South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 04:24 AM   #1  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Default New to SBD

Hello everyone, my name is Karla. My boyfriend and I are beginning SBD tomorrow. We cleaned the cupboards and fridge today and restocked with only those foods allowed in phase 1. We have relied on pastas and rices as a staple to most evening meals. We both do love salads though, and I eat almost every veggy. He is a bit more picky about veggys, I'm hoping I can draw him into trying more. He only needs to lose about 30 pounds, but I have about 100 to lose. We are finally getting married next summer , and I would like to see at least 70 of it gone by then. I have been on numerous weight loss diets in my adult life. I did Optifast twice, The diet center, weight watchers and my own, portion control plan based on the Weigh Down diet. I lost weight with all of them. Usually 50-60 pounds, never reaching my goal weight. I typically would stabalize at that weight loss for a year, maybe 2 and then slowly the pounds would creep back on me. I have recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my spine. I know that the quality of my life, especially trying to become as pain free as possible, depends on weight loss and exercise as a habit for the rest of my life. I am 37 years old, and I don't want to spend another day regretting that I haven't lost this weight. I am hoping to find inspiration and support here. I have been to this website several times, looking at information and recipes, and I finally decided to become a part of the exchanging of information. My ID here is in reference to my dogs... We have 2 retired racing greyhounds...they are quite the skinny dogs and sooooo loving and low maintenance. So, if any of you out there are looking for a new companion, I can highly recommend a greyhound.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:37 AM   #2  
Mous

Welcome to the Beach.

I applaud you on the decision to lose weight and keep it off.

Plese remember that this is a way of life.

Think health.

Throw away the word diet and replace it with health.

Moderation, determination, and a goal will help you over the rough spots.

Don't worry over the numbers. They will come down.

You CAN and WILL do this.

We all are here for the both of you.

Together your journey will be a happy successful one.

Journal, post and eat!

Eat till full, rely on your food list and ask questions.

See you on the Daily Just Chat thread.

CONGRATULATIONS on making this the first day of the rest of your life.

Marcie
Old 11-03-2003, 06:38 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning, Karla. Anybody with two dogs is a friend of mine!

This is a wonderful eating plan and you will love it. That BF will get more into veggies as time goes on.

Be sure to snoop around all the site and post any questions. Be sure to join us on Just Chat.

WELCOME!
Old 11-03-2003, 07:08 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, Karla!
You can do this, girl!!
Assuming you don't have children, I'd suggest getting the pasta and rice and stuff OUT OF THE HOUSE! (everytime I go into the pantry and see that stuff I start to drool)
Like your boyfriend I'm not big on vegetables, but with this plan I feel more receptive to eating them. I KNOW they're good for me. (although I'd rather eat chips and chocolate )
Good luck!
Old 11-03-2003, 07:44 AM   #5  
Imagine...

Hi welcome to the beach!
Old 11-03-2003, 07:50 AM   #6  
GARDENING ADDICT

Hi Karla, Welcome to the beach.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:07 AM   #7  
Sunshine

S/C/G: 219/211.4/140

Height: 5'6

welcome welcome....I did all the same die-ts too. SBD is soooo much better. More realistic a a way of life. Keep coming back. You will LOVE the comraderie!!!!
Old 11-03-2003, 08:31 AM   #8  

Welcome... I love this plan. Just a little hint that I wish someone would have given me when I started. If you are used to eating pastas, rice and other high fiber foods, be careful during the first phase as one of the problems is constipation. Might not be a pleasant subject but it's not a pleasant feeling either. Some people use metamucil those first two weeks and it's actually reccommended in the book. I've also heard that benefiber is much more pleasant to take.

Good luck I think you'll love this way of eating.. you will not be hungry and you will lose your cravings and you will be amazed at your newfound will power . I think it's great that you will be doing this together..that always helps.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:07 AM   #9  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

WELCOME KARLA!!! SBD is really great!! Come post on the daily threads!!
Old 11-03-2003, 10:17 PM   #10  
WW Moderator

Welcome, Karla! My husband and I started about 3.5 weeks ago. He doesn't have much to lose, either. He is doing it to help me stay on plan. You're lucky! This is the best I have ever done, and I think it is partly because of the plan, and partly because of the support from here, and my husband. I lose weight EXCRUTIATINGLY slow, but I can handle that now, whereas I easily gave up in the past. Good luck to you and your husband!
Closed Thread