South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 04:31 PM   #1  
DebNY

Default sputter sputter...newbie on fumes!

Hi everyone!

Switched over after an unsuccessful attempt to reconnect with my previous WW success. Was getting too obsessed and too many hypoglycemic highs and lows with the carbs so I thought I'd give SB a try. Been doing it since last Wednesday. I *only* have a few to lose (as if a "few" were any easier than more than a few!) - and then want to maintain and feel better.

I haven't really lost any weight yet - but I think I've been overdoing it on the nuts and ricotta. Going to try cutting back there.

Any other tips from folks to jump-start the weight loss?

Also...it's odd...I *feel* so much better - I'm off the carb roller coaster, I've had eggs for the first time in 20 years, I'm forcing down the fish (I'm a veggie who eats fish but wasn't really eating it that often)...

BUT - I'm also a runner - and I have been sputtering along for the last week with NO energy to speak of. Every workout is a huge effort, getting a bag out of my trunk was like lifting a boulder, and my long run yesterday (10 miles) felt like the 25th mile of the marathon I did last year. I ate a bowl of oatmeal prepared with milk and topped with some nuts before the run - and ate some almonds during the run - and a Balance Bar after. But by the time I got home I was practically shaking - I hit the PB jar pretty hard. At least it wasn't full of hydrogenated oil - but definately had cane sugar and raisins in it. It made me feel much better - but this is not the way I really want to feel

So then - any ideas as to how to prepare for a long run or something like the 3 mile run I have next Sunday? I'm definately feeling the lack of Glycogen stores. Help!

-DebNY
Old 03-01-2004, 04:36 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Do you have the book? I think Dr Agatston covers this. Sorry but a friend has mine right now.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:50 PM   #3  
DebNY

Yup. Have the book. It says that you should have "some" oatmeal, or pumpernickel bread, or ???(I forget) two hours before exercise lasting 90 minutes or more and then even "some" white bread or a potato after. But I didn't know what "some" amount is...and whether I could do it in Phase I. That's why I had the oatmeal before and the Balance Bar after. But I definately needed more...and I have a race next Sunday - a 5K - so it's a short one (3.1 miles)...I wonder whether I need to just have "some" whole wheat pasta the night before and "some" carb for breakfast before the race. Hmmmm....
Old 03-01-2004, 05:12 PM   #4  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

If you are running 10 miles a day, you HAVE to eat more carbs. Just make sure that you eat the ones that are good for your body. Eat whole grains and fruit. Try adding a couple servings before you run and if you need more for energy eat more.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:28 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Geez, Deb, I'm no expert but I'd advise waiting until after the race to do Phase I!
Old 03-01-2004, 07:37 PM   #6  
A Lily from my yard!

I have no advise so far the only races I have won have been to the fridge! Hey Deb welcome to the beach! Pull up a chair and sit a spell.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:59 PM   #7  
DebNY

Default Not 10 per day!!! G-d forbid!

You guys flatter me.

10 was my long run for the week - I usually run 4 to 5 miles a few times a week, and then a long run of 8 to 12 on Sunday. That's just to stay disciplined for when it's time for Marathon Training again (when I will definately!!! add in many-a-carb!).

Yeah, sigh...not sure about the race. But it's a nice short one that's close to home, and it will have good music. Not to mention - it's the perfect excuse not to give up the whole day in-laws who will be visiting the whole weekend. Maybe I'll play it by ear....

Anyone else with some experience with Phase I and working out? Thanks everyone!

-Deb
Closed Thread