Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Old 09-26-2004, 11:11 PM   #1  
Growing Boys Into Men

Default Curious about SB

My husband and I are both very overweight. I need to lose about 180 and he needs to lose about 130. We are currently looking at differnet plans and researching to find the one that will work best for us. Just a little about us. I am a SAHM to 4 boys under the age of 9. He works a regular full-time job in front of a computer all day. We also need a plan that is not going to cost us an arm and a leg but has great results. We are not looking to lose all the weight over night or in a year. It took years for us to get where we are so it will take a long time to lose it also. So tell me what you think we should know about SB. I do own the older and newer versions of the books as well as the cookbook.

Plans we are currently researching...

SugarBusters
South Beach
Fat Flush
Atkins
mommiematters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:11 PM   #2  

Default You're Probably in the Right Place

Hello - I also have 180 pounds to lose, and have just started SugarBusters. I am relatively new to the plan, but this is my experience and what I know:

I lost about a pound per day on Atkins, a dream come true, but I felt TERRIBLE and couldn't stick with the plan. South Beach made sense, and I lost about 2 pounds per week, but I did not like the food. The recipes to me were very sophisticated, and did not taste good, so that didn't last. Fat Flush I have never heard of (strange because I have been in the diet culture for 35 years now).

Now for Sugar Busters - I love this plan. I feel great, and at my weight and age that is saying something. Finding food is not a struggle, the food is familiar, and there are not many restrictions that affect me (no bananas and no potatoes being the only downers). Plus it makes so much sense I feel absolutely stoopid when I read the book - "eat whole grains, fruits, vegetables...." DUH! I couldn't figure this out for myself? As far as your kids go, this is what they should be eating anyway. I have two teenagers who, in their toddler and small child years, were fed the ultra low fat, high carbohydrate diet that was the style last decade. My beautiful daughter is now obese, and my still growing son is normal weight, but now at 14 has learned from mom how to be obsessed with food and how much of whatever is in it (when he was 4 years old: "Mom, how many carrobyrates are in this milk?"). I rue the day I ever heard of low fat. Healthy eating should be about eating a wide variety of healthy food, and shunning fads and extremes. That is what this plan is about and I recommend it highly. (By the way when I stick to the plan I lose about 2 pounds/week without exercise. I was off plan for 10 days during a family vacation, and just felt horrible, but that's another saga - my point being it is normally easy to stick to.)

Good luck with whatever you choose - hope I was of help! -Ruby
therubyslippers!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 04:54 PM   #3  
Hip & fit but... chubby

Wink Fat Flusher

The Fat Flush Plan was what allowed me to lose 27 lbs after years of yo-yo dieting and only getting bigger and heavier. I have been maintaining and now I'm getting ready to start again and lose 20 more. I tell you, that plan really works. Why? because it doesn't target just one or two aspects of weight gain, it targets all of them, be it an overworked/fatty liver, stress, food sensitivities, etc. It really covers every possible reason why you gained weight and/or have been having trouble shaking it off. IMO, the best plan out there.

The South Beach Diet was shaped taking some from The Fat Flush Plan and some from Atkins really, but they have been very smart about marketing so SBD became very known in very little time. Kudos to their PR people
ElisaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:00 PM   #4  
jammin on the bandwagon

S/C/G: 245/slider/145

Height: 5'6"

I have been doing SB for two months. I lost 14lbs w/exercise in the first month and a half. My GF has been losing a lb a week wo exercise. Neither of us have had luck previously on any other diets. I would definately reccomend it.
shhambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 03:58 PM   #5  

Default Sugar Busters

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]
I just recently came to 3fatchicks.com and was so surprised to see sugar busters mentioned. My doctor suggested it to me when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and she wanted me to get off the sugar. I tried Atkins but couldn't keep to it. I didn't like to eat that much meat and eggs; and it was so restrictive. I have found sugar busters to be easier to stick with and this will be very helpful having others to talk to.
Cyl52 is offline   Reply With Quote