South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 08:09 PM   #1  

Default Low Carb Bars

Hello everyone! I am a former Atkins dieter and I am very much used to eating low carb bars as a filling sweet snack that help me get through that 3:00 lull at work.

Are these bars ok? Here are the ingredients:

ATKINS MORNING START BAR CREAMY CINAMON BUN:
Protein Blend (Soy Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Calcium/Sodium Caseinate, (Whey Protein Isolate) Glycerin, Polydextrose (Fiber), Cocao Butter, Water, NAtural Coconut Oil (Non-Hydrogenated), Cellulose, Olive Oil, Lecithin, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Palm Kernel Oil, Cocoa Powder processed with Alkali, Maltodextrin, Guar Gum, Citric Acid, Vitam B1 (Thiamin), Folic Acid, Vitamin E.

SLIMFAST LOW CARB PEANUT BUTTER CRUNCH BAR:
Malitol Syrup, Milk Chocolate Flavored Coating (fractionated palm kernel oil, crythritol inulin, whole mik powder, cocoa, butter oil, partially hydrogenated palm oil, soy lethicin, natural and artificial flavor, vanilla, salt, sucralose, ground roasted peanuts, gum arabick salt, caramel color, maltodextrin, TBHQ and citric acid preservatives

CARBOLITE CHOCOLATE COVERED PEANUTs:
Sugar Free Milk Chocolate (Erythritol, Oligofructose, Coca Butter, Chocolate Liquor, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Caseinate, Milk Fat, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Soy Lethicin, Maltodextrin, Sucralose, Magnesium Chloride, Zinc Citrate, Chromium Chlorise), Peanuts, Maltitol, Artificial Colors, Gum Arabic, Sorbitol, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Cocunut Origin), citric acid, sorbic acid, carnuba wax, confectioners glaz, sucralose, and traces of other nuts.

Keep in mind I had weight loss surgery about 10 yrs ago so I do not absorb all fats, although I do absorb all sugar (results in weight gain). Are any/all of these OK to have as a snack on SB? If not, do the unapproved ingredients affect weight loss?

Thank you!

[/b]
Old 10-25-2004, 09:25 PM   #2  

Before Ruth screams FRANKENFOODS, I have to say that Dr. A does not approve of meal replacement bars. I can see many ingredients in these bars that we are not supposed to be eating such as Cocao Butter, Palm Kernel Oil, butter oil, partially hydrogenated palm oil, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Cocunut Origin), whole mik powder (should have been low fat or skim). There are also a lot of sugar alcohols in these which can cause problems for a lot of people.

You really are better off snacking on non-processed foods.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:33 AM   #3  

You are better off having a small handful of nuts and some celery sticks! If you crave sugar have a herbal tea or diet drink but make sure you keep up your water consumption.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:46 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The answer is "NO" but the reason is that we need to eat less processed foods and those are highly processed plus they have some bad ingredients.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:59 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

frankenfood! See, I just said it softly! I'm mellowing.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:57 AM   #6  

I will eat a bar or have a shake "in a pinch", like if I'm somewhere out and starving and can't find a good alternative. I figure it's better than a snickers, although not by much. If I have a shake it's one of the SlimFast Low Carb ones as when I compare the ingredients they seem to be the best. Most of the bars taste nasty anyhow, imho.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:18 PM   #7  

I always take a water bottle and a small bag of nuts with me, and keep nuts in my handbag. I have never had to give in and have a snickers bar or anything else as bad because I don't get caught out. If I am going to be out for awhile (like a whole day) I will take small cans of flavoured tuna (lite), l/f sliced cheese or vegie sticks.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:26 PM   #8  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Yup, I agree, Chick. There are lots of transportable things you can take with you. And lots of things you can get in a pinch that are definitely better for you...like nuts, cheese sticks (you can find them in most convenience stores), vegetables and salads (most fast food places have garden salads). One of my favorite things to do in a pinch is pick up a salad at a grocery store salad bar, or even a prepacked salad and some low fat/no sugar lunch meat at the deli. There are lots of options out there that are SBD friendly.

I just see this as a WOE for life, and I want to continue making good choices from now on.

I realize those bars are not nearly as bad as a candy bar (sometimes...some candy bars have less unpronounceable ingredients), but they simply are not good for me. I'd rather go hungry...but that's me. And with all the variety out there, we really don't have to go hungry, you know?
Old 10-26-2004, 10:19 PM   #9  

I agree with the girls here.. say away from the frankenfoods (love that!) Many of the prepackaged bars and foods have additives and flavourings that can cause food allergies. At home we try to avoid all prepackaged foods due to some of the additives causing rashes and eczema on my daughter..We also eat mostly organic fruit and vegies and also meat and dairy. Go with the nuts and vegie sticks and steer clear of the chemicals. I feel the same way about the sugar substitutes... would rather starve than consume them.
Closed Thread