Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Old 03-19-2006, 12:51 PM   #1  

Default anyone read "potatoes not prozac" or "your last diet"?

I found these books when I was looking for sugar addicts info. Have any of you read them? They have some of the same concepts as sugar busters but are different enough that it may not be your thing here.
Just wondering what you thought of the books and ideas, and if you think the diet has any merit. I looked at the online community for the book,and thay seemed really wierd and cultish to me...it turned me off a little bit. I'm sure that I am a sugar addict, but not sure which philosophy to follow. Thanks for any thoughts
MNmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:32 PM   #2  

Default Sugar addiction

Hi -

I have read "Potatoes not Prozac" and also own "Your Last Diet". I have been getting E-mail newsletters from the author for months in order to learn more about the program since I know I am a sugar addict.

I was about ready to start the program since I believe it has some validity, but I had a hard time with "step one" which required me to eat 42 grams of protein for breakfast. That was almost impossible for me to do, as I don't eat pork (thus no bacon or sausage), don't like eggs very much and can't gag down a bunch of protein powder first thing in the morning. Also, step 2 says that you are supposed to eat 3 meals and day and nothing in between, and after all the reading I have done about eating 5-6 smaller meals in order to keep from getting ravenously hungry, that just didn't work for me.

Anyway, the program has a lot of research behind it, and seems to work well for a number of people, but it does take a lot of time - going through the steps in order can take months - weight loss is not their priority, following the steps is.

Hope that helps a little -

Laelle
Laelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:48 PM   #3  

I have heard of them, but not read either one. Potatoes are a high glycemic food, so they are not ok for Sugarbusters, unless they are sweet potatoes!

A high protein breakfast is very good as it sets the pace for the liver for the day. I have read another book, Mastering Leptin, which says eating inbetween meals taxes the liver and in the long run does not help metabolism. When I follow the no snacks, three meal a day idea, it takes a few days to get over being hungry all the time (which tells me something is wrong...I KNOW I don't need the calories!) and be able to go from meal to meal without any problems. When I follow it, I lose better than when I am snacking and eating frequent small meals.

MNmama, I don't know what all you have tried, but I do find Sugarbusters to be very helpful for my sugar addiction.

If you want more opinions, come join the Sugarbusters group over on the support board. That is where most of us check regularly. Just reply in the weekly support thread. Here is the link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:42 AM   #4  

interesting. i looked at the potatoes not prozac diet as i have a lot of trouble with insomnia and the potato before bed is supposed to help you sleep better and be calm. i am definitely a sugar addict but i honestly don't think i can give it up (she says while munching her 3rd choc bar)
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote