South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 11:30 AM   #46  
GARDENING ADDICT

SammyPajammy~~OMG what a house full!!!!!

Me~~I don't want this to become a downer for the thread but want to report an update on my Yorkie-Poo Kasey. She will be 13 this year and had been having a UTI that was not going away after antibiotics. Well, in the past few weeks we found out that she had bladder stones and she had surgery to remove them. A biopsy of the bladder wall came back Saturday and it is Transitional Cell cancer. We will treat her medically but she has maybe 3-6 months left with us. I will love her as much as I can in the meantime.
If anybody has been through this or had a pet put to sleep, could you PM me and let me know how your process went and what I can do to make it a better experience for her.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:29 PM   #47  

Oh Sammy, I'm sorry. Hugs to you and Poo Kasey.

Ariel slept most of last night, she was wore out. At least when she's tired she rests. DD just keeps going.

Lydia
Old 05-16-2005, 05:19 PM   #48  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Oh, Sil! I'm so very sorry!

Try to keep her eating and drinking as much as you can. When she stops eating and drinking, you are near the end. See what the doc can give her to make her comfy and do all you can to give her a soft place to sleep and lots of comfort (knowing you, you do this already!).

Staying with your pet when they are put to sleep is a personal decision, obviously. The one pet I've had put to sleep was so very sick, and I decided to stay with her when they did it. I can't tell you how much peace that decision has given me. As soon as the soul left her body, she relaxed and looked so peaceful. She had been in so much pain before, and her body showed it. After the shot, she looked so at peace...and that's how I remember her.

A friend of mine had a dog that hated car rides. She was able to find a local vet that would make house calls to put animals to sleep. That allowed her pup to die at home, which was infinitely more comfortable for her.

I hope that helps. I hope you also know that we'll all be here for you, okay?
Old 05-16-2005, 05:51 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 167.2/167.2/140.0

Height: 5'8"

Oh Sil....I'm so sorry to hear about your baby! I can only imagine what you're going through right now. The loss of a pet is so hard. Laurie, as always, has some great advice for you. Make her comfortable and cherish the time you've had and have left with your sweet dog.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:18 AM   #50  
GARDENING ADDICT

Thank you guys so much for your prayers and suggestions. I plan on making a cement pawprint of Kasey (and one for Shelby, too) to use as a marker for her final resting place which will be in my garden. I also just bought an adorable stuffed dog blanket for her that I will keep (see attached pic). When the time comes to put her to sleep I will stay with her during the process. I want her to have something familiar and comforting to have with her at the vet so I plan on making a chennille (sp?) blanket and pillow in the next few weeks. Hopefully her and my scent will be on it by that time. They will be buried with her along with her toys.
So, although I am sad that this is happening, I also feel much better knowing that I have the opportunity to plan ahead alittle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RichMuttMedium.jpg (14.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 05-17-2005, 09:36 AM   #51  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Aw, Sil, as I said in my PM, I really feel for you and know you will do the very best thing for your darling. (((SIL)) I think the paw print idea is very touching and wish I'd thought of it for my dogs.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:44 AM   #52  
I can do this!

Sil, that blanket is beautiful! I love the idea of a chenile pillow and blankie. Having your scent on things she takes with her to the vet will make her feel so much more comfortable. The pawprint idea is beautiful.

Your garden has to be the most beautiful and restful place in the world...what a lovely place to lay Kasey to rest when it's time.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:56 AM   #53  
GARDENING ADDICT

Actually, the pawprint idea came from our very own Barb. Thanks Barb!!!
I love the dog blanket (dog is actually attached to the blanket). I also bought one that has a Golden Retriever attached to it for a friend who just had a baby boy.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:52 AM   #54  

Sil, I am so sorry that your furbaby is near the end of this life. You have a difficult time ahead, but staying with your Kasey at the end is a wonderful gift to her.

When it was time to let my beloved dogs go, I have stayed with them. The vet has always been a not so pleasant place for them, and I felt that they appreciated my being there and somehow they were reassured by my presence. The message is in their eyes.

It was particularly difficult for me when I had to let go of my rottie Gator, my heart dog. He was 13 years old and on that August morning had his second stroke in 6 months. (Amazingly, he had come around pretty well after the first stroke, and I spent a lot of time with him, assisting him as he learned to walk straight again, find the ball, etc.) The first stroke was very stressful for him and he cried for days out of frustration. (He was an active dog, even at 13, and in his younger years, competed in agility and obedience trials.) I called our vet and she pretty much confirmed what I already knew: that this was the end, as she suspected a brain tumor. So I spent the morning with him, brushing him, walking him slowly to his favorite spots, giving him treats, kissing his muzzle, which he loved. And I clipped some fur from him, which I have to this day, along with his toys and his beloved ball.

Damn, I miss that dog! But I will be forever grateful for the gift of his loyalty, protection and most of all, his love.

I can tell you that your Kasey loves you to pieces and appreciates all that you have done for her and are doing for her now. When it is time for her to be put to sleep, she will take great comfort in your presence.

And she is only leaving this life. She will not leave you, as she will remain in your heart.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:00 AM   #55  

Sil-

Please let me add my thoughts of concern for what you are facing. It is so difficult. Fortunately, God gave the animals the wonderful gift of not understanding their own mortality. Know that the other animal lovers here all feel for you and Kasey couldn't have a better, more caring mom.

I've been there when my poodle was put to sleep and we knew it was time because his CHF (for which he had taken Lasix for two years) started to give him breathing trouble despite the medication. The knowledge that we gave him a good life yet didn't try to keep him with us when he was in pain helped and, in time, we were able to make another poodle a part of our family.

I have friends from all walks of life -- all ages, races, genders, gay, straight, foreign-born, native Angelenos, you get the drift. However, there is one thing that everyone I am close to has in common: they don't think that pets are "just animals". I can't relate to people who feel that way.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:00 PM   #56  
I can do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBirdLady
However, there is one thing that everyone I am close to has in common: they don't think that pets are "just animals". I can't relate to people who feel that way.
Amen, SoCal. Unfortunately, there are lots of people out there that feel that way. So many times, people think it's amusing to make jokes about eating my rabbits. I've started to counter with comments about how I think their children would taste good with ketchup. (SBD-safe, of course. )

I hate it when someone loses a pet and people say, "Well, it's just a ___" No...it's a member of my family.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:20 AM   #57  
No Day But Today

S/C/G: 275/267/175

Height: 5'5"

My 5 year old cat is sick! I noticed on Friday he was sleeping in my closet and he seemed groggy to me, but thought he was just tired. On Saturday we were in and out, but mentioned to my husband, "Have you seen the cat?" I had this feeling and was worried about him. Sunday I called for him and he meowed at me, and was under the stairs on the deck. He looked like I woke him up, and didn't think too much about it. Later I called him again and he came inside about 5 minutes later. He looked weak, tired and I looked at his sides - he looked gaunt to me. Then he sat down and started to dry heave and his poor throat sounded like he had been throwing up a lot. He retreated under a chair where we gave him a blanket and he stayed all day and all night. This morning DH offered tuna juice, and he didn't take it! Just now, he yowled a bit and DD moved him near the tuna. He didn't eat it but heaved up some bile and then went back and lied down. He also seems hot to us, and he's just lethargic. I have an appt. at 9:30 for the vet, but it's onoy 7:20 now... it's going to be a long 2 hours. He's my daughter's best friend - and she already lost his sister. DH doesn't want to spend a lot of money on the cat, but if all he needs is some fluids and antibiotics, I say we get him fixed up! I understand not wanting to do major surgery or anything... but he will get better then I want to make him get better. Sighh..... sorry to go on and on, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to write this! Thanks for listening
Old 05-23-2005, 08:41 AM   #58  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Aw, Christy, there is nothing so sad as a sick pet! I always wish they could talk to us for 30 seconds every day to tell us what's wrong. Please let us know what the vet says and does. Soft pets to your fur baby and hugs to you! I can so relate to your worry!

My Girls are exhausted today after a whole afternoon of long walks and doggie playing with Bailey, Lucy's sister and Hershey's daughter from the same litter. We had lots of muddy paws in the kitchen and Lucy the brat managed to deliberately tip over the communal water dish which was great fun for all the furries! I took her to Church yesterday morning but it obviously didn't do much good.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:57 AM   #59  
No Day But Today

S/C/G: 275/267/175

Height: 5'5"

This pic is about 18 months old, but it's my DD and our big ol' cat Maxx... I was looking for it earlier, but found it this morning. The full size was too big - this is just the thumbnail. I don't know how to get the bigger pic in there!

Old 05-23-2005, 03:24 PM   #60  
GARDENING ADDICT

Christy~~ Is Maxx the cat who is sick??
I am so sorry to hear that your cat is not feeling well. Pets are so much like children~they always tend to get sick after office hours or Friday evenings! What's up with that??? I know that the waiting is so hard and it is especially difficult when you want to do something to help them but can't. You are doing the right thing (IMO) by taking him to the vet. Hopefully it will be something minor both in treatment and cost. Whether we like it or not, cost is a factor for those who don't have alot of extra money sitting around. I'm sure that you and your vet will make the best decision for your kitty and your family.

Please come back here soon and let us know how he is doing!!!!
In the meantime, {{{{{ BIG HUG}}}}} and prayers to you.

Thank you all for your kind words of support and encouragement for my little Kasey. So far, she seems to be doing fine. She has lost alot of weight but she is eating and drinking normally and still enjoys her walks around the garden. I'll post a pic of her with her Doggie Blanket once it arrives.
Closed Thread