South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-23-2017, 02:50 PM   #1  

Default Phase 1 fright

hello everyone,

I still havent started on SB. I really think phase 3 is the lifestyle i want but getting there is really worrying me. Would going straight to 2 or 3 work or do i have to go through 1?

I know it might sound like an excuse but i honestly dont know how id manage without fruit for 2 weeks - any ideas?

ATM my daily menu is
Cereal with milk
fruit snack
salad or wrap for lunch
fruit yogurt for snack
dinner with at least some carbs inc pasta

As you can see, phase 1 would be a big change - any tips what i can replace the above with? Im quite fussy about food and dont like much fish (haddock or tinned tuna only) or much meat (mostly beef mince or chicken breast), i only like a handful of cheeses, eggs are a bit iffy unless they are accompanied by bread and mayo.

I have no idea what i could have for breakfasts, snacks and dinners. Lunch i could probably just alter my salad a bit for the phase 1 stage.

I really need help please.
Bigpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello!

I know you had ordered the book. Have you read it yet? It explains in detail why it's a good idea to do phase 1 for a full 2 weeks. I have been doing South Beach since 2009. I did phase 1 for two weeks and Did it proper. I'm glad I did. Now, I usually stay between phase 2 and phase 3. If my weight is going up, I moderate my processed carbs but still eat fruit.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

I agree with Debbie. I too did P1 when I started. It's only two weeks. I couldn't wait to have an apple. The first two weeks without carbs really helps you "detox" so to speak and help eliminate cravings. Just my opinion, but your sample menu (cereal, wrap and pasta) would not be suitable for any of the phases. If I remember correctly its 1 grain daily. White flour products have a lot of hidden sugar in them. There are a lot and I mean a lot of great recipes posted here broken down by each phase.
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #4  

how did you do it? what did you eat?

A lot of the recipes on here dont sound like i would enjoy them or that they wouldnt fill me up
Old 07-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 5"

Just adding my 2 cents worth.

Previous to SB I ate a lot like you do; I could hardly imagine breakfast without toast and OJ, or lunch without a sandwich. I did a clean Phase I and was amazed at how I re-programmed my eating. Now it seems weird not to have veggies at breakfast! (I know not everyone here agrees with that statement, lol)

Like Debbie said, hopefully you read the book. Then check out the sticky "Prepare yourself to start" which is under the FAQ section. There are tons of other threads with good information there.

If you are like me, you have already tried a gazillion diets. 2 weeks of no fruit or bread really isn't that extreme; you will be amazed how you can fill your plate with veggies with a little planning.

I think if you could plan out the 2 weeks and stick with it for that short amount of time (and in the grand scheme of your life, 2 weeks is a short time) you might be pleased enough with the results to keep with it.

Feel free to ask all the questions you want and post meal plans if you want feedback!
Beth19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #6  

i know i probably just need to challenge my idea of what is breakfast, lunch and dinner foods.

i'll poke around more but what did you all eat for breakfast? for me it needs to be quick and easy and not be eggs.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #7  

Personally, I like eggs, so I'm not much help there. When I didn't eat eggs, I would do deli meat rolled with cheese and pepper strips, or the mini cheesecakes or bean muffins.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/brea...n-muffins.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/brea...heesecake.html

In both cases I would try to add some sort of veggie such as V-8, celery or pepper strips, or any other veggie.

I'm guessing you already saw this but will just point out this thread:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-...ives-eggs.html

Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:15 AM   #8  

My go to breakfast is a smoothie. Unsweetened vanilla almond milk, plain non fat Greek yogurt, cocoa powder and peanut butter (no sugar or added oils). I add a tablespoon of psyllium husk fiber (Im not the most regular person lol). It's quick, easy and I enjoy on my drive to work. I don't tend to have veggies for breakfast.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:09 PM   #9  

thanks! i might try those bean muffins.

Does a smoothie fill you up? im worried about being hungry (no negative comments about this please)
Old 07-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #10  

One other thought:
I think Jennifer will agree with me that having a go-to meal is helpful. If you could find 1-3 breakfast and lunch combinations that you like, just stick with those for at least the 1st 2 weeks. As she said, many of us have 1 breakfast we always eat; I always have a variation of a salad for lunch. Then you don't even have to think about it, you only have to figure out your dinner.

Some people find eliminating the guesswork of what to eat helps.

Last edited by Beth19; 07-26-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #11  

these sound amazing!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/brea...r-muffins.html

has anybody made them and know how many i should get out of it and what a serving is?
Old 07-27-2017, 04:42 PM   #12  

Personally I have never made this recipe, but looking at quantities there is 8 oz of cream cheese (I suggest using Neufchatel lowfat rather than fat free) and 2 Tbsp of peanut butter. Phase I guidelines allow 2 Tbsp of peanut butter per day. So I would make 6-8 and call a serving 1 (or make a dozen and eat 2).

When you get to phase II these are great for breakfast, snack or dessert:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dess...sy-things.html

Last edited by Beth19; 07-27-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #13  

those sound good Beth. Not sure id get the can of pumpkin here in UK- could i use fresh? if yes, would it be the same amount?
Old 07-29-2017, 07:40 AM   #14  

Not sure about the pumpkin. Try searching conversions on the internet. Yes my smoothie keeps me full. I drink it around 6 on my commute to work. I have a light snack around 10:30 (100 c pre packaged nuts or cherries) I do go over SB's recommended serving of nuts per day. The nice thing about SB is you can tweak it to make it work for you.