South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 04:12 PM   #1  

Default Newbie - Day 1

Hello my fellow Beachers!

I am very excited to be on Day 1 of the SBD - and so far so good...I think. So far today I've had 1 cup of plain/FF yogurt with Jell-O powder for flavor and 2 celery stalks with all-natural PB (however I didnt use a measuring spoon but I think I went over my 2tbsp by a little (oops).

So a little about me...my name is Samantha, but I go by Sam. I just turned 21 a few months ago so I have now been overweight for the past three years of my life. I wasn't a heavy child or adolescent - In fact I weighed 125lbs - 130lbs my senior year of high-school. But I started gaining the summer after my senior year and now I am about to enter my senior year of college at a high of 185lbs. I am an emotional binge eater, and overcoming this horrible habit of taking feelings of sadness, depression, anger, stress, inadequacy, etc. and using food as a means of self-medicating is going to be a very challenging obstacle for me - but I have come to the realization that if I want to reclaim my life, the first step is getting rid of this extra weight. As the numbers on the scale have gotten bigger my self-esteem and self-image have gotten smaller. I used to be described as bubbly and outgoing and now I am reclusive and hermit-like. Only leaving the house when I absolutely have to (school, grocery store, etc.) and even then I get terrible anxiety form the thought of people seeing me and judging me. I want my life back - I want to enjoy being 21 and celebrate my accomplishments rather than obsess about my failures and inadequacies.

I really hope I can stick with this diet and it will work for me
Old 09-09-2005, 04:31 PM   #2  

Welcome to the Beach, Sam! You don't say where you are located but that isn't much food if that is supposed to be your breakfast, morning snack and lunch. Remember to aim for 4 1/2 cups of nutritious vegetables a day. Not just lettuce.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:48 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome aboard the Beach Buggy!

Hey! How about changing your name to BubblyChick to reflect where you are heading? Just PM me if you decide to do it.

Perhaps you could post a day's food plan for us to look at. As Barb says, veggies are VERY important, particularly during Phase I as you detox. Be sure to peruse the FAQ section, particularly the P{hase I Food list which is different from the book. It is also important to read the book so you understand the theory behind this lifestyle change.

You will definitely have your life back soon with your efforts and the support in this group
Old 09-09-2005, 05:25 PM   #4  

Ruthxxx & Barb0522,

Thanks for the support and encouragment - very much appreciated!

I know my meals so far haven't been enough but today has been kinda hectic. I had to take my dogs to the vet this morning and so I didnt have time to eat breakfast before. Then when I got home I had to grab something quick because we're having the kitchen remodeled and I can't get in there...but I'll do better from now on

My food plan for today is...

Breakfast/snack: Yogurt w/ SF Jell-o powder
2 celery stalks w/ 2tbsp all-natural PB

Lunch: Chicken stir-fry (chicken breast, snow peas, red/yellow/orange bell pepper, garlic, onions)

Snack: ??? cant think of anything

Dinner: Chicken stir-fry (chicken breast, snow peas, red/yellow/orange bell pepper, garlic, onions)

Dessert: SF fudgsicle

I am going to look for some recipes so I can add some more variety...Im just such a BAD cook

Thanks again for the help!
Old 09-09-2005, 05:30 PM   #5  

If you like to make stir fries then you can use different vegetables for variety. I often add mushrooms, zucchini or yellow squash and asparagus. Often I partially cook the squash and asparagus in the microwave and then add it to the stir fry but you could cook it with it if you wanted to. Coursely chopped spinach is also good as is cabbage.

For snacks, I like raw cauliflower or red pepper either by itself of dipped in hummus.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 223/193/123

Height: 5'0"

Welcome to the beach Samantha . You have made great progress so far by taking the first steps in taking back your life. I look forward to getting to know you!!
Old 09-10-2005, 01:21 AM   #7  
Who needs sleep?

Samantha - welcome to the Beach! I love Asian foods, and I'd be glad to give you some ideas for stir-fries if you are interested - just PM me if you are. Let me know, too, if you PM me, whether Asian groceries and vegetables are readily available in your area (I live near Seattle, which has a heavy Asian population; my small city alone has a few Asian grocery stores, plus all the supermarkets stock at least basic Asian supplies).

It would be a good idea to add variety; it's harder to stick to a program if you are hungry and/or bored. The SBD isn't supposed to leave you either. There are some great recipes in the recipe forum, and many of them are quite simple.

Some easy snack ideas: celery stuffed with Laughing Cow Lite; string cheese; cucumber and sweet pepper dipped in hummus; cherry tomatoes stuffed with fat free cottage cheese; SF jello (with or without CW Lite or Free); and nuts - I like pistchios, partly because you get 30 of them and you have to shell them, which makes it last longer. Some of those you only get a certain amount per day, though, such as nuts (1 serving/day).
Old 09-12-2005, 12:59 AM   #8  
new on the beach

Hi Sam
Sorry to welcome you so late. I am on Indian time and only computer in office so find it hard to participate in the discussions here .
I just really related to your story. I also gained alot of weight in college (even though I have been overweight my whole life) and isolated myself more and more. I was always hoping for that day when I would be slim and be able to feel good being around other people. Well, I never really managed to loose the weight and here I am at 28 still strugling. I regret the "loss" of those years more than anything in my life. I hope you will manage to do what I didnt, get slim and healthy and start enjoying your life once again before having wasted too many years!

This board is really a life saver and you will find all the support, information and help you'll need to succeed at loosing weight and getting healthy!

All the best
Old 09-12-2005, 01:08 AM   #9  
Miracles Happen

Hi Sam,
I'm Tia. Very new to this site too. Just wanted to welcome you! I will be 21yrs old on the 24th of Sept. I'm not dieting (i don't eat horribly) just am on meds and was pretty much sedentary. I joined a gym recently and love it. So anyway, welcome!
~Tia
Closed Thread