South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 03:39 AM   #1  
Work in Progress

Default The power of words

I was having dinner tonight with an old friend. We were talking about my recent commitment to lose weight, but my fear about the weight coming back on---again. This may have been a theory that has spoken many times, but each time that I hear it, it still is a good remider for me, and I thought to share.

Just like prayer, positive thinking how we speak to ourselves is very powerful. One of the things that I want to begin to change about how I speak of about my weight is that I am not "losing" weight, but I am "giving it away" losing connotates that it needs to be found, and since I am more afraid of the weight coming back, I am not interested in losing it...I want it to melt away, shed, given away and any other ways it can be phrased.

There is something about this that is really sticking with me.....it just makes sense.

Any thoughts?

-rb
Old 09-07-2003, 06:05 AM   #2  
Mous

Affirmations are a staple for this WOL.

I have always said throw away the word "diet" and replace it with health.
Then remember that
HEALTH is our goal
and weight loss is our gift.

Marcie
Old 09-07-2003, 08:12 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Good point, Rowan.
I think I will choose to "discard" this weight. (no recycling, please!) It weighs heavy on my heart.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:30 AM   #4  

I will take that on as a new mantra for myself. I am "giving it away" not losing it.
koalabear
Old 09-07-2003, 10:14 AM   #5  
In Control: E+R=O

Rowan, you are right on target! Positive thinking is what it's all about!! I've been trying to concentrate on not telling myself "I can't have that, I'm on a diet", but rather "I can have that if I really want it, but I choose not to right now, knowing that if I want it another time I may choose to have it then". That takes away the negative statement "I can't have it" and replaces it with a positive statement "I can if I want but choose not to right now". Amazingly enough, it does seem to work.....most of the time.....once in a while I do choose to have something, but then don't beat myself up tooo much about it.

I too try to avoid using the term "lost". I like "released"....I read that somewhere, someone else was using that, and I really liked it. "Released" reminds me of set free....gone.....never to return!! I also like discarded....like trash!
Old 09-07-2003, 11:55 AM   #6  
Enthusiasm is contagious

I love the idea of "Releasing...or discarding" instead of losing. Positive thinking is such an important aspect of our self esteem...which has a definite connection to ALL we do in our lives.

We can never have successful relationships with others until we get our own self image built up. I, too, am working so hard to have a better self image, Rowan. A healthy lifestyle is the starting point!
~Sharon
Old 09-07-2003, 02:06 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Releasing! Lovely term. Now I just need to convince it to go!
Old 09-07-2003, 05:13 PM   #8  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Yes, I need to convince my adipous (sp?) to become one with the universe and leave me the **** alone.
Closed Thread