South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 09:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 284/260/160

Question Newbie (again) Question

Ok...this is going to be a really silly question. I started SBD a couple months ago and lasted about a week. However, things happening in my life at that time were just too stressful to be starting a whole new way of life. I have now decided, there will always be craziness happening. I have to make the decision to get healthy and stick with it. When I did Atkins before, it was easier for me because I knew exactly how many carbs to eat a day. Atkins scares me though because of so much fat intake. Health reasons prohibit me from doing something like Atkins. I have extremely high cholesterol and have genetically inherited premature heart disease. Ok...ok, I am rambling. What my question is, is how many grams of sugar can I eat in a day. I know SBD we don't count carbs. We can eat good carbs. But, I am the type of person that needs to know my limit for the day on what I am changing in my life. Does that make sense? I need to know if I have 2 tbs of salad dressing that has 2 grams of sugar, how much of that can I have in a day? If I want to make tuna with some FF Miracle Whip, how many grams of sugar per serving are too many? I know I am going to be told to read the book. I bought the book and have read it. I understand about good carbs and bad carbs. Again, I am just the type of person that has to have an outline of the daily limit of certain items. I am in a wedding in June and another in July. I don't want to look like a cow rolling down the aisle...lol. I also want to enjoy this summer wearing shorts without being self conscious. If anyone understood my silly questions please help me. I will really appreciate it.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:00 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

There really isn't a set number that we can give you. The only thing I can suggest is that you try combining programs. A few of us here (myself included) combine South Beach and Weight Watchers. I, too, have the need to "count things", and knowing how many points a day I can have really helps a lot.
I hear ya, re: the shorts. I saw my knees in the mirror the other day, and I was flabbergasted!!
Old 04-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #3  
beachbum

Hi GRN I took this from my folder & the amount of sugar is not specified.
I follow the 2 grm of sugar in any product.

Sugars, "Hidden" sugars and Starches to avoid on ingredient lists:

brown sugar
cane sugar (natural)
corn syrup
corn starch
dextrose, polydextrose, maltodextrin ("dex" = corn sugars)
evaporated cane sugar
evaporated cane syrup
fructose
glucose
glucose syrup
high-fructose corn syrup
honey
lactose
maltose
mannitol
maple sugar
modified food starch
molasses
potato starch
raisin paste
sorbitol
sucrose

Carbohydrates and Sugars. You know the drill. Some sugars occur naturally (like lactose and glucose), while others are added. Avoid foods with added sugar and use the glycemic index as a guide for the rest. When in doubt, read the ingredients. If one of the first three ingredients is a word ending in "-ose," it's probably pretty high in sugar.

Hope that helps Hugs BB

Last edited by beach bum; 04-02-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Closed Thread