South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 06:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/157/140

Height: 5'8"

Default Flour Question

I've been very gradually moving into Ph2 and I'm a bit confused on whole wheat items.

I've been looking for items that list whole wheat flour but I have also seen enriched flour and then in ( ) it will say whole wheat flour........

What are some tips for buying whole wheat products???
Old 02-17-2005, 07:40 PM   #2  

I go with 100 percent Whole Wheat bread. No 'enriched' flours. Best of luck to you on Phase 2!
Old 02-18-2005, 08:10 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Nat, you could also use soy flour.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:15 AM   #4  
Learning to love ME!

I'm confused about this, too. I use Natural Ovens bakery's 100% whole grain bread, but am not really sure if it's truly "100% whole grain." It uses stone ground whole wheat flour and "untreated high gluten wheat flour." I'm not really sure what this means.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:47 AM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Gypsy, that bread sounds perfect!

I was recently looking at some stuff at our grocery store, and one thing listed that their pizza dough is whole wheat, but they can't market it that way because it has to be 100% whole wheat in order to be called "whole wheat"

That's what we want...nothing that says "enriched". If you see "enriched" in the ingredients list, put it back.

I get Pepperidge Farms bread...like this: http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/fresh_bread_lunch.asp (look at the 9 different kinds of "Natural Whole Grain" bread)

I have trouble finding a pita that doesn't have enriched flour...so I look for ones that have whole wheat flour high on the list and enriched flour low on the list. Ingredients are listed in order of how much is in the product, so if enriched flour is seventh or eighth, there isn't much in there. If it's one of the first three ingredients, there is a LOT. I hope that helps!
Old 02-18-2005, 02:13 PM   #6  
beachbum

Nat I agree with the ladies "Enriched" is a NoNo on the South Beach. Whole Grain,is whats in. You mention Whole Wheat Flour. I buy the King Aurthur Brand.,for cooking ,but was told to use Whole Wheat Pastry Flour for baking. Hope that helps. BB
Old 02-18-2005, 08:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 157/157/140

Height: 5'8"

Okay, so enriched=evil and the main ingredient should be whole wheat flour.

I was looking again today and of the whole grain breads had corn syrup as one of the first five ingredients.....another no no, right?

Dh was trying to figure out what to do with his deerburger and I told him to make meatloaf. I need to find some bread so I can make him some bread crumbs. I was reading some other threads and I gathered the best way is to grind up the bread and then let it dry. Any suggestions?
Old 02-18-2005, 08:46 PM   #8  
Trapped Skinny Person

For bread crumbs I would suggest drying (or toasting if in a rush) the bread THEN grinding it.

Did you know you can also use oatmeal in meatloaf instead of bread crumbs and oatmeal is allowed (on Phase 2) and good for you!

Be aware that venison is very lean, so your meatloaf may be a tad dry. If I weren't on SBD, I would add 1 part ground pork to 3 parts ground venison to make it moister.

Kim
Closed Thread