South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 01:14 PM   #1  

Question Milk question?

Good afternoon, I know someone out there can help me. I am coming up to the end of my second week and done well so far. I am trying to figure out the milk dilemna. I am a member of the SBD site and can't completely find the answer to my question. I have been reading that even in phase I you should be drinking your milk or yogurt and that it even aides in the weight loss. First off I hate yogurt, I can force down milk if I need to but not really a lover of that either... Well I must add unless I am drinking it with a nice peice of chocolate cake...yummm... Sorry I digress. I am looking to see if you all drink the milk and how much daily? Do you think it really makes a difference? Thanks for the advice I know I will be getting.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #2  
Trapped Skinny Person

I am also not too crazy about milk - however, I do go through phases where nothing will quench my thirst like milk and I will consume a few cups per day during that time - and Yes I have noticed that the weight does seem to come off a bit easier when I drink it. I don't know the science behide it.

So for maybe 1 week per month, I drink 1-2 cups per day.
I do like the ff plain yogurt with splenda and vanilla if I am craving something sweet.

Kim
Old 01-20-2005, 02:10 PM   #3  
A Lily from my yard!

I think it is the calcium that helps. Not for sure. I don't drink alot of milk and I hate yogurt as well so I take calcium. I know there is a chick in here that knows for sure!
Old 01-20-2005, 02:11 PM   #4  
i luv my dog!

There are many in the nutrition/weight loss community that believe eating too much dairy is not good and even some that say it should be avoided.

Personally I like milk but do not have it on a regular basis, except a spoonful lately in my decaf. I eat LF yogurt pretty regularly these days, but not every day, and generally less than a cup in a day. Some days I'll have yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast. Last night I had a little yogurt with pumkin pie spice for my sweet treat instead of the ricotta (but either of those are not a regular thing either.)

My 2 cents: I don't see how omitting one particular item can really make a difference, but maybe there is something to it, you never know.

Also, see this SB thread from last summer: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42098
Old 01-21-2005, 09:01 AM   #5  

Here is information from the National Dairy Council that talks about some of the research http://www.nationaldairycouncil.org/...ht/science.asp
I don't drink a lot of milk myself but I love yogurt.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:29 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Colleen, it really behooves you to find a way to drink or eat milk and yogurt...the research shows that 3 servings a day helps reduce belly fat, and the calcium is such a benefit to women. They believe that calcium supplements will not produce the same results...they are not sure what does it, but it has to be in the milk or yogurt to help. In addition, milk and yogurt are good carbs and will help you stay out of ketosis and have less problems with cravings.

Some way to include more of both:
  • Make chai...brew half a cup of decaffeinated chai tea (Tazo makes one), then fill to the top with milk. Add vanilla SF syrup or splenda to sweeten and enjoy. Yummm!
  • Make a protein shake. Add frozen fruit in Phase II, or ice and SF syrup in Phase 1, but include yogurt, protein powder, and milk. You can even add ground flaxseed so you get your Omega 3 oils.
  • Make hot cocoa, the old fashioned way. Use milk and heat it on the stove or in the microwave. No marshmellows, but you could use SF syrup to add extra flavor, like peppermint or cinnamon. Yum!
  • Make ice cream, either with the zip loc recipe or with an ice cream maker. Use yogurt and milk.
  • Add SF syrup (vanilla is awesome!) to yogurt, and put it on fresh berries. Delicious! Sprinkle some wheat germ (in Phase II) on top to add Magnesium and to make it more like a desert!
  • In Phase II, have SBD safe cereal with milk

Hope this helps...there is a lot more out there, I am sure. But make sure it's milk and yogurt you are counting, not cheeses. Those don't have the same effect, though they are good sources of dairy and count as protein rather than carbs.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:39 PM   #7  

Thanks to everyone. I just drank a 1/2 pint of skim milk... I guess if it is really cold I can get it down. I do take calcium supplements daily because I worry about my bones but I'm going to see what the drinking of the milk does for my system. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:48 PM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Do you drink diet gingerale? I sometimes pour a half glass of milk and then fill the rest up with gingerale. It tastes quite yummy. Give it a try.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:32 PM   #9  

Height: 5'-2"

That's disgusting, Ruth.
DH mixes milk with Cream Soda. Pink. Looks like freakin' Pepto Bismal.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:54 PM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Blech! I hate the look of the bubbles you get when you mix fizzy drinks with milk. :P

But that's just me. And I eat dill pickles with peanut butter on them, so what do I know from nasty food?
Old 01-21-2005, 04:58 PM   #11  

ewww, is mixing milk and pop a canada thing? Wait, didn't Laverne do that on Laverne and Shirly? But, that was coke and milk, a black cow. But, ginger ale or cream soda? Maybe, I'll give it a try to see if I'm missing anything.

Whatever it takes to drink my milk. Blech....

Last edited by Heidi-ho; 01-21-2005 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling boo boo
Old 01-21-2005, 05:01 PM   #12  

Oh man, pickles and peanut butter? I never even thought of that! Not, that I would try it either. Everyone has a wierd foodie thing. My dad got me hooked on PB&J sandwiches with bacon when I was a child. Still love em, but don't eat em. Then, there was the mayo mixed with Jello, or eating potato chips with mustard.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:23 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi-ho
Oh man, pickles and peanut butter?
Oh, that's just one of those pregnancy things, Heidi. Laurie is practicing.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:39 PM   #14  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Did you kiddies never hear of a coke float? A scoop of ice cream in cola? Same tast. I think milk and cream soda would be great!
Old 01-21-2005, 06:06 PM   #15  

mmmm... coke floats are good! I suppose you could make one with diet pop and an OP popsicle...
Closed Thread