South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 06:13 AM   #1  

Height: 5'-2"

Default Wednesday Beach Chat

Good morning, girls!

Daisy, how's your headache? It's wicked, isn't it... it'll pass. "a bread sandwich with bread in the middle..."

Little Chick, don't you just love those omelets with everything in them! My DH often makes them for me. (of course, I love anything if someone else makes it. )

Jennie, good luck with all of your paperwork for school!

Lizzie, I'm glad your cold is getting better. Gee, that's really too bad that you may get frost down there in Florida. (ahem. sorry)

Pebbles... 2 1/2 hours to get to work! You must have been so stressed!!

Ruth, I wonder why your connection is so slow... I switched to Sympatico high-speed a few months ago, so I'm whipping along fairly quickly.

Franny... a ten pounder, huh? shudder. My youngest was a nine. I had to have a c-section, and they had a heck of a time getting him out.

Lisa, did you get to the gym? Wow, girl, you are SO inspiring! Six pounds off and you're finished your "real" chemo!?

Chaz... "...comfortable in sweats and a nice fluffy sweat shirt..." heh heh heh. You poor darling.
Thanks for congratulating me on exercising. Did I exercise? Are you confusing me with someone else? OH! I GET IT! You mean the going/not going to the YMCA! Yes, I may make it in one day this week.

Emily, that moving stuff is such a crock. So sorry you're having troubles, hon. I've vowed never to move again. It's too much darned trouble. (and I'm so happy here )

Anne, how are the cravings? Still craving a "bread sandwich"?

Jan, it was crazy here during the ice storm. (when was that...1998?) People were going NUTS stocking up on stuff at the stores. We lived in the country then, and I remember there was one dick of a hardware store owner who was auctioning off his generators instead of selling them at the regular price. People were freezing, and he was trying to make an extra buck. And the candles... there wasn't a candle to be found. People had even bought out the decorative ones.

Sharon, how was your visit with your SIL?

Gee, Den, it's about time you stopped believing in the weatherman/woman. How is it out there now? We've got... let's see... OH MY GOSH! It's -13C!!! Freakin' BALMY!!!

Lou Lou, did you get the storm?

Traci, how's your DS? I hope he's feeling better today.

Sflake, how is everyone in your house? Hey! I made meatballs yesterday! They were a hit! (thank God, because I quadrupled the recipe for freezing)

Little Chick is up. I'd better post this quickly before she gets the jump on me.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:21 AM   #2  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Morning Ellis be right back
Old 01-28-2004, 06:30 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just up and there is a man coming to use my shower in five minutes. Be back later to explain. It's NOT Bruce Springsteen, dammit! Curses! Foiled again!
Old 01-28-2004, 06:34 AM   #4  
Ready to Change

Ruth you get back here and explain. Why do you have a man using your shower?

Ellis- sorry just got ready to post and the first wee one started to show up.

Anyway I will return once I get everyone off to school and the kids into an activity. See ya soon.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:01 AM   #5  

Good morning everyone,

Wow, I actually have some time this morning. My son has been sick with a terrible cough but seems much better today thank goodness. Here I am in NH & after all the storm hype - no snow! Bummer - I was kind of excited for a good storm, its been a while.

But snaps for John Kerry!! Not to get political, but I was happy for the win.

Fannymae, I'm jealous of your snow. How did it turn out for you there? I can relate to your 10 pounder - mine was 10 pounds exactly - like a big turkey. Took me FOREVER to get that kid out. Like days...and days...

Littlechick, Keep eating! You may not be getting enough and that can definitely slow down progress. Its happened to me.

Gavinsmom - the stomach flu is whipping through my sons kindergarten, the kids are dropping like flies. We haven't had it yet, we have the lovely chest cold instead. And as for your son, he sounds like all men I know

Luckyred & Natalia - A BIG HUGE THANK YOU hug for the cottage cheese/yogurt tip. It doesn't take much to get me excited. I ran right out and bought some yummy yogurts and mixed with the cott cheese and wolfed it right down. Could have eaten about 10 more, but boy was it good. A much needed break from the salad & fish & fish & salad & eggs & salad....

And Lucky - congratulations on finishing chemo, that's a big hurdle to get over and it sounds like you are doing beautifully.

Lou Lou - did you end up with any snow? We all planned for it and then ka-putz.

January - Have you tried oatmeal (see all the steel cut advice on the other thread!) its sooo satisfying & so good. I know some people don't care for it though. I mix in some almonds & cut dried apricots with cinnamon and its lucious & holds me over b/c things like yogurt & fruit leave me unsatisfied as well. Maybe have a boiled egg or some cheese/nuts with your yogurt treat? LOL...unless you have high cholesterol, you should be OK with the eggs. And that would be high LDL's.

So, everyone have a wicked awesome day!!
Anne
Old 01-28-2004, 08:20 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Back. Gotcha thinkin'?

I have a man in my shower these morning because my neighbour, Steve, has frozen pipes - in his house, not his personal ones! (You guys would think that!) I found out he's been going to his mother's place to shower. That's a ten minute drive away! So I told him to come over and use ours as soon as he sees our lights on! He leaves for work at 6:45 so it works out fine for him. This morning I was a real doll and cooked him bacon and eggs - my last eggs! Good thing Harry wanted oatmeal as I sure don't feel like driving out to the Farm for more eggs!

*** Snow *** Snow *** Snow *** The drive to rehearsal was tricky but I made it on time and was home safely by 10:15. It looks like tonight's drive will be the same unless the darn stuff stops.

I'm sorry I don't have time to comment on everybody's post. Life is pretty hectic these days as I'm trying to keep Harry happy and also deal with rehearsals and early very organized dinner plus traffic through here! Darling Rob snuck in yesterday with a load of wood for us but we are out again so I need to go out to do that and shovel before yet another "official" visitor for Harry - a physiotherapist this time. She is coming at 11:30 - a very inconvenient time as Hersh and I leave for her job at 12:30! However, she doesn't get out to the boonies of Delta very often so I had to say yes. We have yet another person coming Friday morning - a bladder nurse! I'm not sure who she is coming for! Harry is not incontinent but who knows what's ahead.

As to the slow loading, the problem is not my ISP but the routing apparently - so they say! I am going to get my pal Rob to come in and check out the problem on his PC which is a different ISP. ( at Rob who lurks anyhow although he is a skinny guy! If he registers, don't take any advice from him! ) On the other hand, he is a mile closer to Texas so who knows!

Hugs to everyone. It's great to see so much posting.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:21 AM   #7  
Ready to Change

lessismore- I think that you may be right on the weight stall thing. I actually ate more yesterday and I am feeling better this morning not as tired. I started the morning out with and apple and a bowl of cereal. Glad your little one is feeling better we have had a terrible bout of the flu and colds around here people just keep getting and getting it. So far I have escaped the flu part had a cold for awhile but knock on wood. No colds lately. Talk to ya soon and have a great day.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:29 AM   #8  
Ready to Change

morning Ruthie we were posting at the same time. You are such a wonderful person. I hope I can meet you for real some day I would give you a big hug. I wish someone would make bacon and eggs for me. Sorry to hear that your drive was terrible I will keep my fingers crossed that you will have a better drive tonight. I will be thinking about you. Atleast you are getting lots of help for you and Harry. Take care.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:46 AM   #9  

Good morning All! NO SNOW DAY FOR US!!! Only got about 2 inches overnight and it's still snowing, but no hugh accumulations expected today either--curses!!
I had the day all planned......

Oh well, the good news is, that I lost 4 pounds total after my first week. I had been fluctuating between 3.5-4 but since today is the official weigh in, I am considering it a 4 pound loss. Okay, only six more before V-Day!
Old 01-28-2004, 09:00 AM   #10  

Hello everyone
It is great to read what you are all up to. We have a 'big freeze' happening in the uk this week, but that just means it has dropped below freezing and it has snowed four inches. Nothing like you ladies have to deal with. However, I have put my longjohns on anyway, because I like them. Part of the problem with cold over here is that nobody is quite ready for it. For example, people's cars wont start just because they are not really built for the cold. It took me twenty mins this morning to get the ice off the windscreen because all I had to do it with was my credit card (I love using my credit card.....for anything...... )

I bumped in to my next door neighbour while I was doing the car and she apologised for how much noise her kids make. So I had to (well, I did not have to, but I handled it badly.........) say 'oh that's fine'. Which I think it should be (they are children after all and I am being a grumpy old witch), but you know what? it is not fine with me! They are so noisy! Screamers. And the eldest is in her tantrum time and screams and screams. I dont actually mind that so much as the fact that to let off steam the mother lets them run back and forth over the wooden floor and up and down the stairs. Screaming. And I get fed up with it. Sorry to be intolerant. I am just......intolerant. I dont really mind the kid screaming thing, but why did I get the laissez-faire parent who just lets them express themselves fully? I thought I approved of that way of parenting until I had to live next door to it. I know. I am being a cow. I did actually say to the woman this morning 'yes, it is loud, it must be hard for you when she has tantrums' and the woman said 'oh its ok'. Hmm. It is a good thing I am not a parent isnt it? I would last about five minutes.

It feels very taboo to say I feel annoyed with children. Or with that one.

Well, too grumpy to write more now. I will check in again when I am feeling more forgiving.
xx
Old 01-28-2004, 09:21 AM   #11  

Wink Happy Wednesday.HUMP day AGAIN!!!

Happy Hump Day all!
It's snowing like a banshee here...messy roads full of slush turned ugly brown from the sanding trucks...yuck..I HATE dirty snow! Kids had school but busses were running late, and the road were awful. Time like these when I wish for a 4 wheel drive vehicle!
Well I pan fried my haddock last night without any flour But it was OK.
I think I used too much olive oil in the pan, as it didn't get crispy at all, but it tasted wonderful...so wonderful in fact, I ate all of it!!! OMG!!! It was nearly a pound of fish! But all I had with it was steamed brocolli. I am wondering if in Phase 2 we need to watch the portions? I was so hungry & half the piece just didn't do it for me...(If there was a piggy icon, I would add that here!)
I went back to eggs for breakfast this am, as the yogurt, fruit, cereal concoction I made yesterday had me starving by 8:30am! But I am modifying the egg routine...1 whole egg & 2 egg whites, poached. I DID have a piece of lean bacon too...oink...
Well, enough jabbering from me...I am wound up this morning...speaking of unruly kids..mine were mosnters this morning. Hitting & fighting...ugh.
I suppose they've been cooped up in the house for so long with all this cold weather...but still...
Ok...I better do some work!
Have a wonderful day girls,
Jan
Old 01-28-2004, 09:53 AM   #12  
Enthusiasm is contagious

Hi, All!!!

Clovey.....Honey, you are not an insensitive person! That neighbor is the neighbor from ****! She needs to take a parenting class, for sure! Speaking from the experience of being an Early Childhood teacher for many years, These kids are going to have real problems in school if she doesn't begin giving them some boundaries now.

Ellis....the Meatballs sound delish! Did DD help you make them? Do we all have the recipe? If not, think about sharing....OK?

Sorry everyone is having such crappy weather! It is sunny here today, but the temperature is 5 F!!!!!!! Now that is definitely too cold for me to go out into! We are supposed to get a high of 20. I must get the car cleaned today so that DH and I can begin to pack for outr trip on Friday. We're going way down in Florida.....Marco Island.....which is on the Gulf coast directly across the state from Miami. I've been tracking the weather lately, and it's around the 70's. That sounds just like Heaven to me!

Yesterday my SIL and I went out for lunch and a chat. Sat there over our grilled chicken breast and steamed veggies for a couple of hours getting caught up . It was a fun afternoon. She and I always do well together as far as eating. She is also very weight conscious(actually, we help each other stay on track!) and is a WW. I just don't do the processed food that she does anymore. She thinks I'm a bit nuts that I don't have "bars" anymore. We used to always have them for breakfast and snacks! I tried explaining about the instant sugar surge....but she can't see it. Oh, well, you can't change other people....only yourself. Right? And I'm enough to handle, anyway!

Today I'm getting the wash caught up, and some ironing so that we can begin packing. DH is getting the car checked, etc. Did I tell you that I have him doing dinners this week to keep me away from the kitchen and on "track?" Actually, he does better than me, and I am not doing any snacking while I'm preparing the food (because I am not in the kitchen). He likes to cook, so I say....go for it! Just keep it SB friendly. Last night he made baked chicken breast, spinach, squash, and a salad. It was quite good! No, ELLIS, and SFLAKE....I am not hiring him out!

Hugs and lots of wonderful wishes for a lovely day to all my SB friends! Talk more later!
Sharon
Old 01-28-2004, 01:15 PM   #13  

Sharon,
I'm in the process of booking our Apr. vacation to Marco Island. Have you been before? How is it??? Tell me its paradise! We're thinking of staying at the Hilton. My main criteria is that there is a long sandy beach. I've stayed at other beaches in FL and it was kind of pebbly instead of sandy. Anyway, any light you could shed would be appreciated.

Anne
Old 01-28-2004, 03:03 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon Chicks!!
Well, I'm definitely experiencing cabin fever!!! We havent left the house since early Sunday morning (to face the other crazy people getting bread and milk b-4 the storm hit). Where oh where are you Mr.Sunshine?!?!
My son is feeling better today but still recovering. Now I'm hoping the rest of the family doesnt get it. (Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes!)
I cannot wait to get back to the gym! Trying to workout at home is not cutting it, lol. I miss the treadmill and weights!
I may not respond to everyone but I do read your replies and keep you in my thoughts! All of you mean so much to me even though I dont know many of you very well, yet. It's truly a blessing to have a place to come when I need encouragment or support or just a friend. Thanks guys!!!!
I'm off to read the other posts from today, will check back in later!
Take care!!
Traci
Old 01-28-2004, 03:32 PM   #15  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Keeping it brief today. Having a crazy busy day today and it is only half over. Car repairs, grocery shopping, kiddie errands...tonight my "baby" goes for high school orientation. (EEK!!)

Ellis-I need to wash my hair, how about you?
Closed Thread