South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 01:14 PM   #1  

Default Yummy green salad - help me out!

Hi...I've been quite for awhile...I left the beach for a good week or two but I'm back (and luckily the same weight as when I left)...I'm back now on day 3 of P1 again. Anyway...I'm bringing a green salad to a Labor Day BBQ this evening. My usual yummy salads aren't P1 friendly (either the dressing, or they have fruit in them or something). What could "dress up" a good green salad? I was thinking the usual lettuce, tomato - add some diced avacodo?

Open to ideas...(I looked in the "salads" section of recipes but most of those aren't lettuce salads...)

Wish me luck this evening...I think I should be "safe"...they are grilling chicken (among other things) so I can eat that...along w/ the green salad I bring, plus I'm making a three bean salad - so I know I'll be able to eat something!
Old 09-05-2005, 02:06 PM   #2  
Who needs sleep?

We usually buy different sorts of pre-washed bagged lettuce mixes (my favorite is butter lettuce and raddichio). Then we either eat them plain, as it comes in the bag, or we add any of the following:
sliced radishes
chopped tomato
sliced cucumber
sliced white mushrooms (note - not all mushrooms can be eaten raw - stick to white or crimini)
chopped avocado
chopped celery
paper-thin slices or chopped red onion
thinly sliced green onion
shredded carrot (ph2 only)

Sometimes I will make a salad from a mix of torn iceberg, torn romaine, and spinach leaves with celery and chopped tomatoes and sometimes some sliced hard-boiled egg. A lot of people also like green bell pepper, chopped, on their salads, but I can't eat it so I don't use it.

Hope this helps you.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:34 PM   #3  

I like to make salads with little side dishes to add at will. That way, you could make a salad that is P1 friendly for you, and others can add whatever other ingredients they desire. It's good for picky eaters like my grown kids, too.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:46 PM   #4  
krazy binging insomiac

almonds, beans, lime & cilantro dressing, jicama.... there are quite a few good recipes... i recommend the black bean salad. i often make the viet thai salad as well and simply add lettuces. lots of other veggies and lettuce. add shrimp, chicken...there are a million ways of dressing up an ordinary salad.

fyi, for phase two....try watercress, sauted apples and walnuts with an oil/red wine vinagrette.
Closed Thread