South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 05:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/212/170

Height: 5'9

Default Brown Rice?

I was at the grocery this weekend looking at the brown rice options.
There was also a minute brown rice that had the same ingredients and same nutritional that regular brown rice had but it only takes 10 min or so instead of 40. Wouldn't this be ok to use?

Thanks,
Old 06-27-2005, 05:40 PM   #2  
i luv my dog!

I recently purchased an American Heart Association cookbook, and many of their recipes called for quick brown rice. I know its not listed in SoBe, but maybe its OK for you. or some others as well. I think the main difference will be the amount of fiber. Perhaps you could sprinkle it with one of those tasteless, odorless fiber powders. As Dr. A often says, many of his principles are mearly guidelines for overall healthy eating and better nutrition. If you read all of the nutritional panel info, and were careful when comparing because not all "panels" are created equal, and this seems OK, then maybe this would be helpful to others as well.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:53 PM   #3  

I don't think the Minute brown rice has the same whole grain/health benefit as the long-cook type. Minute Rice has already been cooked and then dehydrated -- which means that it is partially processed.

I think you might want to consider buying a rice cooker. I have a pricey one that is totally electronic, but before that had one that wasn't as fancy and cost less than $15. It makes cooking long-grain rice such a breeze that it's totally worth it. Yes, it still takes 40 minutes -- but you put the rice, water and salt in and just walk away. It automatically shuts off and goes into a stay-warm mode that you can leave on for hours.

I cook up a bunch of brown rice and keep it in the fridge (in air-tight container) and nuke what I need for a recipe. All you need to do is sprinkle a tablespoon or two of water on the rice and heat it. The added water plus the moisture in the rice puffs it up like it was just cooked.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #4  

I have always been afraid of the fast cook brown rice. As Nancy suggested, cooking it in batches helps a lot. Also, I use low sodium chicken broth instead of water. It's pretty yummy!
Old 06-27-2005, 09:03 PM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Tammy, use the 40 minute rice. It's not any more work... just more time.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:16 PM   #6  
krazy binging insomiac

wasn't there something in the book about not using instant or fast cook rice just like not using instant or fast cook oatmeal? there are a lot of neutriants lost in whatever process the companies use to precook the rice / oatmeal. i'm pretty sure doc says not to eat them.
Closed Thread