South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 07:42 AM   #1  

Unhappy Nervous about cost of eating healthy....

Yes I know that eating unprocessed foods is going to be more expensive and that it is, afterall, worth it but YIKES! I have a family of 6 and my food bill was about $100per wk-maybe $115per wk when you count any fast food (not a lot). I'm worried that we won't be able to afford to eat this way for very long-it's not even a matter of prioritizing-the only real "extras" as opposed to "needs" in our budget is our children's activities (1 per child and non-negotiable). Any tips on how to eat this way without breaking the bank? Especially if you have other family members who still expect some of that other stuff (which I'm slooooowly weaning them off).

TIA!
Old 07-12-2005, 08:01 AM   #2  
Losing on the Beach

S/C/G: 205/ticker/164

Height: 5'5

Hey Jessica
I have the exact same problem!!! I only have about 50.00 a week to feed 4 of us so I have to be VERY creative!!! The staples for me on the WOE are the basics...eggs, milk, bread and my meals are made cheap...lots of homeade chili ( I only use 1/2 pound lean ground beef in it) and I use the other 1/2 pound to go into ww spagetti and still have to make white spagetti for the kids too but I can make that 1/2 pound stretch and we eat alot of taco meat and I buy them the regular totillas and I have mine on a bed of lettuce...also I get the blocks of lowfat cheddar and shredd it myself ...it saves about .50 and I will make the taco soup with 1/2 pound lean ground beef also, baked chicken breast with a can of green beans is lunch for me alot of times and I make my crustless pizza and make theirs with the crust and it is only about a 6.00 meal total even that way...I aloso eat eggs for breakfast..ALOT (cause they are so cheap!!) and leftovers from supper for lunch the next day ...I make sure there are some LOL even if that means a small supper the night before sometimes ...You just have to think survival mode and make your weekly menu ahead of time and the one thing that saves me is that I make a shopping list before I head out the door to shop...and if it isnt on the list...well it doesnt go in the cart unless I have extra...Hope this helps!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 08:09 AM   #3  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

This way of eating is really not expensive at all. You cut out all the cookies, cakes, ice cream, candy, and focus on lean protein, vegetables, and fruits. If you go by the recipes in the book in can seem expensive (I'm not a huge fan of the book, but LOVE the diet)...not all of us can eat crab, lobster, and filet mignon 3 or 4 times a week, but just concentrate on fresh vegetables and fruits for the kids, they're some of the most economical things in the grocery store.

I personally think meat is expensive but unless you consisted totally on tofu before, you won't really be adding tons of extra meat into your diet, just better for you meat. And eggs, what's a cheaper protien than eggs? For the kids you can buy generic brands of shredded wheat, oatmeal (very cheap), and fruit for b'fast...can't get much cheaper than that even with unhealthy foods. Do try to introduce tofu, most people who say they hate it haven't really tried it. I make a Tofu Cacciatore from the cookbook that's got to be one of the cheapest meals and out there and beats the chicken stuff anyday...trust me..and I love chicken. Beans are highly recommended for all phases and they are one of the best nutritional foods out there and one of the cheapest foods. Cut your meatloaf or burgers with some mashed beans, add more beans to soups and stews, you can replace a lot of the meat and add great nutrition and value.

Check out this site and the recipes on it, it's much simpler than the book, which I thought was confusing, and yes, after reading it I was under the impression that it was going to be an expensive diet. This diet is very doable on a budget, but you come away from reading the book thinking the opposite. The recipes on this site and the information here will be much clearer and less confusing than the book. Good luck and we are all here for any questions you may have.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

That has come up several times:
I searched and found this old thread but there was one just recently also but I couldn't find it.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...ghlight=budget

Ok, feeding 6 on $100 a week.

Take the foods to enjoy list, your weekly sales ads and the weekly coupons and sit down, spend a little time looking at what's on sale.

Beans are wonderfully inexpensive and good for you. You can get the dried ones, soak them overnight and cook them. They freeze well and work in so many different dishes.

Don't get stuck on the menus in the book. They will break everyone's budget. Just try to do the best you can with the foods to enjoy list. Even a half a** attempt is better then nothing. Work on cutting out the sugar , white flour and processed junk foods.

Shop around different stores, see what is cheaper if you have an Aldi's near by, they have good prices on basics.

Don't fret about boneless skinless chicken breasts, pork loins, laughing cow cheese, cheese sticks or ricotta cheese. All are very expensive.

When you are cooking for the family, just buy a whole chicken or chicken pieces, save part of the breast for yourself and let the family eat the other pieces. Cheese sticks you can make your self. Just slice them up and throw them into a baggy. Ricotta cheese is an aquired taste. Wait until it goes on sale, then you can stock up some if you find you like the taste. I wound up throwing my away so many times that I finally stopped buying it. Laughing cow cheese is basically a glorified cream cheese with a little bit more flavor and at roughly $10.00 a pound it is an easy miss when on a tight budget.

Check your sales ads-when low fat and fat free cheeses go on sale stock up. Most will freeze well. Just make sure you thaw them in the fridge and not on the counter top.

I'm sure others will add their advice too.

Sarah
Old 07-12-2005, 09:48 AM   #5  
GARDENING ADDICT

Remember that you do not need to eat exactly what is on the daily menue in the book. Pick those foods that you like from the allowed lists and work around that.
I also buy in bulk, especially meats, at Sam's Club or Costco. A bag of frozen chicken breasts, or beef patties can provide several dinners. Large packages of ground beef can be divided into several meal-portions and frozen.
A large package of flank steak can be divided into several dinners. Marinade and grill it, slice into thin slices and serve as fajitas or use ontop of brown rice or even a salad.

Store brand frozen veggies such as cauliflower, green beans and spinach are cheap. Buy the generic brand of eggbeaters and add alittle to regular eggs to make it stretch (if making the veggie quiches)~these are very cheap to make .
Large packages of string cheese are great snacks, as are hard boiled eggs.

Add up what you might spend on boxes of sugared cereal, cookies, ice cream and junk food, not to mention fast food which really adds up for a family of 4.

I will often cook/grill extra to have for my lunch the next day.
SF jello (generic brand) is about 38 cents a box~cheaper than the premade little cups that you can buy.
Buy veggies when they are in season. If you can't afford fresh produce, which can get expensive, then get frozen or canned. Dry beans are cheap and can also stretch out a meal.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:56 AM   #6  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I am on a limited budget and find this WOL is more expensive than a $1 bag of chips and a diet soda for dinner.

My tips are to buy the frozen (not canned, if you can help it) versions of food. My $.99 bag of cauliflower beats a $3 head anyday. I eat lots of veggies so I need to watch how I spend. Also, I buy canned mushrooms for omlettes as opposed to fresh.

I try to buy cheese in bulk -- I go with a friend when I can to Costco or BJ's and buy a brick of cheese for $6 and shred it myself. It's a pain, but a lot cheaper. Plus, the cheese lasts longer than a bag that, when opened, only lasts 7.

And lastly, I usually buy stuff that's on sale. Sometimes it means that I have to go to two grocery stores. But it's worth it. I wish I had done some more shopping in bulk as the next 2 days until pay-day I am going to be WAY off SB!
Old 07-12-2005, 10:10 AM   #7  

Buy things on sale and freeze when you can. Recently pork tenderloin were buy one get one free. I bought them and then repackaged and froze them. Sometimes I buy chicken thighs if breasts are too expensive. It is cheaper if you buy chicken with bones but my family won't eat it and I don't have the time to debone it.

Remember that you don't need to pick up a bunch of new spices all at once. I have started using spices that I didn't use before but I pick them up when they are on sale. You also may find that when you get to phase 2 that your family will eat some of the same things that you do and then you won't have to buy two types. My entire family eats the same 100% Whole Wheat bread (Mrs Bairds) and the same pasta (Hodgson Mills). We do eat different peanut butter but I buy it on sale. Since I rarely eat out now, I save a lot of money since I'm not buying food in restaurants. For me the biggest expense is what I spend on fresh vegetables and fruit but it has already been mentioned that frozen is cheaper.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:40 AM   #8  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

This would be a good sticky thread, don't you think, Mods??
Old 07-12-2005, 12:29 PM   #9  
Keeper of the Cheerios

S/C/G: 218/209/170

Height: 5'4

I somewhat agree but I do think it's more expensive to eat healthy. I have never bought a lot of unhealthy or processed foods but I do buy some. There is no reason for my family to be eating south beach foods, they definitely don't like WW pasta (i don't really but its that or nothing). I spend about $500 a month at the grocery and that includes not only food but diapers, toilet paper, etc.. I am feeding 5 people (3 adults, 2 kids) and I barely spend enough to feed them for the month. Also, I shop at a commissary, which is a military grocery store, so things cost less for me. I shop at SAMS for diapers and such but the bulk food isn't such a good deal for us. I get WIC, if you have kids, look into it. If you happen to be military and reading this, most military up to E6 qualify, depending on the number of kids you have.

Here is what I did yeaterday for eating OP while still feeding the family...

Breakfast
kids- Cold Cereal w/milk (cheerios, Life, or off-brand sugar cereal for the oldest) & juice
me- 2 scrambled eggs with ham, mushrooms, onions & cheese, WW bagel w/cream cheese & SF preserves
guys- 1 eats on his ship, dh spend $2 a day of his monthly spending money at subway

Snack
Kids- Animal crackers & water
Me- Crispy Pepperoni & yogurt

Lunch
Kids- Peanut butter & Jelly, yogurt
me- leftover meal from dinner (marinted pork chop, veggies, thai noodles)
guys - dh takes leftover, never asked the other one ??

Dinner
Family - Tuna Cassarole (egg noodles, chik soup, tuna, milk, mxd veg, cheese)
Me- stir fry veggies w/shrimp (make extra for next day lunch)

My youngest always helps me eat my meals also so I make more than I think I'll eat

I wanted to add that I still buy chips, stuff to deep fry, other snack type stuff, etc... I don't buy a lot but I don't think it's right to tell my kids they can never have that type of thing just because I don't eat it. Also, dh would really be mad if I forced him to my woe instead of letting him find his own way. He doesn't have a weight problem and I feel comfortable with doing things my way while he does his own thing.

Last edited by fl_mom; 07-12-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Closed Thread