Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Old 04-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/140/115

Height: 5'2"

Default Having tons of trouble staying sugar free. Advice?

I've noticed that I can completely cut sugar out for 3-4 days with pretty much no problem. However, after this, I get terrible cravings and eat any sugar near me. It gets completely out of control for at least 2-3 days and then I can get back on track only to repeat the cycle again. I can definitely feel the physical effects of eating too much sugar and know I feel so much better without any sugar, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

Do any supplements help? I've heard of some, but don't know if they are truly effective.

How long do you really need to go without sugar before it starts to get a little more manageable?
Precious485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #2  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precious485 View Post
How long do you really need to go without sugar before it starts to get a little more manageable?
About 4 days :P Or maybe up to a week.

Try eating more good carbs like dairy and beans. Avoid grains, even whole grains while you're kicking the sugar. Might want to avoid fruit too.

You'll just have to power past the initial period of feeling crappy and crave-y, then you'll be OK.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #3  

Have you tried putting Stevia or Splenda on Strawberries or any berries, or mix it with cottage cheese or put either of these on anything? I think they are so sweet and I put them on all kinds of stuff and in all kinds of things instead of sugar. Hope this helps.
grabec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 167/140/115

Height: 5'2"

I started out really great, but then had a binge so I cut out everything. I basically was only eating chicken, vegetables, and beans. After 3 days I was done and haven't been able to get back on track. I think I will try to cut out more of the carbs still, but keep eating fruit. I stopped using Stevia because i was worried about it causing cravings, but I think I will try it again at least occasionally.

Thanks so much for the advice!!! I guess I just have to suck it up for a couple of weeks. Is the key to keep yourself busy and distracted or what? I feel like I need to chain myself up after the 4th day!
Precious485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #5  
Triathlon chica

S/C/G: 270/182.5/??

Height: 5'6"

If you can make it past the first week, you will notice amazing changes. If you can make it a month, I think you will exceed your wildest expectations.

I pretty much eat "real" foods only - fruits, veggies, meat and nuts. (I do use foods/drinks with sugar during extended exercise or recovery.) My energy is through the roof, and I get to each so much food.
Athenawithheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #6  

Location: Southeast Asia. That's why my postings look like middle of the night.

S/C/G: 178/177/??

Height: 5' 3.5"

Trying to get past this initial hump is really really hard and I keep falling off plan, but I'm sure I'm making progress each time so that I'm not returning to
square one each time I start again.
Even a tiny bit of sugar, cake, ice cream, or alcohol is really really bad.
In my opinion, if my body is expecting sugar and I give it something really
sweet with splenda or aspartame, it over-reaction and I get blood sugar
swings just like sugar, because my body is too fragile and too "primed" to
expect sugar these days. I know many people do just fine with the sugar
substitutes, and I hope one day to be among them.

For me right now,
my only "good carbs" are beans, starchy vegetables, unsweetened dairy,
and very limited amounts of fruit or grains if they're mixed in with a
bigger meal.
It's definitely a form of withdrawal from addiction, and no matter how
hellish it gets, it's better than what people have to go through when
they quit nicotine, so as least I'm grateful for that.
DeterminedLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:25 AM   #7  

Try to avoid any sugar, I know that's a terrible time for you, but one month later you will adjust to it. Drink some hot water.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #8  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

I know Im a little late to this question, but here is what I do:

Day 1: eat plenty of protein and lots of veggies. Make sure you do not eat starchy veggies like potatoes or corn
Day 2: same thing....add a couple deviled eggs and lots of salad veggies
Day 3: same thing again. If you are hungry, bump up your protien intake. By today your cravings should be gone.

Try to stay away from any and all artificial sweetners. Stay away from starchy veggies and grains. Load up on lean protein and lots of veggies and by the end of day 3 you should have it pretty much under control.

Make sure you drink LOTS of water, and cut out any diet sodas.

Good Luck!

Last edited by RobinW; 05-15-2009 at 10:01 PM.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #9  

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precious485 View Post
For me it was a full month. I still had sugar cravings 3 weeks in. Now I'm on week 5 and I only crave it when I see it. Now, full disclosure here, I still eat fruit, but not much (only because I'm not that crazy about it not because I'm trying to restrict it), and I also sometimes eat yogurt w/sugar. So maybe those things kept my craving alive for a longer period. I still eat those things because they don't call my name, nor do I feel compelled to eat them.

My advice for kicking the sugar is eat a lot of protein, esp. at breakfast, and stay away from diet drinks. For me, more than one diet drink a day makes me crave sweets like crazy.

I think also a lot of it is a mental attitude. I was absolutely not going to eat any junk, period. Once my brain figured out there was no debate or negotiation it quieted the constant barrage of begging for sweets.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote