South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 06:42 PM   #1  

Default Artichokes!

Yummy! Trader Joe's has them two for 2.49 and they are HUGE! I don't think I have ever seen them this big! Anyway, steamed two of them yesterday. Had one with dinner and one I put in the fridge to munch on for snacks Anyone else a big artichoke lover?
Old 03-24-2005, 07:36 PM   #2  

Actually I cooked my first ones yesterday. I am from the south and enjoy the stuffed artichokes (breadcrumbs, Parm.) but that is not on Carb diet. I cut them as directed, put them in small amount of water , drizzled olive oil, put minced garlic in water, and onion powder, over this I put some lemon juice. It was tastey. Next time I might pull the leaves open and sprinke parm. cheese in.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:57 PM   #3  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

I am kind of afraid to cook artichokes. I don't know how! I love dishes with artichoke hearts in them, but I don't like buying artichoke hearts because they are always in citric acid and taste like vinegar!
Old 03-25-2005, 12:02 PM   #4  

Jennie, they are really easy to make. I use a pan with a steamer insert. Fill the pan with water to just under the insert level. Cut the stem off, cut off the top quarter or so, then put in steamer basket. Cover pan with lid, put on high for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, dependent upon the size of the choke. You can check at intervals to see if the pieces come of easily Enjoy!

Also, in the frozen foods at Trader Joe's they have the artichoke hearts that are just plain frozen. I bought some of those also and used them for my omlette today. Delicious!
Old 03-25-2005, 01:14 PM   #5  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

Wow, thanks for the advice! I think I need to make a trip to Trader Joe's! I love that place!
Old 03-25-2005, 03:59 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I grew them one summer - yes, up here in the Great White North.
We harvested them when they were smallish (about 3"), sliced into ¼ slices, drizzled with oilive oil, chopped garlic and parmesan cheese and baked at 350 about ½ and hour. Yummy but chewy!
Old 03-25-2005, 04:47 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Okay, stupid question, but after you steam them, how do you eat them? I watched my aunt eat one once (dipped in butter of course! ), and she seemed to scrape the "meat" off the bottom of each leaf before discarding the rest. Is that right? I'm clueless with 'chokes!
Old 03-25-2005, 06:50 PM   #8  

Laurie, yep, you scrape them off into your mouth I don't dip mine in anything. I enjoy them plain Of course some butter or mayo is delicious but I find them very enjoyable without the added calories.
Closed Thread