South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 07:53 AM   #1  

Default Good Morning!

Good morning, I've been lurking for about 3 weeks now. I have been on SB for fully one week today. I've lost 5 lbs. in this week and am really excited. I'm not having any trouble, been satisfied with my food choices, find I really don't miss the bread, but oh the fruit.

I'm a type 2 diabetic, last night my Blood Sugar got too low, and I had to take some O.J. and a couple of crackers to get it back up to a reasonable number before I dared to go to bed. That's my one big worry about doing this, and I've been taking less insulin all week. This is the first time it happened, so I guess you could say that I "fell off the wagon" but I'm back on again this morning. That's a special challenge.

I have made a couple of the recipes that I found on this site. I made the Taco Bake one night last week, and my DH ( he doesn't need to diet) thought it was soooo good as did I and I normally don't like beans. I used a can of Black Beans instead of refried and I can tolerate them

I need some suggestions for veggies. I, because of gall bladder surgery about 12 years ago, can't eat salads. I fairly drool at the thought, but.......my body can't get used to being without a gall bladder and so if I eat too many salads, Montezuma's revenge kicks in. I can eat maybe a couple a week, but NOT on a daily basis. I like broccoli, cauliflower etc, just thought someone could come up with something different.

I'll try to get here each day, but I am quite busy with other things too like most of you are. My DH and I are in charge of Sr. ministries at our church, and I also go to a Bible study every Thurs. Enough about me for the first time, had problems registering, but now it's OK, so expect the problems are over........GrannySmith

Last edited by GrannySmith; 10-17-2005 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:12 AM   #2  
I vant to draw your blood

Good morning, Granny! Welcome to the Beach!

Like you, my body does not like salads very much. I can eat a little at a time, but not in vast amounts or I get IBS like nobodys business.

To get my 4 cups of veggies, I do things like steamed broccoli and cauliflower. Sauted spinach with onions, garlic and turkey bacon, green beans done the same way, only "cooked to death" as its done here in the south. And lots of stirfry.

Something my doctor suggested the other day was steamed broccoli with peanut sauce. I have never tried it, but it sounds really good.

A dish that I tried at a restaurant here in town was baby artichokes, red and green peppers, onions and tomato wedges grilled, seasoned with rosemary and then drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Talk about yummy!

There are also lots of recipes in the recipe files here on 3FC. I have a veggie soup recipe that I consider to be absolutely THE BEST.

Take care and again, welcome!
Old 10-17-2005, 10:02 AM   #3  

Oven Roasted veggies are good. I use a combination of zucchini, yellow squash, red onion, asparagus, mushrooms and sometimes even brussel sprouts sliced in half. I add a little olive oil and sometimes some Italian Seasoning.

I also like the summer squash casserole that is in our recipe sections. And the Sesame Ginger Asparagus recipe from the cookbook. And the Garlic Mustard Green Beans, and the three/four bean salad. Sometimes I do a mushroom medley. I also add fresh spinach to most pasta recipes and many soups. I add mushrooms to many things that don't call for it and often serve steamed broccoli. Oh, and I love Eggplant Parmesan (phase 2) and the Simply Eggplant casserole is good too.

My son (8 yrs old) is pretty good about eating many vegetables but I've done a lot of experimenting to find which ones he will eat (for instance in the oven roasted he only eats the asparagus and brussel sprouts but that is healthy enough).
Old 10-17-2005, 12:36 PM   #4  
beachbum

Welcome Granny to the board and big congrats on your 5 lb. weight loss. Hugs BB
Closed Thread