South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default Questions about arrowroot

I've got a couple of questions about arrowroot. I know we can use it as a thickener in place of flour in sauces:

1. Do you use the same measurement? 1 tbsp. to 1 tbsp.?
2. Does it taste of licorice? I'm not sure why I think it might.
3. After Phase 1, is it really necessary to sub for a small amount of flour? For instance, last night I made a recipe that had 2 tbsp. of flour as a thickener for 4 servings. Less than 1 tbsp. a serving. On Phase 2, would it be necessary to sub? Or do we just save carbs where we can?
4. Finally: where do you get it? If you can get it at the supermarket, what section?

Last edited by Mmckellen; 08-01-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

CyndiM would probably know best I bet if you googled Arrowroot you may find conversion amounts. Me personally use whole wheat flour if I am making cutlets. When I bake I use coconut or almond flour. Not sure if that helps you. I don't believe a small amount of flour in a recipe will make a huge difference in your weightloss. I buy some of my "unique" groceries on a Amazon. Is there a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in Brooklyn? I believe both carry it. I know my Shoprite does.
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I use it in place of cornstarch. It shows up a lot in paleo and gluten free baking. It's a 1:1 for cornstarch replacement, probably similar for flour. You can definitely use whole wheat in Phase 2. It doesn't have a licorice taste, I hate licorice so I'd notice that Bob's Red Mill carries it so easier to find than it used to be.

Last edited by CyndiM; 08-03-2014 at 07:59 AM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #4  

Height: 5'8"

Thanks Cyndi. I can get a large selection of Bob's stuff near me, plus my friend is starting SBD with me this week so she might split a huge bag with me.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote