South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 11:07 AM   #1  
Kyemom

Question Cooking Rice

Can you cook rice in a crockpot? Should I invest in a rice cooker? Who has one, and what brand is good for brown rice????
Old 08-03-2005, 05:12 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Kye, I have a crockpot and I don't think you can make rice in it. I don't think it would get hot enough to boil so the rice cooks. On the other hand, I've had some crockpot recipes that had rice in them, I think. Not sure. Personally, I'd probably invest in a rice cooker. My DH refuses to buy another appliance or I'd have one! They are pretty cheap and very handy. You can also make brown rice ahead and freeze it so it's easy to use later.

I just buy the big bulk bag of brown rice at the store. Not sure if any brand is better than another.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:22 PM   #3  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

Yes, definitely buy a rice cooker! In Hawaii, where I'm from, every household has one. It's more common than a blender ! It makes the best, fluffiest rice and they now come in various sizes. I buy organic rice from the healthfood stores but Uncle Ben's brown rice is second best.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:30 PM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

I have a Rival rice cooker, and I forgot I had it until you brought it up. I'm so good at cooking rice in a pot now (it's just about the only thing I CAN make) that I haven't bothered with the cooker...
Maybe I should get it out, anyhow. I think I can make other things in it...
Old 08-03-2005, 11:55 PM   #5  

I have one and I love it. It also has a steam tray I can use for steaming veggies, although I haven't used that before. It was about 25-30 bucks.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:48 AM   #6  
Kyemom

Thanks girls, I think I will pick one up this weekend at the wallyworld!!
Old 08-04-2005, 08:52 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hmmm...I've always cooked in a pot or in a casserole in the oven. I guess I really don't need one as rice is not my favourite carb.
Closed Thread