South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 01:15 PM   #1  

Unhappy What's wrong with me?

When I first started SB in May, I was so motivated and I was certain I will lose weight and be able to stick to it. And yes, in one month I lost 10 pounds, I lost inches off my belly and thighs and I was happy. Then the cheating started, it was occasional and I said it was okay because I had exams. When the exams were over, I started working out so I said the cheating was okay because I burned it off anyway. But now, I just blew it off, I binge one day, promising myself to start phase 1 again the next morning, by dinner I pig out again promising myself yet again to restart phase 1. I'm stuck in a viscious circle. I quit working out and I seem to have lost all the motivation I started with.
Now I'm thinking, maybe I should convert to low fat, but then .. oh I don't know anything anymore. Should I make a fresh start? Should I stick to SB, and not stay in phase 1 forever but really progress to phase 2 and play by the rules? Or should I just go back to calorie counting? I'm desperate
Old 07-13-2005, 01:30 PM   #2  

Smile

It's all about *STRUCTURE*. it sounds like you are playing what you eat by ear and not planning ahead. If you make up menus for each day and go shopping for food, you'll be much less likely to go off the diet. When you need to snack or break off, do it the smart way - find the SB alternatives (dark chocolate, nuts, fruit, veggies, SF items). Also clear out your house of all the processed snacks and food if you haven't already. If you take the time to set a menu, and spend the money to buy the food, you'll be much less likely to stray.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:46 PM   #3  

oh girl, hugs 2 U... we've all had those "what's wrong with me" times in our lives.. rationalizing eating things we want since we are working out, or I'm stressed.. I'll start tomorrow. Most all diets can work ..finding one that is right for you is maybe what you might want to figure out. Maybe you need more structure with official weigh ins like WW... Maybe you need to start out slow with replacing high fat foods with lower fat, healthy snacks for that ring ding.
I know SB is working for me. While yes I need to lose weight, What I am really learning is healthy eating habits.. Whole Wheat instead of processed breads, fresh fruit instead of MMs. 6 meals instead of 1 or 2. I do also count calories.. the thing is that a calorie is a calorie.. so do I eat the MMs and starve the rest of the day or do I eat the healthy high volume foods...
Changing life long eating habits is hard work... and you know it can be done...
Just don't give up on yourself...forgive yourself ..be good 2 u..
Old 07-13-2005, 02:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I understand completely. I have the exact same problem. I think it's very comon. I've been reading a great book that I posted a thread earlier about "The Thin Commandents Diet" by Stephen Gullo. It all about why we gain the weight back and how to stop it.
It's gotten me more motivated to work on my structure/strategy.
Sarah
Old 07-13-2005, 02:21 PM   #5  
GlamourGirl25

I would just like to add my two cents. It's hard for me to say this sometimes, but I think that FOR ME it's true, and I've spoken to others who agree. The reason I do South Beach (and honestly, I've done Atkins too which also works for me) is because the way the books (esp. atkins) discusses the nature of insulin reaction and sugar consumption.

I'm prettyconvinced that sugar can be a substance as addictive as other drugs, although it makes a lot of people uncomfortable to think about it that way. I too have gone through the weight loss over and over, just to find myself eating high refined-carb foods in incredible excess, not because I'm hungry, just because I WANT THEM so badly! That's CRAVING. And I CRAVE things I'm addicted to, like I did when I used to smoke. To quit smoking, I had to QUIT completely. One puff of one cigarette would be fine one night - and a week later I'd be back to smoking a whole pack. It's all chemical reaction that makes my body crave. so when i quit, i did it one day at a time until the substance was out of my body completely. Then I had to deal with the psychological obsession, which can be the hardest part, long-term. I had to remind myself every day and night for months that ONE PUFF would make me a smoker and that I was doing so much better without it - was it worth it to go back?

South Beach and Atkins rids your body of refined sugars for a couple weeks. If you do the first phase perfectly, you should get some relief from those crazy impulsive cravings. However, I'm pretty convinced that my body isn't stupid, and knows that if I put it BACK in, I'll have the same reaction I did beforehand.

So, I don't know if I'm thinking that the cure is to NEVER eat sugar again. But I know I can't do it today. Probably not tomorrow. Can I do that? Absolutely. and then the days start to add up and I'm losing weight and feeling good. I can eat some fruit, some whole grains, veggies, oils, cheese. It's when I start to think too long term that the mental obsession kicks in again. Or that "just one bite won't hurt". It will.

Again, this is just my experience, so I'm not saying that this is exactly what you should do. But hopefully this makes a little sense.

GG
Old 07-13-2005, 03:33 PM   #6  
Princess

Hi all! This is my first post. I have been lurking for a few days, but was glad to see one of my concerns echoed.

GG, I think you hit the nail right on the head about the addictive nature of sugar. I am only in the middle of day three, and feel obsessed with needing a donut, or bread, or a high carb/high sugar item. It seems even worse to me than when I quit smoking 7 years ago.

Long term goals are in place, but can't be at the forefront of my mind, or they seem insurmountable. I am looking at making it through the week, and look foward to stepping on the scale Sunday so I can see my hard work come to fruition. For the last 2 days I have found a million reasons to quit, but come back to the fact that I need health more than a donut.

Just take it one day at a time, and try to be positive
Old 07-13-2005, 03:39 PM   #7  
Kyemom

OK girls...here is the truth...I have been on phase 1 for 2 weeks tomorrow. I cheated today and had peach cobbler. (first cheat)..My head is spinning and I feel nauseous. (Just like when I quit smoking years ago and then had that one smoke)...absolutely yucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is an addiction, and you will feel yucky after you detox in Phase 1 if you cheat...word to the wise...DON'T CHEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2005, 03:50 PM   #8  
GlamourGirl25

Good for you Grace - keep going!

The first days are **** for me, and I realize how ridiculously strong the cravings are - how enslaved my body is to food! Well, I shouldn't say food, cuz i ain't addicted to steak! I should say refined carbohydrates. But I had this book that said "don't make the mistake of thinking a bite or a piece will "satisfy" the craving. That's the nature of addiction - it's NEVER satisfied. One is too much and a thousand isn't enough."

I did break through those craving - when you come out on the other side, it's like Nirvana. You'd think it would be enough to never touch the crappy stuff again, but my mind loves to work against me with that "You DESERVE cake, you shouldn't DEPRIVE yourself of cookies" or whatever. That's just the old stinking thinking coming back. That's why I love this site, to help ward that off and remind myself that it is totally possible to lose weight and maintain the loss.

SO, this post has been so helpful. I'm glad South Beachers are coming together to discuss the nitty gritty of this whole thing.

Love and good wishes to you all!

GG
Old 07-13-2005, 04:30 PM   #9  

GG-what you said doesn't sound unreasonable at all. Have you ever heard of the book Potatoes not Prozac" ? The author worked with recovering alcoholics and found that the majority of them switched from alcohol to sugar addiction and then realized that there was no difference (alcohol addiction IS sugar addiction-same biological affects). That if you have a parent who was an alcoholic you have a VERY high risk of being sensative to sugar and developing an addiction. THis was a book about depression NOT weightloss and the message was-to stabilize seratonin, dopamine, etc(happy neurotransmitters/hormones)...you needed to give up sugar and refined foods. THe very first step of this 7 step program is to have protein with breakfast everyday.Fascinating stuff.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:24 PM   #10  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

best thread I've read since being on 3FC...you ladies are some smart ones!
Old 07-14-2005, 02:00 PM   #11  

This was great! You people knocked some sense back into me, I'm motivated to restart again. When I first started I had the goal of becoming healthy, not being a slave to food and getting rid of my ridiculous binge attacks and comfort eating, but somewhere down the lane I forgot that and became obsessed about becoming thin, and that's when I lost control.
Thank you so much, I'll restart phase 1 on Saturday the 16th!
Old 07-14-2005, 02:08 PM   #12  
GlamourGirl25

JustJess,

I have not heard of that book, but I will go get it at once! I agree completely. I literally get "high" on sugary fatty foods - if I have a particularly bad binge, I easily wake up with a hangover!

This website is great. I'm 25, and so many of my friends are obsessed with 5 or 10 "extra" pounds that they can easily get rid of; it's hard to talk to them about my obsession with food as an "addiction".

Great thread!

GG
Old 07-14-2005, 11:37 PM   #13  
RNMOM

Default Just hang on!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are sounding like the tape recorder in my brain! You are SOOOO normal!

Just get through phase one! Tie a knot in your rope, not a NOT! Then hang on! You CAN do this. And so can I!
Old 07-14-2005, 11:52 PM   #14  

Great Thread. Good luck with restarting. We are here for you!
Closed Thread