South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 12:35 AM   #1  

Arrow Fat clothes....keep them...throw them out??? discuss

Hmmm..as I approach my goal weight I am wondering about opinions on keeping clothes in larger sizes. How large is too large, etc.? Today I had a fat day and wanted to wear a larger size and still look cute...glad I kept the outfit. I'm wondering when I reach my goal if I should keep larger sizes around or not?? what do you do or plan to do ??
Old 05-31-2005, 02:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I keep things that are one size up, that way if I'm bloated, or just feeling nasty, I can wear those. But everything above that, I get rid of. It's hard for me to get rid of clothes, I just recently gave away 3 huge bags of clothes that I haven't worn or touched in a few months.. it was time.

-Aimee
Old 05-31-2005, 03:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I held onto my larger clothes for ages because I was terrified i'd wake up one morning having regained all my weight lol.

I finally managed to bring myself to give away bags and bags of my old clothes that just were never going to fit again. It took my mum to convince me though, she basically sat my down and asked point blank: "Do you intend on ever being that size again? No? Then get rid of the clothes!"

Once I did I actually found it very liberating. Sure it was a little scary at first, I had no fall backs which meant I couldnt get lazy and fall back into old habits because those old habits would lead to having to buy very expensive new clothes! (I can be very stingy lol) On the other hand it made me realise that I wasnt going to suddenly balloon out and I know when the clothes I kept feel a little more snug than normal then I have to watch myself. I've been able to relax how obsessive I was over counting calories too...all in all it had a domino effect into every aspect of my losing weight (for the positive!)

Livi
Old 05-31-2005, 08:46 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

I'm like Aimee... I'll keep one size up (plus they can be cozy if you're having a slopping-around-the-house-day), but anything bigger GOES!! There's no way I'm going to leave them in my closet "in case I can get back into them one day".

I DO keep smaller clothes that don't fit me. I keep seeing these stupid articles in magazines that tell you to get rid of anything that's too small. I'm planning on getting back into those clothes, honey!!
Old 05-31-2005, 08:48 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Ditch 'em! I must confess I do have some bigger things that I use for grubby jobs like gardening or painting.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:02 AM   #6  

I toss anything I haven't worn in 6 months to a year even if it does fit. If it doesn't fit I sure don't need it taking up space.

Lydia
Old 05-31-2005, 09:38 AM   #7  
5yrs later/70 lbs thinner

If you can't bear to toss them, then take them to the battered women's shelter. Women usually turn up there with nothing. Larger women have a hard time finding clothing in the donations pile.

It might help you release those items if you knew they'd be going to someone profoundly grateful to get them.

Just a thought -
Old 05-31-2005, 09:51 AM   #8  

Honey, that's an excellent suggestion.
Also, if there are homeless shelters in your area...
Old 05-31-2005, 10:28 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I got rid of everything last year. Donated all my big clothes to Purple Heart. I'm wearing between 10-12 right now. I have a couple pairs of 12 relaxed fit pants and mostly 12 regular and 10 relaxed and 1 pair of regular 10. If I get puffy I can wear the bigger ones. If I get so puffy that the bigger ones don't fit, I go directly to phase 1 for a few days. It's my trigger that I'm getting out of control.

If you keep them, you are giving yourself permission to wear them again. Dr. Phil says so and he's never wrong.

Sarah
Old 05-31-2005, 10:57 AM   #10  
Conquering with SBD

I donate anything that I don't like to a charity. I also have some good quality clothing - some custom made, some just plain too expensive to part with - that hangs like a rag. I alter those items to the size that I am now. I have committed to altering 2 suits per week which is a lot of work, but well worth the effort.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:09 AM   #11  

Peggy... thanks for the reminder about altering clothes! I keep meaning to do that with some of mine. I like a lower, square neck on my tops (it's a more flattering style on me), and I'm going to get to my sewing machine...
Old 05-31-2005, 11:19 AM   #12  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Aimee, lots of great suggestions here! I kept a couple of older things that I loved and will have altered to fit my new shape. I also have a couple pairs of pants that I'm holding together with safety pins because it saves on buying more pants right now!

Overall, though, I've gotten rid of tons of my bigger clothes. Like Lyria said, it makes me realize that this change is for good and forever. I'm giving them to consignment shops so we can make a little money back. If they don't sell then the shops donate them to charity. Either way, everyone's a winner! I've kept smaller things that I really like, but there is a ton in my closet that I saved for when I got skinny. I've realized that now that I can fit in to some of them, they aren't my style anymore! That's kind of fun...and part of becoming thin is realizing that you don't have to buy everything that fits...you can buy things because they fit and you like them! :

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2005, 02:06 PM   #13  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I've ditched them all. I don't want to have them to fall back on, "just in case." But that's just me. All my 24's, 22's, 20's and 18's are gone (save one pair of "18" pants that really fits like the 16 I wear)...
Old 06-01-2005, 09:57 AM   #14  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

The only thing I regret is not saving my biggest pair of pants. It would be fun to take a picture like Meg's! :
Old 06-02-2005, 12:45 AM   #15  

Height: 5' 2"

I have a few that I keep for gardening and yard work. The rest I've taken to charity. Church or Goodwill etc. I got rid of bags of clothing. Can't wait to do it again.
Closed Thread