3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Phase I Start - May 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/83159-phase-i-start-may-1-a.html)

geekess 05-01-2006 04:01 PM

Phase I Start - May 1

We are picky eatters so cooking is always a challenge.

My fiance won't eat mushrooms or spinach. I hate asparagus, cauliflower and can't eat too many veggies anyway without meat or my tummy rebels. We both hate tofu. Basically we are left with brocolli, tomatoes, cabbage, artichokes and maybe a few other things that we will both eat and are allowed on South Beach.

questions:

1) Anyone have a recipe for dipping artichokes that's ok on phase 1 that isn't too garlicky or too sour I'm thinking this might be a good snacky chips alternative.

2) Oh and I never see Avacados on any list good or bad, but do see them mentioned in South beach recipes. Are they ok or not? What about Bok Choy? Bean Sprouts? Bamboo Shoots?

3) Is there a better list than the one in the book that covers more stuff, like would answer my question above?

annarenee 05-01-2006 04:25 PM

First of all, :welcome3:

Here's an updated food list you might want to check out:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49548

I scanned it quickly and saw bok choy and bean sprouts. Avocados are considered a fat/oil and have a limit. I didn't see bamboo anywhere.

I don't have any artichokes recipes...I don't like them (I'm a picky eater too!)

Good Luck

Bunnababy 05-01-2006 04:29 PM

:welcome3: :welcome3: :welcome3: This is a great place to be.

JessieW 05-01-2006 04:42 PM

I looked up the nutritional info for bamboo shoots, they have practically no calories and 2 carbs for a whole cup of them, so I think they would be fine for Phase I. I would say they are probably most similar to asparagus, which is fine. May I ask how you usually cook them? I went to China for 6 weeks and I LOVE them but have no idea how to cook them.

Jessie

:dizzy:

Ruthxxx 05-01-2006 04:50 PM

New folks and restarters, please post in this thread so all questions, responses and problems are in one place.
:welcome: geekess and welcome again to annarenee and JessieW!

weezle 05-01-2006 04:51 PM

Try this recipe! You can dip the veggies you DO like into the dip.

HOT ARTICHOKE DIP

1 14-oz. can artichoke hearts, coarsely chopped
1 C. LF parmesan cheese
1 8-oz. pkg. LF cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 C. LF mayonnaise
1/2 t. garlic, minced
1 t. chives, chopped
1/2 t. parsley
1 t. lemon juice (only if you're on Ph2)

Heat oven to 400° degrees. Combine all ingredients and put into 10" pie plate or small low casserole dish. Bake until puffy, hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes.

geekess 05-01-2006 05:36 PM

Well, I was thinking of doing a stir-fry with bok choy, bamboo, water chestnuts, sprouts brocoli and snow peas with some chicken breast for dinner one night this week. I've only ever stir fried them.

Ruthxxx 05-01-2006 10:00 PM

Sounds good to me! I love stir-fries, Lots of veggies will keep you on The Beach.

Debbie0522 05-01-2006 10:59 PM

I am a Re-start of Phase 1 .

Today:

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs

Snack: 1 mozzerella stick and a couple of almonds

Lunch: leftover grilled lemon pepper chicken cut up on salad mix w/onions and mozzerella cheese!

snack: Coffee, one cheese stick

dinner: Roasted Vegetables (from the book) but I add cauliflower which is AWESOME in it. a few more nuts. sugar free jello.
I didn't have any meat at dinner because I worked thru dinner and ate the veggies and another cheese stick and was full.

Thinking of having the ricotta cheese for my bed time snack!
So far day 1 was good for me!

lottie63 05-01-2006 11:05 PM

well, here was my day, it might look a little odd because I was out of just about ALL food except chicken and broccoli.

breakfast: grilled chicken in wing sauce
lunch: grilled chicken in wing sauce
Dinner: Grilled chicken and broccoli/teriyaki

blech! Can't wait for tomorrow because we got some groceries tonight! Thank god!

JessieW 05-02-2006 09:46 AM

Here was my Day 1 and plan for Day 2. Have to admit that I love most veggies though....SBD is the perfect diet for me, so why didn't I stay with it before?

Day 1:
B: Eggbeaters scrambled with ham and fresh green beans
Snack 1: string cheese
L: spinach salad with zucchini, cheese, broccoli, and viniagrette. Plus more zucchini and some tuna salad.
Snack 2: string cheese, SF fudgsicle
Dinner: Assorted salads at church dinner. Bite of brownie. :(

Day 2:
B: Ham, cheese, and eggs scrambled
Snack 1: cottage cheese, walnuts
Lunch: "Philly Cheesesteak" veggie burger, black-eyed peas, spinach
Snack 2: rest of cottage cheese, probably
Dinner: Parmesan tilapia, steamed green beans, sauteed zucchini
Dessert: SF Fudgsicle

JessieW 05-02-2006 09:48 AM

PS Weezle, I am going to have to make that tip for this weekend. I LOOOOVE artichoke dip and my best friend is coming in this weekend...usually we eat a bunch of crap together so I hope she is understanding about eating veggies instead!!!

kyemom 05-02-2006 11:20 AM

I am in!!! I am a May 2nd starter though!!!

weezle 05-02-2006 12:00 PM

Jessie, it sounds like we have similar tastes!

Here's what I'm having today:

B: "Sausage" patty, bean muffin with ICBINB spray
S: peanuts
L: Tomato Basil "Burger" with LF cheese, mushrooms and hummus
S: LF cheese stick
D: Philly Cheese Steak "Burger" with cheese, cooked mushrooms and green peppers (I had it last night too and it was SO good,) salad with SF dressing, LF cottage cheese.
S: Peanut butter cup (frozen)

So far, so good! A little icky, otherwise ok. Good luck chicks!

geekess 05-03-2006 02:50 AM

I made the boo boo today. I got up and needed to clean house and do laundry and I got SO into it I totally forgot to eat. Oops. I did have a good dinner and didn't mess up. I also made some splenda jello for tomorrow (I'm allergic to regular sugar free jello).

I need to force myself to have breakfast before I get action packed tomorrow!