Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2001, 04:35 PM   #1  
Kitcat

Wink

I have a high triglyceride level (287) and cholesterol (233). My doc said I need to watch fat content and lose weight! Like I didn't already know that. I have been using the SB plan for a few days and wonder if this program is for me. I've been eating eggs, lean meats and complex carbs as suggested in the 14 meal plan. What really works to get those levels down? I'm hoping SB is the answer. I haven't talked with her yet, but I have a follow-up appt. in 2 weeks to discuss recent blood work-up.
Kathie

Old 03-30-2001, 05:58 PM   #2  

Hi KitKat

Welcome to the Sugar Busters board.

Many people have had good results in reducing their cholesterol and triglyceride levels while on Sugar Busters. It is believed to be excess insulin that causes these to rise. So by cutting out sugar and refined products like white flour, white rice etc. the blood sugar is more stable and thus less insulin is produced. It is also a very healthy woe (way of eating) with a wide variety of foods that we can have.

Have you read the book yet? If you haven't it is a good idea to read it to get a better understanding of this woe. Please come and join us on the weekly SB board. You are likely to get more responses if you post there. When you are on the weekly board just hit NEW REPLY at the bottom of the screen when you are ready to post.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...&threadid=3502

See you there.

Marie.
Old 03-30-2001, 06:02 PM   #3  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Hello there,
I too have a high triglyceride level in the 280's, and my cholesterol is 254. I follow the SB WOE, but I also use the niaspan and metamucil combo. These together help extract the fat from your blood. Ask your Dr about using them. Be sure to get the sugar free orange flavor of Metamucil.
As far as the diet, eat lean meats such as chicken, fish,
and veal. These are better than the traditional red meats. You will have to find your happy medium for the eggs. Bread is also a BIG culprit for raising your triglycerides. (I LOVE BREAD)
This is NOT a high fat diet. It's not a high protein low carb diet. It's NOTHING like the Atkins plan. This has always been a misconception that they are associated.
The menu in the book is very misleading. It's geared more toward maintenance.
Hope this helps you in your quest. Come on over to the main board which you will find on this same page. We have a lot of combined knowledge there and someone will always be able to answer any question that you have.
Welcome
Old 03-30-2001, 06:11 PM   #4  
Kitcat

Thanks for the suggestions. So, the SB menu is more for maintenance and not weight loss? I wasn't sure if that's what you meant.

Old 03-30-2001, 09:00 PM   #5  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Kitcat,

Yes, that's what I meant..when you go to see your Dr again, ask her how many calories she wants you to have a day...THEN...devise yourself a menu accordingly.
Like I said before...we're here to help you in any way we can...
The weekends are usually a little slow for the most part.
As you can probably tell by the posts, we converse alot during the week..PLEASE come on over an join us. YOU WON'T BE SORRY !!
Old 03-30-2001, 11:07 PM   #6  

Hi KITCAT,
I too had high Triglyerides (470) & Cholesterol (256) before I started SB. It's amazing, but within 6 months after I started this WOE, my Trig was down to 78. I used the half& half for my coffee, ate sour cream, butter, etc & as it states in the book that you can do. It works! Hope you decide to join us.
Old 03-31-2001, 11:56 AM   #7  
Kitcat

I've noticed that my usual cravings for snack foods and nibbling at night have really diminished. I've also changed to decaf coffee, which has helped. Thanks for your reply. Your progress encourages me.

Closed Thread