South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 07:38 PM   #1  

Default butter

hi i saw ruth state butter is a no no but i dont see it on forbidden foods or allowed and i thought he said okay sparingly although iam dont recall if that was from one of his chat sesions or in the book somewhere?? iam confused today arnt i?!!! thanks julbee
Old 08-31-2003, 08:07 PM   #2  

Hi ...

I grabbed my book to check, and it seems you are right regarding the butter being on the restricted list ... the only thing I can find is in recipes he puts Smart Balance spread ... but then again, butter isn't on the allowed list either ... is there sugar in butter ??? (I never use it) ... could be that's the reason ???
Old 08-31-2003, 09:30 PM   #3  
Enthusiasm is contagious

About the Butter....Yum-m-m-m! But !!

After looking it up in the book, I don't think the Dr. would consider it to be one of the "good" heart healthy fats. The two best choices are considered to be olive and canola oils.

I sometimes use the spray "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" in recipes as a replacement. It's not bad.
And it's legal, and doesn't clog up your arteries.

Hope this helps. Have a good weekend!
Old 09-01-2003, 08:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 175/172/125

Height: 4'9"

Yesterday dh grilled steaks and he rubbed butter all over his and put I Can't Believe It's Butter on mine before marinating it. I loved it. I can't taste the difference.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:48 AM   #5  
In Control: E+R=O

Butter is a saturated fat. Most margarines are partially hydrogenated trans-fats (unless they state specifically that they are trans-fat free). Neither of these are good for you....both are artery-clogging unhealthy fats. If you have to choose between butter or margarine, choose butter, because between the two of these, saturated fat is the lesser of the two evils (meaning that trans-fats are worse for you than saturated fats)....but again, neither are good for you. I hope this information helps.
Closed Thread