3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Monday, July 18, 2005 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/61641-monday-july-18-2005-a.html)

KimberlyHeidi 07-18-2005 10:44 AM

Artemis- AWESOME WORK!!! You Go Girl!!

changa 07-18-2005 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tammy70
sf chocolate (york peppermint patties

OMG they make sugar free peppermint patties?!?! I have to find these!

Also, I see a lot of people talking about the sf syrups. Where do you find these? I've seen some Torani type syrups at World Market and the like, but never any sugar free ones. :(

fl_mom 07-18-2005 11:59 AM

Changa - I saw SF syrup at superwalmart last time I was there. I can't think of a use for it so I haven't bought any.

Grats on the loses!!

Thanks for the replies about my gain. I am on a new med I haven't taken before and have posted on a board about that to see if it might be why. I am busy now preparing my meals for the week, makes it easier to stay OP. ;)

Angela

Barb0522 07-18-2005 12:41 PM

changa - I buy SF syrups at World Market, Marshalls and I've heard that TJ Maxx has them too. Even the Sam's here in the Dallas area has SF Vanilla. I like to add some to milk. A little vanilla is good or some chocolate and some mint is really yummy.

me - Brian's party was wonderful yesterday. We had two girls and 6 boys (ages 8-11) for four hours. I cannot believe how much noise they made! But everyone had a great time. The kids liked the pita pizzas and the brownies and about half of them ate strawberry pie. One of the mom's tried both the SF pie and the one with sugar and said she couldn't tell a difference in taste. I cut the brownies into tiny pieces and ate one tiny piece. Everyone else had the rest. I didn't drink enough and had more pizza than I should have but I'm only up a half pound today and I'm sure that is water retention.

KO 07-18-2005 12:53 PM

Hi Ladies:
I'm Kierie 29 married a little over a year and Today is DH and My first day in phase one. so far so good. Right Now I'm 204 My ultimate goal is 124. I'm taking it 5 at a time do you all have a menu thread?
I have to run b/c work is keeping me busy!
I'll post more Later!
Kierie

jenne1017 07-18-2005 01:46 PM

Afternoon chickies-

Congrats to all you LOSERS :)

I was down to 191.6 this weekend, but after eating nothing all day but a bowl of Kashi and then drinking a weeeeee bit too much (read: a lot). I weighed this AM and am back at 193.

*Sigh*

I have to start exercising!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see the doctor about my foot on Thursday so I hope after that I can cancel my $33 a month gym membership and start working out here at work.

Happy Monday all.

Tammy70 07-18-2005 02:40 PM

Changa--the sf york patties are wonderful. I buy mine at Walgreens of all places. They had them on sale last week $1.50 for a bag that has about 8-10 in it. Also, my DH likes the Russell Stover sf candies (his favorite is the peanut butter cups like reese's & then my other favorite is the RS turtles)
They have been great for me, the portion is for 2-3 depending on the candy but if I do well during the day I allow myself 1 in the evening and the york patty is only 33 calories per patty w/ 1 net carb & 0 sugar. There is quite a bit of sugar alcohol so, depending on how you react to that it is great!!

pearshape 07-18-2005 04:14 PM

OOUUCH!!! Speaking of sugar alcohols.....I ate a handful of sf gummi bears a few hours ago!! My stomach is doing gymnastics and a trapeze act all at once!!! I'm not sure if they're a no no on P1 but I ate them and am paying dearrrrrly!!

jenne1017 07-18-2005 04:33 PM

SF Gummy bears have flour I think in them. Weird I know, but I ate some during Phase 1 and restarted because I didn't read ingredients carefully.

valerie910 07-18-2005 04:55 PM

Sugar alcohols really bother me. Aside from the fact that any amount of them make me writhe in pain and make me MORE than a little gassy ;) Honestly, I don't know which is worse...the pain or the embarrasment :D

A lot of people can tolerate the affects of sugar alcohols in the sugar free candies...but, if you're trying them for the first time and get the urge to go overboard with them....oh my goodness....let's just say the effects can be much less than pleasant.

I found this on the internet this afternoon and thought it might interest someone. I'm not anti sugar alcohols...just all about being informed :D

Maltitol is a larger sugar alcohol molecule than some of the others. It is made via the hydrogenation of maltose, which is obtained from starch. It is also unique in that it does not stimulate the cold sensors on the skin, so does not feel cool in the mouth as some of the others do. The synonyms for Maltitol are “hydrogenated high maltose-glucose syrup”, and “hydrogenated glucose syrup”. Since those knowledgeable in the health field are well aware of the meaning of “hydrogenated” (hydrogenation creates trans fats), Maltitol should also be excluded from a truly healthy diet. Like other sugar alcohols, Maltitol also has a laxative effect and consumption should be limited. Maltitol has 90% of the sweetness of table sugar and can be found in sugar free candies, cookies, and gum. Although Maltitol is often used to replace sugars in the manufacture of sugar-free foods, it may also be used to replace fat as it gives a creamy texture to food.

The site listed all of the other sugar alcohols used today also...Malitol seems to be the one most widely used, though.

pearshape 07-18-2005 05:03 PM

I'm not sure what website you looked at but the chemical structure of a sugar and a fat are very different and they are not metabolized in the same way. I wouldn't say that a hydrogenated sugar is as bad as a trans fat but whatever...I'm staying away from them from now on!! I feel like a balloon who keeps getting deflated and inflated over and over again!! :( Yuck!! The part about the cool mouth feel is interesting! I've had sugar free candies before and did notice that...and never had this sort of reaction either. Thanks, val!