted to this journalism camp at uf this summer , I know I will get in , I am going to stay at the college for 10 days in a dorm and stuff so i will see how I like the campus. I was considering fsu cause its a bit cheaper than uf but they dont have strong journalism program I dont think , see if your daughter knows anything about journalism at fsu if ya dont mind.

coles 01-08-2007 09:57 AM

Gayle - I agree with everyone here. Just try to be there for support and do the little things that come naturally to you.
Maybe they will be receptive and maybe they won't. It is hard for anyone to understand the pain they must be going through.
Welcome Katy! You will find this a wonderful group of gals.
I have been on program for a week and have lost 3 pounds. I am very positive and just taking one day at a time.
Dee - hope you are feeling better.

ShelleyM 01-09-2007 05:43 AM

Vogue-I'll ask her. She was also accepted at FSU when she applied. It is supposed to be a very good college too.

Yay, Janice on the loss!!

gdeann 01-09-2007 08:24 AM

CONGRATS ON THE WEIGHT LOSS JANICE!

Have you girls heard of Ellie Krieger? She had a show the other night on the food network. I think it was called 10 days to a new you. She had three people following her eating/exercise plan. She believes in small steps and changes win out over doing something one can't stick with for a lifetime. Her thoughts on preparing a plate: 1/2 of the plate filled with veggies, 1/4 with protein, 1/4 with starch such as rice/pasta. I tried looking on the food network site to see if I could find her list of suggestions, but it only has a few recipes etc from the show. She suggested whole wheat products, brown rice, etc. It really was an interesting show. I think it airs again this week. Try to watch it if you can.

SuzyMc 01-09-2007 03:15 PM

Gayle ~ Sounds like good common sense stuff! I'll have to check the TV Guide and see if I can find out when it airs again.

I fell off the wagon again...it seems like I do great and stay OP for a few days and then all of a sudden I'm shoving everything I can get my hands on into my mouth. I don't know what is the matter with me!

alinnell 01-09-2007 03:40 PM

Good afternoon, Floozies!

Gayle~that sounds a lot like a book I just got, Bob Greene's new diet book (I don't remember the name of it, but there is a link to it on the 3FC's homepage). It has a lot of small things for you to change one at a time to make the diet a lifestyle change rather than a diet. I bought it hoping to find some magical help that will spur me to lose these last 10 pounds. Although it is straight forward and good advice, I've already done most of it!!!

Suzy~I can't seem to stay on, either. I've been really, really good at getting my exercise in and I've been eating really, really good meals, but I just can't get my weight to budge (or at least, if it budges and I move my ticker, then it goes back up). I've been logging and keeping my calories low and I gave up red wine (only 2 glasses so far this month, and only 1 bottle in the house~but it's not a good brand so it isn't tempting me!). I've decided to really cut fat~even the good fat~to see if that helps....its so frustrating!

vogue~FSU reminded me of something I read a while ago.....the students at Fordham University have a chant they do at games....makes it sound like they are swearing, but it's just their school's initials (FU)! LOL My DH has a friend who joined the peace corps. He and his sister are still at it~20 years later!

gdeann 01-09-2007 11:23 PM

Thank you for all the advice dealing with the death of my neighbor. We ended up taking food over and they were receptive to talking and wanting some help. We made it to the viewing, but I wasn't able to make it to the funeral. I will try to check in with her every few weeks just so she knows someone cares. Such a sad situation...

Suzy & Allison, you girls have did great so far! Try to stay OP and you will be reaching goal in no time at all!

I'm staying OP & "Gazelling" daily.

ShelleyM 01-10-2007 05:35 AM

Vogue-I talked to Becky. She thinks UF's journalism program is much better than FSU. She suggested you go online to their websites. They have tons of information on the college sites.

Gayle-Go for you on gazelling! I haven't heard of that show, but I don't watch food network as much as HGTV.

I've been okay on my eating this week. I am having hot flashes quite often right now and hope they taper off soon. Patty's 17th birthday is Saturday. I have already given her gift to her, so I don't think we are going to do anything special. She wants to go out with friends. We may do something Sunday.

Lynneye 01-10-2007 09:14 AM

I am going to visit my Dad for a few days. Haven't seen him in over a year! Also will get to play with my niece who is two and a riot. Will be good to see everyone. I will check in when I can while out there, but not sure how often that will be! I will be back sometime Sunday.

4myloves 01-10-2007 09:17 AM

Debbi--have fun with your dad!!!!

4myloves 01-10-2007 09:17 AM

Please stop!!

A new thread has been started!