South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/170/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Surprise carbs of the day

Soy sauce...what? How did I not know this?
Making Kalyn's Asian turkey lettuce wraps for SB1, she noted Tamari is better, but recipe called for soy sauce, which I had, 4T! So, I check the label & wow! 3g per tsp! Doesn't seem bad but x4T=36g in the recipe by my calculations. I cut it by half & upped some other flavors, still delicious. Tamari's on my grocery list.
Be careful, chicks✌
Ceneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 5"

Cenari, don't forget that SB is GOOD carbs not NO carbs. For example, a serving of broccoli has 4 carbs. I focus on the ingredient list and if there is added sugar. Remember milk has natural sugars so plain yogurt will show both sugar and carbs, as an example.

So I wonder, did your soy sauce have added sugar?
(in the US, sugar is added to everything! When I started SB and learned to read labels I realized my favorite spaghetti sauce had 13 grams of added sugar per serving. No wonder I loved it!)

Last edited by Beth19; 07-19-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Beth19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #3  

I will certainly pay closer attention to labels. It is criminal the sugar, salt & mystery stuff that's added in processed foods. It's also frustrating how much it can vary. I have noticed if something claims 'low...' whatever, it usually tips something else. The soy sauce was low sodium, so likely added more sugar. I'm just going to find the good stuff & stick with it, but then there's cost! 😣
Old 07-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #4  

Soy sauce obsession 2.0: Ok, so, I misread the bottle in my pantry. The serving is T, not t. Still, another low sodium brand has 1g vs the other's 3g, yes, with added sugar!
Grocery shopping has become a label reading game of frustration. The stuff that varies wildly is mind boggling.
My days of price shopping are over.

Last edited by Ceneri; 07-20-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #5  

Height: 5' 5"

Cenari, I remember the same feeling when I first started SB! Don't worry, after a while you will start to learn which brands are "safe".

Don't get discouraged!
Beth19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:20 PM   #6  

Thanks, Beth. After you mentioned spaghetti sauce I checked what I had, sure enough, 12g sugar. I probably spent 10mins reading sauce labels mumbling to myself in the store, and didn't buy ANY!!!... lol 🙄 I'll be better prepared next time.

Last edited by Ceneri; 07-21-2018 at 01:21 PM.