South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 09:58 AM   #1  
Jennifer Juniper

Default Low carb "sweets" on southbeach

Hi,

I just started the South Beach diet. I had been on the Atkins diet, but I found this to be a healthier diet. My questions is this: the book does not address at all the low carb sweets that I enjoyed on Atkins such as the Endulge candy bar, etc. Does anyone know if these things are considered "ok" on SouthBeach after phase one? What about those low carb breakfast bars that I loved on Atkins? I hope someone knows the answers to this.

Thanks!
Jennifee
Old 05-25-2004, 10:18 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, Jennifee!
South Beach is about staying away from processed foods as much as possible. Try to eat as "natural" as possible... lots of fresh vegetables, etc. It's okay to have the occasional treat, but when we're looking for frequent "cheats", we're just setting ourselves up for disaster.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:42 AM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hi, Jennafee!

Ellis hit the nail on the head. You want to stay away from the items you enjoyed on Atkins. They can induce cravings and are not healthy in the way that real food is. You will find a lot to love on this diet, but it will be real food that taste good.

Possible sweet treats (75 cals a day, max) are: No Sugar Added Creamsicles, SF popsicles, No Sugar Added Fudgesicles (look in the recipe forum for the PB cup recipe!), SF Jell-o, SF mints and hard candy. There has also been a discussion on SF/FF Pudding...but I do not know what the final consensus was there.

Welcome to the beach, Jennifee!
Old 05-25-2004, 12:35 PM   #4  

Welcome, Jennafee! Yes, definitely watch out for the "candyman"! My husband brought home some Russell Stover "treats," and it really caused a problem -- even with no sugar! Stick with the plan and avoid Frankenfood -- after a while it even smells yucky!
Old 05-25-2004, 01:17 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to The Beach, Jennifee. By the responses, I see that my lectures on Frankenfoods have paid off!
Old 05-25-2004, 01:18 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Holy smokes! I'm over 7000 posts! What a motormouth!
Old 05-25-2004, 01:51 PM   #7  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

lol Ruth-congrats on 7000+!

Jennifee -- I had issue with these sweets too. They wreaked havoc on my stomach. They kind of have the same effect [the sugar alcohols anyway] as Olean does on my stomach. If anything, have something small and homemade!
Old 05-26-2004, 09:36 AM   #8  
Jennifer Juniper

HI,

Thanks for all the responses! Now that I think about it, I think it WOULD cause more cravings. Sweets are my weekness and when I ate them on Atkins, I ate LOTS of them. So, you all are right... I gotta let 'em go... sniff... )

Jen
Old 05-26-2004, 10:01 AM   #9  
I can do this!

Juniper, I feel like we're at a 12 step meeting!

But truly, figuring out your addiction to sweets (or whatever it is) is the first step...on the road to health! I wasn't able to even start a diet until I realized that my addiction to starches and sugar was killing me...that it was as serious (or even more serious) than an alcohol or drug addiction! Obviously, that's just me, but I think that figuring this out might help you a lot!

I must say, one of the surprising side benefits of SBD is that I'm actually able to taste and enjoy God's food! I remember reading about carrots in Laura Ingalls Wilder's "Farmer Boy". She said that they were so very sweet. I kept trying to taste them as she did, but I never saw their sweetness. Now, when they do not have to compete with the processed sugar I ate constantly, I can taste it!

Anyways, time to get off the old box and get back to having fun!

Welcome to the beach, JoJo!
Old 05-27-2004, 03:34 PM   #10  
Jennifer Juniper

Lauri,

I think you are right about the sugar and carb addiction. I always knew I was addicted to sugar... I just didnt know that carbs were sugar, in a sense. So now I am like you. I just guess I have to give them up. I think I need to try new recipies though, because I find the diet borning and therefore hard to follow. (of course, I only just started so I will give it a chance)

Jen
Old 05-27-2004, 03:36 PM   #11  
Jennifer Juniper

Geesh,

Was my signature HUGE or what??? Lets see how it looks now.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:52 PM   #12  
I can do this!

Hi, Jennifer! Let us know what you need help with on the diet. And do check out other recipes....that was the key for me in staying OP. Have you gotten the SBD Cookbook? There are a ton of recipes in there!
Old 05-27-2004, 08:24 PM   #13  
RNMOM

Default Sugars are evil

That has truly been my secret to success on SB. I was so addicted. I do enjoy some sugarfree hard candy once in awhile. I do have the sugar free ice cream bars, but they really get me wanting more so I have to stay away from them. I have some in the freezer right now that have been in there so long my kids are eating them.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:21 AM   #14  
Jennifer Juniper

Talking Another questions on sweets

Hi,

You guys are great! Here's another questions. If you are avoiding sweets to avoid bringing on other cravings which I know I must also do, do you allow yourself the treats suggested in the book such as the low fat ricotta cheese chocolate thingy I remember reading about? Do you find this stimulates cravings?

Thanks again for all your help!

Jen
Closed Thread