South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 05:35 AM   #1  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Default Boot Camp Challenge Day 36-Kick it up a Notch!

Okay, troops! It is apparent that some of us are struggling to get it in gear! I propose a two step plan to combat this problem.

First, we figure out what is NOT working for us! Then, we figure out ways to make a positive change!

So, open forum time. If you are struggling, do you know why? What is causing the biggest problem for you? What part of the trinity is hardest to stick to?

What was your biggest challenge in September? Was food a solace for you when things got rough? I want to hear how YOU think you did last month, and if you are happy with the way you navigated the waters, so to speak. Be as specific as you can. "I didn't eat on plan" may not be enough information to figure out what the problem is. "I let myself get too hungry on several occasions and then I ate off plan" will be more helpful when it comes time to figure out solutions.

So, let's hear it!

Group Activity for Week of 9/28 - 1414

You guys are really doing well and seem to have a great attitude about the start of a new month. I like the idea of a clean slate and fresh start!

I have a couple ideas for cutting down on your soda consumption, Little Chick. If you buy liter bottles, buy cans instead. Instant portion control, plus it will be easier to cut back a can at a time. Cut back very slowly, like one less glass a day for a week or so. Then when that isn't a problem you can cut back another glass. Maybe you can alternate a glass of soda with a glass of water. You can have all the soda you want but you have to drink that much water too! As for getting to like water, I have a couple of things you might try. You can add some Crystal Lite to the water...some people say even just a little bit helps a lot. I would think that even full strength Crystal Lite would be better for you than soda because the carbonation is so bad for bone density-and this is not a myth! I would think that green tea would be a great alternative, too. You might just have to figure out other drinks that you can stand that are better than soda? Maybe someone else has some good ideas for you. I happen to love water and rarely (2 times a year?) drink soda.

So, troops, the challenge for today is to reflect on September. Did you meet your goals? Did you have goals? What was your downfall? Where did you find success? Speak up!

Have a great day! Squadron, dismissed!
Old 10-02-2003, 08:56 AM   #2  

Can I please join this Bootcamp? My name is Anita, I am 36 years old, and I have to lose 70#s.

I live in Germantown, MD (suburbs of Washington DC), I have a beautiful daughter who is 9 and a wonderful hubby of 10 years.

Look forward to hearing if I can joing this group.

Anita
Old 10-02-2003, 09:01 AM   #3  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

yes sargent. I am reporting is this morning and you are so right. I have to get grocries on the week-end and I will try this diet coke in a can thing it just might work. My problem is I HATE water. I do have some crystal lite in the cupboard so I think I will march right in there and make some up. So does the CL count towards your water. Thanks for the help. Have a wonderful day.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:24 AM   #4  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Anita, welcome aboard, recruit! You are more than welcome to just jump right in! We are very informal here...even if it is "Boot Camp!"

Little Chick, I would think that CL would count towards your water total. I know they say coffee and other caffienated drinks don't because they dehydrate you. But since that isn't the case with CL I don't think that applies? Anyone else have any thoughts?

Gotta get some sleep! I'll check in later!
Old 10-02-2003, 10:01 AM   #5  

Frannymae- Thanks so much for the welcome. I am on Phase 1 day 5 and have lost 3#s so far. Really psyched about getting this weight off. Was on Atkins, but really was looking for something I could do for the rest of my life.

Anita

Starting Weight 225.5
Current Weight 212.5
Goal Weight 200 (October 31)
Goal Weight 140
Old 10-02-2003, 10:03 AM   #6  

Anita!!! Welcome to the best group of supportive, wonderful, kind, empathetic, deep, philosophical, fantabulous women that you have ever met! This is a great site and we're happy to have you!!! Good luck with your weight, but especially in getting HEALTHIER!

L'Chick - When I was on Atkins, the book said that too much aspertame sweetener could stall the weight loss. I don't know if it is true. Also, the soda thing could also be an addiction to caffein. Maybe try decaf sodas before making the jump to no sodas??? Ease into it. I drink decaf diet coke and CL lemon iced tea in addition to a few (not enough) water. I definately drink more water if it is in my hand. I buy the sport-top type bottles and refill them and carry them everywhere. That's the only time I drink!!!

Well Sarge, I have no willpower (or very weak at best) from about 3pm through dinner. I "need" to snack and it doesn't seem to be enough or something!!! I've stocked up on snack foods including celery and natural peanutbutter or light laughing cow cheese... V8 juice and low-fat cottage cheese and fresh tomatoes and low-fat cheesesticks... I want something else after I've had my snack or even 2!!! How could I be hungry? But I don't think I'm bored either. Maybe stressed? I pick up the kids and then have to give them a snack; then it's homework time...or chauffer them everywhere... SIGH!

Hugs,
Old 10-02-2003, 10:04 AM   #7  
Imagine...

Little Chick here are some of my wierd water habbits. I can't drink it if it's too cold. It's easier for me to drink it out of a botttle insted of a glass. Sometimes I top it off with SF ice tea. Hope it helps ya

Lets see September..... I realized I am a stress eater, so now I am looking to control stress better. Like thru activity, breathing deep, music etc....

Exercise was my biggest slip last month as I had the flu and just plain old didn't feel like it. But am feeling better and getting back to it. Thought that if I got up earlier I could do it in the am, so far not so good, to warm & toasty to get up to exercise. So I will continue to get it done in the evening. I just have to set my mind to it and the laundry & housework just make time for me!

Been thinking a lot about the emotional side of weight loss. You don't need to have had a bad childhood for emotions to surface and get ya like I used to think. I have been tapeing & watching that Dr. phil show to see if I can find some insights into myself.

The only other problem I have is the weekends. I think the lack of structure is my downfall. So now I am going to schedule my time by writing it down on a list. Even if it's lame things like have a snack, drink water etc... I am a list nut and just love crossing completed items off so this might work for me. I am also branching out in the cooking dept. 1 new thing per week and so far so good with that.

WOW who wound me up this am very chatty today. Anyway thats just me, thanks for listening. Hugs & Smiles to all

Last edited by sflake; 10-02-2003 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:07 AM   #8  
Imagine...

Hi Anita welcome great group of ladies here! At least I think we are all ladies no men on SBD?
Old 10-02-2003, 10:14 AM   #9  
Enthusiasm is contagious

Morning Sarge Franny!!

Ready to report for duty! I'm kicking it up a notch today, and walking my 45 minutes + 20 minutes abs and weights.

Littlechick.....I do remember from my WW days that Crystal Light does count as water. You may also count ice tea. However, you really should try to drink some straight so as to get the pure H2o with no added chemicals for your body to process out. I got into the Water habit when I had to drink 8 glasses a day for WW. By the time I get in my 8 for the day + a couple cups of coffee, I don't have any more room! Just take small little steps toward establishing your water intake. It really works!

Anita......Welcome, hon!

We're so glad to have you join us! This is the healthiest WOL ever! Jump right in to the dailies for a shot of motivation each day. We all try to help each other!

Good Luck on Phase 1!
~Sharon
Old 10-02-2003, 10:25 AM   #10  
Enthusiasm is contagious

Hey, Sflake and Robin!!!!!

We must have posted at the same time. Didn't mean to not greet you both!

Robin......afternoon snacks are also my tough time! I think that just so you're aware of this, you can plan for that hungry time by saving your snacks for that particular time of the day. I guess planning is crucial. I had a really busy day day yesterday, and knew I would get really hungry while grocery shopping, so I took a baggy filled with the roasted Chickpeas (Ruth's recipe) to munch on in WalMart. I didn't care who stared!!

Sflake.....I am a "list" person also. I started a Food/Feelings/ Exercise journal a couple of weeks ago. This is really helping me to be honest with myself. I'm proud of you for trying to improve your cooking! I have a feeling that October is going to be a great month for you!

Bye again, everyone....I'm off to exercise!
Old 10-02-2003, 10:39 AM   #11  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Thanks for the tips I will go try that now.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:39 PM   #12  
Enthusiasm is contagious

Franny.......
Here's an update! I kicked it up a notch and did an hour and 15 minutes of brisk walking this morning!!!!!!!!
Woo-Hoo!!
Add that to my talley!
Thanks.......Sharon
Old 10-02-2003, 03:53 PM   #13  

Hi! I almost forgot to add in my time for today... I was on the step machine for 34 minutes! The machine looks a lot neater without DH's clothes hanging on it!!

Hugs and More H2O!!!
Old 10-02-2003, 04:33 PM   #14  

Just a quick hi for now, working hard at work (imagine that!).

I got 20 minutes of exercise this morning! YAY!

Welcome Anita!

Tricia
Old 10-02-2003, 04:52 PM   #15  

Welcome Anita! You will love it here. Lots of good advice from good people.

I still havent's started exercising, but checking in with you guys is starting to prick my conscience! I did dig out the pedometer at least!

Franny you're right about the caffeine. Not too good, but I was told any drink with water counts towards your whole days worth. But, pure plain old water is really the best for us.

Keep up the good work chickies! :flow:
Closed Thread